Legends Hotel

Satisfaction Average

Rated 16% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• dustmon's Profile Photo

Beach resort

Related to the Samsara resort on the Cliffs, Legends clients can use the Samsara resrt facilities as well, including concerts Samsara is famous for...Legends has all inclusive as well as room only options---all inclusive is usually cheaper, but then you cannot experience the different wonderful places to eat on the Cliffs of Negril right on the water's edge! Rooms garden view or ocean view some with balconies---check website for deals especially in the off season---try going in late April early May before hurricane season, but after the high season prices.

Unique Quality: on the beach---pool

Directions: on the beach

• Jewel on the Beach

If you are looking for a five star hotel, this isn't the place for you. What makes this place a jewel on the beach of Negril is the service and staff of Legends. From the second you walk in, they make you feel at home. They call you by first name and remember who you are. The rooms need some updating but we spent very little time in our rooms. The lounge chairs on our balcony were a terrific touch. You have to exchange your own towels every day which is not a big issue. There is no hair dryer or kleenex as in a standard hotel room but again, who needs it!! Keep in mind, you are in Jamaica to enjoy the sun and the beach and adapt. It took us about an hour to do that.

Unique Quality: This hotels is pretty much in the middle of Negril's 7 mile beach. The view is unbelievable. You can walk and enjoy the view day or night. The chaise lounge chairs on the beach are equipped with luxurious padding. The umbrellas are hard to come by unless you are an early bird. Michael the security guard runs a tight ship so you are not bothered by locals selling things you don't want to buy. Oren is fantastic setting up the chairs and combing the beach to see if you need help. Paul runs a tight ship in the bar/restaurant. Mama is an absolute charm and kept us well fed. While the food is not "top notch" - it is homecooking and we enjoyed it three times a day! You can always wander to one of the dozens of other spots to eat if you choose. The bar and wait staff bent over backwards to serve us. Crossing the street was made possible by a charming young man escorting you through traffic.

As I said, the staff more than made up for any hotel shortcomings. We'd go back in heartbeat!

Directions: You are within walking distance of downtown Negril.

• Legends Hotel

The Legends Hotel was wonderful! The staff was outstanding and made our group (six women) feel right at home. I have visited many different locations during my years of travel, but the hospitality of the Legends Hotel, in my opinion, has gone above and beyond in every area. The food was great and the service superb. The whole experience was wonderful!

I would like to send a special thank you to Michael and Orrett. Michael, hotel security, was always keeping a watchful eye on all of the guests making sure that we were all safe. Michael was a very fun guy to get to know. Orrett went out with us almost every night to tell us who were good people to hang out with. I know that it was a very tiring week for the both of them. We will defiantly be heading back next year to the hotel.

Unique Quality: Michael and Orrett!

• toemayn's Profile Photo

Spring Break

Could have been better, but we enjoyed our stay. The food was good but, the menu could have had a few more items to choose from. One day they didn't have catsup. There is supposed to be a free shuttle to Samsara, but the night we made reservation to go the shuttle didn't come and they didn't offer to get a taxi for us. We were there during spring break. This resort is the center for spring break so, it was very crowded. This didn't bother us, but if someone would want some peace and quiet they shouldn't stay here during spring break. We enjoyed watching and interacting with the Party activities. Lots of music, dancing, etc. We spent most of our days tanning by the pool since the beach was very crowded.

Unique Quality: Small beach area but, close to the action.

More about Legends Hotel

Right on the beach

by TheCamille about Legends

I stayed at the Legends Negril, about an Hour and a half from Montego Bay, but still part of the seven mile beach.. The facilities were quite good, clean rooms, and they were a good size not cramped at all. The staff was mostly okay. The cook at the buffet is very sweet and friendly and always had a smile (and sometimes a laugh) for everyone. The all-inclusive was breakfast from eight to ten lunch 12 to 2 and dinner7 to nine. The food was fresh and local if not original. I thought it was okay. I went on a package deal from Houston , paid per night with athe all inclusive plan. But It would be better to Pay for one hotel stay for one person then add another person for an extra twenty dollars per night. Also My sprint phone died there and I never got any serivice back until I left the island. My friends phone did not work either and someone elses T-mobil one was out of comission also. Here's a tip . Buy a Jamaica phone for about $40.00(usa) and then get a phone card. Right on the beach. They also have a sister property, The Samsara, that you can eat at or hang out. They are on the cliffs, not on the beach. The shuttle will take you to either at 10 am and at 4 only ! If you are in great shape you can walk or take a taxi ! It should cost you no more than 50 Jamaican dollars. Two pools, but why swim there when you have the ocean!

Negril gives meaning to the words:"No Problem Mon"

by TripAdvisor Member Love_Florida_Sun

Having just returned from a brief stay at Legends, here's my scoop.
Legends has 2 distinctive properities. One is facing the ocean side and the other is across a busy street. The garden side, room 712 is where I stayed. The room was clean with a shower, a small sink, 2 double beds, 2 chiffarobes, a small vanity with a mirror and a colored TV. The balcony overlooking the greenery was indeed a welcome feature.

Yes, the beds are on concrete, but I got plenty of comfortable rest.
Cricketts are loud on the garden side, but with the hum of the air conditioner and ceiling fan, it was easy to fall asleep. The rectangular shaped pool was nice but not exceptionally clean as there was some sand at the bottom.

On "garden side", almost right next door, is a little shopping mall called "Towne Center" with quite a few souvineer shops. The locals hang out at the gates to both sides of the property and seem friendly and happy to provide assistance for crossing the street as well as giving their individual sales pitches. Keep your attitude friendly and relaxed, and they will respond accordingly.

On the restaurant side that faces the water, you will be delighted to watch the scenery, the ocean, listen to the music, and enjoy your meal or beverage. For me, it was better not to go all-inclusive as I was given flexibility with meal times and choices. If you desire, off the property and within walking distance, you can choose from other fine restaurants along the beach.

As for night life, Legends does not have live entertainment most nights. As a matter of fact I didn't hear one band during my stay. But, if you enjoy moonlit walks along the beach, you might encounter music to suite your taste.

The free shuttle to their other property - Hotel Samsara is worth the trip. There you will see the cliffs coming out of the water and find a nice relaxing spot to watch the sunset. The shuttle runs twice daily from Legends --leaving at 10:00A.M. and returning at 4:00P.M. Should you decide to make your stay between the hotels longer or shorter, you will find the front desk helpful in obtaining transportation back and forth. It may cost you about five American dollars, but it beats the alternative.

You may be surprised at the number of venders on the beach selling Red Stripe beer, cigarettes, and boat rides. To snorkle out from Legends costs about $20.00 American dollars and it is well worth it, if you are into that sort of thing.

Jamaicans appear friendly and courteous to all people. If you have questions, ask and your answer will most likely be "no problem, mon......."

Legends is nice but not too nice. The food is OK, but not great. All in all, my experience with Legends was positive and I have 'no problem' recomending it as the type of property that is suitable for the young minded, able bodied traveler who doesn't mind doing without all the amenities that higher class properties offer.

Back to Basics

I, my wife and friends stayed at Legends over the Thanksgiving holidays (November 2003). Our room was across the street, not main hotel building. The street is a bit busy but no big deal to cross. The beach is maybe 50 yards from the furthest place in the hotel. Hotel has two pools, one on each side of the street. The water and beach are very nice (sand is superb). Hotel does a good job keeping the hawkers away from the beach goers and does not allow them onto the property (nice). On both sides of the hotel you have other restaurants and bars. The drinks were better (pina coladas made from scratch  yum says my wife) at the hotels next door. The hotel offers a safety deposit box for a charge (got to go to the kitchen area to get it). The hotel is average or maybe a bit bellow average. I can t complain as we got a great deal (USD 400 per person for 4 days including air). Remember Jamaica is not the US and it is a little different (ok, my wife says a lot different) but you must expect that when you travel outside the US. I have traveled quite a bit across the world and this is probably the most 3rd world I have visited. Not a bad place, just different. The only thing that I really did not care for was the lack of hot water in the shower. It was explained to me that the water is heated by a solar system. Since we had lots of clouds hot water was rare. Don t expect luxury. If you have an open mind and go with the flow you will have a good time. P.S. The Jamaicans have a special way of getting you to talk to them up close and personal.  Respect is a way of saying hello, followed by some form of handshake. Be prepared for this If you don t shake their hand you will not be respecting them! They will ask you don t you respect me? Making you feel very guilty and uncomfortable. What worked for me was shaking their hand, acknowledging them while I kept moving and not engaging in much conversation. Be polite as this is the best way to handle any situation. Last thing, negotiate everything, For example we paid USD 130 for a all day tour from Nagril to Bob Marlies house (12 hour day trip). Hope all this help you make your plans.

My love/hate with Legends

First off, I wish I checked with TripAdvisor reviews before booking my vacation.

Just got back from Negril - stayed first week of April '04.

Legends is a trip. Here's my love/hate list. (There are no gray areas...)

LOVED - hot water showers (yes, there was an abundance of hot water)/ daily clean towels/ however, only available at a certain time/ ample drawer-closet space in rooms/ the skinny mirrors/ beach security to stop the locals from hassling you to buy/ breakfasts only/ cocktails - definetly not watered down/ smoothies/ most of the wait staff/ the owner - aka Ariel's dad/ location on the beach/ the beach itself.

HATED - garden side security/ mosquitos in room/ the prison-esque bathroom/ the phone policy (they cut off your phone the evening before you leave..sometimes, that's the most crucial time for phone usage)/ the unfriendly front desk lady/ lunch and dinners - a monotonous palette/ the non-exsistant fitness facility/ the non-existant bar on the beach/ 10 pm bar closing- what? isn't this supposed to be your vacation/ the unprofessionalism of the young staff member who pulled out a machete on one of my visitors/ massive flies at the dining area/ mundane pool areas/ no 24 hour access to reception/pool office.

Ok, so, it's not a 5 star and I wasn't expecting all the lavish things, but little things could have been done here and there to make it a more pleasant stay. Negril, I would go back to. Legends, I would not.

Secure your lugages and your Room at all times

Hotel Management is really bad. The manager didn't have any managment skills. My friends and I stayed here for 6 nights and 7 days, and we almost got robbed on our last night. I was in our room at the time of the break in so none of our stuff were taken. We spoke to the hotel manager the next morning and the only thing he was concerned about was his reputation and not us.

Keep your luggages and room locked

Stayed here on 4/2-9/04 with 4 of my girlfriends. We loved the service we received at the restaurant. However, the Hotel Management is really bad. Our room almost got robbed on our last night and we reported it to the hotel manager the next morning. He was only concerned about himself and his reputation. He didn't want any of us to write a review about our stay nor did he want us to report the attempt robbery to the police. The only he could offer us for our horrible experience was coffee at his restaurant. I would definitely not stay here again the next time I come back to Negril, Jamaica. I would definitly invest my money somewhere else.

Vacationers beware!

The vacation was about to end- we were really enjoying our stay. The restaurant staff were very friendly and accomodating, Fletcher and Mommie were very kind to us. Just when we were dreading going back home, our last night of our vacation changed everything!!! WE WERE ALMOST ROBBED!!! A local climbed onto our porch just after 1 am and broke into the room. Apparently, he thought our room was vacated- but to his surprise one of my girlfriends who was in the bathroom at the time, startled him when she welcomed him with her screams and threatening outbursts. He jumped back down and took nothing but his frightened self. The manager, MAURICE, the liar and unhelpful, treated us first with indifference when it was first reported. He tried to cover it up with an outrageous story, "His painter's son lost his wallet and tried looking for it that evening and felt going incognito because he didn't want to disturb the guests..." that was the gist of his story!!!! SO DONT STAY HERE!

Comments