Corn Island Hotels

Our Members Say

• YolandaC profile photo YolandaC
  • Reviews: 104

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Derek's Place: the softest grass in the world

Located on the far-side of Little Corn Island, a group of unique cabins nestled on a strip on the softest grass I've ever wiggled my toes in. All cabins are ocean front and the area is strewen with hammocks and conversation areas. Wind and solar powered and quite rustic with no transportation on the island but your own feet and for a few select locals a horse and bikes.

Ocean is breathtaking, grass..well enough said about the grass, cabins are very gilligan islandish and a beautiful horse.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Diving and Snorkeling
  • Written September 29, 2004

• mircaskirca profile photo mircaskirca
  • Reviews: 1091

Sunrise Paradise: Carlito's Place

I heard only good things about Carlito’s place so there was no doubt about where I was going to stay on Little Corn Island. Carlito is a native to the island and was born there back when there were only six families on the entire island. In high season (Christmas, the New Year and Easter) the place gets quickly booked so you better make a reservation in advance. I called Carlito about a week prior to arrival, to be sure I get a room. My reservation for the desired dates was confirmed. Unfortunately, I arrived one day later than I planned, since there was no panga boat from Big Corn Island for two days. On the dock there was a guy waiting for me with my name on a sign. He helped me with a luggage and we hiked along the path to the east side of the island where Carlito’s place was located. Carlito was there when we arrived. He welcomed me warmly, with a big smile. Such a friendly guy! I immediately fell in love with the place and knew it would be hard to leave.

There are three places with cabañas along the same stretch of beach but Carlito’s is the nicest of the three. The place features 13 cabañas, some with en–suite bathrooms while others have shared bathroom. There were three cabañas fronting the sea and one in construction. I was really glad to get one of those. It had a comfortable double bad (with a pillow and sheets; towels were not provided so make sure to bring them with you), mosquito net, fan , private bathroom, and best of all, it was just a few steps from the sea. Water was available all day and electricity from 5pm to 5am. And all these for only 20 US $ (December 2010).

There is also a bar/restaurant with tables on the beach, offering island favourites, like lobster and Carlito’s famous fried chicken. I never dined there but it was very convenient to get a beer while lounging around in the hammock that are in front of each cabaña and strung around the property. The ground was spotless, the guy came every morning to clean the beach. I was not worried about security. Carlito was always around to keep an eye on things, and there was a watchman at night. Already the first day I met Julia, a daughter of a lady working for Carlito. Such a sweet girl and so smart for her age, she kept me company during my stay. Sometimes Carlito’s dog Minnow also joined us.

I loved waking up with a swim in the sea, much more fun than a shower. And then locals used to walk along the beach with delicious fresh (still hot) coconut bread and empenadas for sale. Just a beginning of yet another marvelous day on a Little Corn Island. Hopefully I'll be back soon :)

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Food and Dining, Architecture, Beaches
  • Written March 20, 2011
Tip Photo

my caba��a, just a few steps from the sea

• mircaskirca profile photo mircaskirca
  • Reviews: 1091

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Flor: Conveniently Located Close to the Wharf

On my arrival to the Big Corn Island I was told that due to strong winds and high waves there was no panga boat to Little Corn Island that day. It meant I had to spend at least on night on the Big Corn Island. So I took a taxi from the airport and asked the taxi driver if he could recommend a nice cheap place to stay close to the wharf. He brought me to Hotel Flor which was located at the heart of Brig Bay, very close to the wharf.

Hotel Flor is a two storey building painted in bright orange and has nine rooms. Rooms with a fan were 15 - 20 US $ while rooms with air conditioning and TV up to 35 US $ (December 2010). I asked for a room with a fan and first the lady working in the hotel showed me one for 15 US $ on the ground floor which I did not like. Then she brought me to the upper floor where I could choose between two different rooms, both with a fan and TV, and a shared bathroom. These rooms were 20 US $ and I chose one of them. It was quite spacious and had a double bed, small table and two chairs. I thought it was good enough for (hopefully!) only one night.

I especially liked the big terrace which had a great sea view. There were several tables where guests used to meet, have a beer or coffee, or just chill. I had a nice conversation with an indigenous Miskito woman who was working in the hotel. We talked about life on the island and she was also curious about things in Europe. I gladly gave her a little present from my country. Later in the evening she left hotel but then came again in the morning. She knew I was very much interested in sampling local specialities so she brought me a piece of banana bread which she made the previous evening. Oh, such a sweet lady! In Hotel Flor they did not serve breakfast, so banana bread, along with a coffee from the hotel and fruits that I bought at the local market, was actually my breakfast :)

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Architecture, Budget Travel, Beer Tasting
  • Written March 20, 2011

Hotel Flor

• micheletaos profile photo micheletaos
  • Reviews: 1

The Pariaso: Paradice

Ran across a blog that recommended the Pariaso and had to try it...it's in the midst of the locals rather then the concentration of Americans/Europeans that gather on the other side of the island. My "thatch roofed bungalo" was lovely as long as you don't mind one knob in the shower (hot water is not to be found). Breakfast also is included in the 40 US per night depending on how long you're staying, Ton, the owner from Holland will work with you. Internet is "possible" but not promised and up the beach and down a bit is an internet cafe if laptop wireless cards fail to connect. You can get a room air conditioned for an extra 2 US dollars a night and I would recommend this, as well as a few DVD's to watch on your laptop for evenings you might not want to hang out at the local clubs. Nico's is a favorite spot, green plastic lawn chairs, pounding music, incredible dancing and a stand-up freezer full of beer/sodas was incredible, but if you're a woman traveling alone, as I was, grab a trust worthy tourist along your way (male) and when you're approached introduce him as your husband-or find a group at the Pariaso to go with. I had lovely nights out with folks from N. Carolina, US and London. The food was excellent and because of how strong the dollar is in CA lobster at every meal is very realistic and only competes with the cost of a Coca-Cola. There's a lending library at the Pariaso, so bring some books you wouldn't mind leaving there, as well as a few bottles of asperin/Tylenol for the locals. They don't have medicines available as many of us do-baseball caps, soccor balls, and other things we often take for granted are greatly appreciated there. The currency is in Centavos: 15-18 to 1 US dollar-cab fare to anywhere on the island, one way is 15 centavos @ .90 US. Feel free to inquire and make sure you go to the "The Heart of the World" that now sits in the middle of a playground being built by the Federal gov't. It's an amazing sculpture with an amazing story; google it and check it out.

The beach is fifty paces away, with two shipwrecks just off the coast and a view of the penninsula. Misquito is the native culture, though Spanish and some English are spoken by locals. There is on AA group on the island that meets three times a week and they and their families will gladly walk you to and from their meeting about a 10 minute walk from the Pariaso. The coffee is instant but excellent-and the portions generous. The dining area is large and open and has it's own bar visited by ex-pats that now live there year round.

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Beaches, Eco-Tourism
  • Written June 20, 2007

• finlrw1 profile photo finlrw1
  • Reviews: 3

Anastasia's on the Sea: Best Oceanview Hotel

Anastasia's is located on the north end and is very pretty. The rooms have a beautiful view of the ocean and a private patio to enjoy the sun and view. The amentities were fine, TV, AC, hot water and a comfortable bed. The rooms are big and the bathrooms were more than adequate. The service was not bad. I would recommend this place. Its not expensive but you get more than what you pay for.

Best spot for snorkeling. Great view. Big rooms. Great location. Awesome restaurant.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Water Sports, Fishing, Diving and Snorkeling
  • Written April 23, 2007

• Rambling_Man profile photo Rambling_Man
  • Reviews: 13

Hotel: Martha's Bed & Breakfast

NOTE - there are 3 pictures that you can check out, so click around to find them.

This place was great, and it's recommended for a few reasons which I list later on... mostly because it's the best location on the island. It's quiet and it's the best beach. Everything you need is right there. The owners are also the day-to-day business managers, so you are guaranteed to have great service and be satisfied. As of December 2006, room rates were $45US/night.

Each room has cable TV and air conditioning. As somebody from a "first world country", you might be put off that there is no hot water for the showers... but this is somewhat common in countries like Nicaragua and you will quickly get used to it.

I loved it here and hope you do too. Currently they don't have a website, but call at COUNTRY CODE 505 , PHONE NUMBER 835-5930.

1) It's on the best beach on Big Corn Island... the Picnic Centre beach, which is on the west side of the island. Not only do you get the sunsets on the west side and the beach is better, but this side of the island doesn't get any wind so it's a good swimming beach. (the other side of the island is windy and not pleasant for swimming).

2) As of when I visited, this hotel is at the end of the road which makes it nice & quiet.

3) THE FIRST EDITION OF LONELY PLANET IS INCORRECT!!! This place DOES have breakfast (3 different choices) and it's included in the price of the room.

4) The owners are a married couple named Martha & Ellery. Originally from the area, they lived in Miami for years and speak English. They are kind, caring, attentive to detail and Ellery also acts as a great security guard against some pesky locals and stray dogs.

5) Everything ordered from their restaurant was great.

6) There is a upper deck that is available for guests to enjoy the sunset from above, as well as a beautiful yard.

7) There is a common living room and kitchen that can be used by hotel guests.

8) Ellery is an expert at mixing excellent rum cocktails.

• Related to: Beaches, Fishing, Diving and Snorkeling
  • Written January 9, 2007

1 of 3 cabanas they have on their stretch of beach

• metteks profile photo metteks
  • Reviews: 207

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Casa Blanca: At the shoreline

Casa Blanca, which in fact is a blue house and not a white as the name suggests, is a family run hostel/hotel next to the shoreline. I ended up here as I couldn't find any budget accommodations, which had free rooms.
I had a great stay here, and it was nice to go to sleep and listen to the waves. The hotel is owned and run by a woman, who, like many of the black women at the island, wears curlers in her hair.
Her kids were nice and we had fun playing games.

I paid 120 C for a double room (year 2000 prices). The room had a nice double bed, and window shutters to make the room completely dark and secure. The shared showers were located in a hut just outside the main house, and the toilet (no flush, just a hole in the ground and a wooden board to sit on) was located in the far side of the garden (it didn't smell). Maybe they have better toilet facilities now, as this was in year 2000.
The electricity was shut of every day from 24.00 to 14.00 as it is the case other places at the island.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written September 14, 2005

• canuckmike profile photo canuckmike
  • Reviews: 577

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Creole: A Cheap Place to Stay

This is a small hotel that is run by some friendly people. All the rooms have private bathrooms and cost US $10 for most rooms and US $15 for the big room. I would recommend this hotel if you are on a tight budget but if you have a couple of more dollars to spend I would not stay here. The walls are very thin and the showers are not properly made. Someone had a shower in the next room to mine and it soaked my stuff that was on the floor next to the wall. The next door neighbour would leash his German Sheppard to the fence right outside our window and it would bark like crazy starting at 6 in the morning. After that, the same people have a parrot that sounds like a baby crying for it's parents. It was very hard to sleep in.

Rooms come with a fan and are cold water.

• Written March 11, 2007

Hotel Creole

• canuckmike profile photo canuckmike
  • Reviews: 577

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Beach View: A Decent Place

This is the second place that I stayed in. The rooms were US $15 a night and were of decent size. The rooms had a fan and were cold water. The view from the second floor over the beach was really quite nice. The bedrooms on the main floor I found to be kinda depressing but the ones on the second floor were nice. For the most part it was a fairly decent place especially for the price. Sometimes it was hard to get a hold of the staff as there is no real front desk. So you might have to go to the building across the street to get someone if you need to.

• Written March 11, 2007

Beach View Hotel

• CulturalCompetence profile photo CulturalCompetence
  • Reviews: 102

Casa Iguana: Little Corn Island

AWESOME! We LOVED this place! We stayed in one of the little cabins that has 2 twin beds. No A/C, but the ceiling fan was sufficient. This is a really cool ecolodge. They truly care about the environment and expect their guests to as well. There is a water shortage (they "make" their own), therefore you shouldn't flush the commode unless you have "serious business." Notice in our room stated that "real men pee in the woods." It sounds gross, but it really isn't a big deal. We had the low budget room at approx. $20/night, therefore we had the "shared" shower and bathroom facilities. There are private facilities available though. Each of the cabins is on a hill overlooking a small patch of palms and shrubs and then less than 50 feet away is the sand beach. BEAUTIFUL! There is nothing like waking up to the sound of the ocean! Casa Iguana was very peaceful and relaxing. They also own the dive facility on the island. The diving was phenomenal!

RELAXING! Very cool environmentally friendly ecolodge on the beach. Each room has hammocks for you to chill in. They have an internet cafe with a surprisingly decent connection (I expected it to be super slow!). Diving and snorkeling is AWESOME! It is a very laid back place! If you don't have reservations, be sure to ask the staff at the Dive Shop to call Casa Iguana for you (this way you'll beat the people walking to the hotel!). They also have a very good internet set up (FREE to guests). Grant and Cathy (the owners) are from Florida - VERY nice people! :-)

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Beaches, Eco-Tourism
  • Written July 16, 2004

Our humble accomodations!

• CulturalCompetence profile photo CulturalCompetence
  • Reviews: 102

Big Corn Island Dive Resort: Big Corn Island

AWESOME! These really cool cabins were built and maintained by some Americans from Oregon. They are a SUPER nice couple! The cabins are HUGE and gorgeous! You can even flush the commode without any worries! These people spent a TON of money to create this resort! Unfortunately, we were there when the surf was rough so we couldn't do any shore dives. Each of the cabins has American board games and a neat explanation of the history of the resort - our cabin was the "Sea Hunt" (named for an old television show about a diver).

BEAUTIFUL cabins! Cold A/C! HOT water! The owners are SUPER nice people. The cabins are very clean and Americanized.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Beaches, Diving and Snorkeling
  • Written July 16, 2004
Tip Photo

Beautiful cabins on the beach!

• MDL1070 profile photo MDL1070

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Anastasia's on the Sea: Big corn Island

We stayed here one night while on the island. The hotel was locally staffed, all of which work very hard to ensure a pleasant stay. They charged us 29 for the night. No credit cards, cash only. Our room was facing the beach and had a gorgeous view. The wind was up very high that night. The waves were crashing into our patio facing doors. The air conditioner did not work very well. A fellow travel warned us about having a potential electrical shock hazard. This was not the first time we have heard this information, other travelers have published online the same concern. Our room did not have hot water. The hotel restaurant on the water is definitely unique to the island. The prices for the food tended to be on the high side in comparison to all other places we ate during the course of the stay. The domestic Beer prices were the highest found on island, even high than Casa Canada’s. The beer was not served properly chilled. The next morning when we got up, We took a closer look at the hotel in general. It appears to be falling behind in general maintenance. We heard the next day that some lady fell through the dock when she stepped on a weak board. We tallied up what we had spent that night: 29 for the room, 67 for food and drinks, coming to a total of 97 dollars. We decided to move on to other hotels and explore the island. With a retro perspective, saving a few bucks on the room cost us over all with the food and drink cost. There are several hotels on the island in the same cost window, 20 to 40 bracket that do have working A/C, and lower food and drink cost.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Water Sports, Backpacking
  • Written March 13, 2009

• MDL1070 profile photo MDL1070

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Picnic Beach: A nice spot on Corn Island

Picnic Beach center. The hotel is centered in the heart of the longest and nicest stretch of beach on the island. It is a bit removed from majority of the locals. We stayed here starting our second night on big Corn. The rooms cost 40 to 50 per night. The hotel was locally staffed, the staff was more than accommodating, with a goal of earning our repeat business. There was an security guard on premise every night. No credit cards, cash only. Our room the first night was in a small L shape building. The room larger than expected, with very cold AC and hot water. It cost 40 per night. The room was clean, basic, and securable. The next night we moved to the newest build room (recently finished) It is a second floor accommodation. The view from the room’s poach/balcony at sunset was incredible. This room cost 50 per night. My wife liked this room so much, she informed me we were staying put. The restaurant: The beer was served properly chilled, most times with frost on the bottles. The beer cost was 20 col. … basically 1 dollar US. We found no lower prices on the island, and we looked the island over pretty well. The Picnic center restaurant can and will compare to on the island, including Casa Canada.( Casa Canada is by far the nicest resort/hotel currently on the island, and is in its own class here) The prices were very competitive. We tallied up what we had spent the first night: 40 for the room, 47 for food and drinks, coming to a total of 87 dollars. When we moved to the 50 dollar room basic cost went up the same, an additional 10 bucks. Readers should note, we did not attempt to moderate our eating and drinking, we ate when we were hungry and drank beers “at will”. The local beer “Tona” is typical of all central American beers, and is palatable for most of us, as long as it is served ice cold. It is a fairly low threat beverage, 4.2 percent alcohol .. Fisherman: we had lots of success at night with bone fishing in the sand flats south of the hotel, near the point. I took my own rod with me, was well worth it . This hotel is a definite “Do over” for us. The room we were staying in was already reserved for our last night on island, we moved to Casa Canada for our last night on island. That will be a separate review

best walking beach on the island

• Written March 13, 2009

• michael2malone profile photo michael2malone
  • Reviews: 1

DEREKS PLACE: worst hotel on little corn

We stayed at Dereks Place on 5th. February and while we were sleeping someone broke into our room and stole our cameras and $800.00. The owner, Derek did absolutely nothing. Then we find out that there were other robberies a couple of weeks before..... more importantly, it seems his real name is Skip and he has participated in a number of scams in Granada and Managua. All of the ex-pat community know him for a full on rip off artist.
DRAW YOUR OWN CONCLUSION!! ASK AROUND THE OTHER PLACES ON LITTLE CORN.

---- RESIDENT THIEF!! WITH THE MOST BIZZARE PRESENTATION OF FOOD IMAGINABLE. THE PRETENSE OF 5 STAR WAS ENTERTAINING

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written February 14, 2008

• Zwolseboy profile photo Zwolseboy

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Paraiso: Corn Island's Number 1 place!

We stayed at hotel Paraiso while travelling through Nicaragua and we had a fantastice time there! The service, environment and food are just fantastic.
We stayed in one of the private cabanas where you have you own bathroom, toilet etc. They are really comfortable and right next to the beach. The service at Paraiso is just awesome. They really went the extra mile to make our holiday the best one ever. For example they have free room service in the cabanas! Where do you get something like that?
Paraiso organises great activities like fishing trips, boat tours, snorkelling and even waterskiing. And we rented one of their moterbikes to explore the island. All good!

Fantastic service!
Very friendly staff and atmosphere.
Privat cabanas on the beach.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Diving and Snorkeling, Water Sports
  • Written March 13, 2006