Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay

Beaches Family Travel Water Sports
See Amenities

Excellent time Dec 26-Jan1, 2012

by written on January 2, 2012

Our family of 7 stayed at the Holiday Inn SunSpree from Dec 26th 2011-Jan 1, 2012. We had a ball. The staff is very friendly. Cherione was our first bartender and she met us at the front desk with a cocktail while were checking in. Yes, there is a line for the buffet dinner if you go right at 6:00, but if you can wait till 6:15 or 6:30 there is no line. If you have a big party like we did they assist you with finding a table. The dinner buffet was different each night. If you want to eat at one of the restaurants at the hotel you need to make reservations and you HAVE to do it early each morning. My brother-in-law was our early bird each morning and he got to the concierge desk at 6:45 so he was there when it opened. You need to be a little flexible with your dinner reservation times, but the 7 of us didn't mind that at all! Now, lets talk about breakfast! Paul is "the Mon" when it comes to making omelets! He makes them to order and if there is a line it is totally worth the wait. They will bring a small carafe of coffee and milk to your table. You need to ask to have it refilled. They are great about cleaning up your plates both at dinner and breakfast (but they are not pushy). We had lunch at the Jerk Hut a couple of days! I highly recommend you try the jerk pork and chicken. The barefoot bar serves hotdogs, hamburgers, grilled cheese and fries from 11:00 to 6:00. They open back up around 9:00pm (not totally sure about the time, it may be 10:00). Take a ride on the hobiecat, the windier the better! We brought our own snorkeling gear. They have it there if you want to borrow it (no charge) but it was nice to have our own so we could use it all the time and anytime.
Paul was our favorite bartender at night, but they are all great. Bring your own cup, they use very small cups for the cocktails. They did not mind us bringing our own cup up for cocktails either.
NEW YEARS EVE.... OMG The food was AMAZING! Lobster tails, carved roast beef, shrimp cocktail, pastas, salads, soups, all kinds of breads, twice baked potatoes, veggies, DESSERTS! ALL you can eat. It opened a little late at 7:00 instead of 6:30 and people were lined up (probably at 5:30) but we walked around took pictures, the place was decorated so! We ate a late lunch so we went to the buffet at 8:00 and the line had diminished and there was a ton of food. My daughter and I grabbed 2 plates each and filled them both, and no one said anything. All the other restaurants were closed and the staff from all those areas were on the floor to help out. They were prepared and we LOVED IT!!!
This is a very family friendly hotel! My 10 year old was in the water most of the time we were there. I did not have to chase him around. There is security and lifeguards everywhere!!!
We found if we got up a little early 7:00ish and put our towels on the lounges we wanted (some of us wanted shade and some of us wanted SUN) we had our spot and not messed with our things. Even when we were all in the water our beach bags were never touched. When you go say Hi to Dwight, he is a life guard at the paddle boats and hobie cat!
Someone said the pool was cloudy in an earlier review, it was sparkling clean every day. They clean it every morning!

LoriPori's Profile Photo

BEAUTIFUL BEACH - WONDERFUL STAFF

by written on December 13, 2011

December 2 to 9, 2011
After deciding on Montego Bay for this year's sun destination, we chose HOLIDAY INN SUNSPREE RESORT" because of the over-all good reviews about it and it was close to the airport - only 9 kms. We booked through the tour company Nolitours.
We really enjoyed our week here as it was so relaxing and we had great weather. It only rained lightly in the middle of the week and for a very short time.

Unique Quality: Located only 9kms from the airport HOLIDAY INN SUNSPREE is an all-inclusive resort.
Amenities include:
Buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner at the main restaurant "Portside"
3 A La Carte Restaurants - Italian - Jamaican - Spanish
Gift Shop
Photo Shop
Cambio - Currency Exchange - near the Lobby Desk
ATM Machine
Laundry Facilities - Located next to Games Room in Building 5 and at the Tennis Centre by Building 1. Use of washers and dryers is complimentary. Supplies may be purchased from gift shop.

Hotel Rooms:
Garden or Mountain View
Superior - Partial Ocean View

Directions: 9 kms from Sangster Airport

Terrible experience in Holiday Inn SunSpree Resor

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 7, 2011

Finally got out of Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay! It was horrible experience there in my entire life. I am well traveler, have been traveling so many countries. Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay is the worst resort ever! The food options are very limited, repeat the same every day. The beach is dirty, smell bad, walk on the beach is not on the sand, it is on the mud! No way you can swim there. The fly are all over of the places, all day long. No drink water services at hotel room, and toilet flush system is broken, hot water at shower needs 30 minutes at least to be up. It is absolutely nightmare for us to be there!

close to airport, reasonable

by written on July 13, 2011

Visited in July 2011. Our toilet did not flush properly and our room safe did not work. Other than that, people were wonderful and friendly and very accomodating. Lovely beach. Only real complaint is that there was no food/drinks available after 1:00 AM - I would suggest at least sandwich vending machines. Liked the adult beach and pool. Good place for the price.

Holiday Inn ... hmmm

by written on March 20, 2011

We had a nice time....the kids were entertained despite the fact that the kids club was boring to them. I don't understand why they don't have a large inflatable movie screen there instead of having the kids watch a movie on a small tv. The mini golf course was DISGUSTING!!!! two holes on every little green - one on each end?????? and it was not well maintained....an old fountain with dirty standing water......I refused to let my kids play there, complained to the attendant at the tennis court who seemed surprised when I described the condition of the course (does he not go there?) and he suggested I write it on the feedback form. You walk past the tennis courts, then an open field which could use a fence to hide what is extra furniture etc. for the hotel - then you come to the mini-golf. They often ran out of ice at the pool side bar and did not refill it for HOURS....they kept running out of diet coke and did not replace it for the last 3 days we were there. The food was very good, although I wish they had non-spicy burgers as we love them but paid for it with heartburn....Overall the buildings were in good condition but we stayed in building 5 which I don't think had been renovated yet. There were cracked tiles in the halls and they didn't look as clean as the lobby in building 6 or 7. I don't think I would give it 4 stars, but definitely 3! It's worth the money you pay.

Leaves Something to be Desired

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 19, 2011

Would NOT recommend this hotel. Checked in with several family members for and found the service staff to be very lousy. All-inclusive really just means food is included and non-motorized sports. Internet access is extra and the fitness center was really dirty and poorly maintained. I showed up for 2 scheduled group exercise classes and the instructor no-showed without notice. The buffet was average at best and found anyone could walk into this hotel and eat and use the pool, fitness center without becoming a paying guest. The nightly entertainment man was obnoxious, so we hung out at the adult pool, just to get away from hearing his screeching voice.

Unique Quality: The very best thing about this hotel is the jerk chicken hut, which is not part of the buffet. After the first night, we ate out at a restaurant downtown called Margarite's and had lunch at the jerk chicken hotel hut.

Directions: Near airport

best trip ever

by written on July 6, 2010

this year i took 2 vacations ,one to holiday inn sunspree an one to occidental grand in domin republic, let me tell you , the holiday inn in montego bay is the best in every way possible, the food was great ,the people are wonderful nicest people i have ever met. Dont go to the domi republic , people are rude ,food was horrible an it is so laid out it takes forever to get to the foor area an to the entertainment ,No elevator ,steps everywhere , i was so tired when i got home. What a nightmare. never ever again.

Directions: montego bay

Fun Time at Holiday Inn Sunspree

by written on April 17, 2010

Fabulous place to stay, especially for the all-inclusive budget! Everything is within walking distance. Staff is friendly and rooms are clean. Recommend spending the extra money and get yourself an oceanfront room! The breeze coming in off the ocean and into your room is totally awesome. There is a tranquil, relazing man made cove and you can enjoy the ocean more so than having the rough seas beating on your oceanfront. You have to make dinner reservations the minute you get there or it is hard to eat at the special restaurants. And you have to dress for dinner in these places. Otherwise, the buffet is nearly always available. The bar out by the beach serves delicious fish sandwiches! They have a lot of family fun each night out by the pool with contests, etc. If we were ever to return to Jamaica, this is where we will stay.

Directions: east of the airport in montego bay

Average at best!

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 25, 2006

We went as a family in the winter of 2005.
The deal we booked was where you could pay at a certain time and 2 children 12 and under could go for free, minus taxes of course.
We have one son who fits in that category, so we decided to do this trip.
The hotel was recommended so that's where we were going.
First the book in took a while and when it did, they stuck us in this auditorium to try and sell us tour packages. I'm on holidays for sun and fun, I don't want to be inside in the middle of the afternoon.
We get our rooms, clean but in need of a make over.
I tipped the chambermaid right away and we had plenty of towels all week.
The beach hadn't recovered from the previous autumns' hurricane, so that was alittle disappointing.
Pool was decent, but since they had this kid special, it had tons of kids.
Nightlife was poor!
Food was good and had lots of selection at the buffet. Alacarte restaurants were pretty good, but nothing too special.
Jerk hut on the beach had the best food. Harold is the bartender and he makes the best drink in the whole resorts. I told him to suprise me with a drink order and after three of these I had began to wobble.
Problem with this resort is that it is small and one could get easily bored.
When taking a tour, they are bloody expensive and most from what I heard, not worth the money.
Exploring on your own is a risk, lot's of crime.
Despite me being negative, it was a good vacation as we made that way ourselves.
Jamaica equals sun and fun, and of course Red Stripe beer.

Holiday Inn=The best!

by written on August 4, 2006

My best friend and I just returned from our 1st trip to Jamaica. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort. It was wonderful. The resort is so nice, clean and all the workers work so hard to accomodate everyone. And so very friendly. THey work so hard to make Holiday Inn Resort a place to want to go again. It's a big family resort, if you like going to a place that has lots of kids, this is it. THere are 7 bldgs. Being that we were on a mom's away vacation, it was nice to stay away from the action/kids so we opted for Bldg 1. We also plunked ourselves on the beach next to the gazebo, which only mayb 10 people did every day. The food was great and abundance of it. There was always something good to eat and the desserts were just as good.......oh those desserts! THe drinks werernt bad either. We went on a tour for the day to Ocho Rios shopping/Dunns River Falls. Check with the people at the kiosk, they run separate tours. Go with the one from Holiday Inn, you have a nice bus and tour guide. We learned alot from her. Although the electricity went out a few times we were there, so no a/c for awhile, and getting stuck in the elevator once, it wasnt too bad. I have 2 minor complaints. I'm a coffee drinker. I didnt like the coffee there. It was way too strong so if you dont like strong coffee, I suggest bringing a can of your choice, plus filters for your room. They dont have 1/2 and 1/2, only milk so you'd have to somehow figure out something with that unless you bring cremora. I also drink diet coke. All they have is Coke light. it's a different taste but we got used to it 2nd day. just minor complaint. Other than that, we loved it. Food everywhere, drinks everywhere, entertainment all the time. If we were to go back again, we would stay at Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort again. Why fix something that aint Broke.
HOpe this is helpful.
Sue from Boston

sunspree - montego bay, jamaica

by written on June 3, 2005

this wasn't a bad place to stay if you just wanted to stay in your resort. don't get me wrong we had a great time at our hotel. most of the employees were great, they took good care of us. some were quite rude, offering no assistance at all. this was all inclusive but many hands were put out for tips. i understand the poorness of the country and they survive on tips, and i do tip, but i didn't like it shoved in my face. the food was ok i've had better in other resorts. no water problems. but i don't think i'll return.

Unique Quality: the jerk was very good, the drinks very cold, on the east side of hotel was a small private beach that was not used very much. also a small manmade island that you could walk out to,water no deeper than your hip complete with lounge chairs was a pleasant suprise.

Directions: 10 - 15 minutes from airport

queensgirl's Profile Photo

My experience could have been better!

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 26, 2004

My experience would have been good if the AC had not have broke. They tried to quick but couldn't they didn't even make up for it. That's the part that made me mad.

Unique Quality: They had tennis, pools and great views.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn...

by written on October 4, 2002

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Sunspree. All inclusive. I didn't much care for the facts that kids were allowed, but the service and accomodations are excellent.

Unique Quality: They had a beautiful swim up pool. Really nice restaurants in the hotel. Great landscapting and interior design.

Directions: The location was perfect. It it right on the beach. Close to shopping. About 5 minutes from the airport.

briandsan Jun 9, 2014 at 1:35 PM

We have recently returned from two weeks at holiday.Inn Sunspree. Montego bay.21 May-4 June.Excellent value for money holiday.The cleanest hotel we have seen in 40 years even the overhead fan blades were cleaned.Not a cigarette butt,Waste paper or gum in sight.Even the beaches swept several times a day.Buffet food although not cooked for the individual but cooked for many had a good variety and was generally good,something for everyone.A la carte options were available but not necessary.The hotel had areas and activities for everyone of all ages,families,singles,teens,pensioners and a chill out beach and pool for adults only.We are pensioners and with all the activities going on nothing bothered us as we could use the adult section.The staff always had a smile were very friendly and always spoke,the odd tip at the bar helped though.Any maintenance or help was attended to promptly within five minutes of a phone call.We cannot wait to return.

Nearby Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay

• Spa
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Montego Bay Travel Forum

Need advice about Montego Bay, Jamaica? Visit the Travel Forum for Montego Bay and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Montego Bay hotel reviews

Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 5 Reviews

Explore Deeper into Montego Bay
Beaches
Things to Do
Hire a private Driver and sit back and relax
Transportation from Montego Bay airport to Negril
Transportation
Going to Jamaica? Watch your back!
MONTEGO BAY EXCURSIONS
RESTAURANTS AT HOLIDAY INN SUNSPREE
Getting around/sighteeing and taxi/transportation
Hummingbirds
Things to Do
Private taxis and buses are the way to get around
Sangster (Montego Bay) airport
Richmond Hill Inn
Things to Do
ASIAN / JAMAICAN FUSION !!
Restaurants
Seaside Dining & Great Food!
Dunn River Falls