Nicaragua Hotels

• Cho45 profile photo Cho45
  • Reviews: 51

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hosta San Jorge: Cheap but clean hostel in Granada

To start with, we weren't really planning to stay at this place as we had booked online with Hotel Casa Barcelona a couple of months ahead. However, a few days before we left the US, we received an email from this hotel (Casa Barcelona) that they had transferred us to Hostal San Jorge! This was a bit of a let down as we couldn't find any guest reviews for this Hostal San Jorge. Anyway, we didn't have any choice, but to check in at this place when we arrived in Granada on the night of March 28th.

The hostel is less than a 10 minute cab ride away from the TICA bus terminal, and the fare should have been 40 to 50 cordobas (around $2.00) but we paid 120 cordobas - not a very good beginning in a relatively inexpensive country!

We stayed a total of 4 nights, and were given a double room with bathroom attached on the first floor. The room rate came up to a little over US100, so the average rate was around $25 a night. There is no air conditioning, only two fans which we had to use constantly as the only two windows in our room opened into the corridor, and not outside the building. There is a small TV inside the room with cable channels, but only a few in English. Cleaning of rooms was done only once a week, so our room was not cleaned once during the time we were there. However, the hostel itself was quite clean overall. Every morning I saw the owner and one of the hotel staff (a young guy) cleaning the grounds and the kitchen area.

George the owner did not speak English very well, but we managed to communicate using simple English. He was always around the place if you needed anything. Once we had a problem not relating to his hostel, and he helped us out with all the translation. There is a pharmacy next door which George also owns, and it seemed to do a brisk business as well. Yes, George is quite a successful entrepreneur!

There is a fairly large and fully equipped kitchen on the ground floor with a refrigerator (which was always stocked full by the people staying there) and plates, cups, cooking utensils, stoves and filtered drinking water supplied by the hostel. During the time we stayed there, I saw a number of long staying guests making use of the facilites by cooking their own meals. Laundry was also done in the kitchen by hand, and I actually washed a few of my clothes manually, something which I haven't done in ages! I had thought earlier that there would be at least one washing machine on the premises.

Beer and soft drinks are available through the same boy that does the general cleaning. I didn't get his name, but he was always busy working or doing something around the place. By the way, there is only one brand of beer there which is Tona, and is actually the most popular brand in Nicaragua. It costs just a dollar for a big can at the hostel, a little cheaper in a grocery store. Speaking of, there is a supermarket called PALI a few minutes walk away from the hostel.

The location of the Hostal San Jorge is quite convenient to walk (about 10 minutes) to the city square or Central Park. There is a big market right next to the hostel and everytime we went downtown we had to pass it. Early in the mornings, this market would extend to the street in front of the hostel, and it was interesting to see all the vendors hawking their wares.

On the second level of the hostel one can enjoy a view of the Mombacho volcano which is about 10 kilometers or 6 miles away from Granada. There are a couple of hammocks on this floor too which are quite comfortable as you can feel the breeze while relaxing on one of these hammocks, which I did a few times, hahaha!

All in all, our stay at the Hostal San Jorge wasn't all that bad, except for the heat. An air conditioned room would have been much more comfortable. If you're on a limited budget, and don't mind cooking and/or going out for meals, then this is the place for you.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Singles, Adventure Travel
  • Written January 14, 2015
Tip Photo

Me in front of the hostel

• travelerjulie profile photo travelerjulie
  • Reviews: 3

Estacion Biological Laguna De Apoyo: Birdwatching Tours in Nicaragua

We stayed at the Estacion Biologica Laguna de Apoyo for two nights and booked a birdwatching tour. We had the chance to meet other bird watchers and exchange information on birdwatching in the area, which was a change from the usual tourist converstation and a breath of fresh air. Then we were able to take part in a bird survey in Laguna de Apoyo with a local birder, which was extremely educational.

The accomodations are rustic, but you don't have to stay here. You could stay at, let's say The Monkey Hut and still take a tour or volunteer here.

This is a place for education -- it is important to conduct bird surveys regularly in order to track and interpret enviromental impact. Laguna de Apoyo in Nicaragua is one of the cleanest lakes in the country. However, Lake Managua is one of the most polluted -- and locals realize the importance of limiting environmental impact on this beautiful area. You can also take spanish classes here and I met a guy that was able to hire a private teacher providing 4 hours of spanish education - incredible! I understand that the research station was the scene of some dumb drama, but I believe this is all over now. There was no drama when we were here whatsoever. If you are interested in birdwatching tours in Laguna de Apoyo, this is the place. There is also a resident expert birdwatcher named Malcolm who is from England and is very knowledgeable about the area's birds.

• Related to: Eco-Tourism, Birdwatching, Hiking and Walking
  • Written July 29, 2014

• shavy profile photo shavy
  • Reviews: 2016

Best Western El Almirante: Short walk from the center

It's good location within walking distance to the center. The staff were very friendly and helpful, there's a small swimming pool good enough for a refreshing dive after a day strolling

They have restaurants as well, menu is available from the card. Breakfast served in the morning from 8 am - 10 am. Comfortable rooms with fridge, TV, aircondition

We have a room infront of the pool which is very easy if we took a swim no need to walk so far
Even though was only a small pool, the staff cleaning it every morning

It's rated as a four star hotel, and for the service we get is all worth it. The friendly staff the service at the restaurants are all pretty good
Once a week they have a barbecue night and reservation is needed

• Written June 8, 2013
Tip Photo

• atufft profile photo atufft
  • Reviews: 3084

Hotel Dario': Finest Place to Stay in Central Granada

This classic old building has been fully restored and the rooms are all quite comfortable. The multi-story building surround a lush tropically landscaped courtyard that focuses on a center fountain. In back is a swimming pool with a waterfall filling it that is clean and cool. Breakfast is free and very good. For lunch and dinner, the hotel restaurant is more expensive than others in town, but is also very top quality. There are several colonial hotels in Granada, so this is just one of the best.

The most outstanding part of this hotel is clearly it's architecture, which stands taller than any other buildings in town, except for the churches. This is also the best located hotel in town, being right in the center of the Calle La Calzada, the pedestrian thoroughfare in the center of the city. For those wanting the best, there are other places, but this hotel deserves first consideration.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Architecture, Luxury Travel, Historical Travel
  • Written January 8, 2013

Hotel Dario on Calle La Calzada

La Orquidea: Oasis on Laguna de Apoyo

We spent two nights on the shores of Laguna de Apoyo in this lovely guest house. I don't remember my share of the price, but I think it was reasonable. There are two houses on the property, the guest house and the owner's house. I think there are also a room or two in the owner's house for rent for smaller groups. There were about 10 people in our group and we rented the main house.

View of the laguna from the shower...you will love showering with the window open. Also late night skinny dipping on the private beach!

Hotel Colonial: Decent upgrade, good location

After 2 weeks of staying as cheap as possible, I wanted an upgrade for my last night in Nicaragua. I splurged with $45 which gave me cable TV, air conditioning & warm water. I wasn't sure if the manager was a little rude or if it was just a cultural thing or if he was really uncomfortable with a woman staying there alone. He was pleasant and I felt safe, just not overly friendly.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average

homestays: San Juan del Sur

Rather than stay at a hostel or hotel, there are women that meet the buses that come into town that rent out rooms. You can ask to view the rooms first. Often they are run just like hostels, with locks on the rooms, other guests, shared kitchens. And you can add money directly to the local economy.

Lobster Inn, Little Corn Island

Before coming to Little Corn Island it was difficult to make up my mind about where to stay. To stay in a simple beach hut on the east side sounded nice, but on the other hand they have shared bathrooms and bad looks on the doors. I had heard about thefts and also didn’t know how many people there were going to be around.
So in the end I decided to stay at Lobster Inn on the west side. It was situated near the dive centre and some restaurants. And as the island is small it was not too far to walk to the east side anyway.

At Lobster Inn I got a room with bathroom and there was a mosquito net over the bed and I got two towels, soap and toilet paper. There was two windows and I had a sea view, but also the porch outside my window. As we were never more than four guests at Lobster Inn during my stay that was not a problem, but I was told that during high season it is better to have the rooms in the back as people can stay up late talking on the porch.
I paid 300 cordobas per night, which was 15 dollars, for my room (August 2010).

On the porch there was a couple of rocking chairs and some chairs. It was a nice place to sit in, looking at the sea, maybe reading a book or drinking a cold beer.

The footpath (there are no roads on Little Corn Island) passes by the Lobster Inn and on the other side of the path is a small beach. There is a shower where you can rinse of salt and sand just outside the hotel.

In the restaurant they serve breakfast, lunch and dinner and I found the food to be good. For breakfast (egg, toast and coffee) I paid 70 cordobas and for lobster, fries, rice, salad and a Coke I paid 250 cordobas.
The staff was very kind and welcoming and I think I made good choice staying here.

• Related to: Beaches, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written January 3, 2011

View from my window

Hostel San Angel, Granada

Hostel San Angel was the hostel where I had hoped to find a room in when I arrived in Granada. It was full on the day of my arrival, but I moved there the next day. It is situated in an old house in the historical centre, just half a block south of Parque Central. Don Orlandos family is living in one part of the house and the 10 hostel rooms are situated around a small courtyard with a big mango tree and a communal area with a TV. It is a quiet place (if your neighbours are quiet) except for a few mangos that fell on the roof with a bang.

I had a small single room with a bed, a chair, a small table and a fan. And there was also a bathroom and towel and soap. Breakfast is included in the price and it is served in the kitchen. For breakfast there was bread, butter, jam, fruits and coffee, or tea. I paid 12 dollars per night (July 2009).

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written June 6, 2010

My room at Hostel San Angel

Hotel Cocibolca, Granada: Hotel Cocibolca, Granada

I had not booked a room in advanced but had a few hostels in mind. When I walked around and asked for a room it turned out they were all full though. So when they at the last hostel told me I could have a room at their hotel I went there even if it was more expensive than I wanted to pay for a room. I just wanted to leave my backpack somewhere and go out.

I got a room on the second floor with bathroom, fan and TV for 35 dollars (July 2009). It turned out the bathroom lamp did not work so I changed for another, similar room. The rooms had no character and there were little space to put your things and the walls were all white. A plus was that I could watch the news from BBC on the TV. There is a small swimming pool and a nice green courtyard. Breakfast buffet was included in the price.

Everywhere where I had been so far in Nicaragua the exchange rate for 1 dollar had been 20 cordobas, but I was told it was now different. So instead of paying 700 cordobas it was 711.something. They didn’t have change in cordobas so they asked if I could pay in dollars. I had 40 dollars and they gave me 100 cordobas back. I couldn’t resist telling them that they just told me the exchange rate for a dollar was more than 20 cordobas. So quickly they gave me 1.5 cordobas more.

After one night I moved to a nicer and cheaper hostel.

• Related to: Backpacking
  • Written May 29, 2010

Breakfast at Hotel Cocibolca

Hotel Alta Mar; Pochomil

I had read good things about Hotel Alta Mar so that is where I went after arriving in Pohomil. I got a simple room with two beds, a fan and a bathroom. The price was 350 cordobas per night (July 2009), which was the same as 17.5 dollars.

The good thing with Hotel Alta Mar is that there is a restaurant, with two hammocks, overlooking the sea. This is a nice place where you can sit and relax with a good book to read, not only when you eat.
From the restaurant there is a long stair leading directly down to the beach. At the bottom of the stairs there is a shower where you can rinse off the sand before going up again.

As Pochomil is situated by the sea there are fresh fish and shrimps on the menu in the restaurant and everything I ate tasted good.

Example of prices in July 2009:
Beer 25 cordobas

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written April 1, 2010
Tip Photo

The stairs down to the beach

Casona Colonial, León

I had not made a reservation and it was full when I arrived, but when I later in the afternoon came back to ask if they had a room for the next day there was one available at the moment (earlier someone had slept until late and then he left). I decided to change hotel at once as it would be complicated the next morning when I was going on a tour.

I got a single room with a fan and a bathroom for 20 dollars (July 2009) per night. There was a lovely garden outside the room and there are several places where you can sit down and relax. There is a kitchen, but no breakfast is served. It is also a quiet place.

If you don’t want to walk the streets alone after dark there is a bar/restaurant next door , Don Co-Co, where you can have something to eat and drink (it is closed on Sundays though).
There is a guard in the street both day and night.

• Written March 30, 2010

The garden at Casa Colonial

• DharmaG profile photo DharmaG
  • Reviews: 1

Casa San Francisco: A Small Paradise in Granada

We loved Casa SF in Granada. It's a small hotel with a fabulous restaurant and a great little bar. The staff was nicer than nice and accomodating whenever we needed helping in finding something or transportation or whatever. It's a beautiful little place, colonial style furniture in the rooms, resident green parrots and a large parrot, fountains, lush gardens and air conditioning! We stayed at the beginning of our journey, as well as the last two nights. We'd only planned on one night in the beginning and end but we enjoyed it so much we stayed longer. I couldn't recommend it more highly.

A nice (small but pretty) pool
Relaxing atmosphere
Great food and drink
Comfort without being outrageously expensive
Beautiful foliage everywhere

• Related to: Jungle and Rain Forest, Birdwatching, Women's Travel
  • Written March 14, 2010

Restaurant at Casa SF

Managua Backpackers Inn

Managua Backpackers Inn is a good budget accommodation near the big shopping mall Metrocentro and it is also near a big supermarket. Managua Backpackers Inn has got two houses in a quiet neighbourhood. In both houses there is a kitchen which guests can use and a common area with a TV. There is also one computer in each house that the guests can use for free. It think it is best to stay in the first house where there is a swimming pool.
At Managua Backpackers Inn you can book a shuttle to the airport. It is 15 dollars (August 2009) if you are alone and 10 dollars if there are more passengers.

First I stayed at the hostel one night before going to Corn Island. I had booked a single room and got a small room with a bunk bed behind the laundry room. There was a TV and a fan in the room. I went to bed early as the airport shuttle was coming at 4.30am next morning. I was just falling a sleep when someone knocked on the door to give me some money back, then it was not easy to go back to sleep. There was a very bright light in the laundry room shining through the thin curtains, but I went up to turn it off (twice). There was no private bathroom but a bathroom next to the room and it could be heard every time someone used it. First there was a very load noise from the TV in the common room, but then a night club nearby started to play very loud music and it went on to 3am. It was impossible to sleep. I think the music could be heard very loud in this room because it is outside the rest of the house. For this room I paid the single room rate which was 20 dollars (July 2009).

When I came back to Managua I stayed one night in a room in house2. I had booked a single room and got a small dorm with two bunk beds. There was no private bathroom but there was a door to a bathroom from the room, but it had another door at the other side leading out to the corridor. I wish the curtains had been thicker because outside the room there was a strong light again and this I think was a light that was supposed to shine all night. For this room I paid 20 dollars.

The next day I moved to a double room with private bathroom in house1. And this room was much better than the other two. The price for the double room was 30 dollars (August 2009).

• Written January 6, 2010

The swimming pool

Beach Hostel Oasis, Las Peñitas

At Beach Hotel Oasis I got a room with a fan, two beds and a big bathroom. For the room I paid 14 dollars.
The price in July 2009 for different rooms were:
Dorm: 6 dollars
Single: 14 dollars
Double: 18 dollars
Triple: 22 dollars
Bungalow:20 dollars

Before coming to Las Peñitas I had got the impression that Oasis might be a noisy hostel, but it wasn’t. There were a few other visitors staying at the hotel and a few just visiting for the day. One great thing is that Hotel Oasis is right by the beach and you can easily go down for a swim. As there is a lot of sand in the water and you get very sandy and salty it is convenient with the showers they have at the hotel. There are two areas with tables and hammocks under thatched roof from where you can enjoy the view of the sea. And there is a restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. At Beach Hotel Oasis they also rent out surfing boards.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel