3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Booking.com Travelocity Tingo.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• dustmon's Profile Photo

Naturist Paradise soon to change

Unique Quality: Naturist, great for birdwatching!

More about Sorobon Beach Resort

Naturist Paradise soon to change

by dustmon about Sorobon

I stayed here a couple of years ago when doing research on Naturist hotels in the Caribbean and enjoyed myself thoroughly! I have read that the management has changed and this is the last year it will be Naturist, so if this is your thing, you had better hurry and go this year! There is alot to do on the Island, one of which is to see one of only 4 breeding sites for the Pink Flamingo in the world! There are numerous dive sites all along the coast of this small Island, and there are some old Slave Huts on the Southern part of Bonaire which are really eerie looking in the dusk of sunset....Check them out! It is pretty necessary to get a car to get around, and if you are going to the Washington Slagbaai National Park, you need to have a pickup truck, at least. The road is very rocky and unlevel, so go slow and be careful! Take lots of sunscreen and drink lots of water if you are going to be in the sun for the day. There is not much ground water on Bonaire, and there birds called bananaquits, or sugarbirds, that if you put out a little clear dish of water on your porch or balcony, they will come and take a little bath, and drink! Also put a dish of sugar out and they will eat that, too! Very pretty golden birds--great for photographers. The beach at Sorobon is fine, though a little small and the swimming in the bay is very easy--it is only maybe 5 feet deep at its deepest. A windsurfing school is next door--textile only, tho... Naturist, great for birdwatching!

Bring a visit to Lac Bay at...

by Mirellaboer

Bring a visit to Lac Bay at the side from Sorobon. There is a true Surfers Paradise. The sphere is very relaxed and there is some wind! (also very nice when it's a hot day).
And on the other side of the bay there you can find the big shells.

Lac Bay: Sorobon Beach

by ainsleigh

Lac Bay is a breezy, sparkling blue bite out of Bonaire's Southeast coast. There are a few beautiful sections of beach surrounded by lush plant life, including the mangrove forest. The salty wind whips everything around and the ocean is crystal blue. It was definitely one of my favorite places in Bonaire.

Sorobon beach, at the South side of the bay is beautiful. It's a popular spot for windsurfing, and it was entertaining to watch all the tricks and wipeouts. It looked like so much fun I wish I had given it a try. There were two places I could see that rented windsurfing equipment and provided lessons; Jibe City and Bonaire Windsurf Place.

Snorkeling trip with the best!

by dustmon

Ulf and Dedrie Pedersen captain the Woodwind sailing vessel and know all about the hundreds of different places to dive or snorkel around the Island. I went on a nude sail while staying at the Sorobon Resort (which is going non-nudist soon) and both Ulf and Dedrie were naked with us, having a blast! While Dedrie led us around on our snorkeling tour, Ulf came up with some delicious snacks for us when we returned to the ship. A thoroughly enjoyable afternoon snorkel trip and either swimsuits or not, Woodwind should be considered for your trip!

You don't have to be a diver to enjoy Bonaire

by ChrisSheena

"Getting there"

The island of Bonaire (the B of the ABC islands - Aruba and Curacao being the other two) lies 75 miles off the coast of Venezuela and is a scuba divers pradise. Sheena and I visited in July 2008 - we are not divers but snorkelled and had a great time seeing some of the underwater splendour.
There are direct flights to Bonaire from Atlanta and Amsterdam - book early as they do fill up quickly.
Weather in July was probably the same as every other day - around 80F with a wonderful, steady breeze stopping you from frying. We stayed at Sorobon in ths south - about a 15 minute drive from the airport. The locals are incredibly friendly - the pace of life is relaxed - and everyone is happy !

"Getting around and things to see"

we did not hire a car until we had an opportunity to find out what else there was to do on the island. We hired a taxi driver (call for Erich !) who gave us a 3 hr tour of the island for $100. Well worth doing as he pointed out things we would never have found. Then we hired a car and went back to see (a) the salt pans (b) dutch windmills (c) had a beer with the locals in Rincon (d) saw wonderful colourful birds (e) visited the slave huts (f) watched the wild donkeys strolling and of course (g) admired the many flamingos and resident pelicans. Then back to the beach for more sun and snorkelling.

"Snorkelling"

There are many snorkelling and dive sites in Bonaire but not being knowledgeable about the tides etc. we stuck to the lagoon at Sorobon. This is a 3 ft deep warm lagoon protected from the sea by a coral reef which is teeming with fish. Probably nothing compared to what you might see diving but for the occasional snorkeller, this was just fine. Take the boat (or if you're energetic canoe) to Klein Bonaire - there were only 5 of us and we had the whole island to ourselves. There is no shelter so take water, sun screen and a hat. The snorkelling here is wonderful.

The Beach at SorobonThe Beach at Sorobon

Sorobon Beach at Lac BaySorobon Beach at Lac Bay

Sorobon Beach, Lac Bay, BonaireSorobon Beach, Lac Bay, Bonaire

Salt FlatsSalt Flats

Intro To Scuba Course

by ldilauro

Hello

I will be in Bonaire in 4 weeks and would like to dive. Can anyone recommend a Dive Shop that would have an Intro Course that would allow me to dive with an instructor multiple times - not just the day I take the course ?? My husband is already certified so he would be joining my instructor led dives too.

Thanks alot.
Lori

RE: Intro To Scuba Course

by diver-x

The shop at Buddy Dive Resort is probably your best bet. We stayed next door at Lions Dive, which I think has gone out of business (?) and spent a lot of time at Buddy's. I found the staff to be quite friendly and helpful. We didn't take any courses there, but I know they have an excellent reputation in the dive community. You can take the one-day course or the full Open Water Certification course and they will take you out on guided dives if you want too. The reef at Buddy's is great too! See the web site at:
I'm so jealous! The diving in Bonaire is awesome! I'm sure you and your husband will have a wonderful time!

Intro To Scuba Course

by ldilauro

THANKS Diver-X !

I checked out the website and Buddy Dive Resort sounds like it will fit the bill.

Discover Scuba Diving
1/2 day introduction to scuba diving. Includes instruction, 1 dive and use of all required equipment. Min. age 10 years. $79.00

Additional Discover Scuba Dives
Enjoy additional ocean dives guided by a dive professional. Includes Divemaster Guide, 1 dive and use of all required equipment. $45.00

I'll be sure to post my underwater photos when I get back.

Lori

RE: RE: Intro To Scuba Course

by diver-x

Say HI to the tarpon for me! Try to do a night dive at Buddy's if you can. While we were there, there were 2 huge resident tarpon on the reef who took great pleasure in buzzing the night divers at high speed! At first it was a little unnerving, but once we got used to them, it was like going out for a walk with a couple of playful dogs! You see a bunch of stuff at night that you might not see during the day. If you're not sure or if Buddy's won't take you out at night, you can easily snorkel too & still lots to see. Have fun & send a note when you post your pics!
Sharon