Pelican Resort Club

Po Box 431, Philipsburg, Sint Maarten, AN

More about Pelican Resort Club

Pelican Resort in March

This was my first trip to the caribbean. The weather in St. Martin was comfortable. Simpson Bay is great location close to some nice bars and restaurants. The Pelican Resort is a large complex. If you stay there I recommend the Marina section with any room facing the bay. We had a studio above the pool area. The room was a good size ,clean and had a great veiw. The service was good and the people working there were very friendly. I would stay there again,but only in this section.

Pleasantly surprised(and relieved)

by TripAdvisor Member BeachloverBaltimore

My family and I just returned from spending a wonderful week at the Pelican Resort in St. Martin. Prior to leaving on our vacation(but after committing to stay at the resort) I read the previous postings on this site and started to regret our decision to come. However, we had a much better experience than the previous writers. While the accomodations were not delux, they were clean and very spacious. We had 2 studios in the B building to accomodate our family of 5. Both had been recently renovated and we had patios that faced the pool area. The pool was large with lanes for swimming and a shallower area for kids. I especially enjoyed a daily water aerobics class which was held from 10-11 every weekday. Contrary to prior reports, I found the staff to be very friendly and accomodating. People said good morning when they passed me and when we had a problem with one of the units smelling moldy somebody came quickly to remedy the situation. There were very nice tennis courts which were lit at night so we got to play every day in a comfortable temperature. The beach was nice too and I would recommend taking a sunset cruise from the marina which only cost $10 and included free drinks and spectacular views. We rented a car for a few days so that we were able to explore some of the other beaches on the island, Marigot and Phillipsburg. I thought that the Pelican was a good family resort and we all had a very relaxing vacation.

The Beach, the view, the accomadations

Just got back from a week long trip to St. Martin. The beach at the Pelican rivals any of the beaches that we saw the entire time we were there. The people who take care of you at the beach were excellent.
Setting up umbrellas and chairs the second you get down to the beach.
The rooms, well we were a bit spoiled because we had a two bedroom suite, but the view was magnificent. Mountains to one side and the marina directly in front of you. SO RELAXING. The jacuzzi in the room was clean and when we first arrived we greased the cleaning lady twenty bucks and told her our room that we were staying in. When we returned to check in, our entire condo smelled like a hospital it was so clean.
The people are very nice if you are nice to them. I just have a feeling that the previous reviews were a bunch of stiffs. The Kitchen was more than adequate and we cooked dinner almost every night. There is a fish market in Marigot that you should definetely go check out if you like to cook like ourselves. Overall excellent vacation. Very relaxing. If you are looking for an active sightseeing vacation w/ a ton to do this is not your place. If you want to relax sit on the beach and have some great food and a little gambling you could not ask for a better place.
Grand Case is a great little town w/ EXCELLENT french restaurants.

Pleasantly Relieved

When I read all the bad press on the place I was very nervous of what to expect. I must say I am glad I didn't listen to others opinions.
When I first arrived the reception area was no very attractive but clean, it gave me the feeling that this was going to be the worse vacation I have taken. From that point forward I was impressed. The pools, beach and people were wonderful. The tennis courts, casino and other shops were clean and very comforatble. We had 2 rooms, one in Beaumontia and the other in Bougainvillea. The rooms were very large, very clean and recently remodeled. The view was spectacular. I read so much bad press on the place that I was very satisfied. I will agree they need to do upgrades to make it a 5 star but this place was very nice and I would definitely return there. A few comments for you. If traveling, take the bus. The bus looks like an extended minivan, (accommodates 12 or so) and is $1 per person from Phillipsburgs to Mulet Bay. Sure beats a taxi's outrageous prices. I always felt safe there, except for some late evenings in Phillipsburg on some of the side streets. Guess we still felt safe but maybe a better word would be uncomfortable. We took our teenage children to the pelican and they loved it too. My recommendation is to make your own determination on the quality of the place. Did I see a cockroach there, sure I did, but I never saw one mosquito. Might be the time of the year but many folks dwell on the negatives instead of the positives and this place has many more positives than it has negatives. We would definitely return. Oh and one last comment, the staff very friendly and very helpful. If you treat people with respect you get respect back. Have a fun stay at the Pelican, I am sure you will see my comment is much closer to reality than some of the bad press comments you read earlier.

Mediocre resort with a great view

We spent 10 days at Pelican (Feb.22-Mar 3, 2004). I booked before reading reviews and was also apprehensive. The rooms were average. On 3 separate days the toilets wouldn't flush. One night we had no electric.
The phone in our room didn't work. Air conditioner was loud and inefficient. No one seemed concerned about making repairs. Resort is on the side of a mountain, making walking a bit difficult. Beach was nice, although beach umbrellas and chairs needed replacing. We went to the beach bar at the resort next to us, as the one on our beach was so shabby I didn't want to eat or drink anything from there. The staff was not helpful at all, and a bit rude.Maid service was only offered mid week, so you had to use linens sparingly. No night life at the resort, and very slim activities. You need to rent a car, or else you are stranded! There were many nicer resorts that I will go to next time.

Perception is everything!

This will be our 12th year that we will have stayed at the Pelican. We normally go early April for 2 weeks. I have yet to see a roach! Believe me, if I had seen one I would have died! I hate bugs! I must not be too demanding - I don't expect a five star hotel but I do expect my room to be clean and since I am friendly and courteous I expect the same in return. We have always felt safe on St. Maaten. We have been out all night to various locations throughout the island and not once have we run into any kind of problem. Being Canadian is a bonus on St. Maarten because the Time Share sales people that want to promote their business are not interested in the Canadians - they are looking for American's.
Once they realize your nationality they leave you alone. What I like most about St. Maarten are the beaches, the excellent variety of restaurants, the views, the ocean and the beautiful people that we have met in the past 12 years! I agree that not all the staff at the Pelican will greet you with open arms and a smile - but after having seen how how some of the tourist behave I can't blame them! It is like anything else in life - your vacation is what you make of it! I always have a great time and I don't let the fact that my toilet won't flush for a couple of hours bother me! Relax and enjoy!!!

St Maarten

by foxden170

I am looking for suggestions for great restraunts to visit things we should absoulutely do things to avoid if anyone has had bad experiences. We are going for are 20th Anniversary and are looking forward to the vacation we will be there for a week and would love some suggestions.We are staying on the Dutch side at the Pelican Resort Club. THANKS

Comments