Isla Bastimentos Hotels

• vinz28 profile photo vinz28
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Tio Tom pension: BAd experience in islas Bastimentos

It is with a mixed feeling that we left the Tio Tom hostal yesterday.

On one side, the place is really beautiful, in front of the sea and the rooms are nice.

On the other side, we were extremely disapointed by the behaviour of the dutch couple who manages the pension. Charming at the beginning they were really antipathic at the end. Some examples:

* When we arrived we said that we would like to buy our own breakfast and so it would be nice to have 2 plates. The morning when we asked the 2 plates, we also asked two spoons (always better to eat...) and the guy answered angrily : “you begin to ask 2 plates and now 2 spoons and then what else???”
* I was using Internet and there was a connection problem and the guy said in dutch (bad luck I speak dutch) that he has had enough of all those people doing bad things with the laptop. I believe I did nothing wrong and I really said that it it was not a way to speak to customers
* When we left the hostal we had a bus travel of 8 hours ahead and we took the half a roll of toilet paper which was in our room (you never know). And suddenly, we saw the woman running to us to ask where the toilet paper was.

And then I even don’t mention the fact that they didn’t speak with us and how bad and strange the atsmosphere was.

We have spoken about this with other guests and they shared the same feeling...

Maybe a place to avoid till the owners are back, in November 2010... We do not want your stay on this beautiful and quiet island is ruined of by this dreadful couple!

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written July 5, 2010

• AnnaHermans profile photo AnnaHermans
  • Reviews: 155

Hostal Bastimentos: Clean and cheap

We liked our stay in the hotel, we did not like the island, to much crime, locals are not nice

Nice view, airco, clean

• Written November 7, 2009
Tip Photo

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Fortuna: safe place in San Jose

This clean safe hotel is in the middle of the city.its about a 2 minute walk from the central plaza .Its good value & is in walking distance from all amenities .You need to take a bit of care outside so essential to find a place you feel ok in .we spent a couple of days acclimatising & there`s some good shopping and sightseeing.
The volcano thing is recommended ,tours from there.

Very good security in not the safest city

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

hotel puerto viejo: A ggod value hangout

Our first stop outside San Jose on a well deserved 2 week holiday ,down on the coast we found this nicely ramshackled surf hotel.
Well priced & with a beach vibe. this laid back establishment is good value .
The long time owner Kurt is informative & relaxed .
With some good nearby restaurants , beaches & bars ,this is one place to kick back
& meet some interesting types.

Bang in the middle of town ,well located .Hire a bicycle by day ,enjoy the social at the hotel by night.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive

Beverlys Hill Guest House: nice & chilled

Upon arriving on this tropical island , we found Beverlys Hill .It had been recommended by some round the worlders in Puerto Viejo , Costa Rica, its well located close to amenities with some super views.
It has a lovely garden , perfect for kicking back in the hammacks.
The room was clean and comfortable & the place is well maintained , they have some charming wildlife there too which from our time included a sloth and the little red dart frogs plus some wild parrots.
The owners were hospitable & helpful though i found it strange they hadn`t yet managed to get to the national park at the other end of the island , they must like it at theirs!
We stayed a couple of extra days which out of a 2 week holiday meant we missed out on the Lost & Found near David ,but it was lovely to hang over at Wizard beach & chill in the double hammack.
Looking forwards to getting back & seeing more of Panama next time too.

The views are lovely there , our cabin had a sea view from our bed .
I know they have a cabin with a panoramic view , which was a bit more.
A nice garden & good food / ambience .

• Over60 profile photo Over60
  • Reviews: 138

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Beverly's Hill: Not Living Up to Its Potential

This guest house , located on the town's main drag, has an attractive garden setting and a nice patio for relaxing, but at the time of my March, 2009 visit, it was not living up to its potential. There were few other guests, my room could have used a much better cleaning, no soap and hardly any toilet paper were provided, and my room reeked of pot wafting up from the room below. The owner, a Brit, was cordial and answered my questions, but he clearly preferred hanging out with his friends to seeing to his property or his guests, and it was clear that the place was on a downhill slide. I would recommend it only if better accomodations are not available.

nice garden