In front of Parque Central, Granada, 11111, Nicaragua
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Hotels.com

More about Hotel Plaza Colon

Beautiful, Comfortable, and Reasonable

by TripAdvisor Member laspenitascasa

We visit Nicaragua 2-3 times a year to see family and stay at our beach house in Las Penitas. However, this was my first time to Granada and I was so pleasantly surprised. A clean, well appointed hotel that maintains the architectual integrity of this colonial city and a very accomodating staff that surpassed my spoiled American expectations.

reservation disaster

by TripAdvisor Member urieltouring

the hotel managament really needs to set some type of reservation protocal. since the hotel is in a small country with a sometime faulty telephone infrasture. you may want to double check your reservation. when staying at the hotel.our problem began went we tried to change accomodations during our stay to the suite since my wife's sister was going to be joining us this time. we already had reservation but were only trying to change the room. during my conversation with the front desk staff we were cut off before I could give him our credit card number, which I thought was odd since I had already given this info when making the original reservations. when i tried to call back several times I got no answer. so the next morning i call back to finish the transaction. thats when i was informed that the room had been sold that night. I was in shock ,you would figure that if the staff are in the middle of a transaction and the line go's dead that you would at least be given some type of priority until they had heard from me. since we already had reservation. instead the GM- Maria Canton contacted us after we canceled our reservations to offer us a 20% discount on our stay. Instead we dicided to stay at the hotel Dario. we told Mr. Mejia our problem and he went out of his way to accommodate us. our first vist to Hotel Colon was ok (screaming children at 7:00am by the pool not to mention that the same party also had a dog that also was using the pool as a urinenal) we figured that we would give them a 2nd chance but after this fiasco we will not be staying there again when visting my mother.

Great front-desk clerks

by TripAdvisor Member TexasTwin

We stayed for just one night. Our first room had no windows. The bellman was very accomodating and helped get us a new room within minutes. The front desk clerk was also helpful with every request, directions, etc. The rooms are large and very clean. It was very quiet during our stay. We enjoyed the Enoteca Wine Bar right off the front lobby of the hotel. I would stay here again when visiting Granada.

We had no reservation problems because our room was booked by a local person in Nica

Great street entertainment!

by TripAdvisor Member IrisCanada

My partner and I were happy to secure the requested second floor room facing the plaza and loved watching the antics of 'plaza' vendors while sharing a quiet glass of wine. The room was clean, although there were problems with water ie, sometimes there was none and 'hot' would be an exaggeration. Staff was efficient and friendly. The pool experience on several occasions was less than enjoyable due to noisy frolicking children. The solutions used to clean the rooms leaves a odor which we find unpleasant; the odor is universal in establishments in Nicaragua. While drinking the best coffee we have had on our trip seated in the hotel's sidewalk cafe we were bombarded relentlessly by street children begging and hassling us for money..a tiresome annoyance.

nica street life

by TripAdvisor Member airmiles1

we have just come back from nicaragua and can not praise it enough
we loved this hotel we had a room over looking the park and was able to sit on our rocking chairs with our beers watching the street life.
we had decided to treat ourselves to this hotel as we had been travelling around costa rica and nicaragua in more basic places this was a great treat for us.
rooms were huge,ac and fan, great bathroom although i dont think you can get hat water in nicaragua!
hotel staff were fab too
would recommend this hotel for position and street life

pleasant and charming experience! A true Colonial restoration!

by TripAdvisor Member MTCca

We were on a property development tour called "Choose Nicaragua" by Coldwell Bankers... We were put up here by them and it was a pleasant and charming experience. The staff are very helpful and the waiters go above and beyond with there service!!!
The rooms are clean and comfortable. The street life is fantastic as well..Your right on the Center plaza. And Fresh Cigars just down the street!

I loved our time here!

by TripAdvisor Member CharmingTaurus

My husband and I are foreigners living in Nicaragua (Managua).
A friend of ours recommended us to try Hotel Plaza Colon some time, so we decided to go to Granada on my birthday for a 3 days romantic get away and stayed at the Plaza Colon.
All I can say it's that our time there was truly charming. They have these rooms upstairs (very clean, neat and comfortable) with nice balconies and a wonderful view of the city plaza that
made our time there even more delightful than we had initially expected.
The overall beauty of the hotel, the friendliness of the staff, and, surprisingly, an uninterrupted supply of power despite the energy shortage the country has been undergoing for some time, definitely made of our getaway a lovely experience to be repeated.
We absolutely recommend this hotel.

Great location - memorable experience

by TripAdvisor Member wiger1

We stayed in this hotel with a beautiful balcony view of Parque Colon. Overall, this is great hotel in a terrific location and was a very nice experience. Like everywhere, there are always opportunities for improvement. So, I will breakdown the pluses and minuses based on our experience. Pluses: location - you can walk to many highlight attractions and/or take a horse drawn carriage from right outside the front door; the hotel is very clean, safe and our room was modern and very spacious; there is a nice wine bar and coffee shop next door on either side - both with outdoor seating. Minuses - hot water availability is inconsistent (but this is an issue throughout Nicaragua); some staff were great, some were somewhat indifferent; the complimentary breakfast is very basic and will probably disappoint some. Most days, we went to the coffee shop next door for breakfast which was very good. The power did go out one time during our stay (which is also not uncommon in Nicaragua), but it seems like they have a back-up generator, as it was back on within seconds. Overall, a very good hotel and would recommend without hesitation.

Plaza Colon - Very Comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member hey_spaz

We just got back from Granada and stayed a total of four nights at the Plaza Colon. We had one of the rooms with a balcony overlooking the plaza, a great seat to see the flow of the town.

I will echo others' comments about the staff - they were all very attentive and helpful. Freddy at the front desk made arrangements for us to visit several places, gave us directions and recommendations, and made it easy to leave our rental car in front of the hotel for a couple of days while we went to Ometepe.

Very good Internet access is available... my only complaint is that there is no coffee available anywhere in the hotel before breakfast is served at 7AM. They gotta fix that!

cacao paste to make chocolate barcacao paste to make chocolate bar

interior gardeninterior garden

ferry from San Jorge to Isla de Ometepeferry from San Jorge to Isla de Ometepe

See how close we can approach the rimSee how close we can approach the rim

Comments