Montego Bay Hotels

Our Members Say

• sealupin profile photo sealupin
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ashanti Inn Guest House: Beg Bugs are Biting in Montego Bay!

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...the Ashanti "Inn" in Montego Bay, Jamaica. It all sounded so charming, locally owned and operated, off the beaten path (i.e. no tourist)...

It had the makings to be a really great experience...and then we arrived. "Ya gawan peay for da whole ting first mon. Cash only mon." Well yes, a little outside the norm, but what the heck do I know...I'm sure it'll be fine...famous last words.

Well it all went down hill from there. No hot water, outrageous street noise 24/7, unsafe surroundings, and the scratchiest sheets I'd ever touched (think grandmas linen’s). And that was just the first ten minutes.

The experience lead to a bout with bed bugs, and YES I literally mean bed bugs, that we unwittingly brought home with us and ended up costing us thousands to get rid of after the "vacation" was long over with.

The accommodations at the Ashanti cost about $50US per night, not a savings by any stretch...we found plenty of places that were better run and still fit in the category of locally owned and operated in that price range. If you do choose to risk staying at a guest house, refuse to pay for the whole stay up front, so you can leave if it turns out bad and definitely ask to see the rooms before committing.

As for bed bugs, travelers beware. There is a definite rise in the appearance of these nasty little parasites everywhere and you'll want to become an expert on identifying their presence if you frequently stay in public places. There are a lot of good websites that provide great information about this problem, you can just Google "Bed bugs".

I now check the bed of any hotel I stay in the minute I walk into a room. I just take a peak at the mattress for the tell tale stains and droppings that the bugs leave behind....

Well I don't have a ton of great things to say except that there was a good local restaurant (think no frills, no atmosphere, good local cooking) attached to this guest house that a lot of the locals came to. I don't remember the name of the place but just go to the Ashanti and the place is right there.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written November 11, 2006
Tip Photo

Surrounding area outside the Ashanti

• Errigal_Lass profile photo Errigal_Lass
  • Reviews: 2

Dr. Cove Bay: The Breezes Super Club

The people and staff were wonderful, the entertainment incredible, the food fantastic, the beach warm and inviting, the colors brilliant!

Great things come in small packages and this is one of them. Has everything, the purrrfect place for me!

• Opinion of Price: N/A