Granada Hotels

Our Members Say

HOSPEDAJE LA CALZADA: HOMELY ATMOSPHERE

I had a large room upstairs with three beds and private bathroom and a small balcony looking towards to the courtyard. The room was simple and clean. The owner, Maria, couldn't have been friendlier. She even ironed some clothes for me when I asked if I could borrow her iron. She gave me a key so I could come and go as I pleased. I sat with her in the evening and chatted with my very basic Spanish and felt like part of the family. After my experience in Oasis La Calzada was such a pleasant place to stay.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Architecture, Photography
  • Written November 17, 2005

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

OASIS: OVERRATED

I've read many praising tips about OASIS in VT and thought I'd give another kind of opinion about it. I arrived from Liberia by bus, it was a very hot day and I was dreaming of a long shower. I had read about OASIS in my guidebook and it sounded really great. Even swimming pool! In the recption the girls told me that if I wanted hot water I had to pay more, if I wnated A/C I had to pay more. I did it gladly because I wanted to pamper myself. I checked in, went to my room, which I must admit was really lovely and much better than I am used to. I took my clothes off and went to the shower. I turned the water on and drip, drip, drip - a few water drops and nothing more! Even the toilet wasn't flushing! I just couldn't believe it. I had to get dressed again and go back to the reception. I told that there was no water. They knew it, shrugged their shoulders and said that water would be back in two hours. I went to the bank and took a little walk and went back. No water. I was getting really annoyed. Went back to the town and walked until 7.00 p.m. and tried the shower again. Surprise! There was water and I finally got my shower after waiting for it for seven hours.

I paid $32 for a night and what I got? A lovely room, A/C which was on from 7.00 pm to 8.00 am, no water most of the time, staff who couldn't have cared less. The least I would ahve expected was a simple "We are sorry" though they could have offered some compesation like free breakfast which would be the case in many countries. On the following morning I left and found another room where I had a wonderful stay. I know that many appreciate free Internet access. Well, I paid $12/night in La Calzada which left me $20 to use in the Internet so it wasn't that good deal after all.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Photography, Architecture
  • Written November 17, 2005

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hospedaje LA SONRISA: GOING TOURISTY

Back in Granada I decided to stay in Hostal Sonrisa and got a nice room there. As I like to write (diary, letters, post cards to friends) I really appreciated that there was a table and chairs. Witing on bed is not very comfortable. There was also a TV in the room. I paid $15 for the room with private bathroom. I had to pay deposit for the key and remote control.

Breakfast was about $2,75 and plentiful. Three rolls, two slices of toast, two fried eggs, cold cuts, banana and water melon, orange juice and coffee. I couldn't eat everything!

Breakfast is served between 7:00 - 11:00 am
and they also serve dinner from 5:00 to 9:00 pm

• Related to: Historical Travel, Architecture, Museum Visits
  • Written November 3, 2005

• trek06 profile photo trek06
  • Reviews: 155

Pasada Don Alfredo

Pasada Don Alfredo, is a clean, quite santuary in the heart of downtown. It's rooms are massive. It was the nicest accomodation that we stayed in Nicaragua. Low season in a double room, with bathroom without air conditioning was $30per night with a 10 % discount for staying 3 nights. Accepts cash only but there are several banks with atm within 2 blocks.

This has to be the best value for accomodation I have had in any country.

• Written August 27, 2005

Posada Don Alfredo

• elisa2005 profile photo elisa2005
  • Reviews: 1

Casa de Doña Pilar: Excellent new guest house in Granada, Nicaragua

Just excellent, one of the best places in my journeys thru central america, decided to stay 3 nights, just to soak up the relaxing atmosphere...great owners on site.

this is a really relaxing place, beautiful but modest house. It's just outside of Granada, a 10 minute walk or 2 minutes by car. Has a super swimming pool, free fast internet, free coffee and tea...all day. You can leave your luggage securely, with key. The breakfast is delicious, Florida orange juice, great omelette, toast, pancakes and it's included in the price of the room. every room has satellite tv...this is going to be a very popular place, i guess. British-Spanish owners very helpful.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written July 24, 2005

pool and " ranchito"

Hostal Oasis 2

You could live here – free internet, free calls to the US and Canada, free coffee, free ice (the water is fine here). Laundry service, book exchange, DVD rental, swimming pool and great people. Most evenings people buy some rum (Flor de Cana is the best) and limes and sit by the pool drinking and just ‘aving a laff! You can help yourself to cool drinks anytime from the fridge and just write your room no and what you took on the clipboard.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive

Casa San Francisco 2

A continental breakfast is included and we had fruit salad and freshly baked muffins. There is a nice Mexican restaurant with various other dishes as well, the key lime pie was excellent.

Casa San Francisco 1

The hotel is very unassuming from the outside but has a lovely courtyard with a swimming pool. We paid $40 for a double room with private bath which included breakfast as well.

The staff are very helpful and friendly and there is a nice pool in the small courtyard garden.

Tip Photo

• metteks profile photo metteks
  • Reviews: 207

The Bearded Monkey: A great place to stay

This is in fact one of the best hostels I have stayed in. I guess most people stay here a few extra nights, because the atmosphere is so relaxed and the town itself nice to wander around.
The place had not been open long enough to be in our guidebook when we arrived by boat to Granada, but we gad received the tip from fellow travelers. Tom owner himself stood in the harbor waiting for the boat to show up, so he himself could invite some guests to his hostel. That was really nice, because we didn’t have to walk and find our way.

The hostel had almost everything a real hostel needs: Pool table, tv-room with couches and a video, (with a daily movie night or the possibility to rent movies), book exchange, a bar with happy hour and the possibility to order food, internet, board games, laundry facilities and a wall full on informations on what to do in Granada and surroundings and how to get there.

The courtyard had big green plants, hammocks and a relaxing atmosphere.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written June 2, 2005

The courtyard at The Bearded Monkey

• kfredson profile photo kfredson
  • Reviews: 40

Hospedaje Cocibolca: The best low-priced hotel in Granada

I've tried a few places and this one is a terrific value. It's on the main drag between the main square and the lake, and you get a comfortable, if small room with a balcony. A good place to meet other budget travelers.

• Written March 16, 2005

Hostal Oasis 1: THE place to stay in Granada

Pronounced Hostal Oo-ah-sees. The hostel is arranged around two courtyards, the first is a garden with hammocks strung between the beams. On the one wall a huge mural dominates over a lounge areas with ceiling fans. The swimming pool is in the second courtyard with tables around it where you can get breakfast in the monrings. There are 4 dowmitories with about 10/12 beds at $7 a night, the bathrooms are very clean. We had a quad room for $30 a night, aircon is an extra $4 a night

The big draw of this place is the free internet, free calls to the US and Canada, free coffee, free ice (the water is fine here). There is also laundry service, book exchange, DVD´s, swimming pool and great people.
You can help yourself to cooldrinks anytime from the fridge and just write your room no and what you took on the clipboard. It is a very social place and a great way tgo meet other travellers and exchange stories.

• Written January 30, 2005

The Monkey Hut: Quick get-away from Grenada

The Monkey Hut has the same owners as The Bearded Monkey and it is a short 20 minute ride away. I went to spend the day - it is on Lake Apoyo, a HUGE volcano created lake with warm hotspring-fed water. They have tubes, kayaks, and a canoe, as well as a basketball court and other sports and games to pass the day. It is a very relaxing atmosphere, perfect for a little R&R.

I would recommend staying there, but the fee of going is US$4 entry plus US$2 for transport (US$1 each way). It is only US$9 per night to stay and you dont have to pay the entry fee.

They have some minimal food there, as you are expected to bring your own food. They have a nice kitchen that you can cook in.

Transport is offered from The Bearded Monkey.

AMAZING views! You are actually swimming in the crater, which is filled with fresh water, with big mountainous cliffs all the way around. The lake is HUGE and goes to depths of 900 feet! It is crystal clear, so you may want to consider bringing a snorkel, although the fish are rumored to be small and maybe not too incredible to see.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Kayaking, Backpacking

The Bearded Monkey hostel: The Bearded Monkey hostel

The Bearded Monkey is a very cool hostel located in downtown Grenada. Known as a great place to meet other travelers, it has a restaurant and bar and very cool common areas, hammocks, offers movies, and is nearby to the local sights.

The room was clean, I stayed in a large shared dorm with 10 other people - the huge room actually has 8 beds, but they let people throw mattresses on the floor when the beds are all full.

It costs $4US per night for a bed, and $2 for a mattress or hammock when they fill up. Lastly, the staff almost all speak very good English.

Known among travelers as a great destination in Grenada, therefore there are lots of cool people to meet and get travel info from.

For example, I am headed to Island Ometepe and I met two girls that had just returned. Their tips? 1. Dont feed the spider monkeys because they bite (she is on her way for a rabies vaccination as we speak) and 2. Dont stay at Hotel Central in Altagracia (she is trying to get her passport replaced, but her mp3 player, wallet, etc. is all gone - stolen while she slept).

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Study Abroad
Tip Photo

The Bearded Monkey (burgundy building)

Hotel Maltese: Hotel on Lake Nicaragua

Upon arrival in Grenada, we couldnt find lodging in any of the recommended hostels and ended up at the Hotel Maltese right on Lake Nicaragua. The room was bit expensive for Nicaragua, $30US for three people. It was clean, the people were nice, but it is a bit off the beaten path.

Being right on the lake afforded beautiful views, but the lake is unfortunately pretty polluted and does not lend to swimming.

There is a dance hall next door, which was fun but also very loud. If you are planning a quiet weekend getaway, this is not the place. :)

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking

• YolandaC profile photo YolandaC
  • Reviews: 104

La Gran Francia: Exteme Elegance

La Gran Francia is a recently restored Spanish Colonial Mansion perched on the corner of the main parque in Granada. The service is excellent and ambiance quiet and restful with a feeling of decadance, which at times can be difficult taking into account the extreme poverty right outside the door.
We stayed there for a couple of nights before heading back out into the realness of rural Nicaragua.

The service is impecable, the rooms beautiful. Great place to catch your breath.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive