Piscadera Bay, Willemstad, Curacao, Caribbean

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 45% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Paul2001's Profile Photo

Very Good Big Chain Resort

Believe or not I had never stayed in a big chain beach resort in the Caribbean before I visited Curacao. I guess it was not something that I figured to be my "scene". Generally I do not like to stay in the hotel too much during my stays abroad. This is the first time I spent nearly half of my time in the hotel itself while visiting a tourist destination. On a whole I liked but not without some minor reservations some of which I anticipated in advance. I thought that the services and food in the hotel were overpriced. This was too be expected. Unfortunately the hotel is a little far from the town of Willemstad. It was a forty minute walk or a $15 cab ride ($20 after 11pm). The room itself was large but nothing really special. For the most part it was quiet.

• the worst until now

stayed for ten days had to change rooms because of moist.
    in the next room we were atacked by bedbugs.
    beautifull beach rooms very dated service is ok
    customer service is bad they just excuse for problems but not solve them.
    not recomended

Unique Quality: ?

• vaillaw's Profile Photo

A Great Place to Stay in Curacao

The staff could not have been nicer. There was an small oil spill occurred about 2 weeks before the beginning of our stay. The hotel notified us by email before our stay and were great at providing information to assure us that our stay would not be affected. They even said that we could come, spend the first night and if we didn't want to stay, they would help us find another hotel. It turned out the oil was a non issue but that type of attitude is typical of the hotel.

Unique Quality: The pool is very nice and has a great swim up bar and restaurant. The snorkeling was great in front of the hotel. The dive shop was excellent. My two daughters, aged 16 and 22, and I did four dives with the shop. Very competent and helpful. We had a car so we did not eat a lot of meals at the hotel but the ones we had were good. The Marriott is west of Willemstad which is located about in the middle of the island. The Marriott is only about 20 minutes from the far west end of the island which is good if you want to explore some of the small beaches to the west.

Directions: A easy 10 minute drive to Willemstad. The Marriott is west of Willemstad and it is only 20 minutes to the far west end of Curacao. A great location.

• Marriott Standards Upheld

We were greeted upon arrival with a smile and a small cup of juice. Our room was not quite ready so we were invited to look around the pool and beach area. After about 45 minutes our rooms were ready and the accomodations were accurate for our reservation - 2 rooms one king and one with double beds side by side. Beds were below Marriott USA standards - too lumpy and hard but the rest of the room was as would be expected. The first day our hot water did not work but that was corrected on day two. The AC worked fine and the rooms were clean. The room has a cooler but it is not a refrigerator - it will keep fruit from spoiling but not cold enough for milk or beer.

The guest services desk was staffed by very inexperienced personnel. They frequently recommended restaurants later to find out they had never eaten there - and the food/service was not very good. Interestingly enough, they did not know where many of the attractions were located on the map though they apparently live on the island.

Food at the hotel is very limited and very expensive. The Portofino Italian restaraunt might as well be in Portifino, Italy. The prices were so high ($80+/person), we refused to eat there even though we wanted a fine dining experience. The sports bar is also pricey and the food is mediocre - mostly burgers and fries. The Voila snack shop has excellent coffee drinks at Starbucks prices and offers sandwiches, salads, and pastries to go at Starbucks prices. We tried the Indonesian buffet at the oceanside restaraunt (Seabreeze) on Sunday evening - the food is over rated and typical of what you might get in the Food Court of a US mall - overcooked and on display too long (price $30/person plus drinks).

The best dining news about the Marriott is that Hooks Hut is next door at the Hilton and offers the best food for the money on the island. Hooks serves sandwiches, wraps, salads, seafood and steak in large portions at a fair price.

Unique Quality: The grounds were very well maintained including bug spray to keep the insects away. The pool is nothing great but it is clean and appropriately sized for a small hotel. The two outdoor hot pools were larger than expected and very clean.

Directions: Willemstad

• TheNeimeyers's Profile Photo

Curacao's best hotel

We had just came back from Curacao and stayed at the Marriott during our stay there.The service was impeccable,the beach phenomenal and and the food served in the restaurants/grill simply delish!We were totally spoilt.Oh and the view is spectacular,especially at sunset.Something not to be missed.

Unique Quality: The Marriott is home to some huge iguanas lurking around in the gardens.I am really terrified of lizards but my husband loves them.They have iguana feeding time daily.Do check at the front desk for more information.

Directions: Right next to the Hilton.

• Curacao's best stay

Wonderful place to stay. Rooms are very nice and comfortable. Good restaurants but breakfast is the best. Everything is available, just sit and enjoy.
    Swimmingpool is great and the bar next to it serves the best chicken wings. It's als a perfect spot for drinks, especially at night.
    Service is good but not friendly.

Unique Quality: Everything is first class.

Directions: Not far from the airport

• Tippecanoe's Profile Photo

So Beautiful

Other than the overly expensive restaurant this hotel is awesome. One of the best beaches on the island and an awesome staff. Amazing how they all speak 4 languages! Make sure you have a car and you can enjoy the some great local restaurants. A great place for romantic walks on the beach with hammocks that are great for star gazing.

• Frisbeeace's Profile Photo

Best choice in Curacao

The Marriott is a fine resort with a nice pool and one of the best beaches in the island. Rooms are large, nicely decorated and have incredibly comfortable beds. Lobby area could be larger and better. They have programmed activities but never saw people taking part of them. The hotel in general is very (too) quiet. Perfect place for couples on a relaxing trip. Not a place to party.

Unique Quality: The beach has the best snorkel we found on the island

• ppsskk's Profile Photo

All Inclusive package at the Marriott.

The hotel was nice and the staff was friendly. We did the all inclusive package which covered all our meals and drinks (including alcohol). We felt it was a good value. There are only 3 or 4 restaurants to eat at there but the food was pretty good at all of them so it wasn't a problem. The service there is a bit slow but I think that's just an "island thing" so get used to it and relax and have some cocktails cause they're on the house.

More about Marriott Curacao Resort

When is the next available flight back to Curacao???

by TripAdvisor Member nfahey

This was our first trip to Curacao and we stayed at the Marriott Resort for 8 nights of our 12 night trip (11/20-11/28/2003) and booked the "Total Escape Package" which is their form of an all-inclusive. We loved the Marriott, but I will give you both the good and the bad.

The rooms were very nice having been decorated with a very tropical decor and were also very clean. They were however infested with misquitos (as the previous poster mentioned). Our room was on the ground floor which made it worse so we requested a new room, but they were booked solid while we were there so they provided us with a can of heavy duty bug spray. This worked very well, but make sure you spray and leave the room for quite a while b/c it really leaves an odor and you cannot leave the doors open to air out the room or you are just inviting them right back in. We also requested the maid service close the door when our room was being cleaned and this also helped a lot.
After the second day there we were finding minimal amounts of misquitos per day (maybe two or three per day). We had brought OFF repellent w/ us b/c we were aware of the misquitos in the rainy season but we did not bring enough to exterminate the entire room.

Guest services called every other day to make sure everything was okay.
The pool was absolutely breath taking.

We ate at their on site restuarants everyday. Even though it was an all-inclusive, there were no restrictions on how many times you could eat at Portifino, their upscale Italian restaurant. We ate at Portifino four times and both the food and service was excellent. Between the two of us we had their beef tenderloin, lobster tails (there is a surcharge for this meal), rack of lamb, sauteed shrimp, and red snapper for our entrees. All were excellent.

We also had several dinners on the deck at the Sea Breeze Bar & Grill.
The service here was a bit slower, but the food was always prepared exactly as we ordered it (I tend to order things plain) and the food was very good quality. Here we tried the beef tenderloin, chicken skewers and seafood skewers.

We had breakfast every morning at their bkfst buffet. There is an egg/omlett station, plus several hot items and a continental section.
My only complaint on this restaurant was the EXTREMELY slow service (even for the caribbean). We only drink orange juice (no coffee or tea) and we had a very hard time getting refills. The food was always fresh and tasty.

We ate lunch everyday at the Sea Breeze Bar & Grill. Some days we ate lunch right in the pool at the swim up bar. The bartenders were fantastic and the food was great. We tried their burgers, hot dogs (my hubbys favorite), chicken nuggets, fruit salad and chicken sandwich.
All were very tasty and ready in a flash!

Another comment on the bartenders. If they did not know how to make a drink you wanted and you could tell them what was in it they were willing to mix it until they got the perfect amounts of everything.
They were very accomodating and willing to learn new drinks.

The beach is very nice, but a bit rocky compared to Aruba and Punta Cana. We are not divers or snorkelers so I cannot comment on these activites.

Overall we loved the Marriott and if we ever decide to return to Curacao we would definately stay here.

Great Hotel!

I would highly recommend the hotel (we stayed at the hotel the last week in December 2003). Most of the positive reviews were right on target - - friendly staff, clean rooms, small beach (which is private - - no locals on the beach) and an excessive amount of rocks (which isn't bad if you want to snorkel around the rocks). I chuckle about some of the reviews because some people are never happy - - go with an open mind and enjoy life. I have been to the Caymans, Nassau, St. Martin, St. Thomas, Dominican Republic and St. John (not to mention other places - - I travel all the time and look for the best deals). My number one priority (when visiting a beach area) is the water, beach, and facilities. I like to stay at a hotel (on an all-inclusive plan) and enjoy it all! I normally only leave the hotel for excursions. If you are like me, you will totally enjoy the hotel. Only one suggestion - - confirm your reservations before you leave the states. We purchased an all-inclusive plan (Total Escape Package) and there was a mix up with our reservation. I was informed (by the Marriott upon check-in) that the package wasn't sold during high season; however, they "honored" our reservation (there were about 5-7 guests with the same problem). We used expedia.com (so make sure that you call before you leave and confirm again). One more thing - - I really "freak out" about food (very picky). I didn't have a problem finding something on the menu each night. If you don't go all-inclusive, be prepared to pay the big $$$ (because I like to eat and drink). A beer will cost you at least $4 (and those little guys can add up). On an all-inclusive plan, you can drink and eat until you are happy and relaxed - - no worries about adding everything up. I went with my boyfriend and he loved it also (the casino was fine). Gosh... It was just beautiful! But, you need to relax and ejoy.

If you don't love it here, you don't love vacationing

by TripAdvisor Member larrytrain

I stayed here from 12/18/03 - 12/25/03. Let me agree with most of the posters here by saying this is a top notch facility. It is kept immaculate - the rooms, the grounds, the beach, the pool all are clean and well maintained. Also, believe everything everyone says here about the quality of service - it is heads and shoulders above the service I've ever received at any hotel/resort, and most certainly the best I've ever received at a Marriot and I spend 100+ nights a year at their full service properties.

The rooms are in the process of being remodeled - I was given an upgrade to an oceanfront suite upon arrival, and it was one of the newly completed rooms. It is not too extravagant - more of standard Marriott variety which is not bad so much as plain vanilla. Our room led directly out onto a private beach, which was pretty nice. They were working on some rooms in our wing of the hotel, and I never once heard so much as a bang or clatter over the course of the week.

The staff there is attentive, honest, friendly, and welcoming. They really are the backbone of this place. Everyone that works there really does care about the quality of your stay and whether or not you enjoy their island. They try very hard to mix things up here - during the course of my stay there were 2 beach parties, christmas carolers, dancing expos, a couple MLB ball players signing baseballs, and of course Santa. Any request you have they will work quickly to try and accomodate. The true test of this (in my opinion) was the way they could be so friendly and helpful and great to all the rude people there from the New York area.

The pool is great, but a bit small - if it's crowded be prepared to fight for a chair. I thought this was insane, but people were waking up at 6 am to put towels on on pool chairs. I found the beach to be nicer, anyway. Plenty of chairs there, food/beverage service, and some beautiful waters. Make sure you bring water shoes or if not, they have them for free at the towel stand. If you're from the US and you have a family, you should probably know that there's also lots of Europeans that stay here, and you'll see a good number of breasts over the course of your stay.

The concierge there is also great - they have directions pre-printed for just about every single destination on the island. If you need to go someplace, just ask and they'll pull a sheet out for you. I'd also recommend having them make your dinner reservations.

I disagree with other posters about some of the food comments. Sea Breezes is a great beach bar/restaurant for when you want quick lunch or a drink...they still have a happy hour each day from 4-6. Voila also makes some great sandwiches, which is a great alternative to the fried/grill food of Sea Breezes. But, Portofino's is mediocre at best, and very expensive. I found there were much better food options to be found downtown (~1 mile from the resort). You won't hate your food, but I don't think by any standards their food is as good as the price of an entree there ($16 - 30 + surcharges for some entrees). The breakfast buffet was also mediocre - not a bad value but I wish there were other options.

The only downsides to this resort are insignificant. They attached a 12% service charge to EVERYTHING. A bit annoying when it comes to things like internet access cards or phone calls. Also, there is a refinery or something downwind from the resort, which is a bit unsightly but thankfully doesn't muck up the water or air.

All in all, I would go back there in a heartbeat and recommend this place to anyone. The resort and the island have lots to offer for everyone and is a great alternative to someplace like Aruba.

Second time, still simply wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member jimthediver

We stayed for a few days in November 2003. Our previous visit was July 2002, when we stayed for a full week.

The hotel is simply wonderful and very well managed. The room was clean and efficient, and very nicely air conditioned. We had an oceanfront room which was ground level next to the pool. While we were at the hotel there were two receptions right next to our room, but the hotel handeled this so well we were never inconvenienced. The hotel landscaping and the wonderful drinks at the pool bar are reason enough to stay at the Marriott.

This is a somewhat pricey, but very well located facility to sightsee the very interesting island of Curacao.

Comments