John F Kennedy Blvd, Willemstad, Curacao, Caribbean

Costs 31% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Hilton Curacao

Just got Back

by TripAdvisor Member Jmpserve

I just got back from a week at the Hilton Curacao (June 18-June25th). Overall the stay was OK. The grounds, are really nice, great beach and the pool was very refreshing and relaxing. Not alot of people staying at the hotel. The dive service at the hotel was very good. Clark, the divemaster was very helpful and took us on some nice dives. Water was 80 deg C and about 60 ft vis, except for the wreck, it was about 40 ft. and not much to look at. The hotel staff was (except for the front desk) was not very friendly. The waitress staff at the beach bar really need some lessons on how to be nice to the guests. They very rarely would come out to the pool to serve drinks, you would have to go to the bar and order. Archie works hard and is the best of the bunch. They never smile and you have to ask them to serve you. The main bar, wasn't much better. The bar tenders cannot multitask. A simple "i'll be right with you" would have been nice. They are suppose to be putting $5.5 million into the hotel. I would wait until they are completed before going to the hotel. We went to the Marriott next door and the staff is 100% more friendly and courtious. Don't even bother with the casino. The Mariott casino is nicer, but very small.

The food in the resturaunts are marginal at best. Spend the extra money for a rent-a-car and go to the town and eat. It's only a 10 minute drive and the food is much better. The Grill KIng was good. Fort Nassaue has a nice view, but not worth the money. Better places to eat in town. Go to a grocery store when you get there and buy your bottled water and beer. The hotel charges about $4.00 us for a small bottle of water or beer.

loved the Lanais apartments

by TripAdvisor Member Alma

As we have every time in the past we had a wonderful time at Lanais. The food at the main resort (Hilton) was not too good. We had a portable BBQ so we cooked on our patio probably 7 of our 14 days we were there. Hooks Hut was great, we ate there twice. We also took advantage of the beach buffets offered at the Marriot next door. It's a great location to have a meal on the beach w/ entertainment, a great place to watch the sunset Also Porafino is a great italian restaurant at the Marriot. Great service and great food. We also like their casino much more than the Hilton, it's a short walk through the foot path, very easy and secure. Any questions can be e-mailed to me and I will be happy to try and answer. over all Curacao is still my favorite vacation spot in the Caribbean, It's all that Aruba has to offer, but much less americanized, I feel I get more of a true Carribean island experience.

Spa to get much needed upgrade

by TripAdvisor Member Cardeeni

We just returned from a wonderful week in Curacao. Most of the reviews on this site are pretty accurate. The breakfast buffett was good but the coffee/tea service was bad to non-existent on some days. We had a honeymooners couples massage which was advertised to be 50 minutes with champagne. It was 40 minutes and we got sparkling apple juice...no champagne. The manager said the spa is going to be completely renovated and then outsource. That is good as it needs both. The beach was beautiful and clean. The pool was beautiful and clean. Staff was friendly. Room service was timely. View was incredible. Hot water is plentiful except when hotel is full. Dive shop personnel very knowledgeable and helpful. Front desk and bell service was very good and friendly.

All in all, a great place but will definitely benefit from continued improvement.

Need of renovations!

by TripAdvisor Member D05

I stayed at the Hilton from April 30th to May 9th. I arrived at the Hilton at 4:00 pm and my room was still not ready. About an hour later, the room was finally ready. My room was on the first floor overlooking roofs. It was in desperate need of renovations and had a nasty odor. I asked to change rooms and the front desk told me to check back in the morning. The next morning, I went to the front desk again to request a non-smoking room on a higher floor. I was told that there was someone checking out of an oceanfront room on the 5th floor that day. They informed me that it would be $23 extra a day and I agreed to it. I told the front desk that I would be out of the hotel all afternoon and had my bags packed so they could just move my stuff to the new room when it was ready. When I arrived back at the hotel late in the afternoon, I stopped at the front desk to get my new keys. They informed me that they already put someone else in the room I was supposed to be moved to. They told me to check back again the next day. I told them to forget it because I wanted to unpack some of my stuff. I was sick of getting the runaround.
The hotel overall was ok. It was very outdated though. The beach was small but nice. I did have problems with the Dutch moving my belongs off of chairs and taking my chairs on the beach. The staff at the dive shop(Seascape) were great. I cannot say enough good things about them. My boyfriend did 13 dives while we were there and really enjoyed using Seascape.
We never ate at any of the restaurants at the hotel. We had a rental car so we went elsewhere. Willemstad was a short ride away but everything closed early (5 or 6). We ate several times at the Waterfront Terrace and enjoyed that. Grill King was our favorite.
We drove the whole island in one day. Also, we visited some of the other beaches and did some snorkling. Overall, Curacao is a nice island.

Was pretty good

by TripAdvisor Member jpasmore42

After looking at the options for Floris, The Marriot or the Hilton I would have to say the Hilton is a good choice. The Marriot is a nicer hotel with better food, but you can simply walk next door if that's what you're interested in. The Floris Suite Hotel looks really relaxed and great probably for two people who want to spend lots of time together -- romantic, but not on the beach. The Hilton was less expensive than the Marriot and ultimately you want to rent a car and really see the island. A taxi into Willemstad is $10 and those add up, and taking a taxi to one of the nicer beaches doesn't make sense. The island isn't overly resorty and with oil as a major industry you will get the smell from refinery on certan days. Very good diving (cheaper on the beaches as opposed to hotel), but a good trip if you've done the usual suspects in the Islands.

Last week of May

We just spent 6 days at the Hilton during the last week of May 2004. I have to say, I was a bit disappointed in the class of the hotel, I expected a bit more from a Hilton. We definitely had a wonderful time with the dive shop and the experienced dive masters, which if you're going for diving, as we were, it is well worth it. The dive and stay package was a fantastic find, and we're glad we did it that way.
The area was quite dead at the time we went for night life, etc...(both the hilton and the marriott next door). The island/beach was great, but we recommend you travel in groups when going into town for dinner at night if you choose to do so. Overall, we give it a 6-7 out of 10.

Nice place to stay

Spent the first two weeks of June, 2004 at the Curacao Hilton. The Hilton has one of the nicest beaches on the island. It was very hot there and we only had a twenty minute rain shower the whole time. The wind blew all the time which was nice to cool you, but hard to dive with 5 foot waves. The dive places will only go a short distance from their dock because of the rough conditions. If you want to dive at both ends of the island, rent a car and drive to the other end. Car rental was about 45 dollars a day but you could save that much by going else where to eat. Food was expensive as everyone else has said. Hooks Hut was a good place to eat, but there were two other places further down the same road that were reasonable. The furthest place was a fish place that was only open for lunch. The other place had a blackboard menu and had awesome food. The red snapper with rice/beans and plantain was on 12 dollars. The supermarket is close to the airport and was a good source for snacks as they were costly at the Hilton. Two other places to eat were the market in downtown Williamstead $8, and the little bakery down the street from McDonalds. The bread is baked fresh every morning and the subs were great.

The Hilton food was ok, but over priced. Again, service is really slow and the bill will never be delivered in a timely manner. The hotel was clean and well guarded with safes in the room. Everyone was very polite. Happy hour was 6-7 with drinks for half price and free appetizers if you ask for them. Wednesday night before happy hour they have free food and drinks in the lobby.

It was worth it to rent a car as taxis were expensive and you could save that much by buying your food else where. We rented ours at the hotel and saved 10 percent surcharge that the airport charges.

Don't expect a hot shower at the Hilton, but it will be very clean with a gorgeous beach!

Very Happy with Hilton, last week in May 2004

We had been to Curacao once before & stayed way out of town at Captain Don's Habitat. We wanted to stay closer to town this time for nightlife, so were deciding between the Hilton & the Marriott. The Hilton was $30/night less so we chose it after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor :) and were very pleased with the property. The claims of no hot water were over blown. No it's not scaulding hot, but it's far more than just warm. It is an older property ( use to be a Sheraton ), but the rooms are large, kept very clean, and the furnishings are good and aren't that old or don't appear to be. After visiting the Marriott's beach, we liked the Hilton's better. The Hilton's Casino seemed more friendly to us though the Marriott's is more glittery. If you're looking for $300 / night quality and service you find in various resorts, you'll likely be disappointed in either of the hotels. But for this price range on a very beautiful island, the Hilton was great in our opinion. The food is expensive on the island - unless you eat fast food. If you dive, it's worth the 15 minute drive to dive with Easy Divers at the Habitat resort. They are friendly, reasonably priced, and have a great shore dive right off their docks. There is an old plantation on the main road you take to Easy divers ( 1/2 mile past the turnoff ) which is definitely worth eating at for a nice meal. I don't remember the name, but it's very good and reasonbly priced for a chef quality dinner. They'll know the name at Easy Divers.

We'll be back to the Hilton and Easy Divers next time we go to Curacao......

Hilton was Great

by TripAdvisor Member Medic_5

Just returned from 5 nights (spent another 3 at Habitat). Hilton was supposedly remodeling. The grounds are in great shape with lush foliage and plants. Once some of the new palm trees grow in it will be only better. The beach was great and since it was low season there were huts and shade available any time of the day. The staff was polite and the rooms great (ours overlooked the ocean/pool). The pool was very nice and the second beach (towards the Marriott was undiscovered). I only did 1 shore dive here and the reef is nice but can't compare to the house reef at Habitat. The dive staff were wonderful.

The only construction that I could see was the finalization of a new outside kitchen near the beach and some work in the spa. Basically you would not know that rooms were being refurbished. Our room had new furniture, bed, etc. The bathroom was nice but not super plush.

Restaurants were pricey but we had the included breakfast buffet which was great. Service on the beach was adequate, a waitress came around every 45 minutes or so for drink orders. The casino is attached to the hotel but you would not know it was there if you were not looking for it.

The casino did not thrill me as many locals were there (no problem with the locals but the vacation atmosphere was missing) and it was smokey. The casino next door at the Marriott while about 1/2 the size of the Hilton was nicer, cleaner and frequented by vacationers. The only issue was at 10 at night of a Friday there were only 20 of us in the casino.

Front Desk Staff

On our arrival at the hotel the front desk staff was fabalous. Although check in was at 3p.m. and we arrived early, they got the room prepared and allowed us an early check-in. They went the extra mile to ensure we were comfortable. The night prior to our checkout, the operator went out of her way to ensure we were confirmed on our flight since we heard of flight problems with DCA. Thank you for making our stay heavenly.

Comments