Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa All-Inclusive

eaglealan's Profile Photo

Goofs Ups Can Lead to Great Vacations

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 2, 2014

Before I begin let me mention my wife and I are not honeymooners (married 43 yrs), have traveled extensively throughout the world staying at many top hotels and resorts, and are experienced with receiving top service.

Yet unfortunately, when we arrived at the Jamaica Monte go Bay Airport on our way to Sandals Negro Resort, we began a collision course with inefficiency and delight. First, after clearing customs at the airport we were treated to their inefficient shuttle service, which was like bad hangover. Sandals made us wait 1+ hour after clearing customs before taking us to the resort, 15 minutes of which was waiting in a dirty old van. Their program said it was 1 ¼ hours away, yet the trip took 1:40 mins; so after arriving 6:50PM we finally made it to the resort at 9:30PM. That was a total of 2:40 min. And their program said no tipping at their resorts, that is, until the porter carries your bags to the van and tells you he is not with Sandals and would like one. Okay just minor things. Well finally at the resort, and were to receive special treatment at check-in by a butler in our room. Opps, butlers go home at 8PM, so a lady from the concierge who knew nothing about anything. So did we get a second treatment! We signed secretive papers, not given the special tropical fruit drink for all thirsty guests on arrival (I had to ask twice) and were then taken down a dark unlit hallway. Finally I asked, if she could explain what we were passing by. Yup, there’s a restaurant, menus on the wall. “I had to ask, ‘Do you eat breakfast there?’” “Yes,” she said (not knowing 3 restaurants serve breakfast).” Impressive huh. Then things really cooked up at the room. She said, “There’s the bathroom and here’s the bed. Gee I didn’t even have a walking stick; I was surprised she didn’t indicate the toilet paper. I asked, “Where is the mini-bar (at this point I needed a real drink). “I’ll omit the missing things in the mini-bar. Then the following came to her, “O by the way that stuff next to the mini-bar cost money.” (really $12-$15 for M&M’s at an all-inclusive report, guess Sandals is desperate). I had them later taken out cause I couldn’t see paying $4000-5000 a week for a room week and seeing them. Ah, these are just minor little things. Who would care? So after she quickly left and we started to either laugh or cry, I forget which cause staying at any Sandals is NOT cheap. Okay, maybe some food will help because classy A/A no longer gives free dood in economy and we had traveled for more 8 hours. And besides, she told us all restaurants closed at 9:00PM (a lie). So lets see what room service has, err couldn’t read the menu caus it was in 2 point font in light pink ink, seriously, and the binder was even broken. Still I thought this expensive resort must have something good like steak or chicken, nope late arrivals got either leftover club sandwich or fatting hamburgers. So we went to bed exhausted and dreaming not of paradise but of being stuck in this place for one week.

Well, eventually all things work out for the better, IF YOU COMPLAIN. Next day the fantastic butler Basil T. and the guest manager Andrea B. were in our room LISTENING to our ordeal. Both were greatly disturbed about the service that we received. Moreover they made a concerted effort all week to offer us the best service anyone could ask for. The next evening the bathtub was filled with bubbles and flowers and the bed adorned with love-you ducks and flowers. Andrea also gave us a completely free 50 min. couple’s message with no tip. Basil T. was one of the nicest gentlemen we have ever met, we would be proud if he were our son. He and Damon (our second butler) always had our beach chairs reserved, breakfast, lunch, and dinners planned, and drinks ready before we asked. How pleasant he was to talk to, his advice was terrific, and at everything we asked, he did a super job. All we had to do is walk to enjoy the food and drinks, and lay back in the sun. That was for us! Also Oolain, the security guard on the beach was terrific, always protecting the guests from people selling stuff.

Furthermore, we must advise everyone to go to their option special candlelight dinner on the beach. It costs $170, but was the dinner of a lifetime – best we ever had. Their 5 star chef (we met him twice) made duck that was superb, and the lamb from down under was fabulous, the view of the water awesome, and a young girl named Sherica J. was the star of the evening. She was so pleasant, fun, and a delight, and we laughed together. We could adopt her too as our daughter, she was just wonderful and very pretty and laughed at my jokes too. Don’t listen to anyone who says their food is less than excellent!

As for all the stuff at the beginning, most were bad procedures where Sandals Inc. was at fault, and their brochures, website, the the people who called us were misleading. They need to be more concerned about their guests. In contrast the on sight staff was wonderful and alert. Nickeysua (?) at the Barefoot Restaurant made us feel at home. So you see people ARE the service at the best hotels and resorts where managers care about their guests. By the way, Sandals Negro is a very pretty and tropical resort especially when the lights go on, if you know what I mean. The good, the bad and the ugly. Still if you are thinking of going go, all this stuff is for Sandals Inc. and the “hotel” manager who obviously was to busy to meet us – his guests.

O’ one more thing. My bill was wrong – three credits were missing and it took several hours on our last full day to fix it. Ugly, but they did. Still I want that total time of one day back where we had to discuss such foolish things on a vacation.

Unique Quality: Negril seven mile beach is not on white sand, rather its light brown, still a very nice resort and grounds. Very pleasant staff, Great food, especially at Barefoot, Sundowner, and Kiomonos. Nice Spa. The butler serice was fantastic and the candlelight dinner on the beach was awesome.

Wonderful and polite staff at the resort.

Directions: It is 1 1/2 hours from the airport. It took us 3 hours after arriving to get to the resort. Checkin after 8PM is awful.

Never Again

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 19, 2010

I recently (Feb 5-12) traveled with my family to Negril, Jamaica to participate in my brother’s wedding on the beach and enjoy some vacation time in Jamaica. I was traveling with my fiancé, my sister and my parents. As I was the best man in the wedding, my father was a groomsman and my sister was a bridesmaid, we all decided to stay at the location of the wedding (Sandals Negril). In addition, to ensure we could all spend time together as a family we all wanted to be at the same resort thus we all booked our travel to Sandals Negril more than six months in advance of the trip. Further, we all received confirmation of our reservations at Sandals Negril and paid in full at the appropriate time. Upon our arrival at the Sandals hub in the Jamaica airport we were notified that two of the three rooms within our party were overbooked and moved away from the rest of the family and away from the resort where the wedding was being held. As you could image this came to us as a huge shock and developed into a major frustration and inconvenience as we were all part of the wedding party. After spending three plus hours of dealing with Donald Smith and Gary Stewart in the Jamaica airport (both of which represent the worst examples of customer service I have ever seen), the only thing that was clear was that mine and my sister’s Sandals reservations were not going to be upheld. In order to make the wedding rehearsal in time we all loaded up and headed for Sandals Negril. Upon our arrival we were met by Nichelle Oxford who tried to be as understanding as possible(much better customer service). However, even she could not change the circumstances that our reservations were not going to be upheld. After the rehearsal and dinner, me, my fiancé and my sister all went over to check into the other resort. During our check in we noted this was not an 18 and up couples resort and upon getting to our rooms we found that both rooms did not have the water turned on. We could not flush the toilet, wash our hands or take a shower until the next morning. The next day (also the day of the wedding) we had to make several trips between the resorts to make previously arranged appointments and prepare for the wedding, yet another inconvenience. In addition, after all the wedding day events and the end of the evening we could not walk back to our rooms and turn in for the night. Instead we had to wait for transportation to take us back to the other resort. This process of going back and forth between resorts continued for the next two days. Finally on the fourth night of our 7 night stay in Jamaica we were moved back to Sandals Negril, where our reservations that were booked over six months ago were made. In addition, to help smooth the process we were allowed a mini bar in the room (which was of no use to us), 24 hour room service (which we used maybe 2 times) and a $150 resort credit (which might have made up the difference in price from Sandals Negril to the other resort for the 3 nights we stayed). To me these are all token gestures in an effort to put out the immediate fire. However, this does not at all excuse the complete lack of confidence I have in any Sandals resort to uphold their end of the bargain to ensure my reservation remains in-tact as I made it and not as Sandals deems appropriate. Further, based on my experience of this situation I will not plan a trip using Sandals again.

Directions: 7 mile beach

Friendly staff & beautiful beaches!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 24, 2009

We booked our trip to Jamaica through Caribbean-TravelDeals.com, and our stay was made fun by the friendly staff and beautiful, relaxing beaches! We found the rooms in this hotel pretty plain and small, so get a room with a view to make up for it! The gym was great, and despite the weather being bad for a few days (heavy rains) the staff was very accommodating -- they even took us waterskiing in light rain! Take the Zip-Line Canopy tour if you get a chance during your stay; it’s an amazing thrill! The water and the beach here were beautiful, but the beach itself is narrow. Food in the restaurants was OK for an all-inclusive, but we found that the Japanese restaurant was disappointing. Overall we had a lot of fun! This resort is quite expensive, but we were able to find a great deal through Caribbean-TravelDeals.com.

Unique Quality: Great gym!

Nearby Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa All-Inclusive

• Suites
  • Airport Transportation
  • Bar / Lounge

Negril Travel Forum

Need advice about Negril, Jamaica? Visit the Travel Forum for Negril and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Negril hotel reviews

Authentic Pizza
Good Jerk Chicken
Late Night Delight
Restaurants
One of the first restaurants in Negril
Rick's Café
Best Fried Chicken
Xtabi is Excellent!
Clive's Transport Service
Transportation
Beach... of course!
Things to Do
You WILL come back for Jerry's cooking.
Snorkeling in Bloody Bay
Things to Do
Transport from MJB (Montego Bay)
Transportation
Day road trip to Seaford Town
Things to Do
Hang out on the beach all day seek the shade.
Massage on your patio
Negril
Warnings and Dangers
Long Bay Beach Park
Now open to Public
Restaurants
Egret rookery at the roundabout
got cash?