Sint Maarten Hotels

• Bunununu profile photo Bunununu
  • Reviews: 30

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Oyster Bay Resort: I'd give it 3 1/2 stars

This resort is located on the Eastern side of the island on Dawn Beach, which is on the Dutch side of the island. It's a very nice resort with a view of St Barts from the fantastic infinity pool. Oyster bay is a small community with ample restaurants and other activities and Oyster Bay Resort is arguably the nicest resort on the bay. On the negative side, it is very remotely located and the drive to the populated side is not the most pleasant experience. During our stay the electricity went out several times. Fortunately, we were in a section that had a backup generator that come on during outages but other large sections of the resort either had no generator or it wasn't working. Otherwise, the service was good and all the amenities were good. It is a good family resort. I would recommend this resort if you want a quiet place away from the hussle and bustle. But if you want to be in the center of things choose a resort closer to Simson Bay.

The infinity pool is awesome.

• Written July 17, 2011

The infinity pool with St Barts in the distance

• shohman profile photo shohman
  • Reviews: 660

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sea Palace: great location, lousy staff.

This is mainly a time share hotel, although they do rent out if the rooms aren't booked. We were given a week here as a wedding gift. While the location is great, right on the beach and boardwalk in downtown Philipsburg, the hotel is a bit on the run down side especially the bathrooms which a badly in need of renovation. The rooms is big and has a full fridge and microwave plus a stove. This comes in handy because eating out is expensive and there is a market about 1/2 mile away.
When we got there, our cable tv didn't work and the bidet on the bathroom was leaking (and quite nasty looking) We informed the front desk and the maintenance man walked up to us. When I mentioned the bidet leaking he said "yup, it's old" :/ It took almost 2 days for the tv to be fixed.
The biggest complaint is the front desk. They need a serious lesson in customer service. When we arrived we didn't even get a hello. Just a blank stare. Then the next morning we wanted to try a restaurant we were told about. We asked the man at the front desk where Hendricks street was and he shrugged. We mentioned the name of the restaurant and he shrugged again. How about a map? He fished one out and we looked it up. It was literally a 2 minute walk from the hotel. Seriously, if the staff doesn't know that a fairly main street is that close, perhaps you should find new staff.

One nice thing is the beach is just outside the hotel. They have free chairs and umbrellas for guests and you can grab towels from the front desk. The beach is small and the water is perfect and the beach was empty almost every time we went there.

• Written May 16, 2011

• hydrox42 profile photo hydrox42

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Saphire Beach Club: Not Recommended

If you are not guaranteed an ocean front room - don't go. We had a 2br/2bath condo overlooking the "lagoon". The room was ill-furnished, no chairs. Just one very uncomfortable couch. Small eating bar with bar stool type seats. The refrigerator didn't work properly, the dishwasher didn't drain completely and the TV was off-line more than on. Even though we advised the front desk several times of the problems, nothing was ever done in the two weeks we were there. As for the local personnel - not helpful, seemed disinterested, never smiled. I felt like they were doing us a favor just being there. We did get a quick look at one of the ocean front rooms which appeared to be better furnished. However, I still will not recommend this facility. Location is ok.

Swimming pool was relatively small. Pool chairs were poorly maintained and I never did see anyone vac. the pool in two weeks.

There is NO Beach there!!

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Seniors, Spa and Resort, Family Travel
  • Written March 23, 2009

• lauriesoileau profile photo lauriesoileau

Grand Case Beach Club: Wonderful Hotel- Grand Case Beach

Resort-like, on the water, pristine views, staff excellence, great bed, everything most travelers are looking for, plus a great value in low season. I usually choose a privately run small hotel around the $80-150 range. I want something free for breakfast, great local atmosphere, great location, and interesting people. This place is a gem. Here's the actual letter I've just e-mailed to the hotel two days after returning home:

Dear Kate,

I want to express to you my appreciation for all you've done for me through my dealings with you at Grand Case Beach Club (GCBC).

I forgot to give you the comment survey upon leaving the island, so I"m hoping you'll fill out one with all the highest possible marks for me and be certain to pass this letter on to whom it concerns. I will come directly back to GCBC in the future and, despite the fact that I am committed to variety in my lodgings.

Our lovely room, the setting with pristine garden and bay views at once, the bed, the hammocks, all perfect. It was very, very clean and well-maintained in every nook and cranny. The bed and linens afforded us by far the best sleep during our entire vacation. Beyond that, we were thrilled with the friendliness, helpfulness and skill of every staff person we came into contact with, even those we barely said "bonjour" to. The two beaches just steps from our room offer everything we could want in watersports and relaxation for not only ourselves but for my children, had they been with us. Mine our teenagers now, but even if they were still very young I would be confident of their safety and absolute pleasure there. That has always been of utmost importance to me when traveling.

The fellow working at the watersports kiosk was exceptionally helpul, kind and as patient with my french language skils as you yourself were. We arranged kitesurfing at Orient Baie through him quickly and easily.

To my great delight, your open-air Sunset Grille cafe was set perched directly over the bay, affording me relaxation and the best setting to write in my culinary travel journal. It is always so nice when a continental breakfast is included in the rates, but yours gets extra points from me for starting with the perfect cup of strong french coffee, even more delectable than all the great island coffee I'd been served; this and fesh-squeezed orange juice, just-off-thebalery-truck baguettes, and extra pains au chocolate, the choolate stll warm from the bakery oven, within an already extremely reasonable room rate. Too generous. Say bonjour and merci to Chantal for me.

And as for you, Kate, not only were you the perfect example of professionalism, but you went our of your way to ensure our happiness and peace of mind before and during our chaotic vacation visit. I had presented you with a difficult situation once my friend's passport was delayed. You responded to my emails and phone calls immediately and made it easy to switch days even on the very evening we were supposed to arrive. This was, in fact, great peace of mind as I called you from the San Juan airport, watching my tiny cessna plane readying to take me over the ocean on a dark night. Worse yet, we never showed up on the new date due to our travel and communication problems. When I finally was able to contact you again, you sent me a voucher for two nights' stay to enable us to get our money's worth from the stay.

During all this, you never once allowed us to feel stupid for our mistakes and poor communication, or that we had made your work difficult. After all that you could have given us the least of rooms, but the one you offered us was wonderful. You also made certain we felt welcome to drop our belongings at the desk and get right to the beach to maximize our time there.

What you don't already know is that I had to make a difficult decision during this trip to come to the St. Martin alone due to my friend's passport delay. In ways I can't explain, that decision was one very important to our relationship and to my own sense of confidence and independence. Some of us take more years than others to learn how to take care of ourselves. Up until our arrival at GCBC, everything had gone chaotically. From the moment we arrived at your desk to the last few moments saying goodbye to St. Martin, all was well, we were at peace, and we felt it was a fantastic vacation. And I truly believe I have you (yes, and the rest of the staff) to thank for that.

Best regards,
Laurie

Wonderful views of the bay from what was considered "just garden view." Gorgeous gardens with carefully maintained bougainvilla and mandevilla, lovely rooms. Huge patio with metal accordion "room dividers" that could enclose the entire patio if you wished. Upon entering your room you're treated to Putamayo island music cds playing on your stereo. Great channel surfing should you want that (who wants that in an island paradise?) Exceptional service, staff friendliness and expertise. Great rates- $170/ night low season, includes breakfast. If you rise early as I do you can greet the baker as he lifts bags of baguettes and boxes of croissants off the truck in time for breakfast perched over the bay in an open-air restaurant. Best coffee of the trip (mind you, made the way the french an italians like it), with a pitcher of real cream. A block from the best little island joint in Grand Case- Calmo's. Also a block from the gastronomic capitol of the caribbean, a strip of fantastic restaurants. Low season does bring the service in those places down several notches. Wonderful little kitchenette outfitted with truly great cookware. Nothing special about the smallish bathroom but it had all the right amenities and good water pressure.

• Related to: Beaches, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Budget Travel
  • Written July 21, 2008

• Irina80 profile photo Irina80
  • Reviews: 30

studios for rent: Studios on Orient Beach

I found a pretty good deal on the french side of St Martin on Orient beach, for such location I think it's a great value and the studios are very lovely and clean with nice design, paid $90 per night in the summer. It's former Mont Vernon hotel where studios have been sold out to people and now it's a nice community with security on site 24 hours, good pool and steps to Orient beach, the quiet side of it. The studios have everything one might need, great place and great owners, two brothers, very friendly and helpful. I loved loved staying there!

everything was simply great

• Related to: Beaches, Water Sports, Budget Travel
  • Written July 15, 2008

former Mont Vernon hotel

• JonnyVT profile photo JonnyVT
  • Reviews: 23

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Marquis Hotel: A Honeymooner's Paradise!

The Hotel Le Marquis is a tucked away gem located on the French side of St. Martin. It overlooks a wonderful bay in Anse Marcel which offers a access to a private beach. If peace and tranquility is what you are looking for than this is the hotel for you. What truly made this stay memorable, was the helpfulness of the staff. The hotel is spotless, the view from balcony, a good size balcony, is gorgeous. The room was very spacious with king size bed, in huge room, with sitting area. The doors from room open to beautiful balcony. The hotel offers a great breakfast every morning on the deck overlooking the water. Upon arrival at hotel there was a nice fruit offering, champagne and water.

The hotel is situated on top of a hill and difficult to get to unless one has a car. Most visitors should rent a car if they plan to explore the whole island. The staff is available at all times to transport one to the beach and back. It is a beautiful area, away from the casino's and "busy" part of the island but a short distance to the best restaurants and beaches.

I recommend this hotel.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Luxury Travel
  • Written May 29, 2008

• ILUVSXM profile photo ILUVSXM

Grand case Beach Club: Great Hotel and Location

It is very hard to find a phone on the island that accepts the phone cards. Try Sharon Harris she rents pre paid cell phones at a very reasonable price. This is her website

The hotel is small compared to the other hotels on the island, but it is a hidden Gem. The staff is very friendly and the hotel is in a gated property. The beach is very nice and the restaurant is fantastic!!! The hotel is on restaurant row and you can walk from the hotel.

The whole experience

• Written April 13, 2008

• jenn_d profile photo jenn_d
  • Reviews: 293

Westin St. Martin: Newest Resort

We didn't stay here but spent time at the spa and the casino. The resort opened in December of 2006 and is the nicest hotel on the island. It is tucked away in an upscale neighborhood. At $400 a night one can understand why we chose to rent a house instead. It plays frequent host to conferences. The entire facility is smoke free!

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Written April 10, 2008

hotel overlooking the beach

• jenn_d profile photo jenn_d
  • Reviews: 293

Villa La Brise: Among the finest on the Island

We still don't know how we managed to score such a fantastic villa at a rate for less than that of a fine hotel. I searched on VRBO and found this property. We asked for the off season rate and they gave it to us. We had a party of 6 and it just made more sense to rent a villa then book 2-3 hotel rooms. We were less than a 5 minute walk down hill to the beach. Our view was terrific!

The house had 3 bedrooms and a private guest house. We had daily maid service and access to a concierge. The

• Related to: Beaches, Family Travel
  • Written April 10, 2008

• TheTravelSlut profile photo TheTravelSlut
  • Reviews: 277

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Club Orient-French side of St. Martin: Club Orient, not your usual beachfront rentals

I did not spend a night here but spent most of my day touring the property, inside the public areas, shopping on site, inside the rooms and chatting with guests and staff and I got a real feel for the complex--and it was all good.

Make no mistake about it--this is a nude resort although it may also be clothing optional.

The "homes" or guesthouses combine Caribbean simplicity with European luxury.

There is a full-service wellness center /spa on site (bring a credit card-no room charges interestingly) and an activities desk with everything from bus tours & nude cruises to pub crawls by boat, snorkeling, horseback riding, non-motorized watersports, diving, fishing, boating, wine & cheese parties, vow renewals, and whatever you desire.

I found all staff to be both relaxed & friendly and the resort itself to be welcoming and warm.

I had lunch at Papagayo, the on-site, beachfront restaurant and was wonderfully pleased with both food & wine.

I spoke with several people & they all were pleased with the resort & I can see why. I will be back as soon as I can fit it into my travel schedule.

Info on Orient Beach itself is located in my other tips within Sint Maarten.

Club Orient consists of "homes" or "bungalows" scattered throughout a secluded tip of Orient Beach (more on Orient Beach in my other tips).

There are 137 spacious ocean front or garden units with each sleeping 3-7 guests. Every home has a full kitchen & dining room, A/C, phone/internet, full bathrom with tub or shower, picnic tables & beach chairs, front & back patios, outdoor shower and a complimentary bottle of Bordeaux wine. I checked out two of them & found them to be very nice.

Each room is either only steps or a minute or two walking distance to the au naturale beach.

Room rates are seasonal and low ranges are from (Euros) $125 for a studio & mini-suite to $170 for a deluxe mini-suite, $185 for a garden chalet, $195 for a beach chalet, $210 for a waterfront chalet & $600-1,000 for villas.

St Maarten itself is interesting enough on 8.5 hours from Paris, 4 hrs of New York and 2.5 hours from Miami. Also, Orient Beach is 1.5 miles long at the base of mountains and is protected by a barrier reef on a protected marine preserve.

• Related to: Beaches, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Spa and Resort
  • Written January 25, 2008
Tip Photo

No doubts when you arrive at the "nude beach"

• highlandsunsets profile photo highlandsunsets

Divi Little Bay Resort: Best Timeshare in Sint Maarten

This is a wonderful resort that has all amenities right on site. Of all the Caribbean destinations we have been to, we would recommend this one hands down. Great beach, water sports on site, snorkeling from your beach, three pools, three restaurants, and rooms that are decorated perfectly. It even has a great spa right on the property.

Being located on it's own peninsula adds to the beauty. Plus, a wonderful breeze blows throught the property making the temperatures much more bearable than other spots on the island.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Spa and Resort, Beaches, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written September 24, 2007

• Geisha_Girl profile photo Geisha_Girl
  • Reviews: 765

Bob's Villas: See Bob the Villa Guy

Although there are plenty of hotels and all-inclusive resorts to choose from on St. Maarten, we found that we got the best value for our money by renting a 3-bedroom 3-bath beach villa from Bob's Villas.

In our international travels, we have always preferred staying in the self-catered homes over staying in hotels. When there's a big group of us, it makes more sense to stay in a house where there's more room and more comfort.
Plus we always love that feeling of staying in quaint neighborhoods as opposed to the touristic locations.

We definitely made the right choice in St. Maarten, as the home we selected was right on its own private beach.....quiet neighborhood yet very close to all the nighttime venues we frequented.

There was nothing better than waking up to that smell of fresh coffee brewing and sipping and lounging on our terrace with our GORGEOUS view while wearing nothing but our skivvies. ;-)

In researching our options for places to stay, there were several villa rental companies on St. Maarten to choose from. We selected Bob's Villas for both location and the reasonable prices he offered. We narrowed down our choices to a place that was on the beach and near lots of activities, and Bob provided that for us.

We were very pleased with the accommodations, and Bob was a terrific host and landlord for us. He left us with all the pertinent phone numbers of any of the contacts we needed. He even had a guy, Chevor, who was the resident "handyman" and lived just a few houses down. When we experienced the typical island fuse blowout (too many women in the house = too many hair dryers on!), or temporary island power outages, Chevor was always there to rescue us. Bob even provided us the information for the best island massuse----A Czech woman by the name of Paulina----who, for $50USD per hour, provided massages for us right in the comfort of our sunlit deck.

Even before we arrived, Bob provided us with all the island information we needed---from weather reports, to transportation advice, and took care of us all througout our stay.

Bob is a native Bostonian who transplanted himself to St. Maarten several years ago and has made his living as a "Rock Star Impersonator." He performs live in several venues on the island and hosts a knockout Karaoke Extravaganza every Friday night at the Maho Sonest Resort in Maho Bay. Naturally, we became Bob's instant groupies! ;-)

• Written September 3, 2007

The Living Room

• evilprebil profile photo evilprebil
  • Reviews: 259

Beach Plaza Hotel: French Side accomodation

Very nice hotel on the French side. Front desk was helpful, room was clean & comfortable. The view from the front was not pretty (junkyard) though you could see the mountains! Not a bad price and within (reasonable, with good shoes) walking distance of dowtown Marigot. There was a very lovely pool, and breakfast was suitable. We had a free drink with our reservation, but didn't take advantage of it. For a large hotel, it was charming, decorated in French impressionist paintings. I would definitely stay here again.

The pool looks over the bay which is great. There is a little spit of beach along the resort as well, but not if that's the only reason you're coming to St. Martin.

• Related to: Women's Travel, Singles
  • Written August 31, 2007
Tip Photo

• misodiva profile photo misodiva
  • Reviews: 84

Orient Bay Hotel: Nudist resort

I did not stay the night, but toured the grounds and looked at the facilities.

Has great beach facilities with umbrella and two chairs for $18 day rental fee. Most of the chairs were already reserved. The day parking in their lot was $20, whereas the parking on the beach was free, so we skipped that.

Everyone is naked on the beach, the average age is about 50. Some 40s, mostly 50s-60s. No 20s that I could see. Water is amazing and beautiful. Great beach bar with happy hour from 1230-130pm. Drinks don't taste great, but your not there fore the drinks.

The hotel is more like a campground as it consists of lots of duplex cottages. There is a main lobby with lots of activies posted and a grocery store/soviener shop. So you can stay naked and do your shopping. It is clothing optional, but only a few people had on clothes. I did not see all of the resort or eat at their restaurant. The rates vary depending on the time of year a great deal, but the lowest rate I saw was about $150 a night.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Beaches
  • Written March 28, 2007

• kathymay1 profile photo kathymay1

Divi Little Bay: Great place on Great Bay

We traded our Aruba Timeshare for Divi Little Bay. Very nice place in a good location. It's near all the action but quiet and seperate. If you want a hotel the Sonesta Great Bay has a good beach also and is right on the edge of town and near all the action of Phillipsburg. People are very nice but there are LOTS of cars on a few roads. The food is very good on the French side as well as on the Dutch side. The Greenhouse was very good.

Several pools, tow had very nice views from the pool! Great Bay on one side of the property and Little Bay on the other. Very nice beach.

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Beaches, Kayaking