Khus Khus Negril

AMOMA.com Otel.com

More about Negril

OasisOasis

BeverlyBeverly

The view from SeagrapeVillas large houseThe view from SeagrapeVillas large house

planning trip to jamaica

by mahodreaming

I'm looking for calm, swimmable waters with interesting bars and restuarants near the beach. We don't like crowds, spring-breakers, noise at night, or nudity. Is Seven Mile beach, Negril, a good "fit" for us? I really need to know if one can walk up and down the entire beach and swim anywhere, or are some parts private? Thank you for any suggestions.

by NegrilPirate

I will try and answer all your questions. Spring breakers are there in March, when school is out. The rest of the time there is a mix of people here in Negril from all over the world.
Part of the Negril beach has other people in certain areas like Margarita Ville. But there are many quiet place to be found where you can see others, but you can have some privacy.
On the beach in Negril you will find ladies taking in the sun topless.
Depending on where you stay in Negril will determine the noise level. On the beach there is nightly Live Entertainment in different locations, so I would advise you not to stay beside one of these places that has Reggae Bands at night.
The North Eastern end of the beach has the All Inclusive Resorts that are private because every thing is included in the price you pay for the stay there. But the rest of the beach you would be free to walk.
I would suggest you stay in the West End of Negril on the One Love Drive. A lot quieter and private for swimming and visit the beach when you feel like. There are only a few places in the West End that have "loud" music at night but there is a noise law that is enforced.
The West End offers many place to eat and plenty of interesting bars.

by littlehutch

7 mile beach is just that. If you stay on the beach early morning are great to be alone on the beach. You can swim on the entire beach If you look up Negril Beach Hotel Map you can see where on the Hotels are on the beach. Don't stay in the middle or near Jimmy Buffett's stay on either end

by muppetface

My husband and I stayed at Couples Negril at this time last year. The beach is wonderful in that there's virtually no seaweed, it's very clean and the water is very calm. Not great for snorkeling as there's not much to see (although we did find lots of small rays and starfish), but wonderful to lazy swimming and relaxing. As far as your dislike of nudity, that may be a problem in terms of strolling the beach. I believe a number of the resorts along 7 Mile beach offer their guests "clothing optional" areas. To my knowledge all beaches in Jamaica are public, but the resorts are private.

Travel Tips for Negril

The beach at Negril

by toonsarah

One of the main reasons people come to Negril is the beach, and you can see why it’s such a draw. Miles of sand, safe swimming and plenty of water-sports make it a beach-baby’s heaven, I imagine – but I’m not a person who likes to spend all day and every day on the beach, so just the one visit to check it out was enough for me. In fact, I prefer my beaches undeveloped, and that’s something you can’t say about Negril’s! But the sand is soft and white, and even with the development the sweep of the bay is still very attractive – it must once have been stunning.

Despite this, we did enjoy spending a few hours here. The Negril Escape runs a free shuttle service to its sister hotel, the Mariner, which is one of the older and smaller hotels on the bay. Nearer to town than the smarter all-inclusive resorts, this didn’t strike me as somewhere I would have wanted to stay, but it made a reasonable base for our beach time. We found a couple of loungers and spent our time reading, alternating with dips in the sea. The later was calm and shallow for quite a long way out – great for small children and more nervous swimmers, but I’d have liked a few more waves to liven things up a bit – or some reef action so I could have snorkelled.

We also found a nice little bar for lunch, Errol’s Sunset Café, just next to the Mariners – an open-sided space with a few plastic tables, a limited menu (we had cheese toasties) and a great view of the sea and all the action. [see photos 3 and 4]

Cliff Diving

by neurochic

Cliff Diving at Rick's Cafe in Negril was one of the scariest yet one of the most exhilarating things I have ever done in my life. Highly recommended if you are not faint of heart. Basically at Rick's Cafe, in the back of the restaurant, there are a series of cliffs that overhang the Carribean Sea. You will fing the locals who swan dive off of the cliff like its nothing and they will even climb the trees that are like 20 ft higher to jump off. I think if I remember correctly the cliffs are maybe 15-20 ft above the sea. You pay $1 and then a guy removes the rope preventing you from jumping and then they give you a little instruction about watching the horizon and trying to be as straight as possible when you jump but that all goes out the window once you finally leap. As people jump off, the whole bar watches you and cheers or jeers. When I jumped, I tried so hard to leap as far out from the cliff so that I wouldn't hit the edge that I was unable to get my body straight again because you fall to the water literally fast as a torpedo. I basically hit the water in a sitting position and really bruised my back side and the back of my legs. But despite all of that it was such an awesome experience and my husband was so proud of how brave I was. He was able to jump and stay straight and felt nothing at all when he hit the water. If you like adventure this is a must try.

Roaring River and Blue Hole Garden

by Ron&Deb

If you want to see the parts of Jamaica that the government there would rather you didn't, step outside the resort. A man on a motorcycle will stop and ask if you want something. Tell him you want a motorcylce tour of the mountains. The man is probably a young man by the name of Stephen. He will take you to Elvis'. A scooter and motorcyle rental shack on Norman Manley Blvd. Rent a Motorcycle, 175cc dual purpose bike, about $40 per ride per day. Then follow Stephen as you wind through the country side. He will stop and the local watering holes, not the tourist traps. You will refresh on Ting or Malta or Red Stripe at a very low price and you will continue on to Roaring River. There, he will show you were Bob Marley used to sit in the headwaters of an Artisian well, smoke Ganja, and write music. Then he will take you to Steve or one of the other many mountain guides who will take you on a three mile hike to explore the local flora and people. You will see how every day Jamaicans live, taste what they eat (the Ahky looks and tastes like scrambled eggs, but it is a fruit), drink what they drink, smoke what they smoke and see some of the most beautiful countryside I have every laid eyes on. Ask for the special tour of Blue Hole Garden. It is owned by a Rastafarian, and he will charge you a dollar to see it. It is so worth the time. All total we gave Stephen and Steve $200US and I would have paid twice that if I had known how beautiful the country and the people were.

Fresh fruit and veggies stand

by dustmon about Ollie's

This is not really a restaurant, although he does cook jerk chicken on occasion---This is mostly a fruit and vegetable stand directly across the road from Negril Escape (used to be Mariners Resort). I always get all my fresh fruit and what vegetables I may need from Ollie when staying on the Cliffs. Usually has mangoes, bananas, oranges (I love Jamaican oranges!) and sometimes guineps, which are a sort of a grape with a hard shell that you pop open with your teeth and then chew the luscious grape off of the large seed in the middle. MMMMM! He also usually has carrots, breadfruits and other veggies if you are cooking at your cottage. There is a large open area, walled and gated, next door where they have music concerts sometimes, and his stall is directly against one wall. He has allowed me to take pictures of his children over the years as they have grown up, which is really appreciated! Guineps and oranges!

Rick's Cafe

by malianrob

I put Rick's Cafe under things to do rather than place to eat because the food wasnt too good but it was a cool place to hang out at, have some drinks, and watch the cliff divers. We went during the day in the afternoon. there were quite a few people and we got a nice view of everything by finding seat right in the front. There were two cliff divers doing their thing and a few tourist who chose to jump too.
This is actually a very popular place to go to in the evening around sunset. This place gets really packed with people and the drinks are flowing and there is alot of action with the cliff divers.
We walked here feom our hotel in Negril. At first we were just going into town then we started walking thinking it would be closer. It turned out to be a ways away. We walked the whole way there and it was good exercise but on the way back we took a taxi.
The cliff divers expect a tip if they jump. If you choose to jump too, expect to give a tip to jump also.
I liked this place and if we had more time, I would have spent more time here or came back. The atmosphere is very relaxing, no vendors to bother you, drinks are great and not too expensive.
You have to go check it out. Outs of fun

Comments