Curaçao Hotels

Our Members Say

• steedappeal profile photo steedappeal
  • Reviews: 285

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Wave Hotel: The tide is rising here...

I settled on the Wave since I wanted to be able to walk around the main downtown of Willemstad. Upon arrving at the hotel, I started to have second thoughts about staying here since it shared the property with a really run-down hotel called the Pelikaan. I started to uncomfortably remember my cab driver's warning about not wandering around the surrounding residential area at night. I even told them at Reception that I might shorten my stay.

My spirits brightened when I saw the my room (#62). It was very fresh and clean looking with a nice flat sceen TV. There is key card access to not only the room but also the entry door of the hallway. Basically, the owners are transforming the bare bones Pelikaan into the budget chic Wave, gradually. This is a very sound concept given the affordable $90.95 per night price in high season. I stayed here my entire 7 nights

At the moment, I would recommed this hotel for an independent traveller or couple on a budget looking for a central location. I would not recommend for a solo woman since the walk to and from the town is a little unsavoury looking, especially at night. In that case, I would recommend the Howard Johnsons around the corner and on the main square. Also, you can never tell who is the bellman/ security person at night due since they don't often wear a uniform (there always seemed to be a mixed bag of people hanging out near the casino entrance). Overall, I was never menaced or harassed by anyone, day or night; it's more a matter that its a rough-around-the-edges looking neighborhood.

The rooms are the best part of this hotel. Mine was clean, fresh and free of any mosquitos (a small luxury that my friend at the Kura Hulunda Hotel, which is across the street, didn't enjoy. There is a very useful safe as well as an excellent flatscreen TV that had BBC News and other international channels, including NOS Dutch broadcasting service. The free WiFi worked very well during my entire stay as did the excellent air conditioning. There was no closet other than a few wall hangers but there is plenty of drawer space. Strangely, the bathrooms are not as immaculate as the rooms (I was informed they are renovating those, too). The water pressure was fine and I had enough hot water. There was one Sunday when they forgot? about cleaning my room but no big deal. There are plans to have a small pool which is a good idea. Walls are a bit thin but I only noticed on the weekends when the crowd was a bit livelier. The hotel's casino is on the downmarket side so not worth a visit.

It wasn't until my last day that I even knew there was a funky, little hotel cafe, located on the Breedestraat side.

The best person at the Front Desk desk is Supervisor Rosely Dalnoot. She was very responsive to my requests and concerns and very professional. She is closely watching her staff, some of whom are in hotel training. My wake-up call on the day of my flight came on time as did the airport taxi. There is NO airport pickup and drop off is only available at certain peak times.

The Manager, Liselotte Bos, is an experienced hotel professional and very hands-on with repositioning this property. It will just take some time.

• Related to: Business Travel, Budget Travel, Singles
  • Written February 3, 2013

• Rogier73 profile photo Rogier73

Villa Carpe Diem Curacao: Curacao's Best private villa

We stayed for two weeks in Villa Carpe Diem Curacao with our parents and our children.
We loved the location, the tropical garden and the swimmingpools.
The accomodaton was clean and the service was great!

Great villa with private pool on walking distance from the beach.
Beautiful tropical garden with flowers, palm trees an lot's of birds.
Exellent service from the manager.

• Related to: Water Sports, Family Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written November 19, 2012

• cckbp7 profile photo cckbp7
  • Reviews: 182

Lagun Blou Ocean Resort: Great condo in the perfect location

These condos offer a balcony view of the Sea or lagoon (each incredible). They are located near all the best beaches & natural sites (Shete Boka, Watamula, St. Chistoffel Natl Park). Reasonable rates through the condo itself or a private owner. Check HomeAway or VRBO.com for options.

• Related to: Beaches, Diving and Snorkeling, Family Travel
  • Written March 22, 2012
Tip Photo

• henryveeris profile photo henryveeris

Nos Krusero-Apartments: Great vacation Spot at Playa Kalki, West Point

For sure there are Lot's of places large and small hotels, apartments, etc. where you can stay. There are beaches in the City, but far greater beaches outside the City of Willemstad. You need to rent a car to enjoy the beaches and the island. There are good places where you can hang out at night. If you love the nightlife.You asked for a summer vacation and no one ever visited this site to reply to you. If you are still interested for your next vacation, please let me know. The Curacao Tourism site is at: www.curacao.com
Henry Veeris, Journalist.
Specialized in Tourism & Aviation.

Well, the South Western end of the island of Curacao is rapidly changing in a Top vacation location, close to beaches and various new accommodations. Scuba diving is great at this new spot, Known as Playa Kalki or West Point. Lodging ared available at; www.kurahulandalodge.com, www.noskrusero-apartments.com, www.allwestcuracao.com and for scuba diving: www.oceanencounterswest.com
Attractions in Curacao: www.austrichfarm.com, www.curacao-seaquarium.com. Please visit the curacao Tourism site; www.curacao.com

We look forward to see more visi8tors and vacationers in Curacao. We are only a 15 minutes
flights from the island of Aruba.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Family Travel, Diving and Snorkeling, Beaches
  • Written November 20, 2010

• mauriceh profile photo mauriceh

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Villa Tropical: Big, Private, but a little dodgy

Cheaper than hotels, but a fairly poor location and so-so maintenance and quality.

1) This is a place you go to with a family or larger group.
2) One needs to rent a car for your stay, or this location is totally useless.
It is a few kilometres to any beaches.
Punta (Downtown Willemstad tourist area) is over 5km away.
There are few cabs, and bus transit is fairly minimal.
The closest beaches are at the Sea Aquarium and Jan Thiel, both of which are about 4km away.
3) This is not so good for larger group of adults, as 4 of the 5 bedrooms are very small.
Only the master bedroom is an "adult" bedroom.
While there are beds for 10, they are all singles.
If you are traveling as 2 adults with 2 to 4 children or teens this could be a good choice.
I suppose if the group was all adults who are into partying it might be a pretty good place,
as one basically never sees the neighbours.
4) The electrical power usage allowance and damage deposit ( as has been reported by
others) WILL be a problem. Being aware in advance we watched this closely.
There is no way one may stay within the allocation if you use ANY air conditioning.
5) For those who are trying to find this place on a map, it is the Salina district, on a corner lot, on the intersection of Anasaweg and Carawaraweg, 3 blocks south of Caracasbaaiweg.
The address is 14 Anasaweg.
6) Privacy is better than hotels or other more commercial accommodation.

More explanation on the electricity situation:
The aircon units are separate in the bedrooms. We used them for about 2 hours each evening at bedtime. We set them to 25C (77F).
We did no cooking on the electric stove top, only the gas.
We did not use the clothes dryer.
We did not use the dishwasher.

Even with these measures, we used about double the power allocated, adn we paid a surcharge of about $125 fir electricity.
If we had not been aware of this, we would likely have used a lot more power.

Amenities:
The kitchen and rooms are reasonably well equipped.
While there is a decent set of cookware, and items for eating, one must also be prepared to buy any and all consumables.
That means toilet paper, food, cooking staples, cleaning substances, etc.
The kitchen has a fairly good gas top and a 2 element electric top.
There is a dishwasher that is broken down, a microwave and coffee maker that works, and the usual things such as a toaster, etc.
There is a clothes washer and dryer, and they are fairy decent quality.
There is a clothesline tree in the back yard, so drying was no problem.

Furnishings are adequate but limited.
However there are 3 separate dining tables! One that is in a converted car parking space,
that seats 10!
But no couches or comfortable chairs..

Cleaning and maintenance was minimal.
We stayed for 2 weeks. They came and cleaned once.

Internet: There is a DSL connection and modem provided. No WIFI.
The speed of the service is quite slow.

Speaking of TV, there is a satellite receiver and a 29" tube TV and a DVD player.
the channels available are mostly US and S.American networks.
Do not expect to keep up with your favourite series and you should likely be fine.
It is suitable for keeping some kids entertained in the evenings when there is little else to do.

Yard maintenance:
Almost non-existent. There are fallen branches and foliage everywhere, and it is very messy.
As the island is quite dry, watering is needed to maintain a garden,
and as that costs money, one may easily surmise that is not happening!

Insects and pests:
When we first arrived we were greeted by many singing birds, and in the yard friendly geckos and lizards.
We also had many very large cockroaches in the house.
Over the first couple of days I was able to hunt them all down.
However, within those couple of days the children were a bit scared to use a bathroom!
The one thing that was sorely missed is screens on the windows.
Curacao is blessed with some really nice steady breezes, and it should have been really a
pleasure to open all the windows and let the wind cool the house.
Unfortunately you will see I said "should have".
In reality the mosquitos are quite aggressive, and if one is to pass a night without waking up
covered in bites and welts, it pays to keep the windows and doors all closed and make sure
the mosquitos do not enter. So much for the breezes.
There are no screens anywhere on windows and doors.
And there are no mosquito nets in the bedrooms.

Bed bugs - One of the smaller bedrooms had the beds infested with bed bugs.
When our 9 year old woke one morning, she was covered in itchy, red, swollen bites.
I inspected her bedding and found bed bugs on the folds of the mattress seams.
I went to a local pet store, and purchased some pet insect spray, and stripped the beds and
everything else in that room. After that, and freshly washed bedding, the bugs no longer bit
our little girl.
When I brought it up with the property manager, he informed me he had never heard of
bedbugs
I could tell he thought I was making this up!

Swimming Pool
This is one bright spot in the picture. Clean, well maintained and very kid-friendly.
Just out the gate from the converted car park.
There are several lounge chairs, a picnic table, and a Weber charcoal barbecue.
There is also a big comfy hammock, but as birds perch and nest in the tree over it,
this is covered in bird droppings.. Pity.

Security:
There is a typical alarm system. It is mostly useless. Here is why:
It does not work with windows open. At night one cannot set the alarms unless you lock all the
windows. Which prevents any cooling and ventilation except air conditioning. When you go out
you have to lock everything to set the alarm, which means one comes home to a hotbox later
on.

The alarm system went off spontaneously while we were home.
We had no number for the security company, so the first time was a pretty tense affair as they came running up to the door, looking severe and military. Lucky for us we are travelling with 3 kids, so they recognized us as no threat immediately.

The car parking area is accessed through powered double gates. There is a remote control provided for this. Unfortunately, while we were there one of the 2 gates broke down, so we had to manually get out and push it each time we came and went.

Privacy:
The neighbours are very unobtrusive. We did not see or hear them during our stay. The yard is fenced and quite private.

Noise:
The property is on a fairly busy street and there is quite a bit of traffic noise.
The neighbours have dogs, and these tend to bark frequently and loudly. They are big dogs.

Water supply
There is very little water pressure. As a result things like washing dishes, for example,
is a bit tricky.
The water supply failed for most of a day. The maintenance trucks were to be seen fixing this.
When the water worked again it was rusty and dirty for a day.

Local restaurants and bars:
There are very few close by. Those that are around are mostly local Papiementu places,
and not so "tourist family friendly".
The closest thing to a local family restaurant we found was a bar and grill called Larrys Place.
It is about 2 km from the house.
While it looks much like the typical American restaurant, we went there for lunch once,
and the staff were totally clueless.
One meal was supposed to come with corn on the cob: No corn.
One diner asked for a side salad. When the meal was served there was no salad,
and when we enquired we were told they had no salad.
One meal was a pasta and shrimp dish. It was ordered by our young teenage girl.
She complained, and, at first, my wife and I thought she was just being fussy,
which is not terribly unusual.
When my wife looked at it, she noticed a smell: The shrimp were completely bad,
and smelled rotten!
We left rather immediately, and after my family was out of the door,
I brought this to the attention of the staff, who basically did not really care about it.

There is a supermarket a few blocks away, and it is fairly good.

There are pharmacies, gasoline/petrol stations and other similar amenities stores within a few blocks.

In summary:
This is a reasonably comfortable house, in a decent, but not luxurious neighbourhood.
Noise is an issue, due to it being on a fairly busy street.
The management do a fairly good job, but tend to respond more to complaints than to pro-actively deal with problems.
If one is travelling with 4 to 8 people, it may be a better or more economical solution that resort hotel rooms.

Big
Private
Good pool
Suitable for up to 8 guests.
Less costly than 3 hotel rooms

• Related to: Beaches, Diving and Snorkeling, Family Travel
  • Written April 11, 2010

• Caribbeancribs profile photo Caribbeancribs

Flor di Flamboyan: Curacao, Caribbean Cribs Company

Caribbean Cribs Company rented us a studio apartment in the Saliña district. This is a district wich is close to the center of the capital Willemstad.
The accommodation is for 2 persons and is very clean and confy.
This was the least expensive of them all, but they do offer way more accommodations all over the island in all category of prices and capacity. They have studio apartments, apartments, houses and villas.

On Curacao you will find lots of hidden beaches to go to and there is all kind of activities to do:
Hiking, scuba diving, snorkeling, horseback riding, windsurfing, yetski, buggy tours, museums, really nice old and colonial architecture, festivals (carnaval in February and fireworks in December), aquarium, dolphin swimming, Oistrich farm, sailing, mountain biking, kayaking, etc.

It is close to the center of the capital.
Each studio apartment (4) has it's own parking spot.
All the needed furniture is there, a king size bed, 2 stools, a sitting spot with 2 chairs, a table and 2 chairs on the terrace, a fully equiped kitchen.
The accommodation has a big garden, parking places, is located in a safe area, has a terrace, air conditioning, refrigerator, oven, 4 cooking pits, bathroom with shower, a small bar, and is close to several restaurants and a bus stop.
Very friendly managers.
Your sheets and towels are being cleaned once a week.
A very good price for this kind of accommodation.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Arts and Culture, Beaches
  • Written January 10, 2008

Bed room

• IngaRita profile photo IngaRita
  • Reviews: 49

Limestone Holiday Resort: Affordable waterfront hide away

I first heard about Limestone from reading someone else's tip. I figured what the hell, sounds like a nice place and it was perfect. Staying here made me wonder why anyone would want to stay anywhere else and pay so much more. There are 8 cottages and a studio behind one of the cottages. Each cottage has a walkout area to eat with a table and chairs and water view. Limestone is not within walking distance to sights but you can also rent a car from Limestone that is extremely affordable. The resort is on the small side but there are lush trees around and coconut trees so it feels like its hidden away. Each cottage and studio has a kitchen. The resort has no kitchen so you are on your own. Limestone is located on a bay so the beach looks onto the bay and a small marina. In the distance is a Limestone quarry. There is a kayak shed on the beach loading with kayaks for you to use. There are lots of lounge chairs and hammocks all around the resort. It also seems like a great place for children. Many people swim in the bay too.
Sylvia and her husband are the proprietors. Her husband was out of town. Sylvia was awesome. She gave me lots of good tips on things to do and the best beaches. She is Cuban with lots of passion.
From their website:
It is situated in one of the nicest residential areas of Curacao, on a peninsula with waterfront all around, panoramic views of the Spanish Water & Caracas bay, Jan Sofat villas, sailing boats and old plantation houses. It is a little hideaway, so quiet, you'll hear all kinds of birds twitter. The sea breeze whispers in the palm-trees and makes Limestone actually cooler than the rest of Curaçao. While you dream away in a hand-woven hammock, you feel you are in a world of your own, so private, most people don't even know it exists, a piece of paradise surrounded by nature. It is an ideal location to rejuvenate, relax and read a book. Yet if you like to go out, you are only a few minutes away of all action.

Here are some great things about Limestone:
- Sylvia- you always want a local telling you the best things to see and do and here she is!
- There's free WiFi
- Limestone is very inexpensive
- Convenient and cheep car rental, $45 (cars are small 4-doors, but perfect for the island. Manual or automatic, air conditioner and radio/tape deck or cd)
- After a long day out come back to Limestone and go for a swim in the bay, the perfect way to end a day and watch the sunset.
- Free use of kayaks
- Free use of snorkel gear
- Free use of chair, umbrella, cooler
- Cottages with water-view, kitchens, walkout dinner areas
- Limestone is located very near a restaurant called the Boathouse (I didn't go there)

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written April 29, 2007

View down to the beach

• bumpkinz profile photo bumpkinz
  • Reviews: 6

Limestone Resort: An intimate resort on a quiet bay

If you love the big all inclusive fancy resorts, this is not the place for you. If you like quiet, intimate accomodations with great views this is definitely the place for you. They have approximately 8 rooms/cottages. All have their own kitchens, baths and great views from fairly private porchs. All rooms have A/C,but you are asked to use it minimally as it is very expensive. We used it only at night as did most of the other guests. During the day with all doors and windows open the temperature was quite pleasant as Curacao always has a breeze. The owners main house has no A/C at all. Towels and sheets were changed once or twice during our stay. They have a washer and clothesline that you can use. This place is not for the high maintenance traveler, but if you want to meet your neighbor and drink a beer on your own private beach or patio - this is the place for you. While not luxurious, Limestone has everything you need.

Limestone resort is maintained very well and the dense landscaping along with multi level cottage and walkways makes for a true tropical feel. The resort is located on a small harbor with a small marina just across the way. Boat traffic however, is non exsistent. They have a small lagoon for swimming and a great beach area with plenty of room of lounging. All rooms open out to the beach area. Just a short walk down the street is the local bar/eatery - Sarifundis. It was run and patronized by mostly Dutch folks. The establishment is 1/2 on a dock and 1/2 on a floating raft. Happy hour finds more dinghies tied up to the place than you can count. As if all this weren't good enough - the room comes with use of a car all for roughly $100 a day.

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling
  • Written August 10, 2005

• kyoub profile photo kyoub
  • Reviews: 2221

Flamingo Park: Have your own kitchen

There are several floor plans of bungalows.
Ours had an upstairs with 2 double beds, kitchen, bedroom, and bath downstairs. Plus a nice large patio. $75
The larger bungalows had 2 bedrooms, livingroom, large kitchen, and bath all on the first floor. $95
There was also a small bungalow with a small kitchenette, bath, and small bedroom plus large patio. $38

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written June 11, 2005
Tip Photo

Don't try this in the dark

• kyoub profile photo kyoub
  • Reviews: 2221

Flamingo Park: Nature and privacy

At first I thought it was a little rustic but the longer we stayed the more we liked it.
It was nice to come home after a long day of sightseeing to our little quiet bungalow in the woods.

We loved the privacy, the breeze, the birds and lizards.
Very friendly and helpful owners.
Nice pool.

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written June 11, 2005

Nature

• fishing4jetlag profile photo fishing4jetlag
  • Reviews: 8

Hilton: Not bad or great

The Hilton is next door to the Marriot -- and if youre not price sensitive or if they re the same price I would recommend the Marriot if youre into chain hotels (you can walk next door from Hilton -- out to street and next door -- not along beach). But there are cooler hoytels with much more character they are just not on the beach -- Floris Suite Hotel is right across the street from the Hilton and is very modern lux, very relaxed -- ate there once, but you have to walk to beach. The Hotel Kura Hulanda is very cool too -- in town though, way away from beach - very historic setting with museum and gallery -- rent a car and see the whole island and eat where you want!!

• Written May 10, 2005

• bijo69 profile photo bijo69
  • Reviews: 943

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Pietersz Guesthouse: Just a place to sleep...

Well, there isn't much to say about this place. The rooms (at least the singles) are a bit like a prison cell without window, but all have aircon.
The staff is very friendly though, but don't expect anybody showing up on Sundays :)...

none

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written March 26, 2005

pic downloaded

• tuti_plaate profile photo tuti_plaate
  • Reviews: 34

Hilton Hotel Curacao: Hilton Hotel Curacao

Located on the beach within walking distance of the World Trade Center Curacao, 10 minutes away from the airport and the capital city of Willemstad. The resort has 196 airconditioned guestrooms, all featuring satellite television, safe, coffeemaker, clock radio, telephone, data port, iron board and hair dryer.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Business Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written March 27, 2004

Curacao Hilton Hotel

• vicky_cannae profile photo vicky_cannae
  • Reviews: 73

a friend's house

i stayed with a friend in otrobanda, they say it's very dangerous there, but if you are a little bit carefull, nothing will happen

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written May 6, 2003
Tip Photo

• spartan profile photo spartan
  • Reviews: 926

Sheraton Curaçao Caribbean Resort: Resort setting...great price

Located on the beach, the Sheraton Curaçao Caribbean Resort extends an island's welcome with an on-site casino, four restaurants, live entertainment, and a bar, as well as an array of water-sports activities.

Visit Atlantis Diving II for excellent instructor-level diving on site. Travel eight miles to Willemstad, the nearest major city, where you can visit old forts, a Seaquarium, Hato caves, and museums. There, you can also enjoy sight-seeing or shopping tours. Rates range from $150.00 - $250.00/night.

• Written October 4, 2002