Granada Hotels

Our Members Say

• mircaskirca profile photo mircaskirca
  • Reviews: 1091

La Siesta: Cozy Little Family-Run Guesthouse

If you like small tranquil places rather than big party hostels, you'll love La Siesta. This laid back, cozy little family-run guesthouse is situated within the Centro Historico, just a short walk to the the main city's attractions, restaurants and bars. It offers six tastefully decorated rooms for between 1 and 3 people. The rooms are set around the pleasant inner patio where you can meet with other guests, read a book or relax in the hammock. My room was called Bonne nuit. A bright spacious room with a private bathroom, a fan, one double and one single bed was 15 $ (December 2010).

In the morning they serve breakfast with a variety of options, from french crepes, omlette and fruits plate. Breakfast includes coffee, tea or chocolate which can be refilled on your request. The price is 50 cordobas.

Guests can use a fully equipped kitchen and laundry service is available for 2,5 $. The lounge area is furnished with authentic Nicaraguan rocking chairs and there is a collection of books in different languages. There is free WiFi connection and bag storage.

The Nicaraguan/French owners Marcela and Boris (with a lovely daughter Triana) are one of the friendliest couples, excellent hosts and will welcome you with a warm smile. They are extremely helpful and happy to share their knowledge about the country. The couple organizes variety of tours as well transportation from/to the airport. And if you want to combine your visit of Granada with learning Spanish, Marcela offers lessons in the pleasant patio.

One night when I came back to La Siesta, Boris was sitting in the patio with another guest. He invited me to join and have a beer with them. We had a nice conversation, mostly about travels. And here I also want to thank to Marcela who helped me with booking the accommodation on Isla de Ometepe and Little Corn Island.

Overall, a welcoming and friendly atmosphere in which guests can really enjoy their stay :)

• Related to: Architecture, Food and Dining, Historical Travel
  • Written January 22, 2011
Tip Photo

breakfast: fruits plate and coffee

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hospedaje LA SONRISA: GOING TOURISTY

Back in Granada I decided to stay in Hostal Sonrisa and got a nice room there. As I like to write (diary, letters, post cards to friends) I really appreciated that there was a table and chairs. Witing on bed is not very comfortable. There was also a TV in the room. I paid $15 for the room with private bathroom. I had to pay deposit for the key and remote control.

Breakfast was about $2,75 and plentiful. Three rolls, two slices of toast, two fried eggs, cold cuts, banana and water melon, orange juice and coffee. I couldn't eat everything!

Breakfast is served between 7:00 - 11:00 am
and they also serve dinner from 5:00 to 9:00 pm

• Related to: Historical Travel, Architecture, Museum Visits
  • Written November 3, 2005

• mircaskirca profile photo mircaskirca
  • Reviews: 1091

Hospedaje Café Ruíz: Located on Granada's Famous Street

I booked my accommodation in Granada in advance. But since I did not know how my trip was going to develop I only booked for 3 nights. I decided to stay two more days but to my surprise, all the rooms in La Siesta were already booked, so I had to find another place. Was lucky to meet a Dutch guy working for a non profit organization, who interviewed me one day on La Calzada. At the end of the interview I asked him if he perhaps knew about a nice place to stay. He recommended Hospedaje Café Ruíz which was only one block away, so I immediately went there to talk to the owner, señora Ampero.

Hospedaje Café Ruíz is a family-run guesthouse with 8 spotless rooms. I had an airy room with a private bathroom, comfortable double bed, fan and TV. It was 15 $ (December 2010). There was also a restaurant with an outdoor sitting. I was afraid it would get very loud at night, especially as it was located on the always packed with tourists La Calzada. But there were hardly any guests in the restaurants. And besides, the rooms were located at the back side, behind the restaurant, so away from the street.

I used Hospedaje Café Ruíz as a base during my stay in Nicaragua. From Granada I made several trips from a few days to one week. Then I returned for one night to change clothes, do the laundry if necessary and arrange things for my next trip. It was great that I could leave my big luggage here and only travel with a small one, which gave me more flexibility in moving. Before each trip I told señora Ampero which day I would be back and she kept the same room for me.

The guesthouse was conveniently located on pedestrian La Calzada where most of the bars and restaurants were found, close to Parque Central, market and bus terminals.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Food and Dining
  • Written January 22, 2011

HOSPEDAJE LA CALZADA: HOMELY ATMOSPHERE

I had a large room upstairs with three beds and private bathroom and a small balcony looking towards to the courtyard. The room was simple and clean. The owner, Maria, couldn't have been friendlier. She even ironed some clothes for me when I asked if I could borrow her iron. She gave me a key so I could come and go as I pleased. I sat with her in the evening and chatted with my very basic Spanish and felt like part of the family. After my experience in Oasis La Calzada was such a pleasant place to stay.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Architecture, Photography
  • Written November 17, 2005

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

OASIS: OVERRATED

I've read many praising tips about OASIS in VT and thought I'd give another kind of opinion about it. I arrived from Liberia by bus, it was a very hot day and I was dreaming of a long shower. I had read about OASIS in my guidebook and it sounded really great. Even swimming pool! In the recption the girls told me that if I wanted hot water I had to pay more, if I wnated A/C I had to pay more. I did it gladly because I wanted to pamper myself. I checked in, went to my room, which I must admit was really lovely and much better than I am used to. I took my clothes off and went to the shower. I turned the water on and drip, drip, drip - a few water drops and nothing more! Even the toilet wasn't flushing! I just couldn't believe it. I had to get dressed again and go back to the reception. I told that there was no water. They knew it, shrugged their shoulders and said that water would be back in two hours. I went to the bank and took a little walk and went back. No water. I was getting really annoyed. Went back to the town and walked until 7.00 p.m. and tried the shower again. Surprise! There was water and I finally got my shower after waiting for it for seven hours.

I paid $32 for a night and what I got? A lovely room, A/C which was on from 7.00 pm to 8.00 am, no water most of the time, staff who couldn't have cared less. The least I would ahve expected was a simple "We are sorry" though they could have offered some compesation like free breakfast which would be the case in many countries. On the following morning I left and found another room where I had a wonderful stay. I know that many appreciate free Internet access. Well, I paid $12/night in La Calzada which left me $20 to use in the Internet so it wasn't that good deal after all.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Architecture, Photography
  • Written November 17, 2005

• trek06 profile photo trek06
  • Reviews: 155

Pasada Don Alfredo

Pasada Don Alfredo, is a clean, quite santuary in the heart of downtown. It's rooms are massive. It was the nicest accomodation that we stayed in Nicaragua. Low season in a double room, with bathroom without air conditioning was $30per night with a 10 % discount for staying 3 nights. Accepts cash only but there are several banks with atm within 2 blocks.

This has to be the best value for accomodation I have had in any country.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written August 27, 2005

Posada Don Alfredo

• metteks profile photo metteks
  • Reviews: 207

The Bearded Monkey: A great place to stay

This is in fact one of the best hostels I have stayed in. I guess most people stay here a few extra nights, because the atmosphere is so relaxed and the town itself nice to wander around.
The place had not been open long enough to be in our guidebook when we arrived by boat to Granada, but we gad received the tip from fellow travelers. Tom owner himself stood in the harbor waiting for the boat to show up, so he himself could invite some guests to his hostel. That was really nice, because we didn’t have to walk and find our way.

The hostel had almost everything a real hostel needs: Pool table, tv-room with couches and a video, (with a daily movie night or the possibility to rent movies), book exchange, a bar with happy hour and the possibility to order food, internet, board games, laundry facilities and a wall full on informations on what to do in Granada and surroundings and how to get there.

The courtyard had big green plants, hammocks and a relaxing atmosphere.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written June 2, 2005

The courtyard at The Bearded Monkey

Hostal Oasis 2

You could live here – free internet, free calls to the US and Canada, free coffee, free ice (the water is fine here). Laundry service, book exchange, DVD rental, swimming pool and great people. Most evenings people buy some rum (Flor de Cana is the best) and limes and sit by the pool drinking and just ‘aving a laff! You can help yourself to cool drinks anytime from the fridge and just write your room no and what you took on the clipboard.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written July 21, 2005

• YolandaC profile photo YolandaC
  • Reviews: 104

La Gran Francia: Exteme Elegance

La Gran Francia is a recently restored Spanish Colonial Mansion perched on the corner of the main parque in Granada. The service is excellent and ambiance quiet and restful with a feeling of decadance, which at times can be difficult taking into account the extreme poverty right outside the door.
We stayed there for a couple of nights before heading back out into the realness of rural Nicaragua.

The service is impecable, the rooms beautiful. Great place to catch your breath.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Architecture
  • Written October 18, 2004

La Gran Francia

• Marie-France profile photo Marie-France
  • Reviews: 105

Another Night in Paradise: Homey accommodation

I stayed here for 4 nights at the beginning and 4 nights at the end of my trip. I loved it!

The guesthouse is owned by Donna, an American woman. Sergio is her Mexican cook, and beside some great breakfasts he'll make you practice your Spanish as he doesn't speak any English (I think he speaks a little French...) :-)

There are only five rooms, so I met all the other guests within half a day. It felt like sharing a big house with people. Some of the guests were staying here for several weeks, and some were involved in volunteer projects. I had some very interesting conversations. It's not a backpacker kind of place though, but it has a very homey and relaxed atmosphere.

Because it's so small you should probably book ahead if you want to stay here.

Note: there is no air conditioning, only table fans. Also, the two bathrooms are shared.

Great breakfast served in the kitchen, where you can chat with the other guests.

Two TV lounges, hammock and beer from the fridge (honour system - you write down what you take).

It's like living in a big house with friendly roommates! Makes you feel part of the community, due to the fact that Donna is so active in the town with her numerous volunteer projects. This is the perfect place to come if you're interested in volunteering, e.g. teaching children. No formal experience necessary; Donna is grateful for any help she can get!

• Written March 27, 2004

Second floor hallway

• MalenaN profile photo MalenaN
  • Reviews: 4899

Hostel San Angel

Hostel San Angel was the hostel where I had hoped to find a room in when I arrived in Granada. It was full on the day of my arrival, but I moved there the next day. It is situated in an old house in the historical centre, just half a block south of Parque Central. Don Orlandos family is living in one part of the house and the 10 hostel rooms are situated around a small courtyard with a big mango tree and a communal area with a TV. It is a quiet place (if your neighbours are quiet) except for a few mangos that fell on the roof with a bang.

I had a small single room with a bed, a chair, a small table and a fan. And there was also a bathroom and towel and soap. Breakfast is included in the price and it is served in the kitchen. For breakfast there was bread, butter, jam, fruits and coffee, or tea. I paid 12 dollars per night (July 2009).

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written June 6, 2010

My room at Hostel San Angel

• elisa2005 profile photo elisa2005
  • Reviews: 1

Casa de Doña Pilar: Excellent new guest house in Granada, Nicaragua

Just excellent, one of the best places in my journeys thru central america, decided to stay 3 nights, just to soak up the relaxing atmosphere...great owners on site.

this is a really relaxing place, beautiful but modest house. It's just outside of Granada, a 10 minute walk or 2 minutes by car. Has a super swimming pool, free fast internet, free coffee and tea...all day. You can leave your luggage securely, with key. The breakfast is delicious, Florida orange juice, great omelette, toast, pancakes and it's included in the price of the room. every room has satellite tv...this is going to be a very popular place, i guess. British-Spanish owners very helpful.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written July 24, 2005

pool and " ranchito"

Casa San Francisco 2

A continental breakfast is included and we had fruit salad and freshly baked muffins. There is a nice Mexican restaurant with various other dishes as well, the key lime pie was excellent.

• Written July 21, 2005

Hostal Oasis 1: THE place to stay in Granada

Pronounced Hostal Oo-ah-sees. The hostel is arranged around two courtyards, the first is a garden with hammocks strung between the beams. On the one wall a huge mural dominates over a lounge areas with ceiling fans. The swimming pool is in the second courtyard with tables around it where you can get breakfast in the monrings. There are 4 dowmitories with about 10/12 beds at $7 a night, the bathrooms are very clean. We had a quad room for $30 a night, aircon is an extra $4 a night

The big draw of this place is the free internet, free calls to the US and Canada, free coffee, free ice (the water is fine here). There is also laundry service, book exchange, DVD´s, swimming pool and great people.
You can help yourself to cooldrinks anytime from the fridge and just write your room no and what you took on the clipboard. It is a very social place and a great way tgo meet other travellers and exchange stories.

• Written January 30, 2005

• MalenaN profile photo MalenaN
  • Reviews: 4899

Hotel Cocibolca

I had not booked a room in advanced but had a few hostels in mind. When I walked around and asked for a room it turned out they were all full though. So when they at the last hostel told me I could have a room at their hotel I went there even if it was more expensive than I wanted to pay for a room. I just wanted to leave my backpack somewhere and go out.

I got a room on the second floor with bathroom, fan and TV for 35 dollars (July 2009). It turned out the bathroom lamp did not work so I changed for another, similar room. The rooms had no character and there were little space to put your things and the walls were all white. A plus was that I could watch the news from BBC on the TV. There is a small swimming pool and a nice green courtyard. Breakfast buffet was included in the price.

Everywhere where I had been so far in Nicaragua the exchange rate for 1 dollar had been 20 cordobas, but I was told it was now different. So instead of paying 700 cordobas it was 711.something. They didn’t have change in cordobas so they asked if I could pay in dollars. I had 40 dollars and they gave me 100 cordobas back. I couldn’t resist telling them that they just told me the exchange rate for a dollar was more than 20 cordobas. So quickly they gave me 1.5 cordobas more.

After one night I moved to a nicer and cheaper hostel.

• Opinion of Price: N/A