Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino

Tags

Beaches Casino and Gambling
See Amenities

What a disaster

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 16, 2009

I have never had a hotel attempt to treat me so poorly. The resort sells around 5 room categories all at different prices, plus a few suites. I had reserved the highest priced room category- the premier ocean view. When I checked in, I was given a room that had obvious damage to the hall right outside the door, had a door to the connecting room that neither closed nor locked, and a door to the main hallway that had a broken dead bolt, and no extra chain or other cross over lock. Unfortunately I did not notice both lock issues at the same time so I had multiple run ins with the front desk. For the connecting door, the front desk refused to contact maintenance until they first checked the lock. And upon seeing it the exact words said to me were "Oh you check that?" Upon seeing an ajar connecting door is there anyone that wouldn't is my question? Although I check regardless. I was exhausted. It was 9:30 pm, I had been up since 4 am traveling and had no desire to wait on maintenance and asked for a new one. I was told there was not one available. I asked for an upgrade and was told no. Maintenance did come and "fix" the door, by figuring out some way to jam it so that it would never open again, not by actually fixing either of the real issues.

After they left I noticed that the main hallway door also had a broken lock. I called in a maintenance request, waited 45 minutes, called again, waited 30 minutes and than went to the front desk. Where I only got a maintenance man because he was sitting at the desk. On the way back to the room upon hearing my room number he told me that they knew the door was broken and couldn't fix it. He checked it anyway and confirmed that. He caleld the front desk to inform them and they said that I had to stay in that room anyway. I packed and went to the front desk where they used every excuse not to move me- no more rooms in the category and we don't want you to lose the view by downgrading you (as if view is more important than safety), no upgrades available, I volunteered for a downgrade at a discount for one night and was again given the line about the view. A line I heard from multiple personnel so it is obviously a well practices excuse. They even tried to claim that the room category I had booked was obviously an upgrade that I had already been given free of charge so they couldn't upgrade me again. Wrong it is the room category that I picked off their reservation site and booked at the available rate. It was near midnight by this point and it was not until I finally stopped being polite and started to yell that they miraculously found an upgrade.

Amazingly enough I would say to beware of anything on their top floor. The suite I was given, supposedly a penthouse, looked out over some water treatment or storage tanks. The balcony was useless because the tanks reaked. They however try to sell that room as a bay view, which it has if you look over the tanks. You need a key card to enter that floor from the elevator. Of the three elevators in the hotel 1 reader did not work the entire time I was there. The other two sometimes worked, sometimes didn't and at one point none of them worked, making it impossible to access the floor.

The condition of the room also left something to be desired as there were numerous stains on the floors, walls and ceiling. Two nights I had no water pressure when I went to shower. There were a few others where I had cold water only.

Beware of security too. They tried to tell me that no one could access my original room because they didn't hand out key cards without proof of identification. Yet my card needed to be recoded numerous times during the stay. I offered proof of ID and they turned it away needing only a last name to recode it. So anyone that hears your name and knows your room number can get the card coded.

Oh and for those booking ocean view, keep in mind that this is view only and not ocean front. There is another shorter building that appears to be time shares between Sonesta and the ocean. Your view of the ocean is first the pool, than the building, than the ocean.

Unique Quality: Extremely close to the airport and the beach is a popular tourist destination for watching planes arrive and depart. Can get noisy at times as a result. Only 2 planes per day were large enough that I could smell diesel fuel.

There are numerous restaurants immediately outside the front door making the AI option a waste of money.

Directions: Turn left out of the airport, less than a mile away.

Nearby Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino

• Spa
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Sint Maarten Travel Forum

Need advice about Sint Maarten, Netherlands Antilles? Visit the Travel Forum for Sint Maarten and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Sint Maarten hotel reviews

Taxis
Souvenir Tees
Caribbean Trends
Shopping
Jewelry, Watches, Porcelain and more....
Duty-Free Shops
Outdoor dining, friendly service
Banana boat
Diamonds Galore
Shopping
I Want Some Baby Back Ribs!
Blue thumb, GreenHouse.