Hotel Granada

Final Calle La Calzada, Granada, Nicaragua
Hotel Granada
Booking.com Expedia.com Tingo.com

More about Granada

Kilambé organic coffeeKilambé organic coffee

Solentiname naive paintingSolentiname naive painting

Granada, La CalzadaGranada, La Calzada

On the way up to the cross.On the way up to the cross.

Flights from Atlanta

by hhudson88

I cannot find a flight from Atlanta, GA to Granada, Nicaragua. Which airlines flies there? Does one have to fly into a different city first?

Re: Flights from Atlanta

by jacquisuiza

Managua’s airport is about 1 hour by car from Granada. As far as I know, but I never saw it, don’t know if it really exist, there is just a small airstrip in Granada, no international flights landing there.

Re: Flights from Atlanta

by rllankford

Delta goes direct to Managua. Granada is a secondary ciy about 50KM from Managua. Look up the El Almendro Hotel in Managua.

Good Luck, Robert L.

Travel Tips for Granada

Banks

by paradisedreamer

You basically have to carry a lot of cash in Nicaragua, not all hotels take travellers checks and out of the cities there are very few banks. It is a long process to change travellers cheques as they check each number and will phone American Express and check they are valid etc. The best thing to do is to have an ATM card and draw when you are in the city and have a credit card for emergencies.

Get a Hair Cut

by nyceagle1633

Go to any of the local barber shops for the great experience of a cut and shave. Both typically cost the same, about 30 to 40 cordobas (under 2 USD) and with a tip at the end, the total you spend should be 100 cordobas, thus under 5 dollars. It is TRULY worth it obviously. It is deep rooted in Nica culture, the barbershop.

The unfamiliar Granada

by Assenczo

Some features are to be hidden from the potential visitors but to be totally objective one has to see "everything", even the less pleasant realities of daily life. Well, one of them is that the beef the ignorant tourist eats might have come from a cow like these ones that have just eaten from the sewer where the tourist or his kin have just relieved themselves. Full circle depicted in a very visual manner.

Taxi for Getting Around

by gdilieto

One of the most convenient ways to get around outside Granada is to hire a taxi by the hour. I visited Masaya, Volcan Masaya, the Pueblos Blancos and Laguna de Apoyo by negotiating a hourly rate with a taxi driver who would take me around at my convenience. At time of my visit, in Sep 2007, a hourly rate of USD 10- was pretty much the standard accepted by reliable taxi drivers. I negotiated a "package" with the taxi driver who picked me up at the airport (pick up arranged by the hotel), at a rate of USD 8- per hour with the commitment of the business of transportation back to the airport the day I would leave (USD 35- standard flat rate). If you are not on a too-tight budget, hiring a taxi by the hour is a convenient and reliable way to explore the area.

Granada - Big Corn Island by Shuttle Van and Plane

by mircaskirca

I needed to be at the airport at 5am to catch the 6:15am flight from Managua to Big Corn Island. I used Paxeos shuttle service on my arrival to Nicaragua (to get from Managua airport to Granada). Since I was very satisfied with their service I used them again. I arranged the transportation in their office at Parque Central next to the Catedral, one day prior my trip. It was 15 US $ (December 2010). The driver picked me up at 4am on Calle La Calzada, in front of Hospedaje Café Ruíz where I was staying.

The fastest and most convenient option to reach the Corn Islands is to take the plane. La Costeña has two daily flights from Managua to Big Corn Island, usually once in the morning and again in early to mid afternoon. The flight takes about 1,5 hours. Sometimes there is a short stop in Bluefields (in my case it was both times). You will be flying on either a 12 seat dual prop plane or the bigger plane with up to 46 seats. There is a weight limit for the plane so be careful about how much luggage you bring. They weight each passenger with their luggage before boarding.

La Costena has online booking (www.lacostena.com.ni). Alternatively, you can book in a travel agency at Parque Central in Granada. I heard about the cases that people with the ticket could not get on the plane because too many tickets were sold for the same flight. Boris from La Siesta suggested to get to the airport as soon as possible and try to purchase ticket there. Not all the passenger book in advance so in most cases there are a few places left. Just in case, a few days before my flight I also made a reservation via e-mail. The best person to contact is Julio Caballero who speaks perfect English. His e-mail address is: jcaballero@lacostena.com.ni. Though from my experience, they did not accept such reservation. But anyway, I could arrange everything right at the airport. The cost of a round trip ticket was 164 US $ with a tax (December 2010). They accept VISA, Mastercard and US dollars. I got an open return ticket. That means I could choose the return date as long as there was room on the plane.

On my return to Managua the driver from Paxeos was waiting for me at the airport. Shuttle van to Granada was 18 US $.

Comments