4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

2052

Costs 70% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• gabesz's Profile Photo

Will return

We spent the Labor Day weekend 2010 at the resort. There are a lot of good things about this resort and also some small minor things that need improvement. We had a great ocean front room which had the perfect view of the water no matter which way we looked from the room.

Here are some of the good things about the resort:

The place is rather small compared to many other resorts yet it is big enough that on most days and nights you do not see many of the guests compacted into a small area. We actually stayed at the main pool and did not see many people at the other pools.

The food in all the restaurants was very good. We like all meals at the resort. We ate at the all restaurants and but never went into the pub during our stay for some reason.

The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. I did not find anyone who did not smile or say hello. The gentleman at the mail pool does a great job in keeping the pool area clean and towels available all day long. He was actually the hardest working guy during out stay.

The fitness guy is also great and works out with guests and actually jumps into the pool for aquacise. Very nice guy.

The staff if the gift shop is also very friendly and helpful.

Great White party on the private island. Probably the best we have seen in all the Sandals ever.

Now for some of the bad things:

The waiters and waitresses are ok, but service in general is slow and the bus people are somewhat lax about refilling the water for the guests. The bartenders again are slow but ok. The trainees should be trained better before they go out and serve customers. They should know the difference between club soda and seven up when they make a drink.

The maid service is ok, but turn down only sporadic and not every night. Maid service should not be at 4PM when the complex is only 50% full.

Activities staff are great but the place really needs to get more people to events later in the evening vs. having them basically miss the shows or activities in the dark. We never got to the piano bar at night since basically everyone was gone from the activities area as soon as the shows ended. The activities at Montego Bay have a far better turn out each night then at this resort. Though the staff tries hard, it seems that most people just did not care the week we were there.

The food in the other restaurants at Montego Bay is great in the Italian Restaurant but Tokyo Joe’s is really not Japanese, more like Mongolian type of food. Not really that great for that matter and a disappointment when we expected hibachi style food.

Our room was ok, but the bathroom needs to be better ventilated. Too much mildew due to lack of open windows of any overhead fans in the bathroom.

Due to the water in front of the complex not having too many waves there are mosquitos since they love the still water.

Wi Fi is expensive for a day and you have to set it up at the front desk due to problems they have with the system.

The place is near the airport which is ok since you do not have to leave too early to go home, but there is always planes flying overhead at various times of the day including some early mornings or late nights depending on the flight paths they have to follow. Some days you see no planes, other days we saw every takeoff and landing.

Overall this is a nice resort and we would go back but only during busier times since hopefully more people would participate in the activities so you are not bored at night at 10PM or so. And the staff is indeed overall very friendly and want you to return.

Just a side note we have been back 5 times since 2010 at this resort and love the staff and food now to no end. Just a wonderful stay overall and worth the trip.

Unique Quality: The Staff

• craigdfw's Profile Photo

Small but nice Sandal's property

I've stayed at this location twice. This Sandals is a bit small but it's near the Montego Bay Sangster airport and so it's great for a short getaway. The occasional jet taking off low overhead will remind you of this fact. Rooms are also smaller than some of the other Sandals properties. If you're doing a honeymoon or romantic week away and like Sandals I would recommend the Ocho Rios or Negril properties which are much larger. If you're interested in off-location activities then Ocho Rios has the largest selection such as Dunn's River, swim with dolphins, ATV riding, horseback, etc. The property is well kept and clean and the staff is friendly. Beach area is also pretty limited.

Unique Quality: Nothing 'outstanding' - the offshore island is where the Asian restaurant is located. Seating is limited and it was very windy offshore trying to have dinner - not a big plus.

• If You're Going to Montego Bay, Stay Here

I traveled to Sandals Royal Caribbean (SRC) with my boyfriend and four other couples for a wedding. My boyfriend and I love to travel and like to get the most for our money. SRC did that for us.

The only real issues we had were getting used to the laid back Jamaican style. It took an hour and half after check-in to get in our room, but the staff gave us an upgrade, which was much better than what we booked. It wasn't perfect and we did have a few bugs running around, but we called the desk and they took care of the problem immediately. We also spent most our time on the beach, not in the room, so it didn't matter much.

Be prepared though, everything runs behind. It's a much different pace than I'm used to living, but once I adjusted I had no issues.

The food was excellent. I read a lot of reviews about the resort before we left and a lot of people complained about the food, but I don't know what they were talking about. The only thing that could have been better were the desserts, but all the meals were very good. We also had no problems getting into the restaurants and we were eating with a group of ten every night. I've never been to an all inclusive resort and I really loved the fact I could eat and drink whatever I wanted. You really get more than your monies worth.

I didn't have any issues with the beaches either. They are small, but they were not crowded and there are at least three to choose from for swimming so if you think there are too many at one, move over to another.

Things do get quiet at night, but the resort offers activities until at least midnight. We chose to spend the evenings swimming in the pool right outside our room and we were the only ones swimming. It was wonderful.

I would recommend taking an afternoon to get off the resort. We did the Chukka Canopy tour which was worth the extra money. The resort offers many different excursions though. Don't feel like you have to book this before you get there either. They have a service desk where you can learn about everything they offer and book them with no problem.

SRC made me a fan of Sandals and I'm looking forward to trying my next one!

Unique Quality: The staff was great. Many of the servers and entertainment guides put our experience at the resort over the top.

The free activities, like snorkeling and kayaking were great. We had no problem booking any of the activities and had a great time doing them. Take full advantage because you don't have to pay anything extra!

Directions: About 15 minutes from airport (but planes flying over are not all that noticable)

• Thought I was in heaven

I can honestly say that as soon as we stepped off the plane in Jamaica we were treated with kindness and respect that is often very hard to find in the USA.

My husband and I were here to celebrate our honeymoon and to relax after the hectic planning of the past year. We were looking forward to doing absolutely nothing but having an enjoyable time.
    Our butlers were the greatest
    Both Adia and Ellis were so kind and polite but mostly they were friendly and professional (see below)
    I have a slight disability after having back surgeries a number of times and was very pleased with the care and consideration they gave to me without me having to ask. They did not make me feel awkward at all (as a lot of people here in the US do) and were always asking if they could do anything to make me feel better and even doing things before I would ask such as having extra towels on the chairs for padding and lots of big fluffy pillows in the room for me.
    I could find nothing wrong with anything there. I guess if your spoiled and mean spirited you can always find something wrong with anything. Not us. We went with very high expectations and were surprised when they were met and exceeded greatly. I think that the people here who complained about things like the work on the grounds going on or the drinks being watered down are people that should not return to this place as it is too good for them.
    I can quite honestly say that there was nothing with this resort to find fault with. It did rain almost every day we were there but the wonderful thing was it only lasted an hour or less and then it would clear up. It did not even bother moth of the people on the beaches or at the pools because very few left most enjoyed the slight cooling of the afternoon or evening rain. If all you want to party and get drunk, this is not the place for you, If you want to be treated well, relax, enjoy yourself be alone at times and be with other adults when you feel the need to socialize this is the place to go!

Unique Quality: First let me say this. Our Butlers Adia and Ellis are the main reason our stay here was so great. They made every moment, a moment to remember including noticing our specific likes and dislikes without us even having to tell them and doing little things for us like bringing us cold drinks at the pool at the exact time we were thinking we were thirsty. It was like they could see our next wish before we even thought of it, putting flowers on the deck chairs they reserved for us at the pool and sprinkling petals all over the tablecloth the first night we were there and enjoyed a candlelight dinner in our suite. They both came to our room in a moments notice and were always there to escort us to anything we wished to do. We had a beautiful picnic lunch on the private island on one of the Cabana beds which was fully sheeted with crisp sheets and pillows. So romantic, so sweet and so comforting. Like I said in the title.....it was as if we found Heaven.

I need to say Thank you to Ellis and Adia, from the bottom of my heart. I hope you and the your employers get to see this so they know what kind of service you provide and the caring, compassion and love at which you serve it at.

Heaven, I think I found it at Sandals Royal Caribbean and I think Adia and Ellis were the angels. "smile" Can't wait to return!!!!!

• justaimeelou's Profile Photo

Class and Romance, A true Carribean DREAM

The service is outstanding, the ambiance is incrediable and there is nothing else you could possibly want for that they do not provide. I would stay there over and over agian. It is completly inclusive which means that, yes you may pay a little more up front BUT we never bought food, ALCOHOL (huge expense) or activities (snorkeling, kayak, boat rides, etc...) ITS ALL INCLUDED!!!!

Unique Quality: It is a couples only resort which means when you are on a romantic getaway, there are NO Children running around anywhere.

More about Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort & Offshore Island

Sandals Royal Carribean: One Word Paradise

My boyfriend and I had a wonderful time at sandals royal carribbean we stayed there from 7/24/03 to 7/28/03. I must say to all those people who wrote those bad reviews you had me worried at first but as soon as I arrived at the resort my worries were a distant memory. We were greeted in the lobby with complimentary champagne and warm smiles. The wait for our room was less than an hour to which we had lunch while we waited. Our room key and goody bag were brought right to our table. We had a grand luxe garden view room worth the money trust me. Pools great jacuzzi sometimes too hot but great. Beach small but beautiful, visit Mobay resort beach very pretty. Food was good. Breakfast and lunch buffet. Dinner is by order very elegant. Make sure to put in a lobster request form for the Regency at the reservations desk its a little secret they don't tell you but you can have it every night, and its well worth it. The staff at Royal are the best they cater to your every whim. If you are social the playmakers are great with games and activities. If your looking for an exciting nightlife go to Mobay resort it's very lively. I choose Royal because I heard it was for an older crowd. My boyfriend is 28 and I am 26 so we love to party but we also like to sleep in peace. I can go on and on but I'm going to cut it here and say just go ignore the negative reviews and enjoy yourself.

Absolutely loved Sandals!

We just returned from our Honeymoon at Sandals Royal Caribbean and had an absolute blast! Of the three Sandals in Montego Bay, Royal Caribbean is definitely the way to go. We had dinner at the other two as well (Montego Bay and Sandals Inn) so we got to see the properties, but the Royal Caribbean is much nicer and the location is further from the airport (so you hardly notice the planes, as opposed to Montego Bay where you hear every plane take off at full volume). We stayed in the Suite Concierge level rooms right next to the ocean and had a fabulous view complete with the 24 hour room service and mini-bar. It was well worth the extra money. The concierge desk was fabulous and catered to our every request, including a birthday cake made and decorated to my specifications for my new husband, which was delivered with a bottle of champagne (not requested by me, but appreciated). In addition, the concierge was able to track down for us a couple we met at the Montego Bay Sandals during a snorkling trip. They had taken a picture of us at our request when our camera ran out of film, but at the end of the trip we forgot to exchange addresses. Knowing only their first names and where they were from, Pernell was able to locate them and contact them for us to exchange information. They were awesome. We loved the whole resort, from the swim-up bar with great drinks and the beach grill/bar with yummy snacks to the nice restaurants. It was a fantastic vacation overall, very restful and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a pampered and luxurious vacation (at least to those of us not used to such things!).

Weddingmoon

by TripAdvisor Member Rogers2

We had our weddingmoon (wedding and honeymoon) at Sandals Royal Caribbean. The resort is beautiful, clean, and with the except of a few areas maintained well. The Jamaican people and the resort employees are friendly and very polite. We had a Beachfront Royal Suite with congierge service. Our room was very nice, roomy, but the bathroom was inconviently small. The bathroom door had to be shut just to get out of the tub/shower. The food was very good. We grew tired of the same offerings at the beach grill day after day. The drinks were great, no sparing of the alcohol. The problems we encountered were as follows. When we arrived we were herded into the lobby given a glass of champagne, and handed forms to fill out. We were not given explainations of what was wanted or needed from us. Since, we had a concierge room, we were to be registered in the condierge office for some special treatment. We had to tell the lobby clerk twice before we were shown to the office. We were treated as though we were a bother. Then we were lead from the concierge office to the front where we identified our luggage ( which had already been tagged with our room #). We were stuck waiting for the concierge staff member to arrange others luggage before we were shown to our room. NOT the treatment for weddingmoon guests staying in a top priced room. We also noticed that where were only 2 working Hobiecats and one of them needed fixed. It was useable (we managed) but frustrating. The private island is okay. The pool deck needs painted or stained. the whirpool was not working at all. The Thai restaurant was very nice, but you better make reservations as soon as you arrive. It is only open on certain nights and they have only 2 sittings per night. If you plan to be married at Sandals, just know that you have picked a beautiful place and that your pictures will be wonderful. Just a few hints: Buy extra pictures, they are worth it! If you have requests make them known LOUDLY! We wanted our special music played during the ceremony ( we provided the CD), but they somehow forgot. Be sure to tell them where YOU WANT YOUR reception table and have them take your wedding cake back to your room while you have your pictures taken. On a positive note: the photographer and vidiographer were great. The Rev Gordon that married us was very special and we fell in love with his spirit and humor immediately. Our ride back to the airport was special because we received a free limo ride. Very special, very appreciated, very easy. All in all we had a great weddingmoon and would recommend it to everyone. Penny at Premier Caribbean Travel helped us plan the trip and gave us valuable advise. We met another couple and plan to return to Sandals Royal Caribbean next year. Also, the beach areas are private (a plus), very very clean, and the SCUBA was fantastic. We enjoyed it very much. The water sports staff were great. This resort is large enough to have all you need, but small enough to feel special. If you try it, you will not be dissappointed.

All-inclusive

by Jerrysnj about Sandals Royal Jamaican

Highly recommend this resort. Staff was very friendly, food was ok, grounds and rooms were clean. Great views and off shore island.

A great Anniversary getaway

Well, I have got to start off by saying those people that wrote bad reviews must not have visited the Sandals Royal Carribean. My wife and I went for our 2 year anniversary, a little 4 day getaway. The first night we were there we wished we would have stayed longer. This resort has everything you need. The people are so friendly at this resort. My wife and I met so many nice couples from all over the US. We made a lot of new friends. We had the best time with Mike and Jen Gilbride from Ohio. We were very sad to see them leave. But, we plan to meet up with them since we live near to one another. As for the resort, the restaurants are great and if there is any complaint about the food (order too small, didn't receive enough, etc), remember, simply ask the waiter/waitress for more and they will bring it to you with no complaints. Remember, there is no bill after dinner!! I also would recommend going on the Catamaran cruise (Daydreamer) out of Sandals Montego Bay. They take you on a 3 hour tour, ( I know sounds like Gilligan, huh?), but they take you out for a cruise, stop the boat, and let you snorkel. It was a blast. They also take you to Margaritaville in Montego Bay and let you get drinks, etc for approx 1/2 hour. They have a big water slide that is a blast. Back at the resort, the drinks are great. If they are too weak (which most were not) you simply ask the bartender for more alcohol and they will give it to you. Alex in the Piano Bar was the best!! Well, if you are looking for a great vacation, I would definitely recommend this place. My wife and I will definitely be going back!!!!!

Ryan and Bonnie Hambleton

Sandals Royal Caribbean

by DallasBob

I am returning to the Sandals Royal Carib resort in Montego Bay after 6 yrs. The private island used to have a clothing optional beach on it. Is that still the case?

Re: Sandals Royal Caribbean

by Odinnthor

Well, - it is not "official", but look at this website, and see what you think.

Further down the page click on Sandals in Mo Bay, and it will explain everything...d;o)

Hope this helps. Enjoy the ride.....

Comments