Corn Island Hotels

Our Members Say

• Jim_Eliason profile photo Jim_Eliason
  • Reviews: 4610

Casa Canada: Island's best resort

small but still one of the best resorts on the island, all cabana's face the ocean and if your lucky like us you will get a poolside one.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Food and Dining, Budget Travel, Spa and Resort
  • Written April 6, 2014

Casa Canada

• mircaskirca profile photo mircaskirca
  • Reviews: 1091

Sunrise Paradise: Carlito's Place

I heard only good things about Carlito’s place so there was no doubt about where I was going to stay on Little Corn Island. Carlito is a native to the island and was born there back when there were only six families on the entire island. In high season (Christmas, the New Year and Easter) the place gets quickly booked so you better make a reservation in advance. I called Carlito about a week prior to arrival, to be sure I get a room. My reservation for the desired dates was confirmed. Unfortunately, I arrived one day later than I planned, since there was no panga boat from Big Corn Island for two days. On the dock there was a guy waiting for me with my name on a sign. He helped me with a luggage and we hiked along the path to the east side of the island where Carlito’s place was located. Carlito was there when we arrived. He welcomed me warmly, with a big smile. Such a friendly guy! I immediately fell in love with the place and knew it would be hard to leave.

There are three places with cabañas along the same stretch of beach but Carlito’s is the nicest of the three. The place features 13 cabañas, some with en–suite bathrooms while others have shared bathroom. There were three cabañas fronting the sea and one in construction. I was really glad to get one of those. It had a comfortable double bad (with a pillow and sheets; towels were not provided so make sure to bring them with you), mosquito net, fan , private bathroom, and best of all, it was just a few steps from the sea. Water was available all day and electricity from 5pm to 5am. And all these for only 20 US $ (December 2010).

There is also a bar/restaurant with tables on the beach, offering island favourites, like lobster and Carlito’s famous fried chicken. I never dined there but it was very convenient to get a beer while lounging around in the hammock that are in front of each cabaña and strung around the property. The ground was spotless, the guy came every morning to clean the beach. I was not worried about security. Carlito was always around to keep an eye on things, and there was a watchman at night. Already the first day I met Julia, a daughter of a lady working for Carlito. Such a sweet girl and so smart for her age, she kept me company during my stay. Sometimes Carlito’s dog Minnow also joined us.

I loved waking up with a swim in the sea, much more fun than a shower. And then locals used to walk along the beach with delicious fresh (still hot) coconut bread and empenadas for sale. Just a beginning of yet another marvelous day on a Little Corn Island. Hopefully I'll be back soon :)

• Related to: Food and Dining, Architecture, Beaches
  • Written March 20, 2011
Tip Photo

my caba��a, just a few steps from the sea

• mircaskirca profile photo mircaskirca
  • Reviews: 1091

Hotel Flor: Conveniently Located Close to the Wharf

On my arrival to the Big Corn Island I was told that due to strong winds and high waves there was no panga boat to Little Corn Island that day. It meant I had to spend at least on night on the Big Corn Island. So I took a taxi from the airport and asked the taxi driver if he could recommend a nice cheap place to stay close to the wharf. He brought me to Hotel Flor which was located at the heart of Brig Bay, very close to the wharf.

Hotel Flor is a two storey building painted in bright orange and has nine rooms. Rooms with a fan were 15 - 20 US $ while rooms with air conditioning and TV up to 35 US $ (December 2010). I asked for a room with a fan and first the lady working in the hotel showed me one for 15 US $ on the ground floor which I did not like. Then she brought me to the upper floor where I could choose between two different rooms, both with a fan and TV, and a shared bathroom. These rooms were 20 US $ and I chose one of them. It was quite spacious and had a double bed, small table and two chairs. I thought it was good enough for (hopefully!) only one night.

I especially liked the big terrace which had a great sea view. There were several tables where guests used to meet, have a beer or coffee, or just chill. I had a nice conversation with an indigenous Miskito woman who was working in the hotel. We talked about life on the island and she was also curious about things in Europe. I gladly gave her a little present from my country. Later in the evening she left hotel but then came again in the morning. She knew I was very much interested in sampling local specialities so she brought me a piece of banana bread which she made the previous evening. Oh, such a sweet lady! In Hotel Flor they did not serve breakfast, so banana bread, along with a coffee from the hotel and fruits that I bought at the local market, was actually my breakfast :)

• Related to: Architecture, Budget Travel, Beer Tasting
  • Written March 20, 2011

Hotel Flor

• Johan178 profile photo Johan178

Paraiso Beach Hotel: Best hotel on Corn Island

Paraiso was our first choice but they were full so we had to make other another choice. Then they wrote us that they had a cancellation so we could go! They picked us up from the airport and took really good care of us. The people are so friendly and the owners are always there in case we needed them. The food there was definitely the best on the island (believe me we tried...). The rooms are basic, very clean and we didnt miss anything. The location is amazing, 50 meter from the beach and set in a beautiful garden. Paraiso has their own boats so we went snorkelling with them, which was convenient because the boat left right from their beach! All in all a great experience we will remember. I would surely recommend this place to anyone. Only disadvantage might be that the resort is popular so you need to reserve in advance.

Right on the beach

• Written March 10, 2011

• MalenaN profile photo MalenaN
  • Reviews: 4899

Lobster Inn

Before coming to Little Corn Island it was difficult to make up my mind about where to stay. To stay in a simple beach hut on the east side sounded nice, but on the other hand they have shared bathrooms and bad looks on the doors. I had heard about thefts and also didn’t know how many people there were going to be around.
So in the end I decided to stay at Lobster Inn on the west side. It was situated near the dive centre and some restaurants. And as the island is small it was not too far to walk to the east side anyway.

At Lobster Inn I got a room with bathroom and there was a mosquito net over the bed and I got two towels, soap and toilet paper. There was two windows and I had a sea view, but also the porch outside my window. As we were never more than four guests at Lobster Inn during my stay that was not a problem, but I was told that during high season it is better to have the rooms in the back as people can stay up late talking on the porch.
I paid 300 cordobas per night, which was 15 dollars, for my room (August 2010).

On the porch there was a couple of rocking chairs and some chairs. It was a nice place to sit in, looking at the sea, maybe reading a book or drinking a cold beer.

The footpath (there are no roads on Little Corn Island) passes by the Lobster Inn and on the other side of the path is a small beach. There is a shower where you can rinse of salt and sand just outside the hotel.

In the restaurant they serve breakfast, lunch and dinner and I found the food to be good. For breakfast (egg, toast and coffee) I paid 70 cordobas and for lobster, fries, rice, salad and a Coke I paid 250 cordobas.
The staff was very kind and welcoming and I think I made good choice staying here.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Beaches
  • Written January 3, 2011

Lobster Inn

• jlsell profile photo jlsell

Cabanas Vientos Del Norte, "Ike's Place": Corn Island's best host

Our family made a wonderful choice to stay at Ike Siu's Cabanas on the north end of Big Corn Island. The room was large and clean, and the beds comfortable. The accommodations are basic and not fancy, but very adequate for the reasonable price. There were 5 of us staying in one room and Ike accomodated us with an air mattress at no extra charge for our 5th family member. It was cool and breezy on the north shore. We did not need the air-conditioner at all. There are good screens on the windows. No mosquitos bothered us. The best part of our stay was our host Ike. He has lived on the Island most of his life and knows everyone and everything. He picked us up at the airport, gave us a tour of Big Corn and helped us with every questions and need. He had hammocks to rest in hung special for us on his personal veranda, has a library of used paperback books we rummaged through and rented us the flippers and water shoes we needed. Ike is a real gentleman and a great friend. The meals his cook prepared for us were delicious! If we ever get to visit Big Corn again we will definitely stay with Ike !

On a beautiful point at the north end of the island. Cool and breezy. Close to coral reefs for snorkeling. Wonderful host/owner. Beach view. Across the street from beach.

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Beaches, Family Travel
  • Written May 23, 2009

• mike-thepainter profile photo mike-thepainter

Ike's Place-Vientos del Norte: Great find on the North End

We stayed at Vientos del Norte for two weeks and it was great. But Mr. Ike Siu was helping us out even before we left for the island. Any email questions I had, were usually answered in minutes. He offered to pick us up at the airport, but we actually met him at the Managua airport where he bought us a beer! He gave us a tour of the island full of information. The ocean was about 50 feet from our front door. A small patch of sand and rocky with fairly good snorkeling. There was a fairly constant breeze from the north, so we opted out of the air-conditioning, but it is available. Ike has 8 rooms available and also has a per person dormitory style room. The rooms have a refrigerator, coffee maker, toaster, microwave, cable TV, fan, screens and bars on every window. The place is very secure and very clean. Every room is No Smoking, but we smoked out on the balcony overlooking the ocean and everywhere outside. Our room was US $40 for the 2 of us.
You can eat there also. Breakfast is available every day, and with advance notice, you can have whatever you want prepared for you. Or you can use the kitchen yourself. Always cold beer and sodas and mixed drinks. He has wireless internet, but if you didn't bring your computer, you can use one of his. Snorkel gear is available also. Hammocks out front for everyone to use. He takes credit cards..VISA & MASTERCARD. If you don't feel comfortable carrying cash or credit cards, you can do a bank deposit in the US. Just ask Ike! I would definitely recommend this place to anyone!

The main thing here is service. Ike knows what he's doing and he'll do just about anything for his guests. Pick up at the airport or boat, or drop off at the airport or boat. Everyone on the Island seems to know Ike, and we met a lot of locals. We met a couple from the US staying there, but he also had around 30 college students from Rivas stay there for a few days. The fridge in your room is stocked daily with beer and sodas, and he runs a tab. We really didn't deal with money until we were ready to leave. The food is great, cooked by Eva, Ike's helper. Lots of lobster and kingfish. Special dishes like crab and rundown/rondon are available with advance notice, all depending on the season. Everything like grocery stores, restaurants, etc. are close by. And the taxis are cheap! Ike also has some souveniers and mementos for sale. And there is also a book exchange. But the best thing there is the friendly accommodating service.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Family Travel
  • Written March 29, 2009

Main Entrance

• MDL1070 profile photo MDL1070
  • Reviews: 2

Picnic Beach: A nice spot on Corn Island

Picnic Beach center. The hotel is centered in the heart of the longest and nicest stretch of beach on the island. It is a bit removed from majority of the locals. We stayed here starting our second night on big Corn. The rooms cost 40 to 50 per night. The hotel was locally staffed, the staff was more than accommodating, with a goal of earning our repeat business. There was an security guard on premise every night. No credit cards, cash only. Our room the first night was in a small L shape building. The room larger than expected, with very cold AC and hot water. It cost 40 per night. The room was clean, basic, and securable. The next night we moved to the newest build room (recently finished) It is a second floor accommodation. The view from the room’s poach/balcony at sunset was incredible. This room cost 50 per night. My wife liked this room so much, she informed me we were staying put. The restaurant: The beer was served properly chilled, most times with frost on the bottles. The beer cost was 20 col. … basically 1 dollar US. We found no lower prices on the island, and we looked the island over pretty well. The Picnic center restaurant can and will compare to on the island, including Casa Canada.( Casa Canada is by far the nicest resort/hotel currently on the island, and is in its own class here) The prices were very competitive. We tallied up what we had spent the first night: 40 for the room, 47 for food and drinks, coming to a total of 87 dollars. When we moved to the 50 dollar room basic cost went up the same, an additional 10 bucks. Readers should note, we did not attempt to moderate our eating and drinking, we ate when we were hungry and drank beers “at will”. The local beer “Tona” is typical of all central American beers, and is palatable for most of us, as long as it is served ice cold. It is a fairly low threat beverage, 4.2 percent alcohol .. Fisherman: we had lots of success at night with bone fishing in the sand flats south of the hotel, near the point. I took my own rod with me, was well worth it . This hotel is a definite “Do over” for us. The room we were staying in was already reserved for our last night on island, we moved to Casa Canada for our last night on island. That will be a separate review

best walking beach on the island

• Written March 13, 2009

• MDL1070 profile photo MDL1070
  • Reviews: 2

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Anastasia's on the Sea: Big corn Island

We stayed here one night while on the island. The hotel was locally staffed, all of which work very hard to ensure a pleasant stay. They charged us 29 for the night. No credit cards, cash only. Our room was facing the beach and had a gorgeous view. The wind was up very high that night. The waves were crashing into our patio facing doors. The air conditioner did not work very well. A fellow travel warned us about having a potential electrical shock hazard. This was not the first time we have heard this information, other travelers have published online the same concern. Our room did not have hot water. The hotel restaurant on the water is definitely unique to the island. The prices for the food tended to be on the high side in comparison to all other places we ate during the course of the stay. The domestic Beer prices were the highest found on island, even high than Casa Canada’s. The beer was not served properly chilled. The next morning when we got up, We took a closer look at the hotel in general. It appears to be falling behind in general maintenance. We heard the next day that some lady fell through the dock when she stepped on a weak board. We tallied up what we had spent that night: 29 for the room, 67 for food and drinks, coming to a total of 97 dollars. We decided to move on to other hotels and explore the island. With a retro perspective, saving a few bucks on the room cost us over all with the food and drink cost. There are several hotels on the island in the same cost window, 20 to 40 bracket that do have working A/C, and lower food and drink cost.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Water Sports, Backpacking
  • Written March 13, 2009

• michael2malone profile photo michael2malone
  • Reviews: 1

DEREKS PLACE: worst hotel on little corn

We stayed at Dereks Place on 5th. February and while we were sleeping someone broke into our room and stole our cameras and $800.00. The owner, Derek did absolutely nothing. Then we find out that there were other robberies a couple of weeks before..... more importantly, it seems his real name is Skip and he has participated in a number of scams in Granada and Managua. All of the ex-pat community know him for a full on rip off artist.
DRAW YOUR OWN CONCLUSION!! ASK AROUND THE OTHER PLACES ON LITTLE CORN.

---- RESIDENT THIEF!! WITH THE MOST BIZZARE PRESENTATION OF FOOD IMAGINABLE. THE PRETENSE OF 5 STAR WAS ENTERTAINING

• Written February 14, 2008

• micheletaos profile photo micheletaos

The Pariaso: Paradice

Ran across a blog that recommended the Pariaso and had to try it...it's in the midst of the locals rather then the concentration of Americans/Europeans that gather on the other side of the island. My "thatch roofed bungalo" was lovely as long as you don't mind one knob in the shower (hot water is not to be found). Breakfast also is included in the 40 US per night depending on how long you're staying, Ton, the owner from Holland will work with you. Internet is "possible" but not promised and up the beach and down a bit is an internet cafe if laptop wireless cards fail to connect. You can get a room air conditioned for an extra 2 US dollars a night and I would recommend this, as well as a few DVD's to watch on your laptop for evenings you might not want to hang out at the local clubs. Nico's is a favorite spot, green plastic lawn chairs, pounding music, incredible dancing and a stand-up freezer full of beer/sodas was incredible, but if you're a woman traveling alone, as I was, grab a trust worthy tourist along your way (male) and when you're approached introduce him as your husband-or find a group at the Pariaso to go with. I had lovely nights out with folks from N. Carolina, US and London. The food was excellent and because of how strong the dollar is in CA lobster at every meal is very realistic and only competes with the cost of a Coca-Cola. There's a lending library at the Pariaso, so bring some books you wouldn't mind leaving there, as well as a few bottles of asperin/Tylenol for the locals. They don't have medicines available as many of us do-baseball caps, soccor balls, and other things we often take for granted are greatly appreciated there. The currency is in Centavos: 15-18 to 1 US dollar-cab fare to anywhere on the island, one way is 15 centavos @ .90 US. Feel free to inquire and make sure you go to the "The Heart of the World" that now sits in the middle of a playground being built by the Federal gov't. It's an amazing sculpture with an amazing story; google it and check it out.

The beach is fifty paces away, with two shipwrecks just off the coast and a view of the penninsula. Misquito is the native culture, though Spanish and some English are spoken by locals. There is on AA group on the island that meets three times a week and they and their families will gladly walk you to and from their meeting about a 10 minute walk from the Pariaso. The coffee is instant but excellent-and the portions generous. The dining area is large and open and has it's own bar visited by ex-pats that now live there year round.

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Beaches, Eco-Tourism
  • Written June 20, 2007

• finlrw1 profile photo finlrw1
  • Reviews: 3

Anastasia's on the Sea: Best Oceanview Hotel

Anastasia's is located on the north end and is very pretty. The rooms have a beautiful view of the ocean and a private patio to enjoy the sun and view. The amentities were fine, TV, AC, hot water and a comfortable bed. The rooms are big and the bathrooms were more than adequate. The service was not bad. I would recommend this place. Its not expensive but you get more than what you pay for.

Best spot for snorkeling. Great view. Big rooms. Great location. Awesome restaurant.

• Related to: Water Sports, Fishing, Diving and Snorkeling
  • Written April 23, 2007

• canuckmike profile photo canuckmike
  • Reviews: 570

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Beach View: A Decent Place

This is the second place that I stayed in. The rooms were US $15 a night and were of decent size. The rooms had a fan and were cold water. The view from the second floor over the beach was really quite nice. The bedrooms on the main floor I found to be kinda depressing but the ones on the second floor were nice. For the most part it was a fairly decent place especially for the price. Sometimes it was hard to get a hold of the staff as there is no real front desk. So you might have to go to the building across the street to get someone if you need to.

• Written March 11, 2007

Beach View Hotel

• canuckmike profile photo canuckmike
  • Reviews: 570

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Creole: A Cheap Place to Stay

This is a small hotel that is run by some friendly people. All the rooms have private bathrooms and cost US $10 for most rooms and US $15 for the big room. I would recommend this hotel if you are on a tight budget but if you have a couple of more dollars to spend I would not stay here. The walls are very thin and the showers are not properly made. Someone had a shower in the next room to mine and it soaked my stuff that was on the floor next to the wall. The next door neighbour would leash his German Sheppard to the fence right outside our window and it would bark like crazy starting at 6 in the morning. After that, the same people have a parrot that sounds like a baby crying for it's parents. It was very hard to sleep in.

Rooms come with a fan and are cold water.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written March 11, 2007

Hotel Creole

• Rambling_Man profile photo Rambling_Man
  • Reviews: 13

Hotel: Martha's Bed & Breakfast

NOTE - there are 3 pictures that you can check out, so click around to find them.

This place was great, and it's recommended for a few reasons which I list later on... mostly because it's the best location on the island. It's quiet and it's the best beach. Everything you need is right there. The owners are also the day-to-day business managers, so you are guaranteed to have great service and be satisfied. As of December 2006, room rates were $45US/night.

Each room has cable TV and air conditioning. As somebody from a "first world country", you might be put off that there is no hot water for the showers... but this is somewhat common in countries like Nicaragua and you will quickly get used to it.

I loved it here and hope you do too. Currently they don't have a website, but call at COUNTRY CODE 505 , PHONE NUMBER 835-5930.

1) It's on the best beach on Big Corn Island... the Picnic Centre beach, which is on the west side of the island. Not only do you get the sunsets on the west side and the beach is better, but this side of the island doesn't get any wind so it's a good swimming beach. (the other side of the island is windy and not pleasant for swimming).

2) As of when I visited, this hotel is at the end of the road which makes it nice & quiet.

3) THE FIRST EDITION OF LONELY PLANET IS INCORRECT!!! This place DOES have breakfast (3 different choices) and it's included in the price of the room.

4) The owners are a married couple named Martha & Ellery. Originally from the area, they lived in Miami for years and speak English. They are kind, caring, attentive to detail and Ellery also acts as a great security guard against some pesky locals and stray dogs.

5) Everything ordered from their restaurant was great.

6) There is a upper deck that is available for guests to enjoy the sunset from above, as well as a beautiful yard.

7) There is a common living room and kitchen that can be used by hotel guests.

8) Ellery is an expert at mixing excellent rum cocktails.

• Related to: Beaches, Fishing, Diving and Snorkeling