Little Bay Road Philipsburg St

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

The entire Island has...

by pat110

The entire Island has breath-taking views of the Ocean. Probably my favorite views were near Divi Little Bay Resort where the colors were unbelievable!

A little disappointed in Little Bay

We stayed in Divi Little Bay the week of Oct 4th, 2004. The reception staff were very nice and friendly. The first room that they gave to us was at the top of a large, steep hill. When we entered the room my girlfriend was almost in tears. The maintenence was so poor that the bathtub was rusted, the blinds were falling apart, paint was falling off the walls in large chunks and the furniture was delapitated (but the view was great). We asked for a new room but were told that the resort was sold out, which I found hard to believe since it seemed very quiet there and there weren't many people around. They eventually gave us another room that was recently remodeled (not great, but acceptable). The restaurants there are average at best and a little expensive for what you get. They had a cafeteria feel to them. We had to rent a car for the week and go out of the resort to eat almost every night. The pools there are terrible at best, very small and generally uninviting. We wound up crashing at other pools in different resorts on the island. St Maarten itself is a wonderful island with plenty to see and do. Overall we had a great vacation, but if we did not have a car and spend most of the time off the resort, I would have been ready to go home after the second day. P.S. we had Divi pay for the car rental since our upgraded room was a studio and we had paid for a one bedroom.

Pray for a hurricanne!

Pray that a hurrican hits Divi Little Bay...it could use a cleaning. Run down, Divi has seen better days. The rooms are not carpeted...this may not matter to you but to me it makes a big difference. The amenities are few and far between. No clock radios, poor TV reception and abathroom better suited to a third-world nation pretty much sum up the Divi. The worst, absolute worst service I have ever experienced! The staff just doesn't care about anything. You have to get a card to get a towel and believe me they care more about their towels then they do you. the food was an abomination, the beach was dirty and urchins from town frequently used it as their playground without the staff saying a single thing. The Dutch side of the island is a complete HOLE...stay on the FRENCH side if you have to stay on St. Maarten at all. Whatever you do...do not stay at the DIVI...please! You will be disappointed if you think you are getting a 3 star resort. The Divi is a 2 star resort at best. Everthing said in every negative review is true and verified by me...go someplace else...you deserve it!

Believe what you read!

Like many others I read and re-read everything available about a resort before I go...and in this case I should have believed every negative word that was written about Divi Little Bay Resort. By the way the word casino in the name is confusing because there is not one there. For some reason I let the pictures and resort write up fool me. We (two well traveled couples)spent the first week of November at Divi. We made our reservations 4 months in advance hoping that would help in getting what we asked for. We booked through the Divi Corporate office in Chapel Hill, NC. Again thinking that would help in getting what we asked for. The corp office assured us that the resort was in tip top shape and that we would be very pleased.
We called a week before going to confirm what we were getting...and none of it helped.
We did not get the type of room we asked for, we did not get our rooms near each other and we did not get the $50 in "St Martin Bucks" that we were to get upon arrival because they had run out. The front desk staff laughed when we told them of all our conversations with and assurances from the corporate office.
Upon our arrival the two "bellmen", I guess you would call them, just stood there and talked as we got all our luggage out of our rental car...
The front desk took 45 minutes to check us in and we were the only ones at the front desk! We knew from the minute we got out of the car that we had made a mistake.
The peninsula that the Divi sits on is pretty and the ocean around it is beautiful. And that is the only good thing I can say. The resort is horribly run down everywhere! Initially we were given rooms up that huge, dreaded hill that I would not want my pet to stay in! Just awful. Then after about an hour of begging to be moved we were given different rooms the next day. We, too, were told they were sold out which was just impossible.
One of the buildings was closed for renovations and a huge construction dumpster sat in the middle of the main road by the building completely full. But there was not one construction worker there the whole week. There is peeling paint everywhere inside and out. The furniture is old, the bathrooms are ancient. the mirrors are dark and spotted. But even worse was that nothing was clean. The glass walls in the showers were covered in scum. The showers didn't drain properly. The floors turned your bare feet dark. the towels were old and sparse. We had to kill little bugs in our room for about 20 minutes before going to bed at night..they were on the nightstands, headboard, dresser, floor and even got in our luggage. The tub is unusable because the water that runs into it is red.
There is absolutely no pampering or fussing over the guests at all. Although nice, the employees are clearly hourly employees and when their time is up they are done. We watched 10-15 various people stroll into the Toucan cafe one morning for breakfast get turned away because the one and only cook refused to cook for them because it was 10:30 and he was off. The same at the Seabreeze bar...it closes at 6pm and anyone strolling in is refused a drink...and told to walk way over to the other bar. I've never seen such inflexibility at a resort. The place is a mess in every way.

Pleasantly surprised traveler

Let me start by saying that my trip to St. Maarten has been the 5th trip I've taken this year. I enjoy traveling and although never plan to spend my vacation in my hotel room I like a pleasant living space to come back to after an active day. That being said, after reading all the reviews of the Divi up until my trip Sept 6-12 I was scared out of my mind for what I was in for.. termites, bees, holes in showers, terrible staff. Well I guess my boyfriend and I were the lucky ones (although i ran into many other couples and families enjoying their stay at the Divi) because we were met with nothing but friendly and courteous service from the moment we checked in and were offered a room with a king size bed instead of the double I had booked us for. A bell man helped us to our room which was not apt like as in the website pics but it was well kept room with a beautiful oceanview. I searched for any infestations and rubble on the floor but found none. Although there was no clock in the room which took some adjusting to, we had our wake up calls and the time on the tv if necessary. My bf and I had no watches which made it all the more difficult to find the time but after a day we realized we're on vacation and who cares. You eat when you're hungry and go out when you hear the club music from across the bay at great places like Bamboo Bernie's(amazing set up and food and weds.'s are crazy dance nights) or Bliss (great thurs). The lady at the activities desk was very helpful although I must say that when we missed her it was difficult to book an activity (bayside horseback riding)because there was no contact numbers on the flyers. Apparently they get a commission from booking so it's not in their best interest to give out phone numbers. No problem for us though cuz we just ventured out on our rented jeep (a must if you really want to see the island, I mean you can't get lost) and found our way there. As for the reviewer who had to give up his firstborn for a towel, you got jipped cuz we just gave them our towel card or exchanged our dirty towels for clean ones. No big deal. We experienced hospitality everywhere from the minimarts on the resort, the wonderful baguette lady at the bayview cafe, the waiters at the seabreeze cafe to the best of the best which was the front desk woman at their wonderful Indulgence spa. We had massages our last day a few hours b4 our flight and these women could not have made us feel more at home and relaxed. Don't know what those complaining about the food expected but my boyfriend and I had great meals there our first night and pretty much just enjoyed tropical drinks and burgers for lunch whenever we lounged in one of their three pools. There were times we'd get to the cafes when they were no longer serving food unles it was to go. So we'd say to go and set ourselves up by the pool. As far as construction there is some work being done by Gizmo's bar but how can you complain about a place trying to better itself. I can't even really recall when the noise got iritating, I mean the resort and beach are so big you just place yourself away from it and they did not start or end construction at ungodly hours. We know this cuz we'd stay up to watch the sunrise. Our room didn't have a fridge, so we asked for one and got it for $5 a day. Not thrilled with that but it hardly makes it a horrible place to stay. St. Maarten's beautiful and while all the hype is on the french side we had a great time on the dutch. This is the second time we've stayed at a Divi, the first being in Barbados where we had an awesome time. I don't have low expectations or pure good luck, I'm just fair and feel that the Divi Little Bay needed some of the other truth to be known.

The little Divi is a BIG Dive

I have vacationed around the world for over 20 years. My stay at the Divi was the worst experience of my life. The Divi does have a very pretty and usuable beach. The waters are calm and the snorkleing is good. Now for the bad news. Everything else! I had reserved a Luxury One Bedroom Suite overlooking Little Bay six months in advance and was charged full price for it; no discounts. When I arrived at the Divi I was assigned an inferior room on the opposite side of the resort overlooking a stone wall. The room itself was in great disrepair. The wall airconditioner was hanging out from the wall dripping water. The wall was stained with rust and the wall paint peeling throughtout the unit. The tile floors were broken and coming up. The master bedroom bathroom had an unexcavated area. That's right, a sink, a toilet, a shower and an big mound of dirt! Needless to say, the bathroom was infested with small (okay very small) lizards. Simply put, THIRD WORLD. I went to the desk to complain about the accomodations. I had asked several times whether the suite was classified as a Luxury Suite. The desk crew assured me that it was. The room was so disgusting that I asked to be moved. They did, but the new room was no better than the first. I went backed to the desk several more times to ask why I did not get a bay side suite as I had reserved six months prior. They said the resort was full and none was available and suggested that I check back tomorrow. To make this very long nighmarish story shorter, let me say that I had discovered that the resort was not full and the real Luxury Suites were vacant. The only reason I finally got what I was paying for was because I persisted in demanding to be moved over the course of three days. I am certain, otherwise I would have spent my entire vacation in the ramshackle unit.
As an American traveling overseas I know not to expect the St. Regis, but I do expect the service crew to be honest and diligent. For me to spend 3 days trying to get what I had reserved and what I paid for is absurd. I am convinced that the service crew lied, cajoled and otherwised decieved me about what was available.
I will never return to the Divi in St Martin or any of its other resort locations. I suggest anyone considering a Divi destination rethink their plans. If Divi feels comfortable with a "bait and switch" in St Martin, I am certain they would not have a problem doing it elsewhere.

will not go again

by TripAdvisor Member jmbg

I am a faithfull user of this site in helping us to decide where to spend our hard earned vacation dollors and for the most part things have worked out well for us. When we made our reservation at the Divi back in March 2004 the good out weighed the bad and since we had never been to st Martin before we decided to give it a try. As time went by from March to August there were more and more bad reviews coming in and we began to worry. Unfortunetly our worries came true. Let me begin with the beach itself while the resort has no control over this the sand was a dark grey instead of sugar white which made it very hot to walk barefoot on the beach there was also small gravel like rocks the closer you got to the water and trying to get into the water was hard as the small rocks got bigger and sharper in the water. Now once you got past the rock line the bottom was soft but it was hard getting in. The water itself was calm and clear however for people who say the snorkeling is good there I just don't get it, in comparsion to places such as Grand Cayman or the Mayan Rivera it does not come close to these truly excellant sites.
Now for the resort itself the outside pictures do look pretty and the Divi website pictures of the rooms are nice. But the pictures do not show the whole truth. Upon checking in which took over an hour we were given a one bedroom unit that was at the top of the hill farthest away from the beach. As we were pulling our luggage up this long hill, you see there was no bellman service available at that time he couldn't be located, and there was no one who could give us a ride to our room so we marched up this steep hill and they closer we got to out building we noticed the flaking paint and and overall unmaintained look of the buildings ie broken or missing light fixtures missing and loose cobblestones. When we got to our building going up the three flights of stairs to room 737 the disrepair got worse, missing paint cracked windows and dirty doors we finally entered our unit. We couldnt help but notice the rusted out drain in the bathtub that had a (no kidding) two inch hole thru the tub where the water would go down directly to the room below. The walls were flaking paint in many places and the floor tile was craked also in many places. The fridge in the kitchen was so loud you could not hear the tv in the living area . One good thing about the room was the view off of the balcony was spectacular. After going to the front desk Saturday night, Sunday morning and finally on Monday morning I was able to get our room swithed to a one bedroom unit in building G. However they front desk was unable to make keys that day so we had to move in without the benefit of a key, once again I am not kidding. Of course we had to haul all of our luggage and items ourselves, the bellman was too busy letting people into their rooms to even think of helping us carry luggage. We finally did get a key Tuesday afternoon. While this new unit was much nicer then our first unit you could tell it was getting that wearing out lack of proper maintence and cleaning look. Now in dealing with the staff at the Divi no one was rude however no one really seemed to care about you as a guest or in the appearence of the resort. After seeing how the front desk and maintenance of the resort was we were not about to risk trying one of their restaurants so I cannot comment about them.
In our exploring of the island we found the area aroung Orient beach and Baie rouge to be the nicest in regards to the beach and water and did not find either one to be crowded especially Baie Rouge. A rental car is a must in St MArtin however the traffic is horrible, maybe if you live in Atlanta or chigago it might not seem bad but for a small town driver like myself it was bad.
WE did meet a lot of friendly people at the Divi who were guests there which was a plus but for my money and vaction time I would not go back there again.

Beautiful island...but do your research for a place to stay

Our daughter's wedding 'brought' 17 people to the resort. The wedding and reception were at the resort. Service was poor at the front desk. Disorganized at registration and check out. Rooms were certainly not 'resort' quality. Service in the restaurant was inexcusable. Most of the staff was indifferent. Washclothes were at a premium...had ONE one day. Had a bath mat one day. Beach was beautiful. Had to give up your first born to obtain a beach towel. Cab drivers were more helpful and friendly than the staff at the resort. The friendly island would not be so named if it was based on the service quality at Divi. I'm headed for Hawaii in the Spring and will avoid Divi Resorts in the future.

Charming Resort....

by TripAdvisor Member Bobcat2348

This lovely property with water on three sides is located at Little Bay on the Dutch side of the island and just minutes from Philipsburg, the Capital where you will find fine dining, entertainment and casino action.

The resort features three swimming pools, three restaurants, three bars, water sports, tennis, exercise room, strip mall of fine shops, mini-mart, car rental, coin operated laundromat, security on site 24/7 - a long beach front with lots of water activities. Lots of free parking.

The resort is divided into hotel and timeshare sections, the hotel sections face the beach and garden while the timeshare sections face the beach, Little Bay and Great Bay.

Some timeshare units are up on the hill leading to Ft. Amsterdam. Bring your camera for some fine photos.

The main restaurant offers "theme" nights BBQ and Lobster feast with live show.

The worst Place to Stay

My husband and I just got back from a 2 week vacation on St Martin. 4 days were spent at Divi Resort and the remainder at another timeshare. Divi was one of the worst places we have ever stayed and we travel the world several times a year. We were actually in 2 different units. Both were extremely run down. Dark and chipped tile and paint and rust spots everywhere. The toilets in both units hardly worked at all. My husband had to even do a lot of maintence to them including the sinks didn't work properly either. One unit had ants everywhere and the other obviously had a rat that visited the kitchen every night. It made such a mess everyday. The units need an extreme makeover. The view is amazing from the resort, but that seemed to be the only thing going for it during our stay in 11/04.

Comments