Palo Alto, Boquete, Panama

More about Boquete Garden Inn

Great Setting

by TripAdvisor Member oceanexp

The setting of this property is great - the garden is full of birds and a gurgling river runs in back of the property. The staff is friendly and knowledgable about the area. We stayed in a unit with a kitchen which was great to be able to cook although the kitchen utensils were not well stocked (only 1 fork!).

Unfortunatley our room was the closest to the street and we constantly heard a neighbor's dog barking. Also the room could use a thorough cleaning, the floor was pretty dirty.

Fantastic staff and gardens

by TripAdvisor Member dgreen_7

We stayed for three nights at the inn, and we couldn't have asked for a nicer experience. The staff is incredible - Carlos, the manager, is a true gem. He will truly go beyond the call of duty to make sure you have a wonderful stay in Boquete. In addition, the gardens are very peaceful, perched on the river that runs through the middle of this scenic town. And the grounds are quiet, since the inn is a few miles out of town itself. You can find newer, more posh hotels near Boquete, but none with such outstanding service as the Garden Inn.

Finding The True Beauty of Panama at The Boquete Garden Inn

by TripAdvisor Member WingsOfAngels

Yes, what you have read in the other reviews, and your travel book is true. The setting, and the gardens are beautiful and full of magic. The rooms are immaculate and nicely done, but my story goes beyond the evident to the true beauty of Panama which lies in the hearts of the people.

My Mother (82) and I woke up after our first night at the Boquete Garden Inn. The sun was out the birds were singing, but my body felt very heavy and I was tired. Pushing on and not to be detoured, we headed up to a beautifully done complimentary breakfast. When I got up from the table, I noticed that the left side of my body had lost coordination and I was unable to negociate moving my left hand around to the other side of the juice glass.

Unsure of what was happening to me and what action I should take I went and talked to the new girl at the front desk. She was sweet, truly concerned, and efficient immeditely calling the Medical Clinic in Boquete to make sure the English speaking doctor was in. Then she called her Brother, Favio, who drove me to see the doctor, and later returned to pick me and my Mother up. The doctors visit ($5) and the blood panel ($31), an hour later, would prove that I should go to David to the hospital immediately.

After just one hour of being at the clinic, the doctor phoned BGI with the news. Favio and his Sister were so kind and compasionate. In just a matter of less than two hours I was completely paralyzed on the left side.

Favio and his Sister got under each of my arms, my Mother was pushing my left leg and together they got me to the car, and Favio drove us to David to the hospital. The hospital was modern, clean, and my Neuro-Surgeon spoke English. He sent me for an MRI, and other tests which took a few hours. Through all of this Favio waited at the hospital to make sure that my Mother and I were going to be okay. He did not leave us alone, and checked up on us often. It was determined that I had a Brain Tumor.

The next day the owners of Boquete Garden Inn arrived in Boquete, and came to the hospital to check on us. They brought our luggage, and offered their help. Jani and Dennis will steal your heart, with their beautiful spirits sparkling like the diamonds of a new engagement ring. They returned our rental car, and cancelled our reservations at our hotel in Panama City, and were so kind as to only charge us for the one night we stayed at the Inn. They are truly wonderul people, a treasure not to be missed on your stay in Boquete.

Elsa an English speaking liason at the hospital made all of the travel arrangements for our return back to the United States. Everythings was perfect and well executed.

THIS WAS OUR BEST VACATION EVER!! When traveling to Panama the beauty of the countryside is easy to feast your eyes upon, but search out the true beauty which lies in the hearts and souls of the people. Be sure to reach out and change your life. They have forever changed my life and will live in my heart forever. Start your seach at the Boquete Garden Inn. You will not be disappointed! Maybe I will see you there on my next trip to Panama.

PS: My Neuro-Surgeon at UCSF told me that my care in David was excellent, and that they gave me all the correct tests and medications that I should have received. The difference was that 4 days in the hospital with a private room and extra bed and care for my Mother, including 2 ambulance rides an MRI, and other tests was $1,600 in David. The same 4 days in San Francisco with private room and the same tests was $129,000! I am going back to Panama for my MRI next year which will be $600. In San Francisco the cost was $4,200.

Best part of our Trip

by TripAdvisor Member JROCK57

We recently had the fortune to travel to Panama for 10 days, and by far the best part of our trip was in Boquete, in no small part to the wonderful accomodations at the Garden Inn. Located in the best part of town, just out of reach of the hustle and bustle of downtown, in the beautiful upper end of the valley.
The rooms were immaculate, the free drink at the end of the day cold, and the staff great. Be sure to ask Carlos what to do while in Boquete, he seems to be very well connected.
Highly Recommended and can't wait to return to hike the Queztal Trail.

Watch out - they might give your room away!

by TripAdvisor Member Southseasson

Whilst in Panama City on 2 Jan '08 we phoned the Inn to book a room for three days, starting that day. We gave our name, phone number and credit card details in one call and in a subsequent call from them they confirmed that the booking was made. We flew from PC to David then took a bus up to Boquete and finally got a cab the last short distance to the Inn, arriving about 9pm. At that point we were told the room was gone. It turned out that someone with the same forename as one of us had turned up, confirmed credit card details and taken the room earlier in the day. Odd. We said that couldn't be right because we'd provided our credit card as confirmation and surely this other person couldn't have that card number - according to their records they did. Annoying.

We can't be sure but we reckon what happened is that they just gave the room to the first person that turned up to take it and then tried - badly - to talk themselves out of it when we arrived.

So, looks like a nice place but we can't confirm what it's like to stay there because they can't be relied upon to stick by a booking.

Wake up With the Birds

by TripAdvisor Member kokum

Without knowing about carnival and the rush for accommodation we planned our visit to Boquette during that time. Initially there was no room for two or three of the nights we wanted but Carlos, the manager, let us know about a cancellation as soon as it was made. He helped us make other arrangements for one night at another equally great place. We did all our prior arrangements through email as the Boquette Garden Inn staff are internet savy.
We didn't have a vehicle and made use of the local buses and taxis to get around Boquette. This was fine once we figured out where the main transportation stop was - in front of a grocery store on the main street. Our only problem was with evening meals as there is no restaurant within reasonable walking distance of Boquette Garden Inn. Getting to one of the many good Boquette restaurants was no problem as Carlos would call a taxi for us. Unfortunately the day time drivers go home at eight so we couldn't arrange for the same driver to pick us up. Some evenings we shivered at bus stops with lots of other people. We even met a woman at one bus stop who had been to Canada with the girl scouts. Other evenings we managed to find a taxi but often the evening rides were more thrilling than we wanted. The transportation was not a big enough concern to make us want to stay in the centre of town. Boquette Garden Inn is too great to miss: duvets, wonderful breakfast, birds, flowers, river, happy hour, pleasant breakfast .......

A Slice of Eden

by TripAdvisor Member enviroguyToronto

We stayed at the Boquete Garden Inn during 4 days in February. We booked directly with Janie and Dennis. Janie and staff (Carlos, J'Aime) were extremely helpful even before we got there in recommending other places to stay on our tour of Panama.
The room (upstairs in one of the small round buildings) was airy and well appointed, with facilities for making tea, coffee, toast etc.
You definitely wake up to the sound of birds here as the place is a beautifully landscaped garden by a river. We must have seen 20 species of birds here. We liked the evening get togethers at the gazebo by the river; you get to see what everybody else is up to, where they're from etc. and Janie and Dennis graciously host.
Ask the staff or Janie about guides for the Quetzal trail - they can suggest options for that trip and others in the area. We know we will be back in Panama next year and want to see other parts of the country, but definitely will try to work the Boquete Garden Inn into our itinerary.

Room for improvement!

by TripAdvisor Member ToucanHouston

Very nice setting, beautiful gardens, friendly staff, happy hour concept promotes guest interaction, breakfast quality was highly variable, attention to details were lacking, septic smell in the garden, kitchen and bathroom were not well cleaned. Heard the hotel is for sale or in the process of being sold and it showed. Active management and oversight are severely lacking. Perhaps the new owners (if any) will enhance the operation with attentiveness and involvement. Without improvements, one could probably can do better.

Beautiful Hotel - Captures Essence of Boquete!!

by TripAdvisor Member artizmart

Just returned from a fantastic trip to Panama. It was made even more special by our stop at this lovely hotel in Boquete. The grounds are beautiful and green and have a really great vibe to them -- and the hotel backs onto a river! I started off each day with breakfast on the patio and watching the birds flock around the pieces of fruit placed out by the staff. So many colours! And the atmosphere is perfect - both relaxing and energizing. As an artist it was just what I needed! Each night, the hotel offered a free drink between 5-7 at the gazebo next to the river. Nice touch. This is a great place to recharge after spending the day out enjoying what Boquete has to offer -- tree trek, hiking trails etc. The staff are friendly and the rooms clean and comfortable. Haime the office manager was very helpful, calling to find out if the public gardens we wanted to visit were open and giving us directions. Great home base to enjoy all the fun and fresh air of Boquete. Boquete Garden Inn really captures the essence of what Boquete is: beautiful, natural and exciting.

Perfect.

by TripAdvisor Member Vger6

Super friendly and helpful staff.

Gorgeous grounds - flowers and birds everywhere and the river right there - wonderful.

The breakfast in the morning was perfect; fresh fruit, eggs, refreshing Boquette Coffee...

The room was large with everything we needed - very comfortable. Our only regret is that we were there only for 3 nights - another day to enjoy Boquete and the Garden Inn would have been great.

There's plenty to do in Boquete and the surrounding area - This place is a gem for a hub in this beautiful region of Panama.

Comments