The SPA Retreat

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 47% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Negril

Breadfruit treeBreadfruit tree

Fresh "Catch of the Day" at Presley's Seafood BarFresh "Catch of the Day" at Presley's Seafood Bar

Negril Lighthouse at duskNegril Lighthouse at dusk

Negril - JamaicaNegril - Jamaica

Is 11 days in Negril enough?

by lisa_aruliah

Hi all,

I'm planning to holiday in Negril between the 17th and 29th of May this year. I've asked someone whether I'm going for too short a holiday and I was told that 4-5 days is sufficient. If that's the case, what does one do with the rest of the days? Are the other islands safe? I've got family on Negril, but if I was to travel to other places I'd probably go by myself, is that safe for a female?

I love the outdoors and so doing as much research as I want to make the most of my time there. Any suggestions?

by lennywac

11 days will fly by in Negril. We are going may 17-25 and I think its too short. I have been to Negril many times and cannot wait to go back. We just relax and do basically nothing while we are there. If you need constant activity, then Negril might be too laid back for you.

by lisa_aruliah

Wow...thanks for all your replies...well i'm travelling from the other side of the world...Australia to be exact....and although i love adventure stuff (snorkeling, hiking etc) i would love sitting on a lounge by the sea. Thanks all.

by iam1wthee

For me 11 days is a little long, but too each his own.
I felt very safe in Negril and would not worry about venturing out alone there. If you plan to go to Montego Bay then I think you should go with someone. The reason is Montego bay has too many people on the street who want to hassle you.

Travel Tips for Negril

Don't forget the mosquito repellent!!!

by laustic

Believe the hype about the mosquitos! I am from Texas and we have mosquitos, but they are NOTHING compared to the MONSTER Jamaican mossquitos. They are HUGE! They aren't a huge problem during the day while you're on the beach and in the water, but watch out for night time. You can purchase when you get there, but you will pay a bit more.

ROYAL PALM RESERVE

by caribluver

Built to be a major tourist attraction this is a real treat for nature lovers with all it's wildlife, even Tarpon in the pool by the entrance.
Located a few miles along the Sav-La-Mar road, down a rough track (surprise) that seems to lead nowhere and there you are, an extremely well laid out facility.
The boardwalks make walking easy for all and the frequent seats allow you to stop and take it all in.
There's an observation tower that gives stunning views over the Morass to hills

Despite the size of the place if it hadn't been for House of Black we'd never have found it .....thanks Mon, nice driving

JERK CHICKEN

by RudoElCojonudo

I would say that the jerk chicken is the jamaican official food. You'll find street vendors selling jerk chicken all aroud the insland.
They often cook it in methalic barrells that don't seem very clean and healthy, but belive me, once you try it you are not able to stop!!
They serve the chicken with BBQ sauce and some bread.
It's better if a jamaican asks it for you (if you are tourit) because there are two prices:
1-. Tourist price, about 250j$.
2-. Jamaican price, about 100j$.

Booby Cay

by melissacottrill

My sister and I took a glass bottom boat to Booby Cay. The movie 20,000 leauges under the sea was filmed here. The view of the beach and ocean were wonderful, and the island itself was enchanting. Though I was a little disappointed by the trash on the island it was still worthwhile. We hiked part of the island, saw where the locals hang out, and I found a sea urchin to bring home. A great time!

Katamaran

by solopes

A trip along the coast, with good music and cool drinks, was our apperitive to some minutes snorkelling in Pirate's Cove. I read that it is expensive (we were in all-inclusive basis), but... what is not expensive in Jamaica to foreigners?

We took it facing Margaritaville but don't know how and where to book it.

Comments