Hotel Contempo

Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

More about Managua

BoloñiaBoloñia

El MiradorEl Mirador

Claudette-Revolution Celebration 2007, ManaguaClaudette-Revolution Celebration 2007, Managua

Statue to Simon Bolivar, ManaguaStatue to Simon Bolivar, Managua

Traveling to Managua

by milestopkapi

Hello,

I saw your posting and was wondering if you can give me some more tips. I am traveling to Nicaragua for a conference in August. I am staying in a nice hotel in Managua, but once the conference is done I will be staying there to do some traveling. I am a bit nervous because I am younger female traveling alone. If you have time to throw any my way I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

by Albernfrau

I agree don't stay in Managua it isn't safe although when we were there we didn't have anything bad happend but my husband is 6'2" and very big. I wouldn't feel safe there as a woman and usually I am not fearful of many places. I strongly suggest going to Granada. We spent three weeks there and just loved it. There is lots to do but it is also relaxing.

Happy travels,
Steph

by caupolicano

Sorry I guess too late for advise, just do not go out alone at night in obvius bad areas, try to be always in the company of local people eithr female or male, does not matter Nicaraguan people are very seriuos about friendship and respect, once they see you in the company of a local believe me you will be ok,you just has to treat with their meals and a tip and that is it.Do not pay attention to the mens gossiping they always whistle or throw you "piropos".<piropos are like verse expressing beauty or something they see in you that they like, means no harm, just do not pay attention, that is set.

by Njutning

I've traveled in most parts of Latin America (and Im 23 and girl) and just relax, ask locals whish places to avoid etc, try to go out with a group at night etc. But despite of what everone says, I would say its safer to travel latin america as a girl than a guy. You should know how many guys I met during my trips I met that got robbed under knife or gunpoint (not in Nicaragua though, in Brazil, Bolivia, Peru etc) and actually I've not met a single girl, and in general men get robbed and experience violonce much more often than women. And actually this winter Im going to Panama, Costa Rica and Nicaragua with my boyfriend and that makes me saftywise more nervous than when I've been there by myself (I go every year).

RE: RE: Traveling to Managua

by Njutning

I think your more protected as a girl. I've never been robbed in Latin America ever (peppar peppar ta i trä)but my ex has and he is 190 cm (6.2)and weighs 120 kg (264,6lb) (I think thats correct Im better at a metric system)on top of this he is black (in other words look local) while I look very scandinavian. But I have to give him that he saved me from alot of catcalls;)

by freefal

I went to Nicaragua on my own for a month last year and with virtually nil spanish. I found it completely safe, I never felt threatened and I'm going back this year. The only thing to watch out for is if you get a bus from somewhere hoping to arrive before sunset there are always unforseen delays and you end up arriving in a big city in darkness which can be unnerving. I would advise always getting an early morning bus for that reason. There was none of the sexual harrassment that is common in places like Egypt.

Travel Tips for Managua

National Museum

by Stephen-KarenConn

Across from the Old Managua Cathedral, and facing the National Palace is the Museo Nacional or National Museum. I found this to be a very impressive building, set around two leafy courtyards. Inside you will find numerous artifacts and displays which tell the story of Nicaragua from pre-historic times to present as well as a display of contemporary Nicaraguan art.

I most enjoyed grand staircase and the beautiful and well-planted courtyards which the two wings of the building surround - see hidden photos.

Admission: US$2

Hours:
Mon - Fri: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Sat - Sun: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Finally making it to my husband's homeland

by ourmaxi

"Managua"

Our first full day in Nicaragua, my husband's cousin gave us the grand tour. I was surprised by all of the beautiful unspoiled nature to be found in Managua. There is a reason Nicaragua is known as the "land of lakes and volcanoes!"

"Managua"

This cathedral was nearly destroyed by the 1972 earthquake. It is currently closed to the public because parts of the ceiling fell on some tourists. From what my husband's family tells me, the Mexican government has donated money to help with the restoration.

"Managua"

This is the Nicaraguan equivalent of the White House.

Comments