L'Habitation De Lonvilliers

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Sint Maarten

Where to?Where to?

Liz enjoying her chocolate coneLiz enjoying her chocolate cone

Christmas OrnamentsChristmas Ornaments

Tee shirts and sweatshirtsTee shirts and sweatshirts

Belair Hotel

by cwhit21

Ill be staying there in the little bay area. How far are the fun things to do, nightlife, casino, etc? Can anyone recommend places to eat around that area? I had also thought about car rental, good idea or just use taxis? Ill be there for a week, so plenty of time to get around. Thanks for any help.

by Irina80

I stayed on the french side, looks like you're staying on the dutch side, probably near Philipsburg which is packed with places you're looking for. Sorry that I am not able recommend any particular places as we were shopping food at the supermarket and cooking at home (even that was expensive:)). But I would definitely recommend renting a car. First of all it isnt expensive at all, and second, for a week stay you can drive around the island, get everywhere and see everything 100 times. French side is interesting. Grand Case is said to be famous for its restaurants serving mostly french cuisine, they are OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive:), we ate here: http://www.bistrotcaraibes.com/menu.html, very very good. Orient Bay beach is incredibly beautiful and bathing suites are optional:)

by cwhit21

Thanks Irina! When you rented the car did you reserve it prior to the trip or get one when you arrived? I know sometimes it can be or usually is cheaper to reserve it prior. So I am guessing itll probably be the same. I plan on cooking for myself I hope, as I figured it is expensive to eat out. Thanks for the tips!

by Irina80

I rented the car prior to going to the island. I googled and browsed thru rentals websites for a while, I forgot the name of the rental company which I got the car from, they were from the french side anyway. But they were local, not Budget or Enterprise, etc. Have a great trip!

Travel Tips for Sint Maarten

Great Bay

by windoweb

Paralleling Front Street in Philipsburg, facing South, lies Great Bay Beach. The beach is long of over a mile, and wide. So there is plenty of fine white sand to lie on.

The waters are clear and calm. Great Bay is ok for swimming, but also a favorite place for beach strollers, as you can watch the coming and going of cruise ships in the harbor.

Front Street and the board walk have recently undergone substantial remodeling and reconstruction, which significantly upgrades this attractive spot. The area is close to the cruise ship dock, which makes it a favorite place for short term visitors, too.

NO MORE SHOPS...PLEASE

by BerniShand

The words every husband loves to hear, no more shops please.

we walked down between two shops and found the beach, the sky was blue and the warm Carribean was bluer, so we sat a while, paddled in the waves and hunted for shells as we were just going onto the beach a group of about 20 local children were coming off it. Seeing that my husband had the camcorder out and was filming they all wanted their faces to be on film.
We have what must be one of the most charming video sequences ever, of the beautiful children each saying hello to the camera.
They were the most well behaved, polite children you could wish to meet, and they left us with a lovely memory

Neth. Antilles & St. Maarten currency

by BROOKS

All the wonderful immigrants from all over the Caribbean islands. Many come here for economic reasons. They are paid much higher on jobs here than their native islands. Everyone loves to have fun and the weather is warm and sunny 365 days a year-even during hurricane season. The food on the French side is delicious as well as the nightlife. The shopping is more trendy and chic. I know, because I spent over $2,000 on unnecessary items and cash advances. The Dutch side has many eateries, a few clubs, and all the casinos. Many of the casinos are walk-in. I'd never known that until I visited SXM. Queen Juliana Airport is on the Dutch side. Departure tax is $30 USD each time you leave the island by airplane 9not fond of this at all).

Pack light !

by eenelfje

A suitcase or a backpack whatever you like, its staying at your hotel anyway.
Take a daypack for your beach and swimming wear. Light linnen clothes. Jeans. Sandals. Flipflops. Beachwear. Everything you like in a warm humid climate. (People in St. Maarten dress whatever they like, sporty, classy etc.)

Bring some nice clothes for going out. Just your usual toiletries. But you can buy everything there at the supermarkets also so no need to bring everything along.

But buy a good mosquito repellent !
Or buy a "anti bite" at the local drug store.

I myself didnt use a mosquito repellent (it smells !) So I just let the mosquitos bite and immediately put some "anti bite" I bought there at the local drugstore on it and I didnt have a rash or big bumps at all ! So that worked better for me. You can buy everything there its just a little bit more expensive than at home maybe.

I even develloped my photofilms there ! (I couldnt wait to come home) Thats also good and they charge you normally. (The photoshop at backstreet)

Wander around

by eenelfje

Just hire a care and explore the island by yourself. You´ll drive around the island in about 2 hours without stopping, so it isnt that big. But with a car it gives you the opportunity to see the whole island, the inland, all the more secluded beaches etc.

Comments