4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Goto LakeGoto Lake

Goto LakeGoto Lake

Colorful KralendijkColorful Kralendijk

Colorful KralendijkColorful Kralendijk

what to do on Bonaire for 2-3 weeks?

by Boleslav

I am trying to decide whether to spend 2 weeks or 3 weeks on Bonaire. We are only snorkelers and fairly active (and are not into the shopping), so I am trying to get a feel for what else can we do there to fill our time and not to feel "well, we did this already". thank you for any pointers.

by Potato-Brigade

Off hand I´d say that snorkling and scuba diving is a full-time thing on Bonaire! Breakfast - in the water - lunch - back in the water - dinner and disco - to bed!

by GrumpyDiver

I am looking at a one-week or 10-day stay there. Bonaire seems to be directed at snorkeling and shore diving, with a bit of touring around. People I've spoken to who have been there are typically divers with nothing else but diving on their minds, so I suspect there is not much else to do.

by Boleslav

thanks guys appreciate the replies

by hubert999

I do not know if you already made the trip but if you got the feeling that 2 to 3 weeks is too much for Bonaire (for me it is) I would suggest combining it with Curacao. Snorkling is excellent in curacao and besides that the island is bigger than bonaire and has some more activities you cna do besides the beaches

by heijbroek

Check out my tip for Bonaire Seaview Apartment - http://www.bonaireseaviewapartments.com/

Describes a trip to Bonaire...there's loads to do - I would say go for 3 weeks!

If you're looking for transport - family friends run http://www.bonairerentacar.com/
Thats a bias tip but I know they are great. :)

by Boleslav

thank you for the idea, will check them out!

Travel Tips for Bonaire

Go snorkeling or SCUBA diving!...

by jessicadf

Go snorkeling or SCUBA diving! What's gorgeous about the island is the fact that it's got a fringing reef, and the waters are all protected as a marine sanctuary. This means that you jump off any pier or wade in at any beach, and the reef is *right there*, with an amazing array of sea life. The weather is always warm and humid, the water is always like a big, blue bath, and the pace is easy and relaxed. All in all, I can see why my friend's moved there. :) Bravo!

This photo courtesy of http://www.bonair webcams.com/BonaireReefCamImages.html.

Nature Permit

by flynboxes

If you want to dive or snorkel in Bonaire there is a $10 permit that they ask you to buy in town..can be bought in any of the many local dive shops. The funds in theory are to support the nature preserves around the island. Considering what I saw on Bonaire..the $10 was well worth it.
You will need to carry the permit with you if you go diving or snorkeling..we however were never checked on the water taxi so I suspect enforcement is more or less on the honor system. Snorkeling.

Bonairean Outback

by bijo69

Bonaire is an arid island, most of it is covered with cacti and other plants adapted to grow in such a climate. On the island you still will find wild donkeys and Iguanas.
Salt is still produced on the island and you often find flamingos there.

Shore Diving Galore

by diver-x

We didn't bother to do any boat dives on Bonaire. There is plenty of shore diving that's just as good. In fact, unless the boat goes to Klein Bonaire, they'll probably take you to a shore diving spot anyway. Most resorts have drive-thru tank swaps & fills. Our resort had some rinse tanks & a faucet at the drive thru so we could dip our gear in fresh water before we took lunch. That was a nice touch. I miss my engagement ring the most! I lost it at the Andrea II dive site. Please see my "Dive sites: Andrea I & Andrea II" in Must See Activities for more info. If you find it, please have a heart and let me know! Thanks!

Cruise information

by Dabs

One of the best places for information on what to do in various ports is
Cruise Critic. The Cruise Critic Bonaire forum board was very useful in planning shore excursions, whether the ones offered by the ship or independent, and there is also Bonaire port information with hints on where to go, what to do, where the ships dock, where to eat and how to get around.

To find out how many other cruise ships will be in town along with you, check
Cruisett.com. The more ships in town, the more competition for independent guides and tours and the more crowded the main attractions will be.

Comments