Norman Manley Blvd, Negril, Jamaica, Caribbean

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

• dustmon's Profile Photo

laid back on the beach

Idle Awhile has both cliffside and beach rooms---cliffside is a large 2 story villa and/or a small efficiency right on the cliffs---gorgeous views and luxurious inside.....
    The beach hotel has 14 rooms and suites to suit any taste---Chill Awhile is the onsite restaurant or you can get room service.
    Summer 2012 rates start at $140 a room to $240 for the ocean view villa (summer rates)

Unique Quality: on the beach, restaurant on site

• laustic's Profile Photo

Aesthetically perfect, service not so much...

In my limited experience I found this to be the most lovely property on 7 mile beach. It's small and private and the rooms were really charming. The gardens and beach are amazing and beautifully maintained.

Our room was really nice -- we had a one bedroom suite and it was really spacious and tastefully decorated. The bedroom and bathroom had air conditioning, but the living room, kitchen and dining area did not. This was never really a problem for us. The space would get a bit hot and humid during the day, but you're at the beach during the day! It was always nice at night or during a rain storm to open the louvered windows.

The ambiance at Idle Awhile is best suited for couples, but there were travelers of all kinds there -- families, friends, etc. I wasn't thrilled with the service, but it wasn't horrible -- just very very average. Also, the restaurant "Chill Awhile" was just okay as well. But you aren't restricted to this restaurant as there are many along 7 mile. The bar at Chill Awhile does make a killer pina colada! I would still recommend this hotel, but only for more assertive travelers that don't need to be coddled.

All in all, the price is really right and the property is reallly great. As for me if I returned to the beach at Negril I would stay at the neighboring hotel CoCo La Palm. The service and food were far better and the rooms are less expensive.

More about Idle Awhile Resort

Idle Awhile Nice and Intimate

Hello! Want to tell you about our stay at Idle Awhile since I rely heavily on reviews. All in all not bad not bad at all. We had the best room #205 it was beautiful the only thing the only air-conditioned room is the bedroom so be prepared for some real heat in the great living room with a great bed I might add, nice kitchen and a porch that is amazing, oh no t.v in the bedroom and too hot for me to watch long in the living area but no big deal about that. My daughter had a deluxe room and they are nice also nicely cooled and their patios are special ask for the ocean view if avail. O.K. on to the restaurant not that great to us although the blackened snapper and the shrimp kebobs were pretty good steer clear of hamburgers grilled cheese chicken sandwiches they are processed not good not what you'll expect breakfast is run of the mill . The beach is small but beautiful and perfectly fine. The grounds are beautiful and they can arrange tours etc . Horseback riding at Rhodes Hall was wonderful. The only thing that would keep me from returning here would be the unairconditioning which I know is common for Negril in bigger rooms but I can't handle it and I would have to get the smaller room to be cool and that would be horrible after being in this amazing suite. Compared to Beaches Negril have stayed there 3 times you will idle and chill more I had an 11 year old boy my son with us and at first he was so dissapointed no pool no game room no buffet etc. but it turned out ok completely different but ok I did miss the buffets you have to get out and find restaurants Chances pizza walking distance is good had a lot of expensive not so good meals so be careful.Rockhouse is a beautiful cllifside place to dine. Idle Awhile takes care of business pretty much the air and quantity and quality of food were my only disappointments. Enjoy Idle Awhile and the beach Negril is special !

Do NOT reccommend staying at Idle Awhile

My best friend and I decided to stay at Idle Awhile after reading all the excellent reviews. The hotel itself is very nice and clean. However, if you lose your key you are in trouble.

My friend lost one of the room keys at dinner one night and when we got back to the hotel later we were told by the 2 security guards that they did not have keys. When we heard this we couldn't believe it. The security guard called the manager and she refused to come let us in. So we (two young women) had to sleep on our patio on the bottom level all night until the maids came at 7 the next morning.

Let me just start by saying I could not believe this would ever happen to me on vacation. It was extremely scarey to stay on the patio w/ our purses and ourselves exposed to god knows what. If you're staying on the top floor you'd probably have to sleep on the beach because there's no other way to get to the patios except through your room on the top level.

When we left we said something to the manager and she was completely rude about it and didn't offer to comp our room or give us the owner's email address or home address so we could contact them. I have never in my life had to deal w/ such a ridiculous situation. My friend and I were extremely scared and upset about the whole situation. I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone.

For Quality Souvenirs

by laustic about Jamaica Janes

Negril is not really a shopping destination -- you'll find the usual beach stalls with ticky tacky tourist crap. If you want a Red Stripe shirt or hat -- I recommend shopping at the Red Stripe store at MoBay airport. They have the best selection and the ladies that work there were really nice!

Jamaica Jane's is across from Idle Awhile and if you stay at Idle Awhile you can charge your merchandise to your room. Jamaica Jane's is a very tasteful and relatively upscale gift shop so you'll find some nice things here to bring back as gifts. I got a very nice little hand painted box here that I keep playing cards in.

Cooking with the Chef

by laustic about Idle Awhile

Dh is a big foodie and loves to cook. Idle Awhile advertises that the chef of their restaurant (Chill Awhile) will come cook for you in your room (if you have a room with a kitchen) so I really wanted to do this for dh. We called to set it up and, as was usual, the front desk acted a bit odd about it, but said they'd look into it.

The chef did indeed show up later that night and cooked chicken fricassee for us. It was really an amazing dish, but a bit of an awkward experience. Dh and I are pretty outgoing and it was clear that the chef didn't really want to converse with us so we just let him do his thing and the food was really good. If this is something that you're into don't expect a really interactive experience -- just do it for the food. Also, there was no fixed rate for this service and it was difficult for us to determine what was a fair amount to pay the chef for his time.

Absolutely loved it!

I based my stay at the Idle Awhile on previews reviews and I became a little concerned when I read some of the more recent ones, which stated warning and never go back, etc. What nonsense! This was my fourth trip to Negril and my first time at Idle Awhile and I would never stay in any other hotel. This small little hotel is awesome! The staff is great, the rooms are wonderful and the beach is just out of this world. I am not sure where the people that gave this hotel bad reviews where coming from but they have absolutely no idea about great accommodations. Just prior to staying at Idle Awhile in Negril, I stayed at The Hotel in Las Vegas and I can honestly say that the accommodations and the staff at Idle Awhile well surpassed the ones of The Hotel in Las Vegas. Just do not believe everything people tell you about Jamaica especially when it comes from a travel agent who wants to sell you a high priced all-inclusive. I can only recommend Idle Awhile and I will definitely be back soon.

Better than I had hoped for

My wife and I just returned from a wonderful 7 day stay at Idle Awhile. We loved it. We originally had a 1 bedroom suite but opted to change to the Junior Suite because only the bedroom had a/c and the living room was a bit humid for our liking. Next time I'll opt for their regular room. The grounds are magnificent and the staff very accomodating. I enjoyed my breakfast sitting 20 feet from the waters edge every morning. The pictures don't do the place justice. The beach is raked every morning and the loungers wiped off. Park your lounger partially under a tree and you can stay out all day. The sunsets are magnificent as well. I walked by many all inclusives and I was very glad I picked Idle Awhile. I can't wait to go back!

Wow !

by TripAdvisor Member RobinsGirl

First of all, I would like to say that in my humble opinion 5 stars is not enough! My Husband and I stayed at Idle Awhile July 1st thru the 15th. From the moment that we walked into the office to check in we were THRILLED. The property is beautiful, the Staff is outstanding (Thanks for everything) and the rooms are beyond compare. I am a jaded New Yorker who has tayed at some of the best hotels in the world and believe me, Idle Awhile is definitely in the running. Pictures posted on the website do not even begin to show the beauty of this place. We stayed in a deluxe 2nd floor room (202) and were thirlled with the large size, vaulted ceilings, entertainment center and fridge. The Patio was our favorite place to hang out during the afternoon rains and at night. The italian marble tile was lovely and I swear it was larger than my apartment !
We were there for both Hurrican Dennis and Emily. during Dennis, the staff provided Candles and flashlights in the event of a power outage. They were not necesaary but it was really thoughtful of the staff. When emily hit, they moved us to Couples for a comp night with all of the perks. What! No one else would have done that. When we arrived at Couples, we took full advantage of the free drinks and food but really missed our accomodations at Idle Awhile. Trust me, the rooms are outstanding at Idle Awhile and we were willing to give up Couples to go back. As a matter of fact, we did not want to leave LOL !
Ok, the deluxe rooms:wood shutters which span the massive amount of windows. The beds are king size platforms and very comfortable. There is one closet with shelves which can hold a ton of stuff. There is also a room safe. The batrooms are a nice size with a full tub/shower and plenty of hot water. There are two bedside lamps and a standing floor lamp along with hallway lighting. The rooms are about 600 square feet and the air condidtioning works well when the shutters are closed and the ceiling fan is off. There are extra pillows and and bed spreads in he roommif desired. The front desk will provide an iron when requested. Coffee makers are available when not in use by one of the suites. As mentioned before, the patios are amazing with a really comfortable sofa, a marble/plaster table and chair.
The bar/resturant: opens at 730 am and closes around 9ish. The food was good and the drinks are great. You can request a special dish or just order off of the menu.
The beach: well kept and cool umbrellas and chairs. Folks at CoCo were jeaous LOL! Security is great. Nice towels are provided by the hotel.
In closing, I would personally like to thank Marva, Nathefa, Juicy, our maid, and everyone else at Idle awhile.
See you in November!

Best Little Hotel in Negril

by TripAdvisor Member Richnyc

We are a married couple from new york city that was dying for some instant relaxation from the every day hustle and bustle of NYC. When we arrived at Idle Awhile we knew this was the place for us. We stayed in rm#204 which was a ocean view room. The room was exactly what the web advertised. The room had a nice verandah and it was very open. The grounds are beautiful with lots of vegetation. The staff was very helpful from the time we arrived all the way to the end of the trip. The beach were Idle Awhile is located is like swimming in your own personal pool, and IA is located in walking distance to various restaurants, and the grocery store is located right across the street. The only problem that we had was that we had to go home. If you are looking for a major hotel with all the bells and whistles IA is not for you. If you are looking for a small inn with a beautiful beach that you can just relax and free your mind, and a staff that really caters to you, this is the place for you. I am definetly going to return to IA and looking forward to just cooling out on the beach with a rum punch.
nyc rich

WARNING!!!!

My best friend and I worked really hard to save up for this trip to Jamaica. We decided on Idle Awhile because it seemed to be very accommodating and quaint. Upon arriving we were very impressed by the beautiful rooms, beach bar and restaurant and the beach area. The staff was friendly, although one a little too friendly at times with my friend. I don’t think she appreciated being hit on within the first 10 minutes we were there. Our first night we had a delicious appetizer (coconut shrimp) and some Red Stripes at the bar. We spent every day at the beach and enjoyed breakfast and lunch almost everyday. If you are starving, I suggest ordering your food in advance because it takes up to 45 minutes for the food to come out.

We had a remarkably disturbing experience while we were staying at the resort. For starters, the phones in the rooms did not work so you had no contact with the outside world in the event of an emergency. The second night we were staying at the resort we went to Kuyabas for dinner and out for a couple drinks and realized we had left the key on the table at Kuyabas (which has wonderful ambiance and food). It was 1 AM by the time we realized that key was missing and found the security guard to help us get into the room. The security guard informed us that there is NO WAY to get into the room, called the manager and she refused to come let us in. We were subjected to sleeping outside on our porch with both our safety and lives at risk. We both had purses full of credit cards, cash, digital cameras and other things that are a great target for theft. The porch consisted of a chair and a concrete sofa and it does get chill at night when you are not in a sweatshirt. We did not get into our room until 7 AM when the office FINALLY opened. We were exhausted, angry and in shock that this place would be so inconsiderate and down right cruel to make two young American girls sleep outside on the porch. I have read many scary stories of abuse, rape, theft and assault before heading to Jamaica. The fact that we had to sleep outside in an unfamiliar place that is known for crime was unacceptable and terrifying. The office, which we found out AFTER THE FACT, is closed from 9 PM-7AM. The phones in the room DO NOT work so if there is an emergency you are pretty much screwed. I confronted the manager on our way out and she was rude and had no sympathy for our situation at all. We were charged for the room that night and the lost key. Ridiculous.

I DO NOT recommend this resort for anyone that wants to feel safe and secure. There are plenty of beautiful places to stay in Negril and I am sure they will make sure you are protected while you are there.

If you have any further questions you may contact me at flemdawg2002@yahoo.com