Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort & Offshore Island

See Amenities
gabesz's Profile Photo

Will return

by written on November 4, 2011

We spent the Labor Day weekend 2010 at the resort. There are a lot of good things about this resort and also some small minor things that need improvement. We had a great ocean front room which had the perfect view of the water no matter which way we looked from the room.

Here are some of the good things about the resort:

The place is rather small compared to many other resorts yet it is big enough that on most days and nights you do not see many of the guests compacted into a small area. We actually stayed at the main pool and did not see many people at the other pools.

The food in all the restaurants was very good. We like all meals at the resort. We ate at the all restaurants and but never went into the pub during our stay for some reason.

The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. I did not find anyone who did not smile or say hello. The gentleman at the mail pool does a great job in keeping the pool area clean and towels available all day long. He was actually the hardest working guy during out stay.

The fitness guy is also great and works out with guests and actually jumps into the pool for aquacise. Very nice guy.

The staff if the gift shop is also very friendly and helpful.

Great White party on the private island. Probably the best we have seen in all the Sandals ever.

Now for some of the bad things:

The waiters and waitresses are ok, but service in general is slow and the bus people are somewhat lax about refilling the water for the guests. The bartenders again are slow but ok. The trainees should be trained better before they go out and serve customers. They should know the difference between club soda and seven up when they make a drink.

The maid service is ok, but turn down only sporadic and not every night. Maid service should not be at 4PM when the complex is only 50% full.

Activities staff are great but the place really needs to get more people to events later in the evening vs. having them basically miss the shows or activities in the dark. We never got to the piano bar at night since basically everyone was gone from the activities area as soon as the shows ended. The activities at Montego Bay have a far better turn out each night then at this resort. Though the staff tries hard, it seems that most people just did not care the week we were there.

The food in the other restaurants at Montego Bay is great in the Italian Restaurant but Tokyo Joe’s is really not Japanese, more like Mongolian type of food. Not really that great for that matter and a disappointment when we expected hibachi style food.

Our room was ok, but the bathroom needs to be better ventilated. Too much mildew due to lack of open windows of any overhead fans in the bathroom.

Due to the water in front of the complex not having too many waves there are mosquitos since they love the still water.

Wi Fi is expensive for a day and you have to set it up at the front desk due to problems they have with the system.

The place is near the airport which is ok since you do not have to leave too early to go home, but there is always planes flying overhead at various times of the day including some early mornings or late nights depending on the flight paths they have to follow. Some days you see no planes, other days we saw every takeoff and landing.

Overall this is a nice resort and we would go back but only during busier times since hopefully more people would participate in the activities so you are not bored at night at 10PM or so. And the staff is indeed overall very friendly and want you to return.

Just a side note we have been back 5 times since 2010 at this resort and love the staff and food now to no end. Just a wonderful stay overall and worth the trip.

Unique Quality: The Staff

craigdfw's Profile Photo

Small but nice Sandal's property

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 27, 2010

I've stayed at this location twice. This Sandals is a bit small but it's near the Montego Bay Sangster airport and so it's great for a short getaway. The occasional jet taking off low overhead will remind you of this fact. Rooms are also smaller than some of the other Sandals properties. If you're doing a honeymoon or romantic week away and like Sandals I would recommend the Ocho Rios or Negril properties which are much larger. If you're interested in off-location activities then Ocho Rios has the largest selection such as Dunn's River, swim with dolphins, ATV riding, horseback, etc. The property is well kept and clean and the staff is friendly. Beach area is also pretty limited.

Unique Quality: Nothing 'outstanding' - the offshore island is where the Asian restaurant is located. Seating is limited and it was very windy offshore trying to have dinner - not a big plus.

If You're Going to Montego Bay, Stay Here

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 7, 2009

I traveled to Sandals Royal Caribbean (SRC) with my boyfriend and four other couples for a wedding. My boyfriend and I love to travel and like to get the most for our money. SRC did that for us.

The only real issues we had were getting used to the laid back Jamaican style. It took an hour and half after check-in to get in our room, but the staff gave us an upgrade, which was much better than what we booked. It wasn't perfect and we did have a few bugs running around, but we called the desk and they took care of the problem immediately. We also spent most our time on the beach, not in the room, so it didn't matter much.

Be prepared though, everything runs behind. It's a much different pace than I'm used to living, but once I adjusted I had no issues.

The food was excellent. I read a lot of reviews about the resort before we left and a lot of people complained about the food, but I don't know what they were talking about. The only thing that could have been better were the desserts, but all the meals were very good. We also had no problems getting into the restaurants and we were eating with a group of ten every night. I've never been to an all inclusive resort and I really loved the fact I could eat and drink whatever I wanted. You really get more than your monies worth.

I didn't have any issues with the beaches either. They are small, but they were not crowded and there are at least three to choose from for swimming so if you think there are too many at one, move over to another.

Things do get quiet at night, but the resort offers activities until at least midnight. We chose to spend the evenings swimming in the pool right outside our room and we were the only ones swimming. It was wonderful.

I would recommend taking an afternoon to get off the resort. We did the Chukka Canopy tour which was worth the extra money. The resort offers many different excursions though. Don't feel like you have to book this before you get there either. They have a service desk where you can learn about everything they offer and book them with no problem.

SRC made me a fan of Sandals and I'm looking forward to trying my next one!

Unique Quality: The staff was great. Many of the servers and entertainment guides put our experience at the resort over the top.

The free activities, like snorkeling and kayaking were great. We had no problem booking any of the activities and had a great time doing them. Take full advantage because you don't have to pay anything extra!

Directions: About 15 minutes from airport (but planes flying over are not all that noticable)

Thought I was in heaven

by written on August 8, 2007

I can honestly say that as soon as we stepped off the plane in Jamaica we were treated with kindness and respect that is often very hard to find in the USA.

My husband and I were here to celebrate our honeymoon and to relax after the hectic planning of the past year. We were looking forward to doing absolutely nothing but having an enjoyable time.
Our butlers were the greatest
Both Adia and Ellis were so kind and polite but mostly they were friendly and professional (see below)
I have a slight disability after having back surgeries a number of times and was very pleased with the care and consideration they gave to me without me having to ask. They did not make me feel awkward at all (as a lot of people here in the US do) and were always asking if they could do anything to make me feel better and even doing things before I would ask such as having extra towels on the chairs for padding and lots of big fluffy pillows in the room for me.
I could find nothing wrong with anything there. I guess if your spoiled and mean spirited you can always find something wrong with anything. Not us. We went with very high expectations and were surprised when they were met and exceeded greatly. I think that the people here who complained about things like the work on the grounds going on or the drinks being watered down are people that should not return to this place as it is too good for them.
I can quite honestly say that there was nothing with this resort to find fault with. It did rain almost every day we were there but the wonderful thing was it only lasted an hour or less and then it would clear up. It did not even bother moth of the people on the beaches or at the pools because very few left most enjoyed the slight cooling of the afternoon or evening rain. If all you want to party and get drunk, this is not the place for you, If you want to be treated well, relax, enjoy yourself be alone at times and be with other adults when you feel the need to socialize this is the place to go!

Unique Quality: First let me say this. Our Butlers Adia and Ellis are the main reason our stay here was so great. They made every moment, a moment to remember including noticing our specific likes and dislikes without us even having to tell them and doing little things for us like bringing us cold drinks at the pool at the exact time we were thinking we were thirsty. It was like they could see our next wish before we even thought of it, putting flowers on the deck chairs they reserved for us at the pool and sprinkling petals all over the tablecloth the first night we were there and enjoyed a candlelight dinner in our suite. They both came to our room in a moments notice and were always there to escort us to anything we wished to do. We had a beautiful picnic lunch on the private island on one of the Cabana beds which was fully sheeted with crisp sheets and pillows. So romantic, so sweet and so comforting. Like I said in the title.....it was as if we found Heaven.

I need to say Thank you to Ellis and Adia, from the bottom of my heart. I hope you and the your employers get to see this so they know what kind of service you provide and the caring, compassion and love at which you serve it at.

Heaven, I think I found it at Sandals Royal Caribbean and I think Adia and Ellis were the angels. "smile" Can't wait to return!!!!!

justaimeelou's Profile Photo

Class and Romance, A true Carribean DREAM

by written on January 14, 2007

The service is outstanding, the ambiance is incrediable and there is nothing else you could possibly want for that they do not provide. I would stay there over and over agian. It is completly inclusive which means that, yes you may pay a little more up front BUT we never bought food, ALCOHOL (huge expense) or activities (snorkeling, kayak, boat rides, etc...) ITS ALL INCLUDED!!!!

Unique Quality: It is a couples only resort which means when you are on a romantic getaway, there are NO Children running around anywhere.

Nearby Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort & Offshore Island

• Shuttle Service
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Montego Bay Travel Forum

Need advice about Montego Bay, Jamaica? Visit the Travel Forum for Montego Bay and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Montego Bay hotel reviews

Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 5 Reviews

Explore Deeper into Montego Bay
Beaches
Things to Do
Hire a private Driver and sit back and relax
Transportation from Montego Bay airport to Negril
Transportation
Going to Jamaica? Watch your back!
MONTEGO BAY EXCURSIONS
RESTAURANTS AT HOLIDAY INN SUNSPREE
Getting around/sighteeing and taxi/transportation
Hummingbirds
Things to Do
Private taxis and buses are the way to get around
Sangster (Montego Bay) airport
Richmond Hill Inn
Things to Do
ASIAN / JAMAICAN FUSION !!
Restaurants
Seaside Dining & Great Food!
Dunn River Falls