León Hotels

Our Members Say

• atufft profile photo atufft
  • Reviews: 3020

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel La Posada del Doctor: Courtyard with Turtles on the Lawn

This colonial residence turned hotel gets marginal reviews because of the cramped rooms and cot-like beds. But, our room had a strong A/C unit and hot water, and the beds while weird weren't really uncomfortable. The beds do have mattresses, but no box springs, which is the trick, I guess. The location in central Leon is very good, and not directly on a really busy street either. This is a residence turned hotel, so the front door is really impressive artwork with defensive capability. Inside, the name of the hotel become immediately apparent due to the outstanding mural sized oil painting depicting a medieval surgical event. The inner courtyard has a fountain surrounded by a thick thatch of lawn with deep trenches where turtles hide. In the morning, the cleaning ladies use buckets of water from the fountain to saturate the trenches, then they toss kitchen greens for the turtles to eat. The hotel has a good wifi system for those who need to get caught up on Facebook. It's within easy pedaling distance of the Managua bus station.

• Related to: Architecture, Museum Visits, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written January 25, 2013

La Posada del Doctor

• mircaskirca profile photo mircaskirca
  • Reviews: 1091

Iguana: Hostel and Café in the Hearth of Historical Centre

I spent my last day on the beach of Las Peñitas and then in the late afternoon took a bus to Granada. So I thought it would be more convenient to stay one night in the centre of the city. After coming back to León I would just pick up my luggage from a hotel and then go directly to the bus terminal. While I was strolling the streets of the historical centre of the city I came across several hostels and small hotels, and one that I immediately fell in love with was the Iguana Hostel & Café. To secure a place I booked it in advance and I was asked to pay a deposit of a half of the price.

Iguana Hostel & Café is a new hostel (opened in May 2010), located in the heart of the historical centre of León, only 2,5 blocks away from the Parque Central, and close to historical monuments, churches, restaurants, shops and banks. It assures its guests sparkling cleanliness, warm atmosphere and beautiful design – fresh, colourful, modern and appreciative of nature in its pure state. Walls are painted bright yellow, with several purple details and colourful pictures, including the entire wall with stylish green iguanas in the entrance room.

more pics in the travelogue

Iguana Hostel & Café offers comfortable rooms with en suite bathrooms, A/C or fans. My room had a ceiling fan. The usual price was 25 US $ but they gave me for promotional price of 20 US $ (December 2010). The hostel is known for its cutting edge technology, luxury, comfort and relaxing atmosphere. Guests can enjoy free internet, Wi-Fi and a living room with cable TV, DVD movies and books. In addition, the café/bar offers local and international breakfasts all day, sandwiches, paninis, and the restaurant Italian and French specialities. The staff were friendly and helpful. When I asked the woman in the kitchen if I could borrow a knife to peel and cut the pineapple, she kindly offered to do it for me. And after checking out in the morning, I could leave my bag at the reception for the whole day.

This hostel is a hidden gem with the ambience and service of a small hotel, and I would recommend it to anyone who prefers cosy and quiet places rather than popular 'party hostels'.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Food and Dining, Architecture
  • Written May 22, 2011

• mircaskirca profile photo mircaskirca
  • Reviews: 1091

Hostal Mariposa: An Oasis of Tranquility

If you are looking for a comfortable and tranquil place to stay, outside of the boiling hot León, than Hostal Mariposa would be your choice. They call it a hostel but it has the ambience and service of a small hotel. It is located a short bus ride from León centre, on the road to Poneloya and Las Peñitas. The bus stop is a short walk from the hostel and busses pass by every 15 minutes. It costs you only 3 cordobas (December 2010) and it takes ten minutes to get to the heart of the city. Hostal Mariposa is owned by a lovely French couple Severine and Mike. They are very welcoming and make you feel immediately at home.
The place is a real gem. Clustered around the swimming pool are five cabañas and four private rooms. We were staying in a spacious double room, nicely furnished with eye to detail. The usual price was 30 US $. But since the hostel was only opened recently and we were staying longer, we got it for promotional price of 25 US $ (December 201). I loved waking up in the morning having a swim, just a step from my room. Situated in a lush garden among the trees are also charming palapa-style cabañas. They have amazing outdoor showers with stylish fittings.

more pics in the travelogue

By the swimming pool is a beautiful garden of tropical flowers and nice area with hammocks and chairs to chill out with a good book, refresing drink and always good music. There is also outdoor dining area where they serve breakfast and dinner. Meals are not included in the price of the accommodation. We normally had breakfast here and then dinner somewhere in the city. My choice of breakfast was pancakes with banana and chocolate, fresh fruit juice and coffee. Since we were in León during Christmas time we were offered Christmas dinner in La Mariposa, which we found very convenient. We were three couples of guests and the owners with their adorable daughter. Starting with the national drink of Nicaragua, the Macuá cocktail, which is made with white rum (preferably Flor de Caña) and fruit juices (usually lemon and guava), we were then offered several seafood and vegetarian starters and main dishes, and had red or white wine with the food. I don’t remember the exact price of the Christmas dinner but it was quite reasonable.

This is a wonderful small family-run hotel with super friendly and extremely accommodating owners, spotless and comfortable rooms and cabañas, very relaxed ambience and amazing value for money. Will definitely be back if I ever return to León.

• Related to: Jungle and Rain Forest, Food and Dining, Budget Travel
  • Written May 22, 2011

• sean420 profile photo sean420
  • Reviews: 128

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

La Perla: La Perla - probably the BEST hotel in Nicaragua!

We had been driving around Leon looking for a place to stay - After checking out a few other hotels my wife wanted to check out La Perla but I was certain that it was going to be way out of our budget. I went inside and asked and was surprised that the rooms were only $80/night! Even though it was over our budget we decided that we should treat ourselves for the next two nights.

The hotel is incredible – it’s an old colonial mansion that has been completely renovated. The entire hotel is plush with an elegant air conditioned restaurant, small swimming pool, plasma TV in the bar, secure parking, etc. It would easily cost $300/night in the US. Our room was nice with a comfortable over sized bed, HOT water, cable TV, minibar, robes for guests to wear to the pool, etc.

When we arrived I had them do some laundry which was returned two hours later, warm out of the drier and everything was nicely folded. I think it was about $10 for a load.

The hotel is centrally located - two blocks form the Central Park and Cathedral. There are lots of museums and churches all within walking distance. The entire downtown area seemed very safe to me and we didn't have any hesitations walking around even at night. The owners are incredibly attentive to their guests - giving us suggestions on places to go, letting us use their laptops to check email, etc

I cant wait to go back to Leon and will DEFINATELY stay at La Perla!

I would ABSOUTELY return to La Perla!

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Written August 9, 2010

• MalenaN profile photo MalenaN
  • Reviews: 4938

Casona Colonial

I had not made a reservation and it was full when I arrived, but when I later in the afternoon came back to ask if they had a room for the next day there was one available at the moment (earlier someone had slept until late and then he left). I decided to change hotel at once as it would be complicated the next morning when I was going on a tour.

I got a single room with a fan and a bathroom for 20 dollars (July 2009) per night. There was a lovely garden outside the room and there are several places where you can sit down and relax. There is a kitchen, but no breakfast is served. It is also a quiet place.

If you don’t want to walk the streets alone after dark there is a bar/restaurant next door , Don Co-Co, where you can have something to eat and drink (it is closed on Sundays though).
There is a guard in the street both day and night.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written March 30, 2010

The garden at Casona Colonial

• MalenaN profile photo MalenaN
  • Reviews: 4938

Hostel La Clínica

I had first asked for a room at Casona Colonial but they didn’t have any rooms available, so I walked on to Hostel La Clínica. I asked for a room with bathroom and it was 150 cordobas a night (July 2009), that was 7.5 dollars. One of the girls was cleaning the room I was going to get, but she then told me the bathroom was not cleaned jet and the lady who was going to do that was not there. Meanwhile I could use the shared bathroom.
I went out for a walk and when I came back the bathroom was not cleaned jet as I had brought the key with me. Well, I sat down to wait a long time, on a bench I thought, but it turned out to be a table as I was told not to sit there. I found a quite dark common room with two hammocks (where the girls lay when I looked) and a chair or two. My bathroom got ready and I realised there was no sink. The room was very small with a shower above the toilet, so I had to go out of the room to wash my hands or brush the teeth.
It was a cheap room, but not what I wanted so I decided to change the next day, but as I booked a tour for the next morning I decided it was better to move the same day.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written March 28, 2010

Hostel La Cl��nica

• jacquisuiza profile photo jacquisuiza
  • Reviews: 43

Lazy Bones

As we arrived late in the afternoon, my favorite Hotel had no vacancy and we were so happy to find a perfect room at Lazy Bones. When you enter the gate you see a nice patio with hammocks, a billard table, a swimming pool and several computers with free internet access.

• Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written June 6, 2009

• jacquisuiza profile photo jacquisuiza
  • Reviews: 43

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Casona Colonial Guesthouse: Friendly and nice place

When I arrived in León I asked the taxi driver so bring me to that hostal/guesthouse. It was a good decision, because the next day it startet to rain quite heavy with thunderstorms for several days.

Clean bathrooms, friendly people, nice patio with flowers and tortugas, fan, television in the covered patio. Good to spend rainy days. The single room costs 15 $.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Women's Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written June 9, 2006
Tip Photo

• stephenhaberman profile photo stephenhaberman
  • Reviews: 3

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

HOSTAL LA CLINICA: BEST VALUE FOR A SHOESTRING BUDGET

The family that runs this place is fabulous. There are four generations of women. They are all helpful, friendly, and conscientious about the place. $10. buys a room with a private bath, and breakfast. It is not fancy, but it is quiet and has a pleasant atmosphere.

• Written May 18, 2006

• metteks profile photo metteks
  • Reviews: 207

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Posada del Doctor: Cheap and basic hotel

This place is cheap and very basic. The rooms are ok, but the shared bathrooms aren't too clean.

It is a nice place to meet other travellers and sit and talk in the patio. The last night I was there a loud prostitute and her custumer kept me awake, so I was happy to leave the next day.

If you don't care for luxus, and just want a place to stay, this place is ok, as it only costs 65 Colones.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written December 9, 2005

• Sininen profile photo Sininen
  • Reviews: 727

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

CASA IVANA: LIKE IN A CONVENT

The room I had was very tall and I felt like sleeping in a convent. I had large room with three single beds all to myself. As I didn't want to shut the shutters through the window I could see the sky before I fell asleep. The room had ensuite bathroom. I only saw the lady of the house when I arrived, after that I talked only with her son, who was about 12 years old but gave me all the information I needed. I paid $6 for the night there, which was good value.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Architecture, Photography