11 Queens Dr, Montego Bay, Jamaica, Caribbean

Costs 30% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about El Greco Resort

My stay at El Greco

by TripAdvisor Member saundy

My stay at the El Greco Resort was pretty good. The reviews that I read prior to staying there were all pretty accurate. It did have a tropical feel especially for being in the actual city of Montego Bay.

The suite was nice and spacious. They cleaned the room promptly, but I wished that they put more than two sets of towels in the room. I guess if you requested more they can give them to you. The included breakfast (Jamaican buffet) was good but I've never had a buffet where I couldn't have seconds so that surprised me. However, after the first morning everyday that I ate breakfast I was pretty full with one serving.

The elevator that you take to get down to the hip strip was convenient but you have to run and jump into the elevator fast because the door closes quickly, at least it did when I was there. Doctor's Cave beach was a nice place to chill out. The water was beautiful and clear but cold to me.

Overall my stay at El Greco was nice, the only I really didn't like was that we paid the local rate for Jamaicans but they were upon arrival they asked for $60 refundable deposit provided that you don't use the phone or other amenities, but they could have told us that up front when the reservation was made so that we would have been expecting it.

So if you're planning to take a trip that's a less expensive than the big resorts then this is the place to take it.

Not the highlight of our trip to Jamaica

We planned a last minute trip and the taxi driver brought us here. El Greco is located above the busy Hip Strip with lovely views and gardens. The hotel is similiar to a Howard Johnsons. Very industrial and well, common. The staff were not overly accommodating. Breakfast included was like a cafeteria. We were hustled into a seat and quickly served..this place caters to hurry up and get out mentality...

We had a room with two bedrooms and a large living and dining area. It was ample but well, cold and drab. It did not feel like a Caribbean property but more New Jersey. We had a view of the dumpsters.

The staff knew I was a travel agent, offered NO discount and did not seem to care that I was present. The bell staff were AMAZING..I will say this..

So, would I go back? You guess.. We stayed one night and headed elsewhere. I would suggest the same. Our family gave the El Greco another name I will not print here...u go figure..

Great Value, Accomodating Staff

by TripAdvisor Member Cobhaden

We just returned from a 5 night stay at El Greco. I found the 2 bedroom suite to be as advertised, and that means it was spacious, clean and well maintained. My husband and I were traveling with 2 teenagers. If you asked for something, there was definitely an effort to accomodate you. We knew that we would need a second TV for the teens, and we were accomodated. I have finicky teens, and the American breakfast was not up to snuff 2 days in a row. I advised the management, and I found that they made the attempt to satisfy me, and they did too. My family was catered to, and the executive chef came to our table to make sure that we were happy. I felt that the staff was very efficient and caring. Any need or desire that was made known was addressed. And a special thanks to Ms. Cammock on the front desk. We would definitely return to El Greco.

Tropical beauty

I read many reviews before going there most were good few were not so good, one review said the place did not reflect a tropical setting, that was far from the truth the grounds is well maintaind with some of the most lovly tropical trees and plants every where you look. my room was 99% accurate to the picture on the website, and was cleaned imaculatly every day the security was very good the staff was very pleasant, the breakfast was also very good, get to it on time though when its done its done. Overall from now on when i go to Jamaica this is where i intend to stay did'nt want to leave.

Great Value and Clean

My grandaughter(teenager) and I just returned from a 8 day vacation. El Greco is a great value for the money we paid. The rooms were clean and everything was in working order. The staff was great except for the front desk staff. They were professional, but a little rude.

The food was hot, good and plentiful. We only took the free breakfast and ate our meal at several nice resteraunts on the Hip Strip. Which was not so hit. A lot of hassle to buy drugs and crafts. We had a room by the tennis courts and it was peaceful. I would stay here again.

Great Place

by TripAdvisor Member negrilnative

I have stayed at El greco for the last 3 vacations.
I love the cleanliness of the apartments as well as the location. I do find the front desk staff to be very rude and not much of a great help, but the bell guys are very very friendly and helpful. The housekeepers always do an excellent job. If you are looking for a clean, safe and an affordable place, please reserve your unit at El Greco.

I love this place

by TripAdvisor Member Cribluvr2

My last two times visiting Jamaica I stayed at El Greco. I am planning my next trip in Jan. and plan to stay there again. I don't believe you could ask for a more pleasant and accomodating staff. The suites are very clean and pleasently decorated, room safes which are very convient. Your own private balcony, there were days my mate and I just sat on the balcony and enjoyed the scenery and fragrant blossoms and a cold Red Stripe which you can purchase on site, sooooo relaxing. I pitty you should you pass up the great Jamaican breakfast El Greco searves. Down the street just a short distance is Margaritterville, great food at moderate prices, across the street is Doctor Cove beach the hotel will give you a day pass. There are some very good resturants in the area where you can enjoy your meals at very reasonable prices. In the morning, if you are an early riser get up and enjoy the beautiful sun rise. I will say this, I have been traveling to Jamaica for fifteen years or more and to stay at a hotel more than once is very unnusaul for me. I love El Greco and will continue to be a guest there.

Convenient location, helpful staff, relaxing tropical ambience

Just returned from a relaxing, enjoyable 3-night stay at El Greco, 12/13-16. Lovely grounds, clean spacious suites-- bigger than my NYC apt! Very friendly and accomodating staff. Front desk staff very nice and helpful (contrary to earlier reviews; but if you greet people with a smile and hello, you'll always get good service). No problem changing from a suite near a slightly noisy road to quiet space in D block; could glimpse the sea on the horizon from my bedroom. Otherwise the 'view' from the terrace and livingroom was a parking lot; but this was nicely landscaped with flowers, bamboo and palms, so I enjoyed the tropical ambience and peeping crickets at night. Very relaxing! Beautiful views from restaurant terrace, with good Jamaican breakfast; for those who can't face ackee and saltfish in the AM, an American breakfast is fine. Free beach passes and towels for Doctor's Cave Beach, down 14 flights in an elevator in a neighboring hotel (Montego Bay Beach Club); there are guards on each end so it's safe, although the passage from the elevator and stairs to Gloucester Ave can feel weird. Beach entrance across the street. You definitely get pestered on the HipStrip by taxi drivers, tour operators, and vendors; while this can be annoying, I never once felt threatened. As a female travelling solo, this was a concern for me beforehand, but overall, it was 'no problem, mon'-- just smile, say no thanks, and keep going. Can walk to good restaurants like The Native, Marguerite's; and Groovy Grouper on the beach had delicious escovitched red snapper and mango dacquiris--Perfect place to watch the sunset over the Caribbean. The azure sea is beautiful, great for swimming/floating; beach uncrowded and safe. Overall, highly recommended area and hotel, for independent travellers seeking quiet relaxation.

Jamaica is not the US

I liked the El Greco- I saw it as it is--a clean and adequate place to stay. Why go to another culture if you are going to lock yourself into an exclusive self-contained resort? Sure I was hassled on the streets, but that is the way of tourist places where people are very desperate to make enough to live. I did not feel unsafe, but I used the good sense I would also use if I visited New York or Chicago. I walked along the hip strip and hated it, but I also hate places like Wisconsin Dells and Las Vegas. Once off of Goucester Avenue, you are downtown among real Jamaicans buying and selling and there are good bakeries , local patty shops, and actual supermarkets, unlike the small high-priced convenience stores near the beach. The Jamaican breakfast which came with the room was filling enough that I ate only very light lunches late in the day. I had to let the staff know that I wanted more than one cup of coffee, but after that, they were more accomodating. I was sure to tip generously for maid service--these folks need it. Always negotiate the taxi fare before agreeing to a ride and it won't feel so much like price gouging.

Was great for me!

Just returned from Mobay and the El Greco. the apartment was very nice and clean. Only downfall is that there is no A/C unit in the living room, but fortunately this time of season was not as blisteringly hot and humid as the summer months. Hence, having the doors and windows open with the ceiling fan swirling were adequate most of the days. Besides, I only sleep in the room, otherwise I am outside in the heat anyway. The front desk personnel were exceptionally friendly and helpful as were the food and beverage personnel, only during breakfast, the service was slow because of many guests present, and the first day i had to ask for refreshes on coffee and water, but after that they were always readily serving and refilling with a smile. There is no view of the ocean but the grounds are beautiful and the ocean view is easily obtained from the restaurant area and it is breathtaking. Access to the beach is by an elevator and across the street. That was not inconvenient for me at all and the beach and water were luscious. The 'hip strip' is interesting but of course exceptionally touristy. I tend to stray from the tourist areas to mingle where the natives hang out and doing this I found an excellent 'hole in the wall' restaurant in downtown called "smokey Joes' cafe" and the food was authentic (no subtle americanizing) scrumptious, abundant and inexpensive. I will return and would certainly be willing to stay at El Greco! thank you to all the staff for your hospitality and sincere welcome. Your island and countrymen are the best of all the islands I have visited.

Much love, Kimmie

Old Fort Craft MarketOld Fort Craft Market

Stone bridge on Great RiverStone bridge on Great River

Dunn Falls Near its Ocean OutletDunn Falls Near its Ocean Outlet

Me and my husband at dinner in Mo BayMe and my husband at dinner in Mo Bay

Spring Break Accomodation

by bartpar19

Hi,

We are travelling to Montego Bay for spring break between the 8 - 12th March 2010, we are looking for shared accommodation in any form. We are relaxed easy going Aussies from Western Australia, Male and Female and we aren't a couple. Definately looking for fun, why else would we go at this time.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Cheers
Bart

Re: Spring Break Accomodation

by Odinnthor

I can guarantee that you will enjoy yourself in Mobay. Your best be will likely be finding ahostel in the Mobay area. Try to make it to Kingston though, - although people are always told to stay away from Kingston, it is BS. Kingston is no more dangerous than New York or Sydney. It is the heart and soul of Jamaica and if you have not been to Kingston, - you have not been to Jamaica. Try to get to the Bob Marley museum and Tuff Gong studios.

Here are some hostel sites for you to check out and some others. Enjoy jamaica man! Evryting is iree no bwoy.....d:o)

This is a "travelbuddy" site where you may find other like minded people:

Here are some others to get you in the mood......d:o)

.....and my own reggae page.......just for a kicker.......d:o)

Enjoy Jah Town and Mobay me bredren, - 'cause everyting goin' be allrite, - iree!! One love!

Comments