Departamento de Rivas Hotels

• canuckmike profile photo canuckmike
  • Reviews: 577

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

El Puerto: A Nice Hotel

I believe the name is El Puerto (it may not but it is very close to) and I found it to be a nice hotel. The reception was nice a clean with friendly staff. You walk out of the reception building which leads you to a little courtyard area with the rooms in the back building. It's a double story building. It has a nice tiled floor and the paint is in good condition. The rooms are nice and had a comfy bed. Roomy with good circulation of air and comes with a fan. The bathrooms had cold showers when I was there but didn't bother me too much. The location was great as it was quite close to most places I went to although the town (San Juan Del Sur) isn't very big. For two people I paid US $23 a night but I believe it's now $25 a night. This place didn't have it's own generator, so when the town's power went out, you were left in the dark.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written September 22, 2008
Tip Photo

Hotel

• canuckmike profile photo canuckmike
  • Reviews: 577

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Casa Istian: For A Beach Hotel

This is where I stayed on Ometepe. It was nice a close to the beach as in about 50 m from it. It has great views of both volcanos and is surround by nice greenery. The staff is very friendly and there is good food here. You can also rent bikes here which were in decent enough shape. An interesting thing they had going on here is that they used the honor system, grab a drink and just write it down. Do be careful with that and keep a tab on it because when I got the bill, it ended up seeming a bit much but whatever.

What I didn't enjoy so much was the room I had. Granted the place is cheap so I wouldn't expect too much. What really bugs me is when the bed sheet is not big enough to stay covering the mattress. Seeing the mattress grosses me out for some reason (probably because it's never cleaned). Also I know it's a tropical country, but it was a battle getting rid of the fair sized spiders and I believed we had a cricket in the room for a while. We had some lizards in the room, but not enough to keep the insects in control.

The semi isolation of the place was both a good a bad thing. It was nice a quiet and peaceful. But that just ended up making me eat only there cause everywhere else was far enough away to go eat at.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average