CocoLaPalm Seaside Resort

Booking.com CheapCaribbean Venere.com

Costs 29% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• malianrob's Profile Photo

CocoLaPalm Hotel continued

Like I said about this place. Its more of a motel feel to it but its nice, clean and decent.
    The food at the hotel restaurant is good but small portions. The service is good but alittle slow. The restauant is affordable. There is a gift shop on the premisses but it was hardly ever open.
    There is also security in the front of the hotel which monitors the cars that come in and out of the hotel. They also monitor what taxi's come in and out.
    Overall I would say we had a nice stay at this hotel and I would stay here again. It is affordable.

• malianrob's Profile Photo

CocoLaPalm Hotel

We arent the all inclusive type of people but having said that, I do see why people do the all inclusive in Jamaica. This isnt one of those hotels. CocoLa Palm give you a free continental breakfast or you can use the credit of what a continental breakfast cost, which is about $7 and use that as a credit toward another meal if you like.
    Coc La Palm isnt a fancy hotel at all and I think the star rating is three stars. I think thats being alittle generous.
    It has more of a motel feel to it but it didnt bother me at all. The service was very good, professional and friendly. The rooms and bathrooms were clean but definitely older and painted over a few times.
    The hotel is right on the beach in the middle of everything. Also the hotel provides security on the beach so that no vendors bother you but as soon as you leave that area prepare to be attacked by the vendors.

Unique Quality: There is nothing high end about this place but it is affordable. Its in the middle of 7 miles beach and the service is good. They also have internet service and a restaurant on the premisses.
    They have a good size pool and jacuzzi thats surrounded by tress and other greenery. I did like this hotel and would come back to stay.

More about CocoLaPalm Seaside Resort

Coco la Palm Outstanding!

by TripAdvisor Member Sippingwineisgood

We returned last night (May 28) from 7 nights at the Coco la Palm and have to say that it is a major part of why our vacation was wonderful. It is exceptionally well-run, beautiful, lush, comfortable, has everything you could want. It is extremely well-kept, and the staff works very hard. We did not experience "Jamaica time" at this resort, quite the opposite. It is quiet, yet there is the a lovely bar open until 10:30 or 11 (or later) if you want to stick close by. The breakfasts were lovely - and lunch at the beach bar was delicious and relatively reasonable. Drinks are really good! We didn't want to walk the beach one night but were hungry, so we stopped by the restaurant for dinner and they were happy to have us (at 8:30 pm). The food there is fair to good, but a little pricey. But the service is old fashioned wonderful - they even put your (cloth) napkins on your lap for you. The rooms are enormous - our daughters stayed in one of the octagonal rooms with the high wooden ceilings (queen jr. suite) which was completely gorgeous; we stayed in a superior room (2 double beds, half of an octagon) underneath them - it was quite nice with tons of room and storage. All of the showers are bigger than one of my bathrooms :-). They have Jamaican coffee in the rooms. The beach is extremely well-kept and there is nice shopping on the site with what we thought were very good prices. We got some Rasta carvings (everything made in the mountains by Jamaicans) for $5 each and they are extremely interesting and beautiful - purchased at the art shop at Coco. The gift shop was nice, too, and my daughter got braids for $20 on the beach by the resident beauty shop lady, Joan. There is also a spot for aloe rubs and massages right there, and a man who displays beautiful carvings. The beach is quite wide compared to other spots, and we didn't see any hotels nearby with sites nearly as nice. Coco la Palm can't be beat!

Respect mon..for the Coco La Palm

Best decision i made was to stay at Coco LaPalm. I was about to confirm reservations at Legends Resort down the road until i read reviews from TripAdvisors. Then i did more research and saw that everyone who stayed at Coco LaPalm was more than pleased...as i am also. I now will refer everyone i know who wants to go to Negril but doesn't know where to stay, to stay here. Good points...beach is nice, good security, friendly staff , lush green landscaping and clean neat rooms. Bad points...pool near beach needs to be drained and repainted, then it would be perfect. I just stayed there from 20-24 May and was given a voucher to return before the end of year with 40% discount..good selling point...they probably will see me again by years end. Thanks...traveler from Los Angeles.

Great breakfast

by laustic about Coco La Palm

On our first morning I found the breakfast lacking at our hotel (Idle Awhile) and the coffee was average. So we ventured next door to Coco La Palm for breakfast the second morning and then returned every morning after that. The service was prompt and friendly and the coffee was great (this was the famous Blue Mountain coffee I was hoping for!) and the breakfasts were excellent! I'm sure the other meals are great here as well!

Great place for the money!

We stayed at the Coco La Palm in Negril, Jamaica from June 25 to July 2, 2004 and had a great time!!

As mentioned in other reviews, the grounds are meticulously maintained and look fabulous. We booked a standard room thinking we could upgrade when we arrived. Unfortunately, the hotel was booked solid for the week we were there. The standard room is exactly that…standard. It was clean and bigger than we expected it to be. The room (which are in individual villas, just like the photos on their website ---------------- - check it out!) came with air conditioning, king bed, refrigerator, TV with satellite channels, coffee maker, dresser, table and 2 chairs, safe, and other basic hotel room stuff. We were in room 514, which did not have a view of anything but the neighboring complex. This is one of the best hotels on the beach for the price.

We ate at the hotel restaurant several times and thought it was very good. We are very picky about food and were very surprised after reading other reviews that said the hotel food was not good. Our favorite meal was breakfast. When you book a room, it usually comes with continental breakfast. For a few dollars more (they subtract the price of your continental breakfast from the price of any other breakfast menu item you want to order) you can upgrade to a breakfast with eggs, sausage and potatoes or if you like waffles and pancakes they have that too. The eggs were as fresh as can be and were delicious! You can look out over the ocean while enjoying a cup of Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee and eating a great breakfast. Definitely try it!! Dinner was also delicious!

The staff at this hotel is very nice and extremely accommodating. After breakfast, Rocky the beach attendant would ask us where we wanted to sit on the beach and carried beach chairs to the spot we wanted to lay out. There are plenty of shade trees for people like us who want to stay out of the direct sun.

You can get access to all water sports right on the beach. Just stop one of the many people who walk along the beach advertising and haggle with them on the price. We did wave runners, parasailing, a snorkeling cruise on the Wild Thing (a big catamaran that departs just a short distance down the beach…you can’t miss it) and a sunset cruise on the Wild Thing. The sunset cruise takes you to Rick’s on the cliffs, which really is overpriced. What bothered us most about Rick’s is as soon as we got off the boat we were asked to pay $15 to watch one of the locals jump off the cliffs into the ocean. Save your $$ and wait for other tourists to pay then watch. It is cool to see them jump but not worth $15.

The food in Jamaica is fairly limited so don’t expect a huge amount of choice. We also ate at The Rockhouse; you have to take a taxi from the Coco La Palm which is about $20 round trip. The Rockhouse has a great view (it’s on the cliffs) and a romantic setting but is very overrated as far as the food goes.

Other restaurants we ate at: Gambino’s Italian just down the beach, great Italian food. We tried jerk chicken just about everywhere and nothing really stood out as great. Jimmy Buffetts Margaritaville has yummy frozen drinks and great conch fritters.

Other hints when going to Jamaica:
Bring a lot of 1’s and 5’s, you really don’t need to exchange to Jamaican dollars
We didn’t have a problem with sand fleas but others did. Hydrocortisone cream is recommended (one of the hotels was offering hydrocortisone shots for around $100!).
Bring a cheap sports watch to keep time on jet skies; no one sells cheap watches.

Too short of a trip

My friends and I were pleasantly suprised by Cocolapalm. The landscaping was beautiful and we were given a large, clean room right on the beach. The continental breakfasts were wonderful: sitting on the beach while eating breakfast was the best way to wake up every morning. The beach was clean and spacious. The staff was polite and accomodating. We did not feel any need to leave the resort, especially when you could receive great, affordable massages right on the beach! I would definitely stay here again, and for longer, since we only stayed four nights.
The lunch at the bar was really good, a little overpriced though (everything in Negril is slightly overpriced). As far as safety is concerned: we never felt unsafe, even as three young woman traveling together. As long as you never walk anywhere alone and tell the thugs to leave you alone, you will be fine. Overall, fantastic, relaxing, beautiful vacation!

The absolute best !!!

by TripAdvisor Member jank30

CoCo LaPalm is a wonderful resort. We have been to many places including an all inclusive in Negril and this was by far the best vacation we ever had. We had room 730 which is Ocean Front. We were probably 30 feet from the ocean. The view was fabulous. Our room was great. We were never in it accept to sleep. The beach is beautiful and the staff and service were excellent. We will be going back (hopefully at least once a year). I loved that it was not all inclusive the prices were very reasonable, in fact at the end it was cheaper to go this way and we could eat what we wanted when we wanted. The food was great at the beach bar (Kenny makes awesome Jerk Chicken and Michelle a great drink) and the restaurant was also very good. The drinks actually had liquor in them and I thought the whole experience was wonderful. We met some great people ( we miss you already Pat and Bernie, Erin and Bill and also Mike) The owner happened to be there when we were and treated us like gold. He is a great guy and very well respected among the Jamaican people. We had great drinks, dinners and company all the time. This is the true way to experience Negril. Don't let anyone scare you. It is SAFE to walk the beach, shop, and go to restaurants. After this experience, I wouldn't do it any other way. Can't wait to go back. In fact, we have only been home a day as I write this.

Definitely upgrade

Overall I'd say Coco LaPalm was a nice hotel, the staff was friendly and helpful. The beach area is great
However, a girlfriend and I booked a standard room which came equipped with a rusty tub, musty smell and no TV. We were put at the absolute back of the property which was rundown. We upgraded to a junior suite which was very nice, for $30 per night over what we originally paid.
The food at the hotel was overpriced and not good to boot. But that was standard for everywhere in Negril, definitely not world-class dining. This was the first trip I've ever lost weight on!
Beware single girls traveling alone in Jamaica, don't walk the beach at night. We were approached and chased down the beach the first night by some local thugs. Found out the next day two girls were robbed around the same area the night before. Vendors are very aggressive and will harrass you as you leisurely stroll on the beach.

just okay

We were booked into the wrong room and the staff refused to move us, even well into our week. We knew there were vacant rooms because we could see them, but they wouldn't move us. Shower knob was broken on day one and stayed broken, despite requests to repair. Grounds are clean and well-kept and staff is mostly friendly, especially Donna and Sleepy.

French toast with fresh fruit at Coco La PalmFrench toast with fresh fruit at Coco La Palm

NEGRIL WEDDING PARTY

by NEGRIL_BRIDE

HI EVERYONE, I AM PLANNING MY WEDDING IN NEGRIL FOR APRIL 2005. MY GROUP OF 20+ GUEST WILL BE STAYING AT COCOLAPALM. HAS ANYBODY STAYED AT COCOLAPALM, HOW ARE THEIR STANDARD SUITES?
ALSO, I WANT TO TAKE A YACHT OR CATAMARAN TO A PRIVATE BEACH TO HAVE THE WEDDING CEREMONY. DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY DETAILED INFO ON BOOBY CAY OR SOME OF THE COVES OR BAYS BETWEEN MOBAY AND NEGRIL, SUCH AS, DAVIS COVE, OR RHODES BEACH AND MINERAL SPRINGS? I WOULD LIKE A CLEAN BEACH WITH NATURAL SURROUNDINGS AWAY FROM THE RESORTS. ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Re: NEGRIL WEDDING PARTY

by jwiedenfeld

why not sandals negril beautiful resort on a stretch of seven mile white sand beach

Re: NEGRIL WEDDING PARTY

by NegrilBride2

Hi there
I am planning a wedding for March 2005 and am looking for similiar information. We are staying at the new RIU Club hotel.
From what I've been reading, Isabelle is an excellent wedding coordinator and I just started emailing with her.

Re: Re: NEGRIL WEDDING PARTY

by NEGRIL_BRIDE

Negrilbride2, I have also been emailing Isabelle, I would be interested in comparing ideas with you and prices. Please feel free to email me at mudymo27@yahoo.com

Comments