Royal Decameron Montego Beach All-Inclusive

Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Orbitz.com Booking.com BookIt.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Best Location in MoBay

For a three star, the location and the resort layout are far greater than we expected. 99.7% of the rooms have a panoramic ocean view. There were plenty of pools, chairs, hammocks etc. for guests. We did a glass bottom boat tour which gave us a good view of the MoBay coast line and this resort had the best location and the best beach as far as we could tell. We did a two day exchange with the SuperFun Resort in Runaway Bay which was a 5 star and we were so glad to get back to the Royal D. For us it was far superior. That said...

It seemed to us that 'in general' a lot of staff resented the tourists. I know there is a history (colonization, investment and de-investment, etc.) and having to serve people (in a resort one probably could not afford to stay in) may lead to strong feelings but...many did not seem to try to hide feelings of hostility / contempt. Obviously it wasn’t anything that was said so much as unpleasant looks and tone of voice. Honestly, I realize the employer plays a role in this but we tried very hard to repeatedly be friendly and we were a little surprised by the response. We are Canadian and when we travel we are conscious of the fact that we are representing our nation. We make a concerted effort to be kind, respectful and polite - even when we are not treated the same way in return. However, a few staff members did not look at us like we were enemies and they were very kind. Michael at the front desk was really funny and friendly.

I would recommend the Royal D for the resort but if you are hoping to get to know Jamaican people and their culture, I think you'll be disappointed.

Safety / Security...It is not very safe to walk around MoBay unless you are an assertive person who can stand their ground. If you leave the resort there will be numerous people trying to get you to buy things. Obviously they have to make a living but there were moments when the people were very aggressive. They also have strategies like: separating a couple and using guilt to make you feel compelled to buy something. If you leave the hip-strip you will be one of the very few daring tourists to do so - you will definitely notice this. However they also say the farther from the hip strip you go the better deals you'll get. If that is what you are after I suppose.

However, you have to be prepared to be firm. For this reason I would not suggest my mother-in-law go to MoBay. One fellow from Edmonton said he was beckoned into a store and then two men cornered him in and they would not let him go until he bought something (which he paid far too much for of course). In this circumstance one should be prepared to make a loud scene and communicate this to whomever maybe threatening them - knowing that tourist police are nearby (every few hundred feet it seems) precisely for those situations. Neverthelss, these moments can be quite uncomfortable which may lead you to feeling it is just easier to stay in the resort or take a tour rather instead.

The other side to this is...because it isn't very safe/comfortable to walk around and explore the towns and culture, the only other things to do apparently are the tours. All of these tours are very expensive (min. $80 each). You can zip-line, or do jungle excursions etc. Great! If you have the money and you are into it. For us it just wasn't worth it. In BC we have zip-lining at Whistler and Grouse Mountain. We have horseback riding and all the other possible options they had (except for swimming with dolphins which seems inhumane to us). We go on vacation to experience things we don't have at home so we weren't interested in the tours.

The end result is that it ends up feeling like summer camp. You feel sort of restricted to the resort and the entertainment staff end up being your camp counsellors. There are a lot of people who enjoy this. This trip and resort is perfect for them.

If you want beaches, warm water, EXCELLENT entertainment, snorkelling and reefs within feet of the water front, a large comfortable room with a large deck that looks out to a seemingly endless carribean sea - then the Royal D is the best location at a very reasonable price.

If you want to spend most of your time inside the resort, this is a really great place to do that. It has many water activities, enough pools, three beach areas, two long piers and a cozy dock surrounded by sails. It has a board walk covered in queen sized cushions with 2 large ocean tramps. There are also 2 life guards.

All of these things we felt made the Royal D in MoBay so much better than the SuperFun in Runaway Bay. At the SuperFun, relatively few of the rooms had ocean view. The beach areas were not as good. The live entertainment was not as good although the entertainment staff were comparable. Superfun rooms did not have decks and ours was in the 'quad' area where the pool was. Needless to say the Royal D rooms were much quieter than at SuperFun. It was also actually harder to get a drink at the SuperFun. The 5 star rating for SuperFun just seemed ridiculous to us and we felt bad for the people we met that paid that much more than we did for poorer quality.

Unique Quality: By far the best beach location in MoBay. The location and the view each room appears to get are exceptional. There are three beach areas all with reefs. There are 2 life guards which make it perfect to learn how to snorkel here. This is the perfect place for people who want to spend most of their holiday in the resort on the beach.

• Worst front-desk service ever!!!

For our last 3 days in Jamaica we decided to stay at the Royal Decameron. What a bad choice! This must be one of the worst hotels, what customer service is concerned, ever!

The room that we got was fair enough, but there was a lot of noise from the lobby. So for 3 days we tried to change to another room (the hotel was not even half full) This was impossible as "all the other rooms are closed for maintenance...." The attitudes of most in the girls at the front desk was as though you didn´t exist. They walked around as zombies, never looked at you when you spoke to them, were rude and consequently walked away when you were in the middle of a sentence. They never had the right information, mislead us a few times and never tried to help us in anyway.

Apart from this, the location and beach is ok, sunsets great, the rooms are worn down, the foods tasteless and the drinks artificial.

Jamaicans are known for saying "no problem", at Decameron everything was a problem! I´m just sad that this was our final image of Jamaica as it has nothing to do with what we experienced elsewhere on the island.

• tahte's Profile Photo

Be Treated Like Royalty!

This was my first stay at an all-inclusive, and I have quickly learned to love it! If you really don't want to, you don't ever have to leave the Decameron for anything. Food and drinks (yes, cocktails too) are available almost 24/7. Private beaches, 2 pools, a jacuzzi, nightly shows, beach games, a nightclub, a gym, a nurse, a masseuse, a hair braider, and a gift shop are all on the premises. You can rent a jet ski, snorkel gear, or a glass bottom right there too.

Though my room didn't have a balcony or terrace, I woke up to a nice view of the ocean every day. The room was larger than most rooms I've been in, with 2 queen beds, a chaise longue, a bench, table with 2 chairs and a dressing area with shelves and racks for clothing. It was clean and the beds were made daily, but on some days, the towels, soap and shampoo weren't replaced. Also, the iron was terrible! Though these were minor annoyances, they should be corrected to keep in line with the quality of the other hotel facilities.

Since the hotel is gated and visitors are only allowed in the lobby, I felt very safe. The security guard will also get you a taxi if you need one.

I would recommend this hotel, and would love to stay there again!

Some prices as of October 2006 (U.S. Dollars):
    -Telephone: $20 deposit. Any amount you don't use will be refunded.
    Calls to the US are $1.25/minute. Calls within Jamaica are 60¢ per minute.
    -Safe: $2 per day (Don't lose the key or you'll pay $100 fee!).
    -Internet: $5 for a 15-minute access card.
    -Glass bottom boat: $20 per person (minimum of 2) for about 1 hour.
    (You get to feed the fish by hand!)
    -Jet ski: $40 for 15 minutes.
    -Passes (allows non-guests to use the facilities): Day $70; Night $80.

Unique Quality: Despite all the activities at the Decameron, the hard-working restaurant and entertainment staff made my stay so enjoyable. Sharlette is the best! From day one, she took good care of me—even catering to my request for iced coffee at breakfast (apparently not so popular in MoBay). Her warm smile and friendly manner was so welcoming and made every meal even better. Big-ups (Jamaican for "shout out") to Raymond, Leeyoung, Joseph, Gary and his first mate (whose name escapes me-sorry!). Leaving them was like leaving family!

Directions: "Hip Strip" Montego Bay, about 10 minutes away from Sangster International Airport.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

cheap all inclusive

The Royal Decameron is a bit older, cheaper and all inclusive hotel located right in the heart of Montego Bay. As such, it makes a good compromise for the independent traveller who wants to see the local culture and sight see independently.

Unique Quality: Great beach side location, with the nightlife of Mo- bay just outside the gates. Swim out snorkelling is available. Only down side is the airport is close and planes do fly by close during the day.

Directions: Northern end of Gloucester Avenue, by the airport

More about Royal Decameron Montego Beach All-Inclusive

cheap; all inclusive

by Jim_Eliason about Royal Decameron

The Royal Decameron is a bit older and cheaper all inclusive right in the heart of Montego Bay. As such, it makes a good compromise for the independent traveller who wants to see the local culture and sight see independently. Great beach side location, with the nightlife of Mo- bay just outside the gates. Swim out snorkelling is available. Only down side is the airport is close and planes do fly by close during the day.

3 star Royal Decameron Montego

by hc_90 about Royal Decameron Montego

Advantages: Beachview rooms, great views. 1L bottle of water per day. Lots of tv channels. Great entertainers. Food varied during dinner. Some free water activities, snorkling, windsurfing, canoeing, water paddle boat. 5 mins from the airport. Quick check in. About 15 mins walking distance from Margaritaville. Visited Aprl 12 - 19 Great time as 4/7 days were very sunny with the other days cloudy and windy. Paid 1100 per person, which is excellent price for Jamaica.
Disadvantages: Rooms are just standard. Changed bed linen only a few times. Had low water pressure at times when showering. In room safe costed $2 per day. Charged $2 for any calls made. If international phone card bought in their gift shop, costed $60 jcn dollars if used on a public telephone. Night front desk had some attitude. Beach was small and had coral very close to the beach. Lunch was repeatitive. Night entertainment was very loud and echoed throughout the rooms. Also, neighbouring room doors' slammed very loud. Very interesting but the left neighbouring area is a umm err graveyard. You can see over the white wall next to the pool or simply walk by when walking outside on the sidewalk. We had room 310. Excellent view of the water and in the middle of the main building.

New Year's in Montego Bay

My boyfriend and I went to Montego Beach Resort December 27th for a week; it was beautiful. There were many plusses: The "small" beach was small but very nice and well kept. You could swim around the docks and off the man-made beaches. The snorkling right there was definately a plus. (I had the pleasure of seeing a blow fish and an octopus.) The water was spectalcular; the food and the drinks were excellent, and we had a spacious room with a great view (which is standard). On the negative side: One reggae band out of three was worth seeing, and the "pre-show" games were a little played out. The front desk was not helpful when asked general questions about cab rides and the like, and the people running the watersports were annoyed about helping us sail / wind surf. But still, the kayaks and the paddle boats were easy to manage and fun to do. The area around the resort is run down, but that's to be expected of Montego Bay. I had wanted to explore the island, but renting a car and/or finding a good price from a cab became such a hassle that we decided not to. Other people staying at the reosrt had gone on tours, which they enjoyed. All in all, we had a good time. If your going for the water and for relaxation, you won't be disappointed.

fantastic,fun,friendly&affordable...

My boyfriend & I have just returned from two weeks at Montego Beach Resort.The staff were extremely friendly, efficient & polite.The excursions can be expensive but are well worth paying for. It is a must to get out of the resort bubble and into mainstream Jamaica. The food is not of an extreme variety but we found still enjoyable. The rooms are clean, airy, and more than large enough in my opinion. My only quibble with this hotel, is they have no idea what wine should taste like :) , other than that, we both thouroughly enjoyed it and would reccommend to all!!!!!

Best vacation ever!

My boyfriend and I ended up at the Montego Beach Club by accident (misunderstanding w/the cabbie), but we were so pleasantly surprised by the resort that we decided to stay there instead. You'll find a spectacular view of the beach from the lobby (which is also connected to the main dining area). When we walked into our room, I was taken aback by the incredible view it offered. The beach is small and private. Here's the truth, there are a few things that can be done to better the place, but if your looking to go on a romantic vacation where there aren't any kids, great ambiance, privacy, and great location, nothing beats the montego beach resort. i've frequented many all inclusive resorts, and even though aesthetically it may not compare to other "nicer" resorts, i've never been so pleased. Just a little FYI: The water sports people aren't very helpful wake up early enough and witness a beautiful moon-rise enjoy a candlelit dinner on the beach as the sun sets There are no elevators (resort has 4 floors) Bring water shoes Bring your own towels (unless you wake up @ 7am and run down to grab one, you're out of luck!) The food is good, but not spectacular

This is definitely a couples resort. Expect to fall in love all over again!! i've been traveling all my life, and montego beach club is the only resort i plan on returning to over and over again.

I'm a tourist -- get me out of here

Whatever else you do in Jamaica please don't waste your money staying at this hotel. This was our third visit to Jamaica and we've always had a great time until we stayed at the Montego Beach Resort. To say that this hotel was a disappopintmnt was a complete understatement. I'll try and keep my review simple and to the point, though there was so much wrong with the place it will be difficult! However if you wish to e-mail me I'm willing toanswer any questions you want. The hotel was sold to us as a 4* (formerly Jack Tar Village) the tickets arrived as a 3*, its basically 1*. When we arrived the bed was unmade (5.30p.m.) the floor tiles were cracked in bathroom, bath grimy and grey thin looking towels. The food seemed to be cooked in the same black sauce whether it was sweet and sour chicken, stewed pork, beef stew or curried goat. If you wanted a roast dinner the pork was pink in the middle and red on the bone, the roast chicken was hacked with a cleaver so you had bone splinters in every mouthful. Glasses were chipped or cracked the alternative were scratched cloudy cups. Napkins were frequently unavailable and water and coffee arrived 10-15 minutes after starting your meal, coffee was always luke warm at best. Ants swarmed over the surfaces at the coffee urns used in the mornings and the milk was curdled. Twice at breakfast the guava in individual sachets were mouldy. Afer 12 days we asked why there was no bacon in the mornings, for the last three days we had greasy bacon. The owner said there had been a shortage of bacon in Jamaica! The entertainment every evening was a group called "The Tournados", I think one of them moved one night, they played reggae 24/7. I saw three couples move hotels at a cost of $500U.S. dollars each. The bar ran out of rum, diet coke etc on 3-4 occasions and the day of the powercat they turned the power back on at 5.00pm but the boiler at 6.50pm dinner was late that night nobody could shower. My partner (now my fiance, we went to Jamaica this year to get engaged) survived on a diet of rice, mashed potatoes and gravy. One of our friends lived on soup (have you ever heard of beef, chicken noodle and vegetable soup in the same pot? you haven't lived!) and a dessert usually dry cake. He supplemented his diet with crisps and chocolate from the shop. I acquired 82 bites and Ian 42 presumably sand flies. The hotel hadn't been sprayed, the entertainments rep asked the maintenance men when he had last sprayed, he couldn't remember, we had been there for 12 days at that stage. We had to see the nurse and then a doctor for an injection at a cost of course, the bite I got on my eye in the night was terrible, we have photos. To sum up. Rundown. Scruffy. Bug infested. Unhelpful staff except six or so. An owner who tries to pacify complaining gests with meaningless words. Have a lovely holiday in Jamaica its a gorgeous place if you stay at the right hotel.

The Royal Decameron

by jdlee23moc

I am traveling to Montego Bay but am not staying at the Royal Decameron. I love Reggae music and would love to come to some live performances. Can I go there if I am not lodging at this particular place?

RE: The Royal Decameron

by giggleszodiac

No u can not, unless u r staying there. Even if u just want to view the location u have to call 1 day in advance to setup a tour appointment. But it was really nice from what I could see from outside the gate.

Comments