Norman Manley Blvd, Negril, Caribbean

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Sunset on the Beach Resort

Room-Sunset Beach

by Dabs about Sunset Beach Resort and Spa

Here's a picture of the room, we were in tower B, one of the two towers on the property. There were also rooms in two story buildings further on the property.

Another view-Sunset Beach

by Dabs about Sunset Beach Resort

Here's another view from our balcony of the lagoon behind our hotel. There were several boats that had sunk that you could see only the masts, they were there when we visited this resort two years ago!

Sunset Beach Resort and Spa is...

by HarrisTravel

Sunset Beach Resort and Spa is a very nice all-inclusive resort. Secluded but easy access to Montego Bay. Not on the highest end of the all-inclusives, but very well worth staying there. Since Jamiaca is the 'all-inclusive capitol of the world' you have many resorts to choose from - but this one is very nice. All-inclusive is the way to go - since it includes all your food, beverages, entertainment. Nice rooms with great views, nice pool - but our room was just steps from the beach.

Affordable AI in Montego Bay

by Dabs about Sunset Beach Resort and Spa

3rd visit February 2008

If you are looking for an all inclusive at a reasonable price, this is your place. Sunset Beach was one of the lowest priced AI packages I found. Located at the furthest end of Montego Bay, 15-20 minute drive from the airport, Sunset Beach is a 420 room resort on a secluded beach.

The rooms are not plush, but they are clean, the beds reasonably comfortable and hot water in the shower. We had probably the worst view in the resort but many overlook the ocean and some the mountains. Room amenities include a room safe, hair dryer and a/c. The toiletries were in dispensers on the wall (good for the environment I suppose) but if you are fussy about what shampoo you use, you might bring your own. No conditioner or lotion.

The resort has three pools (one w/ a swimup bar) and three beaches, one au naturel. The au naturel beach is at the end of the property so you won't pass by it unless you specifically want to go there. Since our last visit they have added a couple of good water slides and a very nice lazy river.

There are two reservation restaurants, one Chinese and one Italian, the Chinese was just OK and the Italian had good food but a frustratingly long wait to get served as they have only two seatings (the 6 pm slot seemed to be better than the 8 pm slot in terms of being served). Make your reservations first thing when you arrive if you want to go. For all other dining there is a buffet restaurant that had good food but not as much variety as some of the larger resorts. There was also a place to get burgers, fries, etc.

There were several bars, lots of people bought their own mugs so they didn't have to get the small plastic cups.

There seemed to be plenty of activities during the day and entertainment at night. I found the service here to be friendly, check in was quick and efficient. The folks at the tour desk were helpful in booking trips. If you want to go into Montego Bay, there is a shopping shuttle for $12 per person round trip. Taxis from the resort seemed to be expensive, $20 each way to the downtown/hip strip area.

We spent a lot of our time away from the resort and didn't require spa services and pampering so this was a good option for us, inexpensive (for Jamaica anyway), not too far from the airport and secluded.

Guests ranged to all ages, lots of young kids, a few spring breakers. Lots of Americans and British.

Sunset Beach Resort

by natashaward about Sunset Beach Resort

The rooms were nice. The food was good. The nightly entertainment was excellent. The people who work there was really nice.

Perfect Restort - Lacluster Spa

by 7h0rn about Sunset Beach Resort and Spa

When we first got to Sunset, we were shown to our room, which was musty and NOT the room we paid for. We went back down to the check-in and (long story shortened) were shown one of the best suites in the towers. We took the suite for a $30/night upgrade. The best move we made at the resort was to do that.
My friend and I made matching Spa appointments for right then (at 1 pm they weren't crowded at all) but I would have to wait until the next day to get a haircut as they only stylist was leaving at 3pm. So onto the Spa we went. We both got facials and massaged. The facial was too light for me and too hard on my friend. At one point there was an electric rod they used on our faces and mine felt as if it weren't even on while my friend was being peeled off the ceiling from her's being on too high.
The resort itself was huge. There are 3 pools - 2 have a swim-up bar, the remaining was on the "family" area where most of the kids were. There is a gazebo between the towers and the single-level units where a couple of weddings took place while we were there.
The 2 restaurants - italian and chinese - are both inculded in the all-inclusive deal. Personally, I liked the italian one better, but they were both excellent.
The breakfast buffet had something new everyday and a standard supply of cereal, fruit and pastries/bread. There was also a cook onhand every morning making omlettes and/or waffles. The coffee was amazing.
We went to the nude beach several times. I loved snorkeling out in the nude area. The only downside of the water in that area is that it seemed to have far more urchins then any of the other areas. Pulling your lounge chair into the surf and just laying in the sun was fabulous.
The staff was very nice, helpful and friendly. Some of the staff would hang out and talk more then others many told us it was against the rules for them to spend too much time with one customer chatting and such, so they did seem a little nervous about talking with us too long. We had a perfect view of the beach and ocean from our very large patio. Several times we took our beach towels out and laid on the patio nude and watched the people and water below - or listened to the band playing at night from our luxurious perch.

The spa is probably much better to experience during the high season when they are really trying to impress people. I did like the treatment room for 2, the first I've seen in all my spatripping.

View-Sunset Beach

by Dabs about Sunset Beach Resort

Here's the view from our hotel balcony, you can see the tennis courts and a bit of one of the pools and some of the low rise buildings.

View of Sunset BeachView of Sunset Beach

weather in june

by vpbebe

hi all jst startin to plan my hols for next year and we were thinkin of jamaica. what is the weather like here in june? also does anyone have any comments on the sunset beach resort and spa? are there many tourists about in june, or is this off peak season?
thanks

RE: weather in june

by toemayn

June is off peak season in JA weather is good as always may have an afternoon shower. Shouldn't be crowded. I don't have any info about sunset beach sorry.

RE: RE: weather in june

by Susannah843

We went to the Sunset Beach in November 2004, not to stay, just for a lok round and didn'tlike it at all. It was crowded, noisy and none too clean. And not at the nicest bit of Montego Bay. there are better places if you ask me, I would think about the east of Mobay for a start, there's Sunspree, Wyndham Rosehall and even Sea castles (where we stayed) which was quite cheap and very quiet. You would need a car though but I reckon you'd need one at Sunset Beach.

Currency

by pangga

Hi, I'm going to the Sunset Beach Resort, Montego Bay on Oct 14th and having never been to Jamaica before I wondered if anyone could advise me on the best currency to take. Are US dollars widely accepted or will we need Jamaican dollars?

It would be nice to hear from anyone going to the resort at the same time as us too.

Re: Currency

by Dabs

I've been to Jamaica several times and I don't think I've ever even seen Jamaican currency. You can use USD or credit cards at that resort to book excursions, you can give tips in USD, I think even the markets quote prices in USD.

Do try and go off the resort at least once, the Jamaician countryside is actually quite pretty. From Montego Bay you can go visit several different falls and quite a few other places.

Wearing jewelry

by tcp76

Hey! I am going to Jamaica in 2 weeks and so excited! I have been before but it was 7 years ago. I've been going on every website possible getting ready! On one it said not to wear expensive jewelry. Is this true? I mean I wasnt planning on wear nothing much (my everyday wear) but a bangle, earrings, necklace and last but certainly not least my wedding band. All are gold and yes my ring was a pretty penny. Should I not wear it? Is it dangerous to have these items on? Anyone stayed at Sunset Beach & Spa? That is where we are going and I want to know is it as nice at the pics?

by cgf

"On one it said not to wear expensive jewelry"

it's up to you, I would not take it.

by reginastocks

no to jewelry, not even fabulous fakes, why tempt anyone for no reason!!

by katchow

Leave the expensive bling at home. Just wear your wedding band. nothing else.

by Khimquess

Take it from a Jamaican (born, grew up here & living here) in a Tourist resort. It's perfectly safe to wear ur jewelry. The oly places it would be safe to wear them is in Down town Kingston or in sertain ghettoes (which I'm sure u won't be visiting). It's so annoying the way they try to market Jamaica at this dangerous place when it's only a stunt pulled by the SELFISH allinclusive hoteliers who want to keep guests inside their walls so they alone can reap the benifit.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

by MsMaryA

I agree, I've been travelling to JA for many years alone and I wear my jewelry, never even thought about not wearing it. Would you wear your jewelry in NY, CHI, Miami, LA, Philly or any other big city?

Trust me, its SAFE!