Sandals Whitehouse European Village & Spa
Other reviewers do a wonderful job at explaining Whitehouse.. I hope the easy to read tips can help future couples have a great time!
- No problems at all with customs, easy. Will have a form to fill out on the plane ride in but no big deal. Try and check as much stuff as possible because customs lines are long, and you don't want to have a lot of stuff on you for the wait. There will be another line after you get your checked bags, but not as long.
- Pack in your checked luggage some hard liquor to mix with soda/juice you can purchase at the Montego Bay Airport. It will make your 90 minute drive in very enjoyable (what potholes? - LOL)
- Use the restroom in the Sandal's Lounge before you leave
- Use restroom at Rumba rest stop, a little under halfway to resort.
- Rumba rest stop has souvenirs a little cheaper than at resort, so do your shopping there before or after
- Whitehouse is the fishing capital of Jamaica; you will see lots of local fisherman, and shrimpers on your way and at resort.
- Tip your driver (he had some work avoiding potholes, slowing down for bad spots, and entertaining or answering questions. They don't work for Sandal's
- Ask where the restroom is as soon as you arrive- you will take about 15 minutes checking in
- Feel free to upgrade room during check-in (we upgraded from Deluxe to Concierge, then asked to see Butler Suite and upgraded again - well worth it!)
- Bring white clothes for White Night (every Wednesday night)
- Have roaming photographers take lots of pics for you to choose from later... you don't have to buy them, but they have quotas for amount to take each day. At the very least, you will have a wide selection to choose from to buy at the end of your trip.
- On Friday's the resort welcomes local craftsmen to sell their goods on the resort grounds. You can haggle your way to a good deal. They can smell a sucker a mile away so don't back down on a lower price. Or say you will pay the price they are asking if they throw something extra in. You have the power here. Wood carvings can be personalized while you wait
- ANYTHING you want, just ask... the staff go out of their way to make it a romantic and memorable trip. If there is a want or concern just raise it and they take extra efforts to make it happen.
- Carry with you a "no worries' attitude... Jamaicans are not known for being prompt. 10:00 departure means everyone begins showing up at 10:00. no worries! just have fun.
- The rooms have i-pod/i-phone docs... it was fun jamming to music while we got ready.
- Opt for the butler suite - well worth the money. Drinks and snacks bought to you while relaxing on the beach, reservations made for you at restaurants for dinner, order room service off the menu anytime, personal phone to call butler for any need from 7am-10pm, could personalize the liquor selections we had in our full-size in room bar. Treated like royalty!
- The staff are all absolutely AMAZING... our butler Kamar (great!) told us all persons working there had to go through extensive background screenings and it was very competitive to get in (imagine 800 Jamaican applicants for 4 open jobs). So appreciate the fact that you are surrounded by the cream of the crop Jamaicans working there.
- Bring your own drink bottles/thermoses - bartenders will fill them up for you with whatever you like and will allow you less trips back and forth to the bar. Also, if you have a deluxe room (without a bar, like the concierge or butler suites) you can take pure alcohol back to your room to make your own mixes.
- Bring your own Margarita mix if that is your drink of choice, the bars at the resort have a time making them - there is no mixer or sweet/sour available. They try to make a good margarita with tequila, triple sec, and lime juice, but it is an epic fail! Gold star for trying!
- Enjoy breakfast on your patio some mornings.. it is a great way to being your day looking at paradise.
- Don't be afraid to ask bartenders to add something to your drink to make it taste better - all the drinks they make are STRONG, so have them add to it if it proves too much.
- Cafe de Paris is a must! Ask for a to-go treat bag when you are leaving resort for excursions or trip back to airport!
- When you order dinner don't be afraid to order 2-3 things off the menu. My husband has 2 filets at Eleanor’s, I had the Salmon and Penne at Giuseppe’s, we ordered all the desserts at Neptune’s. No regrets on not being able to taste something that looked good to you! it is all included!
- Bring Tylenol for those mornings after drinking - nuff said!
- Beach is friendly to European travelers, don't mind women being topless, so enjoy!
- No problem with Sand fleas at all! We bought Off with 98% deet but never opened it.
- They spray for sand fleas a little after midnight and again before sunrise; in case you are having a romantic beach rendezvous on the beach under the stars at that time. If you hear a motor, then get outta there, the workers are not wearing gas masks for nothing!
- The locals don't call them starfish because they don't swim - the Sea Stars are very abundant, but lie on the ocean floor... We found 5 in a few minutes just lying on the sand bottom, you have to go down and bring them up, but their beauty is well worth it! Photo Op!
- Crabs are abundant too, don't come out till after sunset for the most part. And are very friendly, they pose for pictures!
- Pete moss grows in the water - totally safe. But you will notice it.
- We opted for a couples massage in a cabana on the beach - and think we were the only ones all week that did so. This is not offered on the "menu" of spa services, but we wanted it and they accommodated. We felt like royalty as other couples remarked as they strolled by the beach cabana seeing us getting our rub-downs. It was awesome and soooo relaxing! Goes back to if you want it, just ask and they will make it happen!
- Bring a swimsuit to the Spa as they have a hot and cold bath available in the outside courtyard, not a lot of folks utilized this.
- They also have steam rooms and saunas available.
- Schedule water sports at the Resort for early in the day... if there is wind or rain in the afternoons, they will cancel activities. Also, they fill up quick so try to get them scheduled early in your trip.
- Bring water shoes and sunscreen, they are available for purchase at Resort but you will have to pay for the convenience.
- The rooms have safes - use them, especially on off-resort excursions. The staff doesn’t tell you to leave your expensive jewelry at the resort when you leave for excursions for no reason.
- If you are brave on off-Resort excursions, ask your bus-driver to stop to sample the local's fare - they sell shrimp, fish, and other fresh foods on the side of the road... I say brave because there is a chance it will revisit you if you are not used to eating foods outside the country.
- YS Falls is like a resort in itself, you can go there to eat, drink and relax in the pool, or you can pay for activities like river tubing or zip line. Taking pics while in the falls is a must! And you can also play on the rope swings.
- The Black River tour is for those less active, very informative but kind of slow. We were fortunate to have a tour guide who made it a little exciting by kissing crocodiles, but other than that, this was more like a sightseeing tour.
- The Appleton Rum Tour was great - just go! At the end of tour you have an open bar to taste like 22 different flavors of rum.
- Bring tip money for the excursions.
- You learn ALOT from the tour guides - about real Jamaican life. And they are open to questions. You will learn about housing, industry, infrastructure, laws, education, etc.
Hope this review was helpful to those going soon! Enjoy your trip and NO WORRIES MON!
Great property on the south side of the island
The property was very well kept, rooms were clean and spacious and staff was friendly. A very large resort but a long drive across the mountains to get there. The van stopped about halfway through the nearly 2-hour drive to allow everyone to stretch their legs at a small watering hole. Massive swimming pool and very long beach area. Nothing to do off the resort, however, so if you're headed here plan to stay on resort. As with most properties on Jamaica it's a good idea to bring some spritz-on Deep Woods Off. It's expensive at the resort and you can never tell whether you're going to need it or not. Mosquitoes can be bad at times and other times nonexistent.
Unique Quality: Massive main pool and very large beach area. Since you're away from populated areas there are beautiful clear skies at night to see the stars. I'd go back here again.
Nearby Sandals Whitehouse European Village & Spa
Sandals Whitehouse European Village & Spa
We've found that other people looking for this hotel also know it by these names:
- Whitehouse Sandals
- Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica
- Sandals Whitehouse European Village Hotel Whitehouse
Address: Westmoreland, Savanna La Mar, Whitehouse, Jamaica, Caribbean
Amenities at Sandals Whitehouse European Village & Spa
- Swimming Pool
- Wheelchair Accessible
- Room Service
- Fitness Center
- Free Parking
- Business Services
- Continental Breakfast
- Shuttle Service
- Bar / Lounge
Whitehouse Travel Forum
Need advice about Whitehouse, Jamaica? Visit the Travel Forum for Whitehouse and ask our Answer Gurus.