2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

Orbitz.com Travelocity Hotels.com

Costs 37% more than similarly rated 2.5 star hotels

More about Toby's Resort

Great Hotel - Friendly People

I just returned from Montego Bay, where we stayed for 4 nights at Toby's resort. The people were very friendly, the rooms were clean, and the location was good too.
I would highly recommend this hotel (especially if you are looking for a place that's a bit more Jamaica than an all inclusive would be.)
Easy walking distance to Doctor's Cave Beach. We found that the staff were all very friendly, as were the other guests while we were there.

Close, Clean & Comfortable

We stayed at Toby resort in March 2005 and it was our favirite place to be. A short walk from the hip strip, breezes, doctor's cove, the pork pit and local craft markets. The rooms were always clean and cool. A security guard patrolled the grounds at night. We paid $75/night which the locals scoffed at and noted that a better deal in a better room could be had next door at Glorianas. Overall, I was not disappointed. It's far from the Ritz, Rose Hall and the Half-moon shops, but there was nothing there that we didn't have access to from our location.

- Dan in Dallas

Great Little Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member CirqueGirl

I booked this hotel for a convenient place to stay during July's Sumfest. My sister and I were returning to Montego Bay for the second time and included another friend this trip. There was a triple availabe and was quite spacious. The room was very basic but comfortable. One thing that was a major issue was how much noise could be heard from the adjoining room. There was a big wooden door separating the rooms but almost all noise travelled from the neighboring room into our room. It was pretty ridiculous at times.

The staff is the highlight of Toby's resort. We made friends with many in the restaurant and got really good food and drinks. Special requests and friendly service was never a problem.

The first time we visited Montego Bay, we stayed in an all-inclusive. I didn't like the trapped feeling and wanted to experience Jamaica, not a summer camp for adults. The hotel was nicer but I want to see Jamaica and talk to the people who live there. This way we saw way more and did way more.

I wanted to go back as soon as I left. The price was an incredible bargain and close to shops, the airport, restaurants and within walking distance to the beach.

Good Budget hotel for Mobay

by TripAdvisor Member Solivagant

If you need a hotel in Montego Bay for the arrival or predeparture night then this is perfetctly Ok. At c US $50 per room (Dec 04) it is not badly priced for the Mobay area. It calls itself a "Resort" and it certainly does have a pool but I couldn't see myself staying there for an entire holiday.

The rooms are typical US lower-range motel quality. The 3 rooms we saw all had A/C (if old fashioned), hot water and TV (with limited channels!).

We reckoned the meal/breakfast prices were a bit high - with a large "++" for service and tax - but it is close enough to the strip to be able to walk elsewhere!

Nice staff and very clean!

The staff at this hotel are extremely friendly, especially the owner, Shane. The rooms are very, very clean. They have satellite television in the room so you can watch soccer or movies from HBO. The poolside bartender Neil makes excellent drinks that aren't too expensive. The hotel charges service charges on each meal so it is better to eat in town. Even still, the prices aren't too bad. The hotel was located near the strip but far enough away to avoid the noise and the conjestion. It was also a five minute walk from the beach. Make sure to check out the beach club for good food and amazing view. There is an air conditioning unit which keeps the room cool and open sliding doors. Other than the shower not working properly, I would definitely recommend it.

Simple/Clean/Very Nice Staff

by TripAdvisor Member ddmpls

Not a four star hotel, but all the basic comforts including AC/TV/and OK pool. But, CLEAN-CLEAN-CLEAN!!!! Spent a week here in Jan. 2005. Would stay here again. Close to all of the "hip strip", which felt more like "hustle strip" to me. Traveling as a single male, took three days to convince the thugs on the strip I didn't need a companion. My favorite bar and beach was just around the corner, and a little walk north, locally called "the dead-end beach", but actually Bucaneer Beach. The Bucaneer Bar was great for good local conversations.

A thorough review of Toby's...

by TripAdvisor Member lday_wi

I stayed here from a Monday to Friday visit. The rooms were clean and there is daily maid service. There is an a/c unit in each room and it worked well, though February isn't all that hot. The showers have hot water (not always a given in Jamaica!). There are no toiletries besides soap, so make sure you bring your own lotion and hair products.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The lunch and dinner prices were comparable to other places in the area, and I thought that these prices were much lower than a normal hotel. For example, my favorite plate came with Red Snapper & Rice and Peas, and went for $10 for dinner - and it was a plentiful serving. Breakfast was a bit pricier - 2 eggs and bacon was $4.85. The service is slower than what I am accustomed to in the US, but it went well with the laid back attitude of Jamaica and was not a big problem with a little patience.

If you would like a private tour, there is usually a taxi driver on site that will accommodate you. We took a tour to Dunn's River falls and Ochi for $30/person, with three people total. Our taxi driver was named Soldier and he was extremely friendly. He was a very safe driver - very important for me! There are tour buses you can take, but I thought this was nice since it was just my private group and no other people.

Overall, a fantastic time and place to stay. I will go back to Toby's on my next trip to Mo Bay and I will recommend it to family that visits Mo Bay.

It had it's good and bad side

by TripAdvisor Member Shout_out

I stayed here in February 2005. Overall it was pretty good. Very friendly staff. Nice pool and the pool bar was great as well. The rooms were just about the perfect size. But the main thing that bugged me was that the bathroom window would never close so i started finding cockroaches, and lizards and termites in the room. And the shower temperature would change from REALLY hot to REALLY cold randomly. but it was nice and i would probably reccomend it.

Comments