Negril Escape Resort and Spa

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 35% less than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• dustmon's Profile Photo

Cliffside Ambiance

Negril Escape, for old timers like me, is on the old Mariners property and is pretty much the same place, just different owners. They have a cliffside restaurant, and I believe they have an all-inclusive option where guests can eat 3 meals a day there, included in their room rate. I have eaten there many times, and lately, your best option is their buffet, especially breakfast. They usually have eggs, bacon, ackee, lots of fresh fruit, johhnycakes, and juice and coffee...Sometimes weird stuff like lamb livers and saltfish, but hey, when in Rome......
    The views up and down the coast are lovely and the swimming is good here, although they also have a freshwater pool for guests only. A massage hut sits right on the ocean's edge and close by is a blow-hole---really loud during high seas!
    Rates for a king size bed ocean view in the off season will run about $170...check out
    www.negrilescape.com for more info and lots of pix....keep in mind that the off season is also hurricane season.....FYI :>
    updated Oct/2010---watching the waves crash against the Lighthouse here made for some wonderful photos---resort still going strong--saw 2 families during this trip for me---NE is next door to Seagrape Villas where I stay---
    They also have guided PADI scuba trips from here-------
    updated April 2011
    Negril Escape has initiated a big music push with really big names playing right on the cliffs (right next door to where I stay at Seagrape Villas---a free front row seat!) Recently Julian Marley, Toots and the Maytals and others have played and the week we were there, the Heptones played, (The Book of Rules---Rockers). We sat out on the cliff area of our cottage and watched the hundreds of people crammed into Negril Escape for this event and listened for free to a concert costing $40 US---also saw a nice wedding in front of the lighthouse earlier....
    The pool was in good condition and the grounds looked fresh and inviting for those wanting a little larger resort...The lighthouse is still a big photo op!

Unique Quality: restaurant onsite, also has Lighthouse---you can dive off the Lighthouse into the Bay!

Directions: 1/2 mile before Ricks Cafe

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Great location on the cliffs

We stayed six nights at the Negril Escape, which I’d found through internet searches. It’s a mid-priced option in the West End, well situated for restaurants to suit all budgets, and we were very happy with our choice. Accommodation is in a number of blocks scattered through the pretty gardens. We stayed in Coconut Grove, which I chose because its décor seemed more in keeping with the Caribbean setting than some of the others (such as “Orient Express” or “Back to Africa”). We had a standard ocean view room (only slightly obscured by another cottage in front and to one side) with one double bed. The view was one of the best things about the room – as we weren’t overlooked we could leave the curtains open at night and wake up to see the sea almost at the foot of our bed, it seemed. The room was pretty basic in its décor, but a reasonable size and with a lovely balcony. There was a TV (which I don’t remember us ever putting on!), A/C and a ceiling fan, a rather small bathroom but with a fairly good shower. One small downside was the thinness of the walls – something the couple in the room next door were obviously less aware of (or less bothered by) than we were!

Breakfast was served between 7.30 and 10 in the bar area (covered but open on two sides to the sea). It was buffet style, with fruit, bread, a selection of hot dishes both Jamaican (ackee and saltfish, calaloo) and international (bacon, eggs) and good coffee with unlimited refills. It wasn’t a patch on the Blue House breakfasts we’d enjoyed in Ocho Rios but was fine for our needs. We didn’t eat dinner here at all, but the menu looked OK. We did go for lunch on our last morning, and this was the one time we were let down by the otherwise friendly service – having waited 40 minutes for my fish it was finally served only lukewarm as apparently the waitress had left it sitting in the upstairs kitchen for ages rather than go up to collect it. As it was too late by then to get a replacement (our taxi was due to take us to the airport) I had to share Chris’s tuna salad. In fairness, the manageress was very apologetic when I mentioned it on checking out, and it was our only complaint, so I wouldn’t judge the place too harshly for this.

There are additional photos of the resort in my other accommodation tip, "Where to stay"

Unique Quality: The best thing about the Negril Escape is its setting. It claims to have the widest sea-side expanse of any of Negril’s cliff-side properties, and we spent most of our downtime enjoying the sea crashing against the rocks (and occasionally splashing us!) from our favourite seats – accompanied of course by an appropriate refreshment from the bar.

We also spent some time relaxing by the pool after our various outings, sometimes with one of the hotel’s cats for company. Although not large compared with some of the more expensive resorts, the pool was reasonable and never very full. But if you prefer the beach, the hotel offers a twice daily shuttle to its sister property on the bay, the Mariner’s Inn (see my General Tip on the beach for more about this).

All in all I’d recommend the Negril Escape if you want a good location and reasonable facilities without paying a fortune!
    [Our room, one of the cheaper ones, cost US$150 for two, including breakfast]

Directions: [taken from hotel’s website] From roundabout in town, take the West End Road. Continue for 5 miles passing the Pirates Cave, the Rockhouse and Sea Grape Villas until you see the Negril Escape Resort sign on the right.

More about Negril Escape Resort and Spa

Very enjoyable stay at Negril Escape

by TripAdvisor Member DFarmer

Third attempt to post this report - hopefully 3 times is a charm! Unfortunately not! Oh well I cannot seem to get the photos to post. SO....

We spent the second half of our Negril trip at Negril Escape Resort (first half at Rondel Village). Somehow I managed to post the Rondel review, but forgot to post the Negril Escape portion, I typed it months ago! So this trip was in early June 06, sorry for the delayed review.

On the morning we were headed to Negril Escape, I requested a driver to take us to the cliffs. This is when I realized that the name Negril Escape was really very very new to Negril. Thankfully I had learned of the name change through my research, since I continued to realize many of the locals were yet to become familiar with the change. I always had to tell them “the old Mariners Inn on the cliffs”

Reluctantly I admit that I was skeptical of this hotel, new name, not many reviews, etc. All my emails were answered promptly, it came highly recommended, my girls loved the new website and pictures, so I booked it.

Immediately upon arrival I knew I had found a gem – we all fell in love with the place!

Joy at the front desk was so nice and friendly, just like running into an old friend, check in was filled with laughter. Welcome drinks were delivered and then Rebah happened into the front desk area, we were fast engaged in conversation, friendly but not intruding.

Off to the rooms – but we have so many things to look at and our excitement is getting the best of us. WOW look at the sea! Finally we arrive at our building – again can’t get over this place. Loved our room! Loved our view! OK just really loving everything!

We stayed in the “Passage to India” building. We had the upstairs rooms. I am not going to go into a lot about the rooms, as the website pictures are very accurate. I will say that management was still working to put in coffeemakers and mini fridges. I had taken my travel coffeemaker, but did request a refrigerator. The room was comfortable, the bathroom very large. (Oh if it is stormy and the power goes off, so does the water, but the AC still works!)

We met Shirley in the restaurant, what a pleasant person she is! I spent a lot of time talking with Shirley and learning of the very many changes that had taken place around the property. Listening to the stories about the destruction and rebuilding. It still amazes me.

The pool had been refurbished, the outdoor furniture replaced, the vast stone deck area completely replaced, many of the stone walls had been rebuilt, new stairs put in, the lighthouse had been partially rebuilt, a new lighthouse type structure was built for the spa area, a new bar was in the building stage, some of the buildings were still under renovations. This place has pretty much been totally rebuilt or refurbished. The buildings are so pretty, fresh and brightly painted.

Much of the grounds had to be replanted, and the job they were doing with the grounds is awesome. They had planted everything from tropical flowers, to corn, beans, tomatoes and much much more! The gardens were already beautiful.

A bit about the layout of the resort. Spa, lighthouse and deck areas all along the Cliffside, restaurant set back from the deck area. All of these areas have awesome panoramic views! Going on back toward the road, is the dive center, offices and reception. East from the restaurant is the pool and the rooms. Pool is in front of the Orient Express building. The most direct ocean view buildings are Orient Express, Passage to India, Romancing the Kasba and Back to Africa. The row of buildings just behind these all have a water view, but not unobstructed. They are Royal Jamaica (was unfinished), Coconut Grove, Country Cottage and Atlantis. Then set a bit further back are two 3 story buildings that had yet to be finished.

Everyone here was extremely pleasant and was happy to go above and beyond the call of duty. For example, Shirley walked with us one day to the craft vendor stalls across from RockHouse. Sharing information, pointing out things, it was like we had known her forever. Teresa put minutes on her cell phone for me to use to call my husband, I insisted on making the call on the land line and paying the charges, but she insisted on me using her cell! Even came to me later in our stay to offer her phone again. One morning, Shirley overheard me say that I wanted to go back to Rick’s and get a gift, but it rained all day, later in the day she found me, to tell me she had their driver available to take me to Rick’s whenever I would like to go – I was amazed and couldn’t believe she had gone out of her way to do this for us and to top it off she went with me! Rebah sent dominoes up to our room for the girls on the day that it rained. Things like this happened all the time! Everyone going out of their way to make certain our stay was perfect!

Pretty much we had breakfast and lunch here each day, all were tasty. And try a chocolate milkshake, my daughters are convinced these are the best in the world! We were very content to just hang out and relax on the decks. However, we did walk to some shops, then to Pirates Cave for dinner one evening and to watch the cliff divers, the divers were exciting to watch, but the food was so so and the service seemed uninspired. Made reservations at RockHouse for dinner one night, they picked us up, the food was delicious and service were delightful. Walked to Ricks to see the divers and listen to the band, this was fun, the music was great, the crowd was too large. Otherwise we just enjoyed being at Negril Escape.

The girls loved snorkeling off the cliffs, I loved being able to sit quietly and read a book. We all enjoyed the pool, the quiet and the serenity of this place. My daughters were just as content and happy as I was. We all loved the relaxing, lazy feel of this place.
I knew I would enjoy this pace, but was very surprised to learn that my teenage daughters enjoyed the quietness of the cliffs over the hustle and bustle of the beach!

Would we go back? ABSOLUTELY!

Something for everyone

by toonsarah

When Chris suggested that we go to Jamaica, my first thought was of all-inclusive resorts. Depending on what you want from a holiday, these can be fine (we stayed in one for a few days at the end of our Cuba trip, and it was quite nice to be pampered) but I don’t think they’re a good way to really see a country. For one thing, when you’ve paid in advance for all the facilities of the resort, the temptation is never to leave it. I also get the impression that people staying in these resorts in Jamaica are advised that it isn’t safe to go outside – in our experience this is b******t, probably designed to keep you there and spending more money!

So what’s the alternative? Well, I was surprised to find when I started my research quite a number of Bed & Breakfast establishments on the island, and the one we chose for our first destination, the Blue House in Ocho Rios, turned out to be a real gem. Run on similar lines to US B&Bs we’ve stayed in, this was the ideal place to meet some local people and like-minded fellow travellers, and our time here got our Jamaican trip off to the best possible start.

In Negril we chose a hotel, but a simpler one, with a bed & breakfast only option, freeing us up to discover different restaurants each evening and spend our days exploring the island. While not of the standard of the Blue House, the Negril Escape also proved to be a good choice, with a great location on Negril’s scenic cliffs.

Good patties

by toonsarah about The Little Sandwich Hut

Just opposite the Negril Escape is this little shack that sells various lunchtime snacks at very reasonable prices. We bought some patties here one day to take back and eat on our balcony. They were huge – mine with cheese and vegetables, Chris’s with beef. At just 250 Jamaican dollars (about US$4) we considered this a real bargain.

Can't Wait to Go Back!

by TripAdvisor Member ahessevt

My fiance and I stayed at Negril Escape a few weeks ago. We were in Negril looking for a site with beautiful views and an attentive staff for our wedding; we definitely found this at Negril Escape and can't wait to have our wedding there in July.

Relaxing, friendly, peaceful

by TripAdvisor Member miles1234

My husband and I had previously travelled only all inclusive, so this was a different experience for us. We found the Negril Escape lovely, the staff at the front desk very friendly and helpful, and the setting tranquil. Our room was the kasba, beautiful, with vaulted ceiling, a fan, a/c and best of all a great view of the sea...We were in Jamacia last year, at an all inclusive resort, which was perhaps technically more modern and "nice" but not nearly as interesting and charming and tranquil.Also, this encouraged us to go out and explore Jamaica, which we were discouraged from doing previously. Alan, the driver, was helpful in many ways, and I'd like to say thank you to him, and all of the others at Negril Escape who helped make our stay easy, and pleasant, and most of all, safe......

My daughters wedding

by TripAdvisor Member happyinatlanta

My daughter and her husband chose this location for their wedding. They wanted to be married on a cliff overlooking the ocean at sunset. The resort did an excellent job of providing the wedding they wanted. They had been to Jamaica earlier in the year to choose their location and Negril Escape is the place they decided on. Close to 35 family members and friends came to the wedding and we were all received with hospitality and open arms. Everything was perfect. The arrangement and placement of the chairs for the wedding, the food, entertainment and the service.

I would love to go back some day.

WOW - What a Gem!

by TripAdvisor Member PA-SunLovers

My wife and I have been vacationing in the West End of Negril for the past 12 years at a hotel down the street from Negril Escape. This year, the other hotel "lost" our reservations and we had to scramble to find a substitute. What we found was Negril Escape. WOW! What an improvement over our previous hotel.

Firstly, the front desk was extremely friendly, courteous, and catered to our every wish. Teresa, Nekeisha and Suzette made us feel as though we had been their guest for many years. When they discovered that it was our anniversary, they even surprised us with a special gift in our room. This warmth and hospitality was also extended to us by the maids, waitstaff, security, and even the groundskeepers!

Now for the site....The gardens are well maintained and beautiful with flowers, banana trees and more. The natural cliffs really complete the lovely setting. There is plenty of shade provided by thatched umbrellas and comfortable chairs and lounges with cushions. The dim lighting at night is great since it allows for romantic star-gazing!

The morning breakfast buffet provided a wide variety of local and traditional foods, including fresh fruit every day. Even though the on-site restaurant served great food, we like to explore for dinner and enjoyed the fact that there were many of our local (inexpensive), favorite restaurants within walking distance.

Unlike many hotels in Jamaica, management at the Negril Escape is committed to continually improving their property and they were genuinely interested in feedback. We will be another one of their many repeat guests and will surely bring friends!

true "jamaican" resort !!!

by TripAdvisor Member jamaicadelite

we just returned from negril escape yesterday and we had a wonderful time !! this plase is a "natural" paradise !! the people are so friendly. we had an un-obstructed view of the sea (kazba building),as well as a front porch with 2 chairs, and a palapa with 2 beach chairs. sure there is no beach but the coral and cliffs do just fine. this is real jamaica ,deal with it, you might have a good time!! walk to the local restaraunts, have a red stripe at a local bar, get away from the all-inclusives!

the ladies at the front desk could not have been friendlier, they have a private driver to take you out and bring you back, the bar staff and waitrices are so friendly, you will know them by name and they will know yours too.(big up alrick at the bar, we really enjoyed our time with you. these people make you feel at home, from letting me use their cell phone to make calls to the states, to free trips to the beach for the sister property, even to one waitress personally knocking on our door to wake us for the free breakfast (we were out late and didnt want to miss it,so we asked her too the day before)

this place is not the ritz...If you want to stay on a stuffy property and never see jamaica, or meet "real" jamaicans, then stay somewhere for triple the price, buy some "ya mon" t-shirts, a bottle of appleton rum and tell all your friends you have been to jamaica ...if you really know what it is about.....chech this place out....respect

we have been to jamaica 12 times and really enjoy our trips there. we have meet many friends and visit them every time we come. if you have any questions please dont hesitate to ask us for we have stayed at many all-inclusives and many small inns. we can even hook you up with the best, safest, reliable driver on the island to take you from the airport to the hotel, as well as tours...john and regina, baltimore md. (jamaicadelite@comcast.net)

At the Negril EscapeAt the Negril Escape