3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Costs 36% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Playa Blanca Hotel And Resort

Beach at the Pacific side

by quime

Maybe the main beaches are on the pacific side, specially by the province of Cocle where you can stay at one All Inclusive hotels like Playa Blanca resort or Decameron* (only 49USD a day if buy it in Panama) not say it loudly!!!

Accommodations in Pamana City

by Teddy181 about Four Points by Sheraton

I stayed in the Four Points Hotel for my first and last night in Panama only because my final destination of Playa Blanca is a two hour drive from Pamana City and I had a late flight into Panama and an early flight out of Panama. I used my Starwood Points and received both nights for free. However, I pasted several other well publicized hotels in the city and thought that the Four Points was a smart choice. It was very clean, my meals there were good and the location is great! The new mall and casino "Multicentro" is one block away. I would definitely recommend this hotel. By the way, the staff was very friendly! This hotel is adjacent to the World Trade Center and across the street from Club Liquid for you party animals!

Paradise at Playa Blanca

by Teddy181 about Royal Decameron Resort

I booked this resort on expedia.com at a rate of $90 dollars per night all-inclusive! I knew nothing about this resort prior to my arrival. As a matter of fact, I only decided to vacation in Panama because of the price. So I had very low expectation for this resort. Boy was I wrong! I do not know how they do it! This resort is absolutely beautiful. Probably the best run resort I have ever been to. The resort boast a huge beach, numerous pools and restaurants. I do not know how this resort can offer so much for so little! I just hope they keep doing it! The grounds are immaculate. As soon as a leaf falls to the ground, someone is there to pick it up! Peacocks, banana trees, coconut trees, etc...
The resort is on the Pacific Coast. The water is not clear as in the caribbean. The beach is long and wide but the sand is a little coarse.

The animation team was great. Better than what I experienced in Dominican Republic. I got involved with all the dances and games. It really added to my enjoyment!

Unbeatable All Inclusive Resort

by namastedc about Decameron Playa Blanca

I've been to a number of resorts around the world, and I don't think that any can hold a candle to Decameron in terms of what you get for the money. No, this isn't club med in terms of quality, but it is VERY good, very clean, and the food is (for the most part) very tasty.

This place is good for singles, couples, and families. With 600 rooms, and another 400 or so on the way, there is a little of everything.

Food can be had at all hours of the day and night, and all food and drink is included in the price. Only bad thing is that you have to reserve a table for dinner every morning at one of the many restaurants, and if you are late you won't get your first choice - but there is always something, so you wiil eat!

The beach is beautiful, and we had no problems with jellyfish or waves. It was warm too.

The best parts of the trip for us were the nightly shows, the jetskiing (it's cheap!), and the quad tour into the mountains - it goes WAY into the backcountry!!! Great Staff
Great Rooms
Good Food
GREAT location!
The travel agency attached to Decameron STINKS!!!! If something can be messed up, they will mess it up for sure. Other than that, all other staff are great.

The Quad Tour from the Decameron Playa Blanca

by namastedc

The Decameron Resort at Playa Blanca contracts out with some adventure company that runs 'quad tours' into the mountains.

I was skeptical about the tour at first, but it turns out they were just testing our abilities to ride the quad. Once they saw that everyone was okay at riding, we went on the real tour.

The tour passes through many villages, after crossing miles of beach. After going through several river crossings, you head into the hilly region miles away from the beach. The riding is difficult, but not impossible. You are OUT THERE!! It was amazing, and the views were phenomenal. I cannot exaggerate how great this tour is - you will be so happy you did it!! The guides are great, and the machines are 4-wheel drive (so they can take the rough terrain).

Just Perfect!

We "passed" by and ended up staying 6 days!

What a beautiful place to be, my family got together and it was magical do it at Playa Blanca Resort. The staff was very friendly and helpful, kept us entertain and we had so much fun and a wonderful time.

DJ Edgar played every single song we wanted to hear to relax or dance! The food was delicious, all the natural fruits and vegetables from Panama to the max! The place is just nourishing to our sight! Clean, beautiful, peaceful...

We are sad that our vacation is over... but we'll be back as soon as we have a chance!

Thank YOU: Renato for your hospitality, Abdiel at the Front Desk for your great customer service and all assistance,
DJ Edgar (Aguilar) and Jonathan, Tia Itziaris keeping us and the kids entertained. To the Chef for the great food, The life savers: Antonio and Edgar for all the attention and help taking care of the kids.

We miss you all!!! Keep the good work!

Your girls from Miami... Carla & Patty

And the Celis-Paredes Family! Hasta la vista!!!

Lovely relaxing resort

by TripAdvisor Member Gambler

Our family of 4 (including a 15 and 11 year old ) thoroughly enjoyed a 4 day stay at Playa Blanca last week at the end of a ten day trip to Panama. It was a toss-up between Playa Blanca and the Decameron and I am glad that we chose the Playa Blanca. It was quiet, pretty, clean and relaxing. The scale was manageable. If you are interested in more night life or party action it probably is not a good choice although there seemed to be plenty of drinking options and festivity around the pools. It was very comfortable for a family. There were a number of central American guests as well as lots of Canadians and an influx from Panama City for the weekend.

We stayed in buiding 700 with a view of the ocean from our little balcony. Not all of the buildings have ocean views. The room was not luxurious but was very clean, simple and spacious with double beds and good air conditioning.The resort provided bottled water and 'clean' ice so we drank what they served and ate all of the foods and none of us got sick so they are careful with washing vegetables, salads etc. Mattresses were firm - bed linens were worn but clean. Housekeeping services were good and the staff was quite responsive and friendly. We enjoyed relaxing by the beach and swimming in the pools.The quiet pool seemed almost completely empty - most people sat by the activities pool and a few sat by the ocean. We loved the long expansive beach and the warm water. Every day we had some time out of the water due to possibl etingrays but we had pkenty of ocean swimming time every day too.

The food was slightly above average by hotel bufffet standards and there was plenty of it. Grilled simple fish dishes, fresh fruits and burgers were fine. Make reservations at the ala carte restaraunt for dinner when you want filet mignon and an air conditioned dinign experience. For lunch we prefered the beach restaraunt lunch which has a gorgeous view and is breezy and food is ordered from a menu - no buffet. None of the restaraunts seemed overcrowded and we never had to wait long for service. The Playa Blanca staff was very friendly and helpful - many did not speak much English so trying your Spanish is helpful! Although everything is all included a tip at the meals was really appreciated.

Try the horseback riding on the beach ($15 per hour)- lots of fun. We took the snorkeling tour ($40 per person) and were disappointed - water was rough and we saw no fish and I had the feeling that is not unusual. We did see the remains of General Noreiga's beach house on the boatride back and it was nice to be out on the water. There were no lifejackets on the boat so ask for one if you want one before you get on. My 11 year old is a good swimmer but would have had trouble with the heavy waves and strong currents without a lifejacket and she had the only one on the boat.

Word of caution - in the Moon guidebook to Panama (by William Friar (Excellent guidebook) we read that a bar called Pipa's on the beach was a good local place to try. It is a short drive down a dirt road between the Playa Blanca resort and the nearby Decameron resort (3 km from Playa Blanca). Don't try it by car. We drove down the dirt road and went through a dowtrodden neighborhood squeezed between the big western style beach resorts of the DeCameron and Playa Blanca with lots of children and people on the dirt road. Based on the looks we were getting we felt uneasy parking and decided to turn around and drive back. The children had placed a bunch of bottles in our way throughout the road and we were faced with an obstacle course/gauntlet of bottles. Two young boys ran after us and tried to hurl a log at our car. We were obviously not welcome in their neighborhood. If you want to reach Pipa's by walking down the beach you might fare better. It is probably about a 10 minute walk from Playa Blanca. We decided not to bother. Don't let this scare you away from Playa Blanca or Farallon - just be wary of this neighborhood.

Our kids liked the evening shows at Playa Blanca and had a great time playing with a few stray kittens around the resort. There was a listing of daily activities that was given us at check-in time inclduing water aerobics but we never saw any of these activities actually happen and we were just as happy to read, relax, sunbathe and swim. We would not hesitate to go back to Playa Blanca.

All in all we took a 10 day trip to Panama and first spent two days in Panama City at the Intercontinental Hotel and two days in the Gamboa Rainforest resort. So after several day tours we were ready to relax at Playa Blanca. If you come on your own and not as a big tour group and have a chance to spend a few days in Panama City I highly recommend that you take the Ancon Expedition day tours- check out their website. Their guides are excellent as is their English and they will pick you up at your hotel in a small air conditioned toruing van. We did 3 full day tours: day#1 of Panama City and the old city ruins and Cacsco Viejo along with the Milaflores Locks and Panama canal tour and lunch on the Amador Causeway (with Doris), day#2the full day boat tour of the Panama canal and rainforest expedition where we saw monkeys, caymans, toucans etc and boated in the Panama canal with a small group and the naturalist and captain and had lunch on a deserted island in the Canal(with Christian) and day#3 the full day tour to visit an Embera Indian village after a 45 minute ride in a dugout canoe on the Chagres river through pristine rainforest along with a short hike to swim in a waterfall (with Kenny) - including lunch prepared by the Emberas along with traditional dancing and an opportunity to buy their crafts - this day tour was the hilght of our trip to Panama. The Ancon guides seemed much more knowledgeable than the naturalists at the Gamboa rainforest resort and spoke better English. We did enjoy the aerial canopy tram at the Gamboa rainforest and their night rainforest tour. But the Gamboa rainforest resort seemed understaffed and the staff was unattentive and laconic. The food was poor overall . Still, the setting made it a very memorable place and it is worth a one or two night stay. The Intercontinental is very comfortable in Panama City with phenomenal ocean views of the canal and a great pool (the best pina coladas in Panama)and an excellent breakfast included. When we were finished with the day tours we rented a car in Panama city from Hertz (they drop the car off at the hotel and pick it up for you at the hotel too)and made the 1-1/2 hour easy drive to Farallon to stay at Playa Blanca. It was nice to see a bit of the countryside. It would be very easy to drive to Anton Valley from Playa Blanca (about a 30 to 45 minute drive) but we never got around to it! Next time...

Good Sunny Fun

by TripAdvisor Member Uncle_Fester-67

Travelled to the Grand Playa Blanca on March 13-20th, 2006 and had a great vacation. Rooms were not extravagant but roomy, clean, comfortable and well attended. Check-In was a well oiled machine. Luggage is taken in separate vehicles and placed in your room awaiting your arrival. You simply give your name to your host and they hand you your room keys. We were less than two minutes in the lobby. There are two large clean pools. One for those wanting peace and quiet and one for those wanting a more social and active environment. The food was good. Usually something for everyone at the Buffet. Snack Bar food was also good but could use some more manpower during peak hours. The A La Carte's were also excellent and you can use them as many times as you would like. If you enjoy lobster my wife strongly recommends paying the $20 (when you make your reservation) at the a la carte just off the buffet. It's grilled and one of the best she's ever had. Drinks are plentiful and there are plenty of bars to serve you. If you're looking for white sand and clear blue water this isn't your resort. The beach is nice and there is always a breeze but the ocean is only available when the tide is in. We never saw the stingrays but heard enough warnings to avoid taking any chances. You can walk miles in either direction and enjoy the sun. We took advantage of the horseback riding. We went in the morning when the tide was out or low and trotted or galloped for an hour up and down the beach and even waved to the President of Panama vacationing with his family. I'm not a fan of the nightly shows but I know my family and our group of friends thought they were extremely well done and quite entertaining. If there was a common complaint it regarded the "Animation Team" who really were invisible during the day. They could have done so much more to start various activities and really made no effort to do so. The Resort gives you an itinerary of activities and nothing ever comes of those events. So you make your own fun and that's exactly what we did with over 200 other Canadians especially our good friends from Waterford and Trenton. Overall it was a wonderful experience and a great value. Hasta Luego Amigos.

Had an Amazing time

I just wanted to say that I had an amzaing time again at this hotel. I stayed back in Nov. 2005 and returned with my mother in Jan 2006. I have stayed all over from Cuba, Mexico to Dominican and this hotel is above the others. The Playa Blanca Hotel has great staff from animation (one of the best I have ever seen) to the restaurant and Bar staff. They are willing to please you and the service is quick! The rooms are very spacious and clean and the washroom aswell. The hotel grounds are always kept cleaned. The only thing I would have to say negative about the hotel is the Beach. The beach is very, very clean but, the water has Sting Rays. The life guards are very careful and warn guests with different flags on the beach at all times. The sand is white and the water a little dark but, they have wonderful swimming pools. The snack bar has burgers, fries, steak and salad and the food is wonderful.

Anyways will be back to Playa Blanca because they are truly worthy!!
Michelle (Toronto)

a good value -- but not upscale and caters to Latin Americans

by TripAdvisor Member JEFFfromChicago

OK, after reading various reviews and staying there for 3 full days earlier this month I felt the need to write my own review. Keep in mind as I write this review that it is from a strictly American traveler point of view as I don't want to offend Latin American reviewers and friends.

For the price you pay, Playa Blanca is a palace and a great value-- much less expensive than competing resorts (Decameron) and I can't think of anywhere else in the world with those types of all-inclusive prices. So the value is there --- here are my key comments both positive and negative:

Positive:
the food at the 2 sit down restaurants are excellent.
all rooms have balconies either overlooking pool or beach area.
2 large and nice pools with plenty of seating (at least in July), clean pools and good water temps --- nice kids pool area.
wide, expansive, uncrowded beach.
room is simple and adequate --- air conditioning works great (you'll want it to work on this scorching hot climate).

Negatives:
This resort caters to Latin American clients --- meaning while there is english proficiency at the resort, the service, shows, clientele, etc.. are ALL spanish-speaking and they have limited translation. in our case it was good to expose our kids to speaking spanish but some gringos may feel uncomfortable. Nice mixed clientele from Panama, Colombia, etc.
Lots of insects in and around the resort -- I guess that's part of Panama travel but rooms and restaurants frequently had critters (ex, lizards, roaches, bugs, crabs, etc, etc) which is unavoidable in tropics.
Beer comes from the tap and wine selection is limited and cheap tasting.
The woman in charge of the "kids club" is a bit rough around the edges and abrasive.

All and all, an outstanding value but if you are looking for luxury along the lines of a major hotel chain, then you may be disappointed. I was not at the Decameron but I'd imagine that hotel to be superior.

Fishing in Panama in May....

by ALPHI2

My brother and I are planning a sightseeing/fishing trip in mid-May for two weeks. And like most fisherman, we'd like some local knowledge. We'll be spending some time around David, Playa Blanca, Panama City, and maybe Coiba Island. We're looking for inshore or nearshore fishing for snook, snapper, grouper, and local reef fish. Not interested in large charters for sailfish, marlin etc. Small, dependable locals who fish those areas regularly. Any suggestions, or comments appreciated.

tours in cocle

by natoli

what are the best tours to take in cocle, also the best tours in panama city will be staying at the gomboa rain forrest resort would like to know where to go while there

Re: tours in cocle

by alek_panama

Hi there,

Cocle have two attractions beaches and Vally

Beaches you have private and public and about Vally you have small town called EL Valle de Anton if you are looking for.
What you can do in El Valle, you can do tracking, hiking, birdwatching, horseback riding and then you can seat for good lunch in town.

Also to get some ideas what you can do on your vacation check out this page I found it very good source to find a day trips and you can talk with them for prices. www.ecolinepanama.com

Alek

Re: tours in cocle

by Panama507

Natoli:

In cocle Province
You can Visit the following
El Valle Town, a small town inside a valley of an extinct volcano !
El Caño, Archealogical site, small area, stones, and burrials by precolumbian indians, itsa a small place.
Playa Blanca Resort, Farallon Beach
Santa Clara Beach
Penonome Town, its a town, nothing tourist

hope the info helps

Planning on our first trip to Panama

Hello Everyone,

We will be traveling from Milwakee WI/Chicago are in mid October, we will have 5 dyas to play with. I did reseach Panama on internet, but so many cool places to see that I gave up, so we are very interested in 5 days of total relaxation, great beaches like in DR, smaller towns and good local meals. We do prefer the east side, I found few of these cool looking islands but no idea on location, would like to visit and play on one of them.
I also heard of cabanas on water, that perhaps might be of interest to us.
We are both around 50 years of age, most of our friends are in late 20's to late 30's, my son keeps asking to grow up!

Side note, we also travel as a group of 20 to 30 every January.

Hope you can help in directing us.

by iwys

I was in Panama for 15 days last month. The islands are Bocas del Toro. Stay on Isla Colon and travel around by boat. There is one place there which is paradise: Cayos Zapatillo.

They are off the Caribbean coast, just south of the Costa Rican border.

Thanks for the advise,

I know you are not a travel agent, but any idea where we would be landing in Panama?

by bocasjoe

If you are going to Bocas you will initially land in Panama City or San Jose, Costa Rica. Airfares to SJ are sometimes cheaper. From there you can fly to Bocas or take a bus. The bus trip from San Jose is pretty cool and cheap. It leaves at 6 am and you are on the island by 4 pm, after transferring to a taxi at the border and a boat to the island. I've not taken the overnight bus from PC to Almirante/Bocas. RT plane fare from PC is a little over $200 inc taxes and around $275-$300 from SJ.

Joe

Thanks for your post,
Any idea how long of a drive from Panama City to Bocas, my travel agent tells it is to far and advises me to stay at Playa Blanca or Resort Internacional
Playa Bonita , I have no idea if this area is cool or not.

by bocasjoe

The drive from PC to Bocas is 10-11 hrs from what I've heard and read. Haven't done it. No place to drive on the island. Most people that do drive leave their vehicle at a paid parking area in Almirante and take a water taxi to the islands. There are only a few paved roads in Bocas. Cheap taxis everywhere. Very laid back place. Great food, cheap drinks. Very friendly people. Hotels in town or completely isolated.

www.bocas.com

Enjoy, Joe

by ChrisMike

Any comments on those 2 areas, my travel agent recommends it.
Playa Blanca Resort or Resort Internacional Playa Bonita ,
I have no idea if this area is cool or not. How are the beaches?
Small towns near by?