Boquete Hotels

Our Members Say

• dtdillon1 profile photo dtdillon1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Isla Verde: DON'T STAY HERE! THERE'S A THIEF HERE!

Although this is a very nice hotel, there is something extremely "fishy" going on there! My family and I were in Panama for two weeks because I'm applying for my Pensionado Visa. We had brought a lot of cash with us to open a bank account and to pay 6 months of rent in advance on the house we intend to occupy when we return in December ($4,000.00 to be exact). We arrived on Sunday, the 18th of July, and Sabine, the manager (she's also the owner's daughter), quickly checked us in and seemed very professional and efficient. We were pleased when we saw our accommodations, and as we were just settling in, Sabine came to our door and asked if we wanted to rent the "hidden" safe in our room (it's located in the closet!). She said for a $40.00 deposit, she would give us the ONLY key, but we'd better not lose it or she'd have to keep our deposit to "buy a new safe." (In fact, the literature they leave in the room says the same thing.) Of course, I quickly agreed since I wanted to keep our money in a "secure" location. Sabine went to the office and quickly returned with what she once again referred to as the "only key," took my $40.00, and handed me the key. As soon as she left, I placed the $4,000.00 into the safe and locked it. I put the key in my pocket and it remained with me as I my family and I went to lunch and dinner and explored the town. We soon discovered that very few restaurants in Boquete take credit cards, so on Monday morning, BEFORE THE MAID HAD EVEN COME INTO OUR ROOM TO CLEAN, I opened the safe and discovered that $500.00 was missing! Since I knew the safe had been locked, and I supposedly had the "only" key, and no one else had been in the room (as far as I knew) I convinced myself that the money had actually been stolen in David or Coronado, the two cities where we had stayed the previous two nights while we were on the way to Boquete, and that I must have miscounted the night before. With no way to know for sure what had happened, I simply "wrote off" the loss and tried to get on with my vacation. I removed another $500.00 from the safe (leaving $3000.00), which I used during the next four days to buy food and some soccer balls and other items for the children at Casa Esperanza, a local school for underprivileged children which we visited. (Our intention is to open a much needed orphanage in or around Boquete, and the people at Casa Esperanza are eager to help because they know the need first-hand. The money that was stolen from us was actually stolen from the orphans we intend to help!!) Because of the loss we'd suffered, I opened the safe EVERY MORNING and counted the remaining money; I never removed any more money for our use. On Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, I found the $3,000.00 just as I'd left it. On Friday, however, I found only $2,500.00!!! I couldn't believe what I was seeing! I even had my wife double check, but sure enough, ANOTHER $500.00 was missing!! I sent one of my boys to the office to get Sabine. She followed my son back to the room and my wife and I told her what had happened. She was very non-concerned (to say the least), and her only offer was to "move the master key to another location (in her house)! " When I said: "Are you telling me there's another key?," she responded sarcastically "Of course! We must keep a key in case a client loses theirs so we can open the safe to remove the screws in the back in order to replace the safe." I couldn't believe what I was hearing! I told Sabine in no uncertain terms that if I had known there was another key, I NEVER would have used the "safe," ESPECIALLY if I knew she kept the master room key WITH the master safe key together in her home, unsecured, because her home is always filled with her friends, friends of her friends, and the like. (I could hear them "partying" all the time at night while I sat in the gazebo behind her house checking my e-mail on my laptop since the signal doesn't go far enough to reach the rooms.) My wife and I filed a formal police report, and when the police came to question Sabine, she refused to translate for them so I could understand what was being said. In addition, she claimed that because she had two dogs in her house, a thief could not have gotten in, but she failed to mention all the above people who she INVITES into her house! (I never claimed anyone "broke into" my room - there was NO EVIDENCE of any lock being tampered with; to the contrary, this was an obvious "inside job," that could only have been perpetrated by someone with access to both keys!) I don't expect that I will ever see that $1,000.00 ever again, but the least I can do is warn other unsuspecting travelers to NOT STAY AT THE ISLE VERDE as long as it is being managed by Sabine, because either she, or one of her friends, or one of her staff is a THIEF, and Sabine doesn't seem to give a damn! BEWARE, and HEED my WARNING, or you WILL be sorry, especially if you use the so-called "safe" in the room!!!! By the way, when I asked Sabine (when she insisted it had to be an unknown "outside" thief who had robbed me) what would be the reason for a thief to take only some of the money rather that all of it, she quickly answered "perhaps the thief thought if he only took SOME of your money, you wouldn't notice." WHO thinks like that? What kind of a thief would CARE whether or not I "noticed?" Only someone who is cunningly clever, I'd say! Think about it: they take some of your money the first day so you'll doubt yourself and think you miscounted or lost it before you got there or whatever, and then they take more money the day before you leave (that you won't notice is missing until the day you do leave), so that you won't have time to file a police report! Cleverly cunning, indeed!!! AVOID THE ISLE VERDE!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

There's a "safe" in each room that is NOT a safe place to put your valuables!

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written August 3, 2010

• bilgeez profile photo bilgeez
  • Reviews: 259

Pension Topas: Comfy, Quiet Place to stay

Pension Topas is about 200 meters (700 ft) from the center of town, south of the square. (Back toward David). From Central Park (Parque Central) it is a couple minutes walk or a 35 cent cab ride if you have a lot of stuff with you and can't carry it by hand.
If you have a fear of dogs, be advised, Axel has a female pit bull who hangs in the front yard, her bark is worse than her bite, however, just ignore her and go knock on the front door, if Axel hasn't already come out to greet you.
Axel Schoeb is the owner-operator of the pension, he is very amiable and speaks fluent English and Spanish, besides his native German. I spoke with him in all three during my two-night stay.
If you book a room in advance I would call, as Axel even admitted to me he only checks his e-mails every 3-4 days, so if you e-mail him a reservation, don't expect a fast reply.
See below for contact info.
The pension only offers breakfast mostly during high season (Dec - Apr), we came during rainy season (June) and there were no other guests so there was no breakfast available. Breakfast is always an extra charge, it is not included in the room rate!
But there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance. About 2 blocks away, across the main road, is Emily's a bar and grill that had good pollo asado (grilled chicken) it comes with a really nice chimichuri-lime sauce, at a reasonable price.
There is a Romero's Supermarket back toward and a block east of Parque Central which has a good selection if you want to bring you own, there is a patio on the property with dining tables where you can sit and eat.

Gorgeous park-like setting, nicely kept grounds. A creek runs just south of the property, so you have that nice, tranquil running water sound all the time if you stay in the rooms with the private baths.
There are basically three buildings. One has two single rooms Another has four double rooms and a nice covered patio with tables and chairs one can eat your meals at, if you bring your own food, foosball table and some Spanish-language magazines in a rack.
There is another building in the back that has two double rooms with private baths. I had the upper, room seven.
It is comfy, the matress is very firm. There is hot water, but you have to just turn on the hot water tap and let it run for a minute before you get it. Then adjust in the cold so you dont scald yourself! But it was hot!
The only thing I would suggest is that Axel put a ceiling fan in the room. Even tho it is cooler at night up in Boquete, it was rainy season and was very humid, I had the windows and door open at night with a decent breeze and it still was kind of muggy in the room. Maybe during dry season it's not that bad, but it could have been more comfortable.
There is no TV there, so you have to go elsewhere to get a TV fix. There is supposed to be Wi-Fi there, but my laptop didnt detect any wireless connection in my room.
The pool was kind of dirty and unkempt-looking, but it had been pouring and windy most of the time I was there, so who had time to clean the pool with all the rain? It probably looks fine in dry season.
Axel has pained some neat art work using the Tin-Tin characters on the walls of the buildings there.
Prices range from $10 for a single with shared bath to $42 for a double with private bath in high season. I paid $26.40, including tax, per night. (24 + 2.40).
All-in-all I would stay here again, just because it is very comfy and quiet. It is not expensive and I think worth the price. If the room had a ceiling fan I would have rated it a great experience.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written July 8, 2010

View of Pension Topas fm Street

• AnnaHermans profile photo AnnaHermans
  • Reviews: 155

Hostal Boquete: At the riverside

David is the helpfull owner. The riversideveiw is excellent

close to city center but quiet, you can rent a scooter here

• Written November 7, 2009
Tip Photo

• caminoreal profile photo caminoreal
  • Reviews: 46

Finca Mañana Madera: A Little Piece of Paradise

High above Boquete, on the slopes of Volcan Baru, is this charming little working coffee plantation with a single, elegant guest suite and a delightful host couple that go out of their way to make their guests feel welcome -- Texas hospitality, Panamanian style.

The accommodations are lovely, but my favorite part of Finca Mañana Madera is the Ranchito -- a gazebo situated overlooking a beautiful valley. You can look in one direction and see the estuaries of the Pacific coast in the distance. Look the other direction and see the peak of Volcan Baru dancing in and out of the ever-moving clouds, while hummingbirds sip nectar from flowers at your feet.
It's a great way to spend a few afternoon hours. You may not be able to solve all the world's problems from here, but you can darn sure escape most of them while you relax in a hammock and wonder about the names of the myriad, colorful flowers and birds all around you.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Birdwatching, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written November 4, 2009

Hamaca tiempo al Ranchito

• cbKent profile photo cbKent

Garden & Mountain Casitas: Fine Boquete Rentals

The garden casitas are located in Boquete in the El Santuario neighborhood, just above the castle. The accommodations are very clean and modern with a great room, full kitchen and king-size bedroom. We recommend this property for its location, lovely gardens and friendly hosts.

The amenities are many, large deck for dining, washer and dryer, island kitchen, walk-in shower, high-speed internet, WiFi, satellite TV, gazebo with barbecue, off-street parking and fully furnish throughout.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Mountain Climbing, Birdwatching
  • Written September 6, 2009
Tip Photo

Your mountain home away from home

• Over60 profile photo Over60
  • Reviews: 136

Pension Topas: Excellent Value and Pleasant Accomodation

I spent one night in the spring, 2009 at this very pleasant pension on the outskirts of Boquete. My room was basic and could have used a coat of paint, but everything worked and the setting was great. The pension features an attractive flower garder, a swmiing pool, an a nice patio where breakfast is served on request for an additional fee. The German owner lives on site, takes excellent care of things, and is very cordial. English and Spanish are also spoken. It's only a 5-10 minute walk to the town center.

beautiful garden and excellent breakfast

• Written May 28, 2009

• davechoate profile photo davechoate

Hostal Bouquete: Hostal Bouqete - Not Bad

Stayed at Hostal Boquete for a couple nights in a room with a private bath. The room was fine, it kind of had hot water (as long as you only barely turned on the water, it would stay hot). Its a great location, great price, and is much cleaner and quieter than many hostels I've stayed in.

On the negative side, service is horribly inconsistent. One day, they arranged a great trip for us to hike in the mountains. The next day, our laundry, which was supposed to take three hours, wasn't ready for 24. Good thing we didn't need them sooner! The worst instance was a couple showed up at 830pm (in the rain) to check in for the evening. Even though they had reservations, there was no staff present for the rest of the evening and no one responded when they called the two posted emergency numbers. Eventually they had to go find another place to stay.

Overall, I'd recommend the place and stay there again, but make sure you get there early and make sure you have the appropriate expectations.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written December 22, 2008

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

for very low budgets: Sueno del Rio

Next door to Boquete hostel is the family house-hostel Sueno del Rio with a beautiful sitting area over the river and wonderful views. The hostel is clean and the family is living in it. Prices are very low from 6-12$ for singles -doubles.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Backpacking, Women's Travel, Budget Travel

Rio Caldera

Hostal Boquete

Hostal Boquete has a great location by the river Caldera. It's a comfortable, attractive hotel with fine views to the river and its beautiful surrounding. The rooms are very clean and cozy with good beds, private bathroom and TV with only local channels. The terrace is its strong asset where guests relax listening only to natural sounds and breathing the rejuvenating Boquete fresh air.
It's very near the center so all the shops, banks, restaurants and the bus stop is a short walk from it.
Double rooms are about 30$ .

• Related to: Women's Travel, Backpacking, Budget Travel
Tip Photo

hostal Boquete (internet photo)

Pension Morilos

Morilos is a quiet, relaxed low budget place where you can experience a most familiar and friendly stay. Guests come to be friends very quickly and they gather in the large family dining room every day to exchange the daily news. You will be welcome by a parrot in Spanish..He is always making his presence notable by her greetings and her hatred for women....! Frank, the owner, is very cool and knowledgeable and can give you information on the area or arrange activities for you.
The hotel is in a large garden and there is tranquility in the night and fine odours and views of the garden during the day. Rooms are simple but spacious, clean and pleasant. The guests can use the kitchen.
It is usually booked up so it's better to book ahead. Doubles cost 16$.

Click on photo

• Related to: Women's Travel, Budget Travel, Backpacking

Pension Morilos

Cabanas Villa Louna or Villas Lorena

Next to the northern bridge that crosses Rio Caldera this lovely hotel is finely situated at the bank of the river. It is very quiet and clean and at a walking distance from the town center. The cabanas have spacious terraces with hammocks and views to the trickling river and the green surrounding countryside. The gardens are beautiful and go down as far as the river bank. The interior is very stylish each cabana being a two floored apartment with an interior balcony from the upstairs bedrooms. There is a fully equipped kitchen, a seating room downstairs, cable TV. There is laundry and transport service.. Each apartment can house 2 people but 2 extra persons can easily fit in downstairs. It is cleaned every day. Prices are 60$ for the whole cabana plus 10$ for the extra person.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Family Travel

Cabanas Villa Luna

Panamonte Hotel

This luxurious hotel has been standing in its place for about a hundred years. It was built in 1914 for the travellers who came to Boquete by train, ox cart or foot. There was no road at that time so the travellers were very tired and its owner, Joseph Wright, lured them by offering a cold guava and rum cocktail... Wright was a retired Texan railroad conductor who first built the hotel. Since then, its premises have seen many celebrities of that time enjoying the most relaxed and enjoyable holidays. Roosevelt, Igmar Bergman, Nixon are some of the names...
In 1924, a Swedish captain came to Panama and established a cargo shipping business. When he arrived in Boquete, he fell in love with the place and brought his family. He bought Panamonte in 1946 and expanded it. His wife, a fine, cultured lady transformed the place putting in the finest details, beautiful gardens and an elegant face thus turning it into a most reputable retreat for the Panamanian elite. Even the Shah of Iran chose it for an exile address.
Nowadays, having undergone recent renovations, it is still keeping its former elegant look and stylish charm. It is renowned for its gourmet cuisine a delicate combination of international and indigenous dishes. The rooms are scattered in the spacious beautiful gardens, equipped with all the amenities the modern traveller expects to find. In its spa there is a range of different packages to suit the demands of the most weary traveler. The comfortable, relaxed atmosphere attracts guests from all over the world who come here to enjoy the quiet environment, and walk or trek in the wonderful surrounding forests of the valley.
The successful recipe is the philosophy of personalised attention which keeps the guests in high spirits!
Prices range from 98 to 280$ for single rooms, and 91 to 263$ per person in double rooms
There are often special offers, for examples there is a package on offer now for 290$ for 2 people for 3days, 2 nights. Including breakfast, airport transfers, spa treatment, taxes.

email reservation@panamonte.com

• Related to: Food and Dining, Luxury Travel, Spa and Resort
  • Written July 21, 2008

Panamonte Hotel, Boquete

• jlpretty profile photo jlpretty
  • Reviews: 114

PANAMONTE INN AND SPA: SMALL QUAINT INN WITH BEAUTIFUL MANICURED GROUNDS

THE ROOMS ARE ADEQUATE WE STAYED IN A ROOM OFF OF THE MAIN BUILDING. IT HAD A CUTE PATIO

THE BAR HAS AN INDOOR AND OUTDOOR FIREPLACE WHERE GUESTS AND LOCALS GATHER TO ENJOY THE TRAQUILITY OF THE DWELLING

• Written January 27, 2008

the grounds of the inn

• theodoreconrad profile photo theodoreconrad
  • Reviews: 18

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hostal Boquete: Absolutly great!

This beautiful hostel is located right on Rio Caldera. What a better way to fall asleep in the cool night air than listening to this gorgeous rushing river. The rooms here are clean, the bathrooms are great, and it's one of the few places that have advertised "hot water" and actually had it. As much as it sounds good, when your having your night cap(s) on the patio on the river, resist the urge to climb down and drink the river water (you'll probably regret it).
This, in my opinion, is the best place to stay.

Attentive staff, very safe and secure, great location, beautiful view.

• Related to: Backpacking, Jungle and Rain Forest, Budget Travel
  • Written August 4, 2007

• theodoreconrad profile photo theodoreconrad
  • Reviews: 18

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hostal de Mendez: Clean, comfortable place to stay.

Though it is called a Hostel, this place feels more like a bed and breakfast. The second story of this house has three bedrooms, a bathroom, a kitchen for your use, and two balconys. Downstairs lives the Mendez family, so if you need anything, they're right there. The rooms/bathroom is very clean, and you're given two keys, one to the second floor, and one to your room.

Hostal de Mendez has a very good location. Across the street is a great little place with Italian food and pizza, it is just one block from the river and the grocery store, not to mention the Central Square.

• Related to: Backpacking, Jungle and Rain Forest, Budget Travel