Hotel el Almirante

Calle Corrales 111, 1/2 cuadra de la Ferreteria Datisa al lago, Granada, Nicaragua

BEST WESTERN El Almirante
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

• Nice, clean, and quiet

We stayed in Granada for a weekend last month and chose the new hotel El Almirante, just a few blocks north of central park. We really enjoyed our stay, starting from the friendly staff to how clean everything was. The comfort level was just right, the room ahd everything you needed to, and the pool area was nice to relax after a stroll in the city. You can reach the historic center of the city walking, and even to enjoy the night life you can walk.
    For breakfast they offer both continental breakfast as well as local dishes, which is what we chose. We also tried the restaurant once for dinner and liked it - my husband went for a grill meets platter while I had fish.

Unique Quality: Besides the fact that everything is new and clean it was also very quiet at night even though we were in the city. My husband was impressed by the eco friendly amenities they had, includiung a solar system for water heater. Other travelers we met during our trip in granada had problems with hot water in their hotels, we did not.

Directions: historic center of Granada

More about Granada

model filled with cacao pastemodel filled with cacao paste

colonial time furniturecolonial time furniture

landing on Big Corn Islandlanding on Big Corn Island

lots of fume nowlots of fume now

airport transfer

by candifleet

Is there a shuttle service that goes from MGA to Granada. If not, how do I arrange for a cab and what is the cost?

RE: airport transfer

by pr333

I know there is a shuttle service from Granada to Managua that costs about 15USD so there should be one going to Granada as well. Unfortunately, I can't remember which company it was with. You can take a cab and it will cost about 30USD (ride is 45-1hr). I arranged my cab through the volunteer organization I was with, but I'm sure you can just take a cab that's at the airport - make sure to confirm price beforehand! There are also buses that will take you pretty much near the centre of town. Hope this helps and enjoy Granada!

Travel Tips for Granada

Cocibolca

by isolanthui

Cocibolca (the traditional name for the Lake Nicaragua), 8264 square kilometers (surpassed in Latin America only by Lake Titicaca in Bolivia).
Surface altitude: 31 mteres above sea level.
Dimensions: 160 kilometers by 60 kilometers.

ON A BICYCLE

by Sininen

A common sight was to see many people on one bike. The most I saw was a husband riding, wife sitting on the bar holding a baby and a daughter on the back. I don't know how they manage to ahndle the bicycle in sometimes very busy traffic, but I didn't see any accidents.

San Juan de Oriente

by mircaskirca

Pueblos Blancos (white villages) is a region formed from several charming little villages that sit in the hills south of Masaya. These villages got their name from their white colonial style churches and occasional white casitas with colourful doors and windows. Each town is known for different handicraft, from pottery, bamboo furniture, rocking chairs and leather work. Visiting the pueblos is an easy day trip from Masaya, as well as from Granada or Managua.

A 30-minute bus ride from Granada is a colourful village of San Juan de Oriente, famous for its pottery. The main entrance of the town is marked by a series of colourful souvenir shops with little chimes hanging outside, where different kind of fascinating clay art is exhibited. As you explore the town you will see houses filled with pottery as well as what seems to be little shops where the ceramics is made. Today approximately 85% of the population is involved in this important tradition, either processing the clay, turning, decorating or firing the potttery, and marketing. The excellence of San Juan de Oriente pottery has gained worldwide recognition and a visit of one of the humble workshops is a rewarding experience for any lover of ceramics.

Transfers

by paradisedreamer

Oro travel does city tours as well as private transfers. We got a trasnfer to San Jorge where the boats leave for Moyogalpa on Ometepe for $35 (about 1.5 hour drive).
Calle Corrales, next door to Casa San Francisco around the corner from Convento y Iglesia San Francisco
www.orotravel.com

From Granada to Los Pueblos Blancos

by MalenaN

I took a bus from Granada to Catarina. It was one of those slow buses stopping everywhere, so it took one hour to reach Catarina, the first village I visited during my daytrip. The bus was 10 cordobas (July 2009). From where I was dropped there was a walk of about 1km through the village to the Mirador. After admiring the beautiful views over Laguna de Apoyo and drinking a Coke I walked back through the village to the big roundabout down at the main road. I cross the road and took the next bus heading for Masatepe. It took 15 minutes and it was 5 cordobas.

After eating lunch and an ice cream in Masatepe I took the bus to Niquinohomo, where I visited the Sandino Museum. On my way to Catarina and Masatepe I had noticed that the villages Niquinohomo, Catarina and San Juan de Oriente were all very close to each other. I asked at the museum how far it was to my next destination, San Juan de Oriente. And they told me it was only 2km, and they advised me to take one of the mototaxis standing by the plaza to San Juan de Oriente. It would cost 10 - 15 cordobas. But as the last mototaxi just left when I came there I decided to walk.

From Niquinohomo I walked along a smaller road, parallel to the main road, up to the roundabout by Catarina, and then I followed the main road to San Juan de Oriente. In San Juan de Oriente I visited a few pottery shops before heading back to Granada. Going back to Granada I had to wait 20 minutes for the bus. Dark rain clouds were approaching, but luckily the bus arrived just before the rain started to pour down.

Comments