Emerald Escape Beach Resort

Reading, Montego Bay, Jamaica, Caribbean

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Montego Bay

Danger fire hazardDanger fire hazard

Great River - Montego Bay - JamaicaGreat River - Montego Bay - Jamaica

Man made assistance for coral growthMan made assistance for coral growth

Burning Spear performing at Reggae FestivalBurning Spear performing at Reggae Festival

Sandals Carlyle Inn/Safety in Montego Bay for African-Americans

by dhill05

My Husand & I & another couple are staying at this resort on May 20,2010. We would like to know if anyone has any advice/warnings about this resort & also safety & shopping in Montego Bay.We are African-Americans & we have heard that the locals aren't to fond of African-Americans?

by Durfun

Not true re the cold reception. Jamaica is Afro-American, & now things have changed. Don't worry, yiu'll be fine.

Several of my Afro-Am friends just returned from there & had a thorough blast!!

by Odinnthor

Well, I am partial to Jamaica, having lived there for a while back in the day. I have also taken my African American wife there several times and always been greeted with "niceness', so, nutin' lik one love in Jah Town bwoy. Dem bloodclots no goin' botha you. Dem people talkin' 'bout JA, know not what dem talkin' 'bout.

So go ahead and enjoy my Jamaica. I will add this. Most people that go to Jamaica, never go to Kingston, ususally due to being told that it is dangerous. It is no more dangerous than say, New York. If you have not been to Kingston, you really have not been to Jamaica. Yes I am biased, I spent considerable time in Jah Town. Being a huge reggae fan, to miss the Bob Marley Museum is a crime. However this may not be what you want, but I would not be true to my Jamaica if I did not include it.

One love! Peace out!

by Dabs

The majority of the residents of Jamaica are of African descent so I don't know why they would have an issue with Americans of African descent. Unless, perhaps, they call the residents African Americans which they are not.

We go to Montego Bay every year and have never had any problems, we prefer to leave the resort with someone who knows the country, others seem to do fine on their own. You'll be fine shopping by yourself in Montego Bay, the vendors at the craft market can be a little aggressive but nothing to be overly concerned with.

by BADK

Dabs:
Which resort would you recommend? We are looking for a resort to travel to in January, we will have our young son with us.

by Dabs

I don't travel with young kids but the resort we stay at, Sunset Beach, always seems to have a lot of them. It's a mid budget all inclusive, it's not fancy but we find it to be adequate for what we are looking for. You can see reviews of it on my Montego Bay page.

Should you want to go to stay in Negril, you might have a look at Beaches which has a kid's program, my in laws have stayed there and thought it was nice.

You might also try googling montego bay resorts with kids programs, the Holiday Inn Sunspree comes up as does the Riu Montego Bay, Sunset Beach where we stay, FDR Pebbles, etc.

by BADK

Thank you so much for the info Dabs!

Travel Tips for Montego Bay

Beside driving at left, like...

by Franberu

Beside driving at left, like British, the poeple from Jamaica are consacreted to reggae and the most well known story in the country is the one of Bob Marley.
That permits me to attend a lot of great shows during my stay.

In Montego Bay, you must pay a visit to a restaurant builded on top of the mountain. At night, this location give you a superb view of all the lights of the city below your feet.

You must not forget a visite to Negril and Ocho Rios. For myselph I added also a visit to a river where you descend on a wraf (radeau)conducted by a Jamaican that tells you about Jamaica and sometimes sings to you.

It is not out of well known trails but it is fantastic! My best memory of Montego Bay is a night excursion to the beach where we ate on a BBQ had a show of dancers and other performers. All that on the beach with a wonderful atmosphere. I also want to underline the shows at Windsurf Hotel that were of great quality.

Too many clothes

by vacakarrie

Bathingsuits,cover-ups ,matching sandles or flip flops , matching beach bags I brought a whole 26 inch suitcase home with all clean clothes - never worn lol lol oh well will know better next time a couple of short outfits maybe a summer dress or two , and remember just because they make it in your size doesn't mean you should wear it band-aides ( for those new shoes ) lots of film water shoes are a must if you are going to " the falls "

Dolphins Cove

by tpangelinan

You have to wear a life jacket, flippers and no skin products, or jewelry.
No pregnant ladies allowed, too dangerous for baby. Dolphins can sense pregnancy.
They have everything you need there, but take a towel and a change of clothes for the ride back to your resort.

Dolphin Cove Ltd.
P.O. Box 21, Ocho Rios P.O., St. Ann
Jamaica W.I.
email: info@dolphincovejamaica.com

Take a romantic carriage ride.

by tpangelinan

We took a wonderful romantic carriage ride all through Montego Bay. The driver gave a great narration through the whole ride and answered any questions we had. He was so nice to take our camera and take a couple of good photos of us in the carriage with a nice back drop. Big points for that and stopping so I could take some photos of the sunset in a good spot! This all added to his tips! The whole trip took 1 1/2 hours for $30.00 and a $10.00 tip, well worth the price! The resorts were charging $45.00 for 30 minutes and giving very little to the driver, so we met him out side and set up a time and paid him directly so he got all the money for his efforts.

Bob Marley Experience and Theatre

by Raslady

I went to Half Moon shopping village in 2001, so it could have changed since then (let me know if you go there)
I was a little disappointed with the experience as it was just a small shop, but it was full of Marley memorabilia, and I was told the filmed documentary (in the 68 seat, air conditioned theatre) was very good; but unfortunately we spent too long looking in the other shops and at the beautiful buildings, that we didn't have time to see it as our bus arrived to collect us.

The shops are set either side of this beautiful walkway, and their goods are quite expensive, but it is a lovely place to visit.

Comments