Jaramillo Arriba, Boquete, 0413-00014, Panama

More about La Montana y el Valle Coffee Estate Inn

Tranquillity and Splendor in the Mountains

Our first impression upon entering the Coffee Estate Inn was the magnificent view out over the valley toward the Volcan Baru looming in the distance. But we soon learned that there was much more to the Inn than scenery during our stay in a beautifully furnished and comfortable cottage. To begin with, Jane and Barry are the best hosts one could hope for. Immediately they came out to welcome us and provided additional information to make our stay more enjoyable. (A very detailed document with information about the Inn, restaurants and excursions in Boquete and the surrounding area, and places to visit farther away was sent to us prior to our visit.) They generously loaned books and CDs from their library. Best of all though, and most memorable for us, were the excellent dinners we had by candle light in our cottage. Jane and Barry are superb cooks! Not to be missed also is the wonderful tour of the coffee plantation Barry offers. We learned many new things about harvesting, processing, and roasting of coffee beans. Needless to say, freshly ground coffee is available in each cottage for making a pot or two to complement the muffins and other delicious breakfast items they bake. And a bowl is always full of the plentiful oranges that grow on the property for making freshly squeezed orange juice.
If you want a relaxed, tranquil place to stay that offers the best of scenery, food, and unintrusive hospitality at very reasonable prices, you can do no better than to stay at the Coffee Estate Inn for as long as your schedule permits.

a heavenly week

by TripAdvisor Member tripartist

My husband and I just returned from a week with Jane and Barry at the Coffee Estate Inn. From the moment we entered the grounds, it was heaven. Their gorgeous, immaculately maintained tropical garden was the perfect setting for our very romantic bungalow, the Jewel. Although simply furnished, it couldn't have been more comfortable and well-designed. Our view from the balcony was absolutely fantastic. We're also avid hikers, and were only twenty minutes away from some wonderful trails. And since Jane and Barry are very good cooks, we had the luxury of ordering meals before we set out, then going on strenuous hikes for many hours. We'd return ravenous to a beautifully set table on our balcony (with candles, and flowers from their garden), and set on their delicious food like wild animals. This is the perfect destination for a most relaxing vacation.

Absolutely fabulous.

We are a British couple who live and work in Mexico and we recently stayed for a week with Jane and Barry, owners of The Coffee Estate Inn. I would say that we are pretty widly travelled and we have stayed in all sorts of accomodation but this was our very best experience. After finding their website and then talking to Jane over the phone it was clear that this was the place to stay.
They gave us a high quality of accomodation but that was the least of it. They are concerned with detail, with quality of accomodation but above all with quality of care for their guests. On arrival ( we arrived early but were welcomed) we received all-you´d-need-to-know instructions and information. We were given superb coffee grown on their estate and home roasted. Each day our coffee container in the bungalow was refilled. Great! No one should stay their either without trying their excellent gourmet dinners.
They have a wealth of knowledge about Boquete and its surrounds about which they are only too ready to share. That includes very good local contacts who enabled us to explore the area in a way which would have been impossible any other way.
On their recommendation we also stayed on the Pacific coast at Las Olas Beach Resort and that provided the perfect final few days for us in Panama.
Panama is a wonderful country and its people warm and friendly but DO go to Boquete and DO stay with Barry and Jane at The Coffee Estate Inn.

Okay overpriced

I stayed there for 3 days and rate it neutral to okay. Reasons, to much money and not central.
You need a car to get back and forth from boquete to the Inn and the prices are among the most expensive in the whole area.
Barry and Jane were helpful and their coffee plantation was interesting though.

There are similar places around at close to half the price.

A Weekend in Paradise

by TripAdvisor Member ElVarguito

We stayed at La Montana y el Valle for a long 3-day weekend in April with my sister and brother-in-law, celebrating their recent nuptials. It quickly became apparent that our stay was going to be much too short. We arrived late in the afternoon as the sun was setting on the volcano across the valley, and as we entered through the security gate the scenery was breathtaking. Jane and Barry quickly greeted us and helped get our baggage to our respective cottages, and then began preparing us for what was to be the first of many fine meals they created for us, complete with a very romantic, candle-lit setting on our balcony. The cottages themselves were very comfortable and well-equipped, including coffee makers to brew the fine coffee that Barry had roasted the day before. Our balcony/porches had awesome views down the jungle of the estate and across the broad valley below, and in the three days there, I ID'd 26 species of tropical birds I had not seen before. Barry gives an excellent and informative tour of the estate and exhibition of their roasting process that changed the way that I, an inveterate coffee drinker, enjoy my brew. My wife and I travel quite a bit - having been on trips to Spain, France, Aruba and Italy in the past year - & La Montana was one of the most relaxing, enjoyable and reasonably priced experiences we have had.

Our Special Garden

This was our third trip to La Montana y El Valle (in fact we chose to bring family members along this time to celebrate our marriage) and, as always, everything was perfect! We were so excited when we returned to "our" bungalow--although all three bungalows are essentially the same with wonderful views of the Boquete valley and Volcan Baru. The nicely decorated, well-maintained bungalows are very roomy and comfortable, but we always spend a lot of time out on the balcony enjoying the lush plants and flowers that are on the grounds of the inn, and watching and listening to the many beautiful birds of the area. La Montana is close to town and close to great hiking trails and scenic drives. It is a great place to explore the Boquete area from, or just to relax. The wonderfully friendly innkeepers, Jane and Barry, are also very efficient and helpful in seeing that all of your needs and wants are satisfied. The tasty meals they prepare, and their exquisite candle-light dinner service, are so excellent that we look forward to them all day!

It would be hard to find an inn of this quality, with all its amenities and friendly hosts like Jane and Barry, at these reasonable prices anywhere in the world.

I can't wait until we return!

The place to stay in Boquete

Based on the previous review, my wife and I feel compelled to submit our experience at The Coffee Estate Inn. Our experience at The Coffee Estate Inn was wonderful. This is due to the very attentive owners, immaculate grounds, and charming and comfortable bungalows. Also, the view of Boquete and the Volcan Baru are the best in the area. Jane and Barry, the owners, are very friendly and very knowledgeable of the many interesting things to do in the area. And, they went the extra mile in numerous ways to ensure our visit was very comfortable. They also prepared the finest gourmet meals in a candle light setting. I enjoyed Barry's tour of the property as he identified the multitude of flowers and trees and made an interesting presentation on the coffee they grow and serve to their guests. This is the place to stay whether you want a quiet romantic getaway, hike on the many trails in the area, or bird watch for some of the most rare and colorful birds found anywhere. I can strongly recommend The Coffee Estate Inn with confidence as my wife and I have stayed there six times since 2002. The owners, Jane and Barry, have consistently exceeded our expectations.

The most romantic spot on the planet

If you are looking to whisk away your partner for a romantic get away... this is your spot. We celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary at the Coffee Estate Inn. It was nothing short of perfect. Wonderfully appointed bungalow overlooking the citrus trees and coffee plants and a fabulous view of the volcano. Jane and Barry were fantastic hosts, and excellent cooks. They prepared a sumptuous anniversary dinner for us.

The entire estate is stunningly landscaped with gorgeous tropical flowers. This is truly a paradise.

Boquete was also terrific. Small, rural, working class town with lots of great places to eat (from cheap to expensive). The birding is world class. We would recommend renting a 4WD vehicle in David, as there are so many fun places to explore that need serious wheels.

We HIGHLY recommend the Coffee Estate Inn.

We Loved the Coffee Estate Inn

My wife and I booked two nights at The Coffee Estate Inn in July...and it turned into three nights! It was just too nice to leave!
The whole atmosphere at the Inn is more like visiting friends. Jane and Barry are the most gracious hosts, and will do anything to help make your stay at the Inn and in Panama the best. The cabins are clean, spacious and luxuriously appointed. Don't miss an opportunity to dine on your patio. The food is awesome and the atmosphere is so romantic. We'll be back, if not to retire, at least to visit.
Greg and Denise Wilkinson, Eagle River, Alaska

Coffee Estate Inn was our cup of tea

My wife and I decided to do our 25th anniversary with an emphasis on adventure and big fun without dropping a million bucks... She likes out of the way inns and B&Bs. All I want is luxury, poolside service, and a bus boy to spray cool Evian in my face while I tan. Well, as usual, my wife won -- and the truth is, I was delighted.
The Coffee Estate Inn is a treasure of a place out in the mountains of Panama. There are only 3 guest bungalows on the estate, and they are situated so as to shield any eye contact with the other guests, their cars or even the bungalows themselves! The bungalows are simple, immaculate, comfortably appointed with Western bathrooms and beds.
The porch -- oh the porch! looks out on a stunning volcano/mountain range. All around are banana trees, coffee trees, birds of paradsie, orchids, wildlife, lush green vegetation -= a true paradise.
Jane Walker and Barry Robbins are the owners of the Inn, and they are wonderful, amazing people. Barry showed us around the plantation and gave us the story of coffee and coffee production:fascinating and fun! (Of course you have FRESH coffee in your room every day and you can buy the beans roasted for the day you leave. They are friendly, kind, helpful, funny, eager to please, and great chefs (Barry's inventing a coffee liqueur that is better than any other I've ever tasted). With some notice they prepare a fabulous dinner and serve it in your bungalow or on the porch with candle light and flowers from the estate: awesome! Barry and Jane make it all worthwhile. They know all the best places to visit and connected us with a guide in Panama City, not to mention acquiring our rental car for us.
To sum up: Boquete is beautiful, as is the territory around it. We had a blast and fulfilled our mission of adventure without financial ruin! We're already deciding when we'll return to the Coffee Estate Inn.

Comments