Wyndham Sapphire Beach Club & Resort

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Wyndham Sapphire Beach Club & Resort

There is nothing wrong with the Sapphire Beach Club

by TripAdvisor Member linnie

My husband and I recently returned from the Sapphire Beach Club and had a wonderful time. I am not sure what everyone is complaining about. We treated everyone with respect and got the same in return. The staff responded to our every request. We had a few roaches (they sprayed and that was the end of it). The housekeeping was fantastic...I was careful to empty the dishwasher so they wouldn't have to do that. There were plenty of towels everyday and in our 10 night stay the bed was changed twice. As for the pool/beach towels they were available everyday from 9 AM until 5 PM. Everywhere we went we felt safe. I did however see a lot of "ugly Americans". These people need to stay home and stop giving the rest of us a bad name!We went to Anguilla on the Bluebeard III, it was a fantastic day. The beach in Anguilla was the most beautiful I have ever seen...and I have been to many islands. The lunch served was excellent and the staff on the boat coundn't have been nicer...we also went on the sailboat..Random Winds...another fabulous day...Eddie and Maz seemed liked old friends..her quiche was the best. We plan to go back to St Maarten in 2004 and would not hesitate to stay at the Sapphire Beach..

Highly Recommend Sapphire Beach Club & Resort

Visited in early April. It just goes to show that you can not believe everything you read. Prior to our trip, we read the reviews posted on this site and we were prepared for problems. Boy, were we pleasantly surprised! We had a spacious, very clean room with a gorgeous view of Saba. All the help was very pleasant and accomodating. The activities desk gave us great dining and recreational suggestions. The pool was nice, the drinks were great and there was entertainment some evening. The resort's beach is almost non-existent, but you can swim right there. Not a big problem since you are so close to so many great beaches. Also, only 15 minutes from the airport and 5 minutes to Mullet Bay. We'd go back in a heart beat. Enjoy!

Beautiful resort

by TripAdvisor Member Tylerkad

The Sapphire Beach Club is ideally situated on beautiful Cupecoy Beach and located at the border in the exclusive Terres Basse area. The resort is beautiful with a private beach and private jacuzzis on all oceanview balconies. I have traveled there quite often. In reviewing other travelers posts, I must admit I have never found any problems with security (there are always 3 security guards on patrol in the evening and gated parking) especially come home late at night.The hotel is very active and allows you to enjoy St. Maarten to the fullest. The resort has all the conveniences one can imagine.The only problem I can recognize is the indifference of the staff at times, especially if the guests come off rude and obnoxious. Unfortunately, there are many of us that are not properly respectful to others. Most staff usually can tolerate such behavior however it doesn't seem like that is the case at the Sapphire Beach. That is the only reason I am not giving 5 stars.Otherwise the units are quite luxurious decked out in tile, marble, and granite. The two balconies of most suites is extraordinary.
In particular I love to fully collapse the ocean view sliding doors and the lagoon balcony to experience the warm tradewinds.There are also beautiful sunset views on the property and the sandstone cliffs that enshroud the private beach give a sense of isolation in natures most wonderful playground.

Consider Staying in the Cupecoy Bay area

My family spent a most enjoyable week April 8 - 15 in St. Maarten / St.
Martin. We stayed at the Wyndam Sapphire Beach Club & were very pleased with the physical condition of the facilty & the pleasant, helpful attitude of most of the staff we met. On a few occasions everthing was not quite up to American standards; but we go to the Caribbean for the "lay back atmosphere". Rhonda at the Activities Desk & Brown on the Reception Desk were both extremely pleasant and helpful. Our 1 BR apt was spacious & nicely decorated. One balcony faced the pool with a beautiful view of the Caribbean in the background; the seond balcony faced Simpson Lagoon. All of this with a full kitchen & large living room with a queen fold out bed: in addition to a separate bedroom: for the price of a hotel room made this very good value. There were several diverse beaches within a short drive. Cupecoy Bay is a 10 minute drive to Marigot, where the shopping & restaurants were outstanding; & 7 minutes drive to the airport. Renting a car is a requirement if you want to see enough of the island to get a feel for the French & the Dutch sides. Both sides were great! Try lunch at Sunset Beach Cafe at Grand Case Beach, located in an attractive hotel complex on the Atlantic. We spent a very enjoyable day on the Bluebeard lll, a well equiped catamarran with a wonderful all South African crew, sailing to Prickly Pear Island: snorkling,sunning, sailing, drinking beer & rum punch and a delicious cookout on Prickly Pear. Another exciting experience was racing on one of the 12 meter America's Cup boats(original boats) out of Bobbie's Marinia in Phillipsburg. Shopping in both Capital Cities is excellent; designer jewelry & clothes at significant savings. st. Maarten is wonderful; we plan to return & stay at Sapphire Beach Clubin the near future.

Heinous

by TripAdvisor Member cresine

Somebody get the crime scene tape and surround this place with it!!!This resort has gone from one of the best on the island to the "hotel california"! What a pit! The management (if that's what you could call them) are incompetent and beyond rude. The staff is indifferent and surly, sometimes downright confrontational.The resort is in terrible need of repair and maintainence and has become bug and roach infested. The manager is a liar and could care less about the state of the resort or the myriad of complaints he gets daily from dissatisfied guests. If you are unfortunate enough to own at timeshare at this resort, Good luck! People are regularly robbed, cars stolen, etc. right in front of the hotel....so much for the security. You may as well go straight to the police because the management will do nothing for you, they won't even make the call for you! Stay anywhere else!

The best vacation ever!!

Just returned (sadly) from a week in a Villa at the Sapphire Beach. I had read some of the bad reviews and I was prepared for the worst. Surprise. It was absolutely wonderful. The people of St. Maarten are truely the nicest. We had a great, large Villa for four of us with a private pool overlooking the crashing waves of the Carribean. Great maid service. Clean.A large portion (we found) of the clientele are older so if you're looking for a swinging place this might not be it. But really how much time are you spending at the resort when you have this incredible island at your fingertips?The only problem that we had was that the air conditioning in the second bedroom didn't work well for a large part of the week. Finally they realized that the compressor needed freon. But...it absolutely didn't spoil our wonderful week and I look forward to a return anytime the opportunity arises.

Certainly not a normal Wyndham

After arriving a day late due to problems with US air we finally got to the hotel to find a dirty room which was leaking and not what we were confirmed for. The front desk told us there was nothing they could do.
After an hour on the phone wiht management they finally switched us to a room with no Air Conditioning in half of the suite. This brings me to the staff, the front desk staff is OK not great not bad, Rhonda the activities lady is good when she is there. Unfortuantly we got to know the maintenence staff very well they were very nice and very appreciative of a little tip. When we needed sheets for a cot, housekeeping simply handed us sheets and told us to make the bed. The towel lady is obnoxious and does not give out clean towels. Our room was dirty with an unpleasant odor. The pool is nice although the bar is bad and over priced 3 dollars for OJ and 4 dollars for 2 small pancakes. Make sure you stay in the 3rd building or the Second Building as it appears thye have been redone and the jacuzzis there are not full of sand and sewage. The beach is tiny and there are no chairs because it is so small the chairs my float away. As for security the guys were nice but the protection is awful, we needed a cab and the gurad said he would leave and drive us, ,nice gesture but not very secure. Overall stay away its not worth the money unless you get the 81 dollar rate, nothing goes on there and it is mostly and older crowd so if you are young there is not much of anythign exciting to do. NOt a normal wyndham.

The old managers were infinitely better

We have been owners for 10+ years and loved every visit until the last 2 years. This year, the last week of November, we had water for 24 hours after we checked in, no english TV until 4 days later [same thing happened last year]. The desk staff said it was an area problem althouugh friends next door at the Beach Club did not have the problem.
We also found a dirty non-working jucuzzi in the unit, green algae on the pool walls,air conditioning that didn't work for 2 days. The desk staff is not helpful and they don't tell the truth. Wyndham management has not been a beneficial addition.

Still Love the Sapphire

We have owned at the Sapphire since 1995. Over the years, things have changed but I wouldn't say it should be condemned. We heard negative things about it before we went last year and went with an open mind.
Our rooms were still clean. Curtains/bedspreads need to be replaced and some of the appliances had a few minor problems. These are items that are used 365 days a year by many different people and I'm sure not all individuals treat them as they would their own property. The pool was clean and we had absolutely no problem with staff. We took our small pup for the first time and we had a great time with her.

Granted, it needs a coat of paint and hopefully these things are going to be done. I found more problems with some of the guests at the Sapphire being rude to the staff, therefore if you're treated poorly, you may get the same attitude back. Some residents want to be treated like kings and queens. I was actually embarrassed for the way some people acted towards the staff.

Sometimes you need to be firm with staff on what you want but you don't have to be rude or ignorant. We're not visiting this year but will be there for three weeks next year and again are looking forward to our stay.

Gets worse every year!!!!!!!!!!

We bought our unit in 1997 and it has not been upgraded since. This year I am totallydisgusted and the condition of the unit is unacceptable. RCI should re-evaluate the 'Gold Crown' status. The wirlpool was filthy and we wouldn't step in it. The sink was clogged, the airconditioner was broken, the curtains and bedspreads are so old and faded they are pittiful. The walls are stained from previous water damage...basically, I would have been embarrassed to have brought friends along. The management is full of excuses and we will be following up with them with the photos I took.

Liz walking around St. MaartenLiz walking around St. Maarten

My NachosMy Nachos

Liz and I on the water taxiLiz and I on the water taxi

Beautiful IslandBeautiful Island

taxi prices and water taxi advice

by shebie226

hi how long does the water taxi take from the cruise terminalto wathey street pier?

How much would a taxi from cruise terminal to maho beach?

Re: taxi prices and water taxi advice

by TheTravelSlut

From the cruise to the pier it was USD $9.00 for an all day pass and for 1-2 passengers to Maho it was $18 one-way.

I have a transportation tip on my St. Martin pages and a photo of the taxi fare board.

Re: taxi prices and water taxi advice

by TheTravelSlut

Correction on my last reply.

It was about 10 minutes on the water taxi from cruise pier to Wathey street pier and it was $5 for an all-day adult bracelet and children were free.

Sorry.