Hospedaje La Libertad

Calle la Libertad, Granada, 1000, Nicaragua

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Granada

Casa de los Tres MundosCasa de los Tres Mundos

pealing of cacao beanspealing of cacao beans

ferry from Moyagalpa to San Jorgeferry from Moyagalpa to San Jorge

Granada, Calle AtravesadaGranada, Calle Atravesada

Bus and Hostel inquiries

by lindaellerbee

I'm spending 2 weeks in Grecia, Costa Rica and will be taking a bus to Granada afterwards. Problem is I'm not sure if it's possible to go directly there. Would I need to pass through Managua? Any advice on making this trip is greatly appreciated! If it matters at all, I'm a little white female solo backpacker with very little along the lines of an "itinerary" as I'm highly spontaneous..

Also I've done a good bit of research on hostels (including numerous VT pages) in Granada but am quite indecisive. Any recommendations/experiences? This is my first major solo trip and I'm excited!

Thanks!

by lindaellerbee

Never mind on the bus info, I hadn't realized a post I made a month ago had replies. What a noob.. :)

Still, experiences with and recommendations for hotels/hostels geared towards a backpacker's budget would be excellent.

by bleary747

Granada is a great place, it is easy to get a bus from Costa Rica Comes right to Granada. The best place to stay is Casa San Francisco, it is inexpensive and the best deal in town, food is great too. Have fun

by casamb

hi there!

Just got back a month ago...stayed at Hostel Oasis...$8.00 for dorm...comfortable beds, good lockers (but only 4 common bathrooms) only breakfast is served...good location. There's great cheap tipico place less than a block called QueRube's, buffet style, excellent food! Hostel Oasis also has a plunge pool inside, very refreshing and clean. Free internet too! (not an important thing to me but is for some travelers) The hostel is also very western which could be a plus for some and a negative for others.

If you have the time...go to Laguna de Apoyo!!! I stayed overnight at the Crater's Edge...they run a shuttle to and from the laguna out of the Oasis...you can do just a day trip...use the internet phone down the street to call for overnight avail and ask for Ann, the owner...WONDERFUL!!! Has dorms or private rooms...great meals, some of the best of my trip!

hope this helps...i can't wait to go back to Nic!! safe travels

Travel Tips for Granada

people

by rosequartzlover1

In Granada,like any other city in the world ,that has many street vendors walking towards you and try to sell their things.I found that people here are not that hard and not pushing us much,That is what I feel,but somebody may think that it's pushing and irritating(yes, I will feel irritating as well if they push too much)but in Granada I just smile back at them and said "no thank you " . Of course they all tried to ask one more time and I still smile sweetly to them and said the same, and all will get it and walk away.By doing just a good manner to them will not hurt both sides.There was a young man aged around 16-17 I guess,we met him everyday and he tried to sell his pottery to me every time seeing me.He knew I won't buy it,because I told him already that my bag is too small to carry such a thing,but we become like friends,we just say hello ,talk a bit.One night at Calle la Calzada he showed some games for us,he has some talent.In the mean time some other vendors gathering our table to see his show.They all tried to sell things to us as well but they sell too much the same thing.I told them to sell some other thing that smaller and make it more variety.My boy heard this ,and immediately ran somewhere just to bring some small bracelet to me.Again ,my heart melt,so I bought a bracelet from him finally.He look so tired ,so we bought some coke for him that night.I'm telling you this story because even this is a small thing but it's still in my mind and he is one of a person that I will remember as a friend from Nicaragua.It's a pity that I forgot his name ,if anybody should meet him,can you ask his name for me?Thank you very much.

Vigoron

by nyceagle1633

If you go to Granada and don't go to Parque Central and get some Vigoron, you didn't go to Granada then. Go to 1 of the 3 kiosks located at the corners of Parque Central and order Vigoron with ensalada. It is Yuca on a banana leaf with deep friend pork skin and salad in vinager. It is excellent and cheap.

Hot and Humid

by Beast

I love bringing a small back pack for carrying the many different things I might want with me for spur of the moment or "emergencies": water, aspirin, something to soothe my stomach if upset, etc...water, camera, gifts that I buy, etc. This way my hands are always free. good tennis shoes are perfect for this trip. If you plan to hike on trails it would be helpful to have a pair of hiking boots, especially during the months of May, October, November and December. It can be muddy then. It is always warm in Granada and humid. Dress the way you prefer to under such conditions. Loose cotten stuff and shorts are very acceptable just about anywhere there. Nights can be cooler. Night clubs and fine dinning establishments would prefer to see their foreign guest dressed at least, nice casual. Granada has anything you might need so you don't need to bring your whole medicine chest. Bring the important stuff, you know better then I what you need, and leave the rest behind knowing you can get it in Granada. Most prescripcion drugs in the States can be purchased over the counter in Nicaragua. I have found nothing more potent in reversing an upset stomach, either because of bacteria, stress of changed environment or whatever the reason, then pure honey. I am not talking about the honey you pick up in the grocery store. You need to get unpastuerized honey. Lots of health food stores in the States sell it. Get a small bottle of it and bring it with you. It makes any other medication, over the counter or prescription, look like candy compared to pennicillin in fighting an infection. Sometimes an over the counter med is needed to get diarreah under control, but the honey can work sinergistically with any med without a counterindicatory action. Asprin/Ibruprophen are standard travel companions of mine. As long as you don't plan on leaving your stuff unattended bring whatever you like to shoot with. Nicaragua is like one of the most beautiful man or woman in the world...its hard to take a bad photo here. The better the equipment the better the shot. Camera equipment and supplies are readily available in Granada. Mosquito repellant and whatever else you like to bring when camping. Just remember its hot most of the year around. Can rain like you've never seen befor in May, October through December.

Catarina

by mircaskirca

At the crossroads of Los Pueblos Blancos, just a short walk from the neighbouring San Juan de Oriente, is the town of Catarina. The town is mainly known for its mirador (lookout point) which is a favourite weekend hangout for both national and foreign tourists. The panoramic view is considered to be one of the best in Nicaragua, stretching for miles across the Laguna de Apoyo, Ganada and out into Lake Nicaragua. The mirador is complete with a few restaurants and a small artisan market. There is a small entrance fee to the viewpoint. According to legend, this viewpoint was one of young Augusto Sandino’s favourite places to contemplate decisions.

Catarina is also known for its fertile soil. By strolling through the town you will find an increasing number of nurseries blooming with colourful tropical flowers, including different types of orchids, palms, cactus, jasmines… Along with basket weaving and woodcarving artisans, Catarina invites visitors with its small-town charm. Set among quaint and clean winding streets and old adobe homes, the town seems to have been preserved in time. The lush vegetation that decoratively lines the sides of the roads offers shade. People seat in the park or door stoops watching life pass by, contributing to the relaxing and lazy feel of the town.

Granada,bus to Volcan Masaya

by rosequartzlover1

To go to Volcan Masaya we can go by 2 options 1.by tour company which is Tierra tour and Nahual on Call La Calzada.That's the easy way that many tourists do.2.Go by yourself,take the chicken bus from bus station (the one before arriving mercado )or take mini bus from one corner of park central(you'll see them clearly ,they park along the road side) I took a mini bus from park central ,they are the bus that heading to Managua.The bus was nearly full at the moment,when we got on the bus ,it's just completely full,and look like they will leave when full ,no exact schedule to tell you,I can say that I never wait so long at all for any bus ride on this trip ,everywhere.The bus fee to Masaya is 20 c.d per person, not that expensive than the chicken bus.It's up to each preference that you like to have more room on chicken bus but can be slow if they stop along the way too much.Or sit little tight,shoulder to shoulder on minibus with somebody standing and leaning their butt on your shouder : ) no no....it's not always like that.How fast they drive ?..It's about the same ,this time I noticed that sometime chicken bus drive like crazy,very fast.For myslef I don't mind to take both kind of bus,it depends, which one come first.

Comments