The Palms Resort

Similarly priced and rated as other 2.5 star hotels

More about The Palms Resort

The Palms resort is Okay

by TripAdvisor Member Domer87

First the positives: The location is great, right on the beach and the deck and pool area are also fantastic. The bar on the beach is a great place to hang out and relax, you will enjoy spending time there talking to Shannon. In fact all of the staff was terrific, and very helfpul.
Negatives: Hotel is being renovated, but I found the air conditioning to be sub par, along with the overall room. It was ok, but not what I am used to. No ice bucket or glasses, very low water pressure, I had to go to the Manager to ask about the water pressure, but they quickly fixed it. The entrance to the hotel is horrible, you wonder "what have I gotten myself into, but then the staff makes up for it. Also, there are no ocean front rooms, so don't bother upgrading. They do have a safe, in the room, but they don't bother to tell you that they charge you $5.00US per day to use it. Overall, it was ok, but not as good as it sounds in some of the reviews. Spend some time with Shannon, you will enjoy it. Also, visit the seaside gift shop right next door to the bar. They are great people and have water and sodas at a much better price than the bar.

Great Get Away

by TripAdvisor Member kapitalBH

I wanted a vacation that would fit my budget and a friend told me about this resort in Negril. She mentioned that it is fairly new and growing.

After reviewing the prices on the website and other information, I was sold. I booked through the hotel with no problems and had transportation waiting for me when I arrived to the airport.

Once I arrived to the hotel, there was no problem checking in and I was escorted to my room by a staff member.

The room was clean and designed to be simple. While at the beach the last thing you want in the room is to many bells and whistle to prevent you from going outside. The wood panels that were designed made for an eloquent but simple look and the bathroom brought me tranquility every morning.

The restaurant was located right in front of the beach, I must have tried everything off the menu during my stay. It was the best Jamaican food I have had in my life. The service was great and the ambiance was perfect for my vacation get away.

I met some great people from around the world at this resort and have planned to return later this year with the guest that I met along with other friends and family.

This resort is growing and has a bright future ahead. It is creating a great name for itself in the Negrel market.

Cheers, to the Palms Resort Jamaica:-)

Edward

Relaxation at the Palms

by TripAdvisor Member CaliforniaNinaBee

I actually heard about the Palms Resort in Negril, Jamaica through a friend that had previously stayed there. They gave it rave reviews therefore when I had an opportunity to visit Jamaica I was determined to check it out. Firstly, the view of the beach from my room was beyond amazing. My room was simple, clean and very refined. Well, parts of the hotel is still under construction but I was made aware of this from my friend and the staff before I even booked a room. But it had no adverse effect on my experience at the Palms. I found the staff to be very attentive and gracious. While dining in the restaurant one night (the Food was Great...and I'm picky when it comes to food) I met a large group of people that were involved in the music industry back in the States. They also were enjoying the ambiance of the hotel. All in all I WILL return to the Palms and I have referred it to friends, family and coworkers.

ruined my vacation

by TripAdvisor Member mastermind_xxl

Palms Resort is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in!!!!!!! I am not a picky person but there are basic things that every hotel needs.
I'm not even sure where to begin. First, the woman at the front desk was extremely rude. The shower pressure was very low and sometimes didn't work at all. There was one particular occasion, when I was washing my hair and the water cut off completely. I had to go to the shower by the pool side to wash the soap out of my eyes. When I complained to one of the managers the only response I was given was, "sorry we didn't think anyone was in their rooms". The only light put into the rooms were table lamps, and the bulbs were the dimmest lighting I had ever seen. We were in darkness!!!! Again, when I complained I was told this is the lighting we provide. There were holes in the wall from random drilling. The wooded floors had nails sticking out of them.There were inconsistencies about breakfast arrangements , one minute we were told breakfast was free then we were told we had to pay for it. The hotel looks nothing like their pictures.Every guest that I met agreed that this was the worst hotel they had ever stayed in. Palms Resort ruined my vacation and I personally want to warn against anyone thinking about going to this rat hole of a place. It will be the most appalling experience ever!

Adorably Relaxing!

by TripAdvisor Member FridaysLady

Overall I can appreciate the cozy setting of this little boutique hotel and ultimately enjoyed my stay there! Yes, there are some blemishes which are in fact due to the initial age of the property and the fact that is under new ownership and undergoing a complete restoration...but still, I found it to be very relaxing which was my overall expectation. The staff was very friendly and beyond accommodating for me and a friend of the bride who ended up sharing a room with me, last minute. And housekeeping was quick to help in getting me anything I needed. I was there working a wedding and it was tuff not having a phone in the room with limited cell phone access. But when calls came in for me the front area staff would simply come tell me I had a phone call. Supposedly they are working to get phones in the rooms by December. The water pressure was low some days but great on others. Basically it is a true Island boutique resort...I woke up feeling as though I was in a beach cabin each morning, which was pretty refreshing. The bathrooms are adorable with natural vented wood floors, aged concrete walls, above counter sinks and modern brush nickel faucets. I too was greeted with a cool juice drink, made of fresh fruit… as soon as I walked through the courtyard. And to my surprise that AC was more than fitting. I didn’t think it would do the job but I was soooo wrong :0) !!

The food served here is EXCELLENT!!! A fresh banana/mango fruit drink is a sure way to start the day off right. In fact, everything tasted so very fresh and was well seasoned and prepared to perfection…at just the right temperature. Its your choice on where youd like to be served too…whether beach side, or deck or in your room…they’ve got it covered. Do visit The Palms Resort in Negril…I think you’ll like it!!!

Based on some of the previous comments posted on trip advisor, I recommend that the resort do the following as soon as possible to further enhance guest’s experience: Refrain from renting out rooms that have exposed wiring or that show any signs of being unfinished. Get real numbers on the doors, no torn pieces of paper. And get matching key chains for ALL room keys that correspond with the room numbers. These little touches help to give guests a certain reassurance that you are a fully operational and organized resort. Signage along the walkway through the courtyard telling you which room numbers are where would also be helpful. Lastly, work to get phones in the rooms ASAP, for many reasons…wake up calls, assistance with luggage or when additional towels, toilet paper, etc. are needed and in the case of an emergency where the guest is unable to get to the door or walk down the stairs for help.

Beware this Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member skamui

Do not be fooled by these reviews. This hotel is horrible on almost every level. They are a bunch of lying crooks here.

Firstly, the staff at the front desk was very unhelpful and rude. They offer no information or assistance unless specifically asked for. They won't tell you when you can expect your rooms to be ready on check in. They don't tell you about the locks. They don't tell you the complimentary breakfast ends at 10:30. They don't tell you that you need tickets from the front desk to get the breakfast. The first day, me and other guests arrived after 10:30 and were told we had to buy breakfast. The second day we arrived, sat 15 minutes or more and then were told we needed vouchers (the first time we were hearing this)! I ran to the front and got mine. The girl behind me was not so lucky. She walked in right behind me and missed the 10:30 cut off! When I was leaving, I asked the lady why my bill was so high. She had the audacity to tell me "I explained that to you already".

Now let's get to the best part. This hotel is NOT under rennovation. It is under permanent rennovation. I spoke to one of my friends in Jamaica and she says "It's still under construction?!! It's been that way forever." My room and the people beside me did not have finished overhead lighting, and where there should have been wall sockets, there empty holes in the wall. In lieu of overhead lighting, they gave us two weak $5 LED lamps. I'm glad I didn't drop anything on the ground as it was impossible to see clearly at night. When I saw the gaping hole where overhead lighting SHOULD have been and power wires juting out of the wall, I went to the front desk to complain and they said, "That's how we do things here". And I haven't even gotten to the nails that were not hammered down properly in my room. (Pictures of all these things will be posted tomorrow.)

The low water pressure is a permanent thing (and it is not that way at all Negril hotels), and they even cut off the water completely two days in a row without telling us anything! We thought it was the water company, but on the second day when my wife went to wash shampoo out of her hair in the ocean pipe, they told her "We thought no one was in their rooms. We'll turn it back on."

They only have one iron that they pass around, which is not unheard of, but what is unheard of is the fact that when another guest asked for the iron, they were sent to knock on our room door 5 minutes after we had gotten it. Yes, the hotel staff was not sent to carry it to them! They were sent to accost us for it!

All of these things: the rude and unprofessional staff, the lies and excuses, the lack of communication, the purposely unfinished rooms, and the seemingly conniving behaviour over the complimentary breakfast have left me with the worst hotel experience I've EVER had. I would rather have stayed in a roach-motel for 3 days. I was SO VERY happy on the last day when I finally got vacany in the hotel 3 doors down for $100 less a night and left The Palms Resort.
The only good thing about this hotel is the kitchen's chef.

RELAXATIONS

by TripAdvisor Member lolymari

Everyone was super nice, it was a great place to stay. My husband and I found it to be the best looking hotel and with they cleanest beach area on all the beach, all other hotels had boats and other stuff around. The food was delicious make sure you try the coconut pie it as sooo good and we loved the jamaican breakfast.

Relaxing yet rough around the edges

by TripAdvisor Member mia1219

We stayed at the Palms for four nights and five days during the off-season in July. Overall, it was a relaxing vacation and I was happy to avoid the all inclusive crowd.

Highlights: Shannon, the bartender is really personable and makes wonderful drinks. The food at the hotel is really good. The beach is clear and gorgeous. The pool is small but nice.

Low Points: There really aren't any ocean front rooms so I wouldn't spend the extra money for that, the hotel was under construction and lacked some basics in the rooms(safe, mini fridge, water pressure etc.), shower was hit or miss with the water pressure. The rooms were a bit rustic but I liked the minimalist design. Music at the bar could be very loud at night when you are trying to sleep. The locals are always trying to sell things on the beach--just be firm and polite if you aren't interested.

Try Pilot's Cafe behind the hotel for a local meal. Richard runs snorkeling trips and he is always in front of the hotel. Check out the Rock House on the Cliffs for dinner.

Hope this is helpful.

We enjoyed our stay at The Palms!

by TripAdvisor Member Naomi80

A friend recommended us this hotel. They were very satisfied about it. So we booked it for two weeks to see for ourself. The Palms opened in Spring and there were still renovating. They will finish it soon. But the renovating didn't bother us. When we arrived, the manager showed us around. The room was very good, it had a good atmosphere. And for me it was important that it was very clean. The property of the hotel is so beautiful, especially Kristyl's, the restaurant of the hotel. Diner is very good, and the staff is very friendly. It has a great view over the beach and the sea. The Palms has also a bar where you can drink some good drinks and where you can chill.
We really enjoyed our stay there!

Thanks to everybody at The Palms who made are vacation so special!

"Beatiful Hotel; Relaxation at its Best"

by TripAdvisor Member HollyLiz

I first came across ThePalms Negril on tripadvisor. I had stayed at several hotels in negril before. Most of them were very substandard. I decided to give The Palms a try based on the fact that the reviews were all very positive. The funny thing is that when I came back on tripadvisor to write this review, I noticed the two very negative comments, that seemed to be related. This was shocking to me.

First of all, I was there for the ATI holiday July 31 – August 6. When I arrived at the hotel, I was greeted by the manager who was extremely hospitable throughout my whole stay. Once we checked in, we went straight to the room. It was really cozy, granted the hotel has not been completely renovated; it was still cleaner and has more style than the many hotels I’ve stayed at in Negril. We usually don’t spend that much time in the room because its JAMAICA MON!!! The beach front is impeccable. The hotel is two steps from the beautiful beach Negril has to offer. The bar drinks were so good, not to mention the bar tenders Shannon and Leroy who made my experience that much better. And the food was the best I’ve had in Jamaica. One thing I did not know was that the restaurant, Kristyl’s International Dining was open for 6 months and it is the number 1 restaurant in Jamaica. This is amazing for such a short period of time and the food and service there is truly the best. Even though the hotel was full to capacity, not to mention the many friends and family of registered guests, my stay was very relaxing just as I wanted from my vacation in Jamaica.

The style of the hotel is another plus. They have a very modern edge which most hotels in negril don’t have. Everything I needed I received maybe not on time but I did receive it. It’s really hard to come to a place like this and not have a fabulous vacation. My over all experience from staying at The Palms was great. I had so much fun there I did not leave the hotel and that’s the first time that ever happened in Jamaica. I would recommend anyone who loves Jamaica, the culture, the beach, good drinks, and number one good service and food to stay at The Palms. You will love it. Its very hard not too. If you don’t, something may be wrong with you! We had fun at The Palms and will stay there for now on when we go to Jamaica. Thank You to all the professional staff that made this experience great.

barracuda!barracuda!

Presley and a seafood lover!Presley and a seafood lover!

Noreen at LTU PubNoreen at LTU Pub

Negril - JamaicaNegril - Jamaica

rui negril

by couchcommando

iam going to the rui negril in feb08 with 9 other friends.has any one been and how did you find it ive heared some mixed reviews.any info would be gr8 thanx

by cmrsetfree

Never been there but someone that was there almost 10 years ago talked wonders.
Now you would have to make sure they kept the hotel updated. I went to the same hotel in the Bahamas that I've been 9 years ago and I wanted to die!

by ricgilbert

Rui Negril is awsome....just make sure that you wonder around the local beaches as well, thats where you will find the real people. Have fun!

by iam1wthee

Now there are two Riu's in Negril. Riu Tropical Bay has excellent food and the entertainment. It is smaller so service is more attentive. Riu Club is bigger and the landscape is prettier but the food and service there is not that great. Please note that when you book one you have access to the other.

Comments