115 Welfare Road, Cole Bay, , 3035, Caribbean
Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

More about Royal Palm Beach Resort

Best for the Bucks!

The Royal Palm Beach Club resort is a vacation spot worth visiting. The airy and well-appointed condos overlook the glistening pool bar and the spectacular beauty of Simpson Bay that's surrounded by the azure-colored Caribbean. A charming restaurant, palm-shaded beach, and many onsite amenities, including a deli/grocery store, beauty salon, Internet cafe and other shops, make this resort a one-stop-fits all. If all this isn't enough to pique your (vacation) appetite, then the tantalizing tastes and smells of the many unique and delectable eating spots that surround the Royal Palm definitely will do the trick. Casinos abound or dancing til... Just 15 minutes from the French side of the island guarantees that you'll experience the best of two uniquely different worlds. As Royal Palm's staff always tells its owners and visitors, "Welcome home!"

A "second" home

I just returned from a four-week stay at the Royal Palm Beach Club. I am a timeshare owner and this was my 14th visit. Although the resort is in the midst of a major renovation,(the 2nd one that I have experienced there)however it presented no problems for me or my guests. Check-in was smooth accompanied by a warm welcome from the front desk staff. Security officers and other personnel were friendly and extremely helpful. Housekeeping staff went out of their way to assure my comfort, and I DO appreciate it. The unit was clean, the new lobby is very attractive; and the new beach lounges and umbrellas were a welcome sight, and the landscaping is greatly improved. I look forward to returning in 2007 in anticipation of seeing the finished refurbishment.

Another wonderful experience in paradise!

by TripAdvisor Member seeyouinsxm

Great place! Just got back after spending 10 days in St Martin. The front desk at the Royal Palm was very helpful in getting us a private end unit on the top floor. The views and the sunsets were incredible. The rooms were spotless and the maid service was excellent. These are complete condo units with full kitchens, two bedrooms and two baths. The living room wall slides open and you can sit there soaking in the sights. The units are a little dated but who can fault being right on the ocean on one side and the lagoon on the other side. You are within walking distance of many fine restaurants. Tutta Pasta in the Del Lago Plaza by the marina is an excellent and inexpensive restaurant. The nearby casinos are kind of small. Every day you get to watch the yatchs as they come in the channel next to the Royal Palm. On the lagoon side you can see all of the yachts. Plenty of on site parking if you decide to get a rental car. Tropicana rentacar was $210 for 7 days and was a brand new car. There is a pool with a swim up bar. It is also right on the beach. There are several other beaches close by and are very easy to drive to. You have to check out Sunset Beach Bar and watch the planes come and go. Can't wait for next year!

Royal Palms Resort in St. Maartin--good experience

by TripAdvisor Member jan317

Just came back from a week at a friends time share at the Royal Palms Resort in St. Maartin. Thought the time share was very good. The location is excellent. Great views of the ocean. Close to the airport. Pool and poolside bar, internet cafe, gym. Lots of nice restaurants within walking distance of Royal Palms: Rics's Place, The Wharf, the Boathouse all good.
Would return there again.

Royal Palm is anything but Royal

by TripAdvisor Member woottong

DON'T GO THERE.......or at least not while there is building work going on. That is why there are 'special offers' at the moment. There is MASSIVE building works that no matter where you are staying at the Royal Palm, you will not be able to avoid. The drilling (they seem to be taking up the tiles on all the walkways) starts between 8am - 9am and goes on ALL day, finishing 5 ish.
I was first put in the room right next to where they happened to be drilling that day, I asked to move - which in fairness they did move me. It was not long before I realised there was no getting away from the noise. If you are looking for a little bit of carribean peace this is a not the place to stay.
I agree with a previous comment, it might be called the friendly island, but I found the locals an extremely unfriendly bunch. This was my second visit and now I am convinced that St. Maarten does not like tourists - it just needs them.

Yes and no

Let me preface this with, my wife and I are not what I consider picky travelers, we have traveled quite a bit over the years and do expect certain things, which is why me might consider the Royal Palm, a bit of a negative experience coupled with the fact that we were in St Maarten about 15 years ago and had one of the best vacations that we have ever had. Where we stayed then, was blown away by the hurricanes in the 90's, it was at Mullet Bay.
Check in was a bit muddled due to the construction they have going on, they had no one out front to greet us and a board ramp going into the resort and no signs or directions on where to go, they had temporarily moved the desk to the 2nd floor.
This is a 6 floor resort with one working elevator most of the week and workmen filling the lobby with drop cloths and so we had to take our luggage upstairs and finally got an elevator.
The girls at the desk acted very rudely, were short and would ignore you and talk to each other while you were trying to talk to them and pretty much acted this way all week. So finally we go to our room.
The room was fine, not anything special but all the rooms at the resort do face the ocean with a balcony which is a big plus, everything worked and we were very content with the room. We went back down and did meet a customer service rep who gave us an information pack that was a bit lacking and set up an appointment with another one on Monday at the sister resort Flamingo Beach.
The rest of the week went fine the girls at the desk never got any better but the aquamania girl was super and very helpful in booking snorkels and any other kind of trip that you wished. Very friendly and very nice.
The bar staff was friendly and helpful and the beach guy was nice once you got him started talking. The drinks were fine and reasonable.
The beach is very pretty, but very rocky and shelly and quite an adventure to get in and out of because of a drop off. We love the beach and the water so we endured and swam and sat on the beach. It would be nice if they had more permanent huts on the beach, as you know a certain few people are prone to put their towels on the few they have and leave them all day and be there for an hour or two. the pool seemed nice but we are not much for sitting by the pool if they have a beach and an ocean so I cannot comment much on that.
The water was not as clear, part of this could be due to the fact they have had 3 hurricanes in the area this month, in fact all three of them were still going on in some capacity while we were there. The other part is you are right by a marina where lots of boat traffic may keep the water a bit stirred up.The water was clearer at Mullet bay I noticed and also on the snorkel that we took at Prickly Pear. As I said we are not to particular so that was fine.
The real plus to the Royal Palm is location you are maybe 10 minutes from the Airport and within walking distance of the marina (quite a walk), but very reasonable walking to some of the most marvelous restaurants that I have eaten at. Let me suggest the Wharf restaurant, the food is terrific, the service is outstanding. also Halseys the food is terrific and the service is outstanding. The Boat House the food is good, the service is so so, but it is a very hyped and busy restaurant. The Dolphin Casino was very nice to us if you like to gamble.
We had wonderful time on the snorkel, we had wonderful time on a little lagoon trip we took out of Lady C's and we took a Tango cruise which was fantastic.
Driving is an adventure, we only rented a car the last two days so we would not have to wait to go the airport and would have something to do as check out is at 10 and our flight was until 3 something.
The airport flying out on Saturday is a nightmare I will not go into detail about it, but imagine 3-4,000 people all flying out at the same time in a place no bigger than a really good sized high school gym, with one working air conditioner.
We loved our trip, we would have to think about the Royal Palm again, St Maarten is a really nice vacation for anyone.
John

Pleasant, relaxed atmosphere......

This was our second trip to St. Maarten and we stayed at The Royal Palm both times. We had such a wonderfully joyous time the first time there that it was a no brainer in making the decision to come back. We enjoyed the comforts of The Royal Palm so much that we are looking in to buying a timeshare, so hopefully we can return every year. The island itself is fabulous, from Simpson Bay to Maho Bay, Orient Beach and the Butterfly Farm (which is my favorite). The whole atmosphere of the island is RRR (another personal favorite :D). Royal Palm is convenient, you can walk to restaurants, there are a few casinos that are within a few minutes drive, the airport is a hop skip jump. I like the fact that you can see the larger planes taking off each day and they fly right over Simpson Bay. The views of he ocean are fabulous and I love to see the large yachts come through the channel next to the RP to dock in the bay each evening..... If you would like an extremely nice place to stay, with nice people and no pressures to do anything, this is the place.... we love it!

A Decent Place To Stay

by TripAdvisor Member Inshirence

The Royal Palm has it's good points and it's not-so-good points. We stayed there using a relative's timeshare and were pretty happy with our experience overall. There is a nice pool, very family-friendly, and a quaint little beach with gently-lapping, crystal-clear water. The environment is very relaxed, bright and friendly. The beach itself is not so great, strewn with rocks, pebbles, and bits of shell, with packed sand. However, the view makes up for it- especially if you appreciate sailboats and busy harbors. There is a poolside restaurant which we did not eat at, but which we certainly smelled. The aroma of barbeque annoyingly wafts up into all of the rooms, and you'll be hard-pressed to go a single day without the stong odor of grilled chicken filling your unit. The cleaning staff does an adequate job, and despite the dirty grout and a mildewed ceiling tile we noticed, the bathroom was okay. They must have finished the renovations I read about earlier. There is a bar which has not yet opened but it looks pretty nice, located adjacent to the staircase above the hotel's entrance. The shops outside overcharge slightly but the gift shop and food store have everything you need. The location of the hotel is sort of busy- there is industry nearby (a treatment plant/factory eyesore across the channel)and some loud construction across the beach, where a cliff is being terraced to build a road. As far as the bedrooms are concerned, we discovered a semi-hard mattress with amazingly soft, high-thread-count sheets. Go figure. But despite these faults, the resort is a peaceful, genuinely relaxing place, with great views. Even though we don't have kids, it appears super kid-friendly. Also, the people at the front desk were polite and helpful- they corrected a billing problem fairly and quickly. Don't expect too much stress in that department. Anyway, for families looking for a decent, inexpensive place to stay with all the amenities and restaurants they need close by, I would easily recommend this spot. My advice- wake up in the morning, cross the Dutch Bridge and go to the French Bakery, pick up some croissants, come back to your room and wake everyone up for breakfast, open the sliding windows and let the tradewinds sweep into the room, read the newspaper, then pack the family up in your rental car and go to Orient Beach across the island for the day. Come back, shower, and relax.

Sunterra Royal Palm don't go there

by TripAdvisor Member Norwegian45

We traded our Marriott time share for the Royal Palm, what a mistake! Prior to our trip to the Royal Palm, I had read several reviews about the unhelpful and rude staff at the Royal Palm. I figured it was just some rude folks that were being treated as they had treated the staff. Sadly that is not the case, it seems everyone that I encounted at the Royal Palm had a bad attitude. It was like they did not want me there, no smiles, no helpful hints it was terrible. I really feel like I wasted my week time share with Marriott on this bad experience. The only nice people I met were the luggage handlers, great attitude. Everyone else treated the guests like they were a burden. I will never go back. Please feel free to email me at sighommeland@sbcglobal.net and I will give you a blow by blow on this experience.

I Love this Place!

The Royal Palm is the only place I want to stay at in St. Maarten. I have no idea what the other person wrote about the staff, but I find them extremely accomodating, pleasant & helpful at all times. NEVER in my four times I stayed here was anyone rude. I find all guests & staff very friendly and helpful at all times. I wouldn't recommend this place to my best enemy, I want it for myself and promote it at all times whenever I recomend St. Maarten, which probably hurts my chances of being here! Wonderfully located for the best of both worlds, quiet & exciting! LOVE YOU ROYAL PALM!

Liz in front of the Emerald PrincessLiz in front of the Emerald Princess

Unsweetened Iced TeasUnsweetened Iced Teas

Wow!Wow!

Liz and I on the PierLiz and I on the Pier

Travelling alone st martin

by ali239

Hi
I am having 3 days in Saint Martin travelling on my own. My plan is to hire a car for 2 day and explore. Does anyone have any advice on the best/cheapest people to hire from, or nice places to stay?

Also I wanted advice from people who've been there as to how safe I am going out after dark on my own, not to paty, but see the towns at night and have dinner etc. Just a bit more wary as I am a single female.

Thanks for your help
Alison

by ljbs

I rented a car from Avis and was quite pleased. But I wasn't pleased with the driving--roads are well maintained, but hilly, narrow, winding and horribly congested. The road builders haven't kept up with the tourist boom.

I can't recommend a cheap place to stay because the place where I stayed quite happily is, I think, pretty expensive. I got it as a time share trade from RCI. It's the Sapphire Beach Hotel which is on the Atlantic coast on the Dutch side, just south of the border with the French side.

If you like beaches as much as I do you'll probably find exploring them (calmer on the Caribbean side than on the Atlantic) worth the aggravation of the traffic.

Don't miss the butterfly farm which, if I remember right, is near Orient Bay.

I walked around at night with another woman and we didn't feel at all threatened.

by batchy2

I stayed at a place called Villa Belle Mer at Orient Beach http://www.villabellemer.com You should be careful when going around at night. As long as you stay in the crowded areas and don't walk around alone, you will be okay. Just follow good sense as you would anywhere.

by pscert

I frequent travel alone to Sint Maarten and have never had a problem. Just be cautious as you would traveling anywhere. I usually stay in downtown Philipsburg. The Sea View is right on the beach and is less expensive than the other hotels. Also, if you're looking for very inexpensive but still centrally located, try the Joshua Rose Guest House on Back Street. Very clean and nice people, too. I'm staying there mid-April and am paying $50/nt. I have never rented a car so I can't help you there.

by jtsiv

Car rental is reasonable and I would advise it, excellent to really see the island. The above posts are correct as to safety, the only thing I would add is your car may not be safe. At the busier parking lots someone will ask you for money to watch your car and ours had graffiti scratched in the fender when we returned, I should have payed the extortion fee.

Comments