Samsara Hotel

dustmon's Profile Photo

Older Cliffside resort with style

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 18, 2011

Samsara has been in the same location for many years now, and used to be one of the main places you could see live music on the cliffs...Samsara has a sister hotel on the beach (Legends) and you can spend time at both while staying at one...The Cliff resort has different styles of rooms from cottages, to hotel rooms to unique "pillar houses" and has a pool, spa services, jacuzzi, restaurant, and a free twice daily shuttle to the beach resort, Legends where you can laze on the beach or enjoy the other services there.
There is a PADI SCUBA shop where you can book trips out into the Caribbean or to the reef--my opinion is that Negril is no longer a great dive area, only snorkling around the cliffs, especially near the lighthouse.
The website often has deals so check for the latest pricing-----

Unique Quality: Cliffside, restaurant, cottages

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 23, 2011

We just returned from 6 days in Negril at Samsara and 6 days was NOT enough. the hotel was wonderful. The staff, the food, the views, the pool, cliffs, etc - everything was perfect. You can tell that the staff enjoys their job becasue they take amazing care of their guests and the property. Our room was comfortable and cleaned nicely every day. We did the all inclusive and LOVED it. For us, it was perfect to be able to get a drink whenever we wanted, plus breakfast was wonderful and basically everything was delicious. If you go, stay at Samsara - you will NOT regret it. I have travelled all over the Caribbean and Europe and I can honestly say that this place made me feel more comfortable and relaxed than any other place that I have been to in the Caribbean - Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Bahamas, Cayman, and even Ocho Rios - none of were as nice as Samsara. It isn't luxury, but it is perfect!

Unique Quality: The staff, the views, the cliffs, the location...

kiddoc58's Profile Photo

Cliff Side Resort

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 4, 2010

I stayed here the week after Easter and it was very pleasant. I had booked a package through an online travel service, and requested a standard room. Upon my arrival I was offered a lovely hut on stilts that overlooked the cliffs. it was a nice upgrade. the staff were friendly at all times. There is a restaurant on premises, They offer an all-inclusive package that provides meals and drinks, but I prefer to eat away from my hotel most of the time if something else is available, The times I did try the house kitchen were more than satifactory, the taditional curry and jerk meals were exceptional. There is a dive shop on premises as well.

Unique Quality: Located on the cliffs of Negril, this resort offers standard hotel-like accomodations as well as solitary huts on stilts. From the cliffs you can dive into the clear surf. The all-inclusive package allows you to use the facilities at Legends, Resort located on the beach on approx, two miles away, and a shuttle is provided, There is no beach here but there is a pool and you can get into the water using ladders that descend down the "cliffs", about 20 ft.

Samsara, travellers beware!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 25, 2008

I am a traveller, not a tourist. The Samsara is a facade of a nice hotel under which you find a rotten core. We travel the world as a family and I have never written a review on line. In this case I am inspired to write. The Samsara...beautiful location, and all the employees of the resort were so kind and attentive, amazing when they're working 10-12 hours a day for under 10 dollars a day. It was the presence of the strutting little rooster of an owner and his sister who sat at the bar, chain-smoking and ridiculing guests to other guests that made our stay less than enjoyable. My first interaction with him was when he chased me and my two young children to the pool trying to kick us out for trespassing when we were staying there for 3 weeks! It's an environment of obscene greed, with owners who provide the cooks with the lowest quality food ingredients available and charge insane prices for the food. An 8 ounce cup of beer at the bar costs more than double a bottle of beer at any other resort-and that's at 1/2 price "happy" hour. The owners buy sheets too small to even cover the mattresses and more than half the towels have holes or stains on them, The cleaning ladies leave your room sparkling, doing the best they can with the cheap, nasty blankets to hide that the sheets end a foot above the end of the mattress. Kudos to the security team for making it a safe place to stay, we never felt anything but secure under their watchful eye. The only benefit to having seen the owner screaming at all the hard working employees daily in front of guests is that if you mention you are staying at the Samsara to any locals they will just say "oh". But if you mention that the owner seems like a real nasty piece of work, every local will pat you on the back and call you a friend. There are better places for less money on the west end. Eat at Jenny's restaurant, Three Dives, Spice and Spice, Kool Brown, and Juicy J's if you get a chance. Jamaica was poor on cash, but rich with amazing local people and beautiful scenery.

Nearby Samsara Hotel

• Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet
  • On the Beach

Negril Travel Forum

Need advice about Negril, Jamaica? Visit the Travel Forum for Negril and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Negril hotel reviews