On the Hill of Grand Case, , 97150, Caribbean

• Over Rated Hotel

Although the vast online reviews rave about this hotel-we must respectfully disagree for the following reasons. OK-1st of all the town: Several great but very pricey restaurants-very,very limited shopping. Town is dirty, the one street is pot-holed and you take your life in your hands walking down it as the locals drive at a high rate of speed - down what should be a promenade.. One of the two streets coming into town is called Shantytown by locals-it is a slum! It is also a $30 to $40 (each way) taxi ride to Marigot or Phillipesburg. 2nd- the hotel: At $500.00 plus $55.00 service tax and an $18.00 local tax a night for a nice one bedroom suite with a view and a kitchenette and largish balcony, one would expect have a package of coffee provided for each day-not-first day only. Ok, you can have coffee, juice and a baguette delivered for $15.00 each morning but there is no restaurant on premise and other than the above mentioned and there is no room service. The pool bar is only open from 11:30 a.m. to 6:00 pm and you can have a burger at the bar (fish, chicken or beef). If you want a cocktail (or a late bite) after 6:00 bring your own or walk to another facility in town or up the hill to the Grand Case Beach Club. Tile floors are nice but cold-bring your own slippers-and very noisy if you have anyone over your room/suite. (especially in the morning when the rooms are being cleaned)-sleeping in may not be an option. The hotel does not have a beach and the nearest one is a ten minute walk down the hill into town or up the hill to the Grande Case Beach Club. When we arrived there was no Bell hop to help up the front steps with our baggage-same for friends who arrived 90 minutes later in mid to late afternoon. There were two guys sitting on the steps who I suspect were employees but they did not acknowledge our arrival. Although there is no exercise room you will get plenty of exercise as steps (lots of steps- 79 to our room) separate every area. If there has been rain you may encounter a myriad of miniature, mean mosquitoes which means no sitting on the balcony in the evening - maybe that is why they close the pool bar at 6:00 p.m.? The local airport is immediately adjacent to the hotel and you may be entertained or annoyed by landings and take-offs. I suppose if you enjoy seclusion (but not necessarily quiet), this place may be ideal because there is literally nothing to do in this town or the hotel. Cheers, Chris

Directions: On the hill above Grand Case

More about Hotel L'Esplanade

Best holiday evere

Thank God for l'Esplanade..once again my trip to St. Martin was unforgettable. I had been in St. Martin 10 yrs. ago when it was still an 'undiscovered island'..or at least less touristic than now. Having had, at the time had a wonderful time, I wanted to go back and show the island to my husband. I have to say I was a bit disappointed by the many houses and buildings constructed over this past 10 years as well as the the traffic and the amount of cars circulating on the island. But fortunately thanks to trip advisor I was able to stay at L'esplanade, an affordable, cozy, well kept , and well served hotel. The people at the hotel were magnificent, helpful in answering all our curiosities booking boat trips , cars rental, restaurants ..and the rooms were big, spacious and amazingly clean....A home away from home.The staff at the L'Amandier beach, to hich L'esplanade's guests have free access, were also very polite and helpful and their cocktails and food were great! CANT WAIT TO GO BACK TO L'ESPLANADE!

Above the Rest

My husband and I discovered Hotel L'Esplanade in June 2003, and we have been back three times since! We have forgone our previous regular trips to Europe in favor of this totally fantastic experience - great restaurants as good as France, beautiful hotel, friendly hotel staff, great beaches from L'Amandier, the beach club, to Dawn Beach and elsewhere. We've already booked for winter 2005.

Great Stay

by TripAdvisor Member KASheely

I just came back from a one week stay at the lovely Hotel L'Esplanade on St. Martin. The hotel, staff, and location - ALL excellent. While this hotel is not right on the beach, it is a wonderful place to stay. Every morning we were greeted with a fabulous breakfast of wonderful breads, coffees and juices. The best part - just a short trip (OK - 63 steps) down from the hotel was Grand Case Boulevard - otherwise known as Restaurant Row. We spent every night dining and drinking in a different - yet absolutely fabulous restaurant. If your ideal trip to St. Martin is sun, relaxation, and unbelievable food (that you can walk to - not drive and deal with the road, the substandard cars, and the parking) - this is the place to be. Stephanie and Philomene welcomed us with open arms, arranged for a driver to meet us at the airport, coordinated our car rental, and made us feel every bit at home. We journeyed over to see LaSammana. While it is a beautiful location - you would not have immediate access to all of the fabulous dining experiences on Grand Case.

Perfect Hotel

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon. The rooms are bigger than you would expect and the view from your balcony is priceless. The island is beautiful and culturally varied so you can experience alot in one vacation. I will be going back here, no doubt!

Simply the Best

by TripAdvisor Member kcbiv

Stayed at the L'Esplanade for 7 days back in April and it was absolutely fabulous! Walking distance to some of the best restaurants in the world. The staff was extremely helpful and walking distance to the beach. One of the most relaxing pools I have ever hung out at. Very private. You feel like you are a movie star staying at this hotel. Can not say enough good things about this wonderful property. Basically a week after we left L'Esplanade we booked our room for 10 days in 2005.

Truly Magnificent

Hotel L'Esplande is an excellent hotel. I am very selective about my accomodations - everything must be perfect and it was at Hotel L'Esplande. I agonized for months deciding where I wanted to stay on my first trip to St Martin. We were extremely happy with Hotel L' Esplande and the staff is wonderful!

My fiancee and I visited the week of Sept 6, 2004, and the weather was picture perfect - despite Hurricane Frances and Ivan moving through the carribean. Orient Beach was virtually empty - it was like having our own priavte beach. Many restaurants were closed however we discovered Le Pressoir and fell in love. The food and service are superior, we enjoyed the most wonderful french dinners there.

Living in NY we are used to paying a premium price for food and service and I even had some sticker shock at the food prices!

If you are interested in jewelry go to Shiva's in Philipsburg and ask for Raj. We purchased a diamond engagement ring and eternity band. We were a little nervous about making a purchase of this nature out of the US. However, when we got back to the states we had both rings appraised at a reputable Greenwich, CT jeweler and are very pleased with the outcome.

Driving on the island is crazy! I left the diving to my fiancee and fastened my seatbelt! That's all I say!

We will definitley return to St Martin, Hotel L'Esplande and Le Pressior on our next trip this coming summer!

A hotel doesn't get any better

by TripAdvisor Member bob32a

This was our first stay in St. Martin. Trying to choose a hotel is difficult when you don't have a national chain to pick from.

I spent about 6 hours on this website looking at various hotel reviews. This one seemed to get a grade "A" from everyone so we decided to reserve a week.

The hotel was everyone that we could want. Oversize loft and clean as our home. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Pool was beautiful and had a great bar and very friendly bartender.

We didn't rent a car and used a taxi for our visits to Phillipsburg, Marigot etc. Taxi fares are about $20 from the airport and Phillipsburg. In the end we probably came out cheaper by just using the taxi and not having the hassle of traffic jams and parking.

One of the great features of the hotel is walking distance to restaurant row. Some of the finest restaurants in the Caribbean are located here. Our favorites were L'Alabama and La Marine.

We hope to get back next year. Without a doubt this is the place to stay.

tiny beaches in st.martin

Although the Hotel L'esplanade is truly lovely, the beaches in Grand Case and St. Martin in general were a terrible disappointment. They were almost non-existent in Grand Case area. Not what we expected from a carribean island. Wish someone had mentioned that in all the reviews I poured over before picking this destination. Great restaurants, but couldn't get over the missing beach.

The Best Hotel in St Martin (for less than $1000/night!)

by TripAdvisor Member TommyBoy2004

My wife and 2 children just returned yesterday from St Martin and had a wonderful journey, thanks in large part to the wonderful facilities and attention at Hotel L'Esplanade. We stayed in a regular loft (not an oversized one) which looked over the Caribbean (I believe all the lofts do). It was spacious. The room was amazing-- beautiful balcony overlooking the property and water where you could eat your breakfast; dark hardwood trim everywhere, including an amazing wooden ceiling; very clean; 2 bathrooms; full kitchen (no DW) -- basically all a small family or couple could want.

The service was fantastic - no charge for promptly delivered cribs -- an extra baguette when we ran out of bread -- booking of travel to St Barths -- genuine friendliness. The maid staff cleaned the kitchen, including the dishes from the night before, every morning. With children, eating out in St Martin can be expensive so it helps to take at least 1 meal a day in the room, which is no loss since the hotel has such exquisite views.

The pools are fantastic-- never have I felt closer to an image of paradise than when lying in the circular pool, water pouring out of a pitcher shaped fountain, butterflies circling, aloe and other flowers everywhere, beautiful tilework, blue skies, 86 degrees, and overlooking the Caribbean.

Note that the hotel does not have a full service restaurant, and does not have a real lobby area one would expect at a 4 or 5 star hotel. The open-air concerierge area has a spectacular view and feel that would be impossible to duplicate with an interior foyer, but just to let you know....

Very close location to downtown Grand Case (you can walk easily), quick 10 min ride to the north shore beaches, 15 min down to Marigot. Perfect location to explore the island!

Beautiful but some problems

by TripAdvisor Member CaribTrvlr

Beautiful, clean, friendly, quite accomodations. Probably one of the best places I have ever stayed at. However they really need to do something about the sound proofing in the rooms. I could hear the people in the room next door clear as a bell having conversations, taking showers...ect.
Also this is not a hotel for small children. We had a family next to us on our last night and the kids were screaming at 9:30 pm and it sounded like they were in the same room as us.
One other downfall was that no one is at the front desk after 9 pm. so if you have any complaints your either on your own or you walk and look for the security guard somewhere outside.

Comments