Hotel Bella Vista

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Panamá City

Western edge of the Casco AntiguoWestern edge of the Casco Antiguo

Entrance to the ChurchEntrance to the Church

Looking out to the Pacific from Las BóvedasLooking out to the Pacific from Las Bóvedas

Downtown Panama CityDowntown Panama City

8 hours in P. City

by flynboxes

My girlfriend has around 8 hours between flights on a Saturday. Gets in from LA around 10 am or so. Any interesting things to do on a Saturday ie: a unique tour of the city/canal or is there a safe part of the city to wander around and stay busy for half a day?

Thx

Re: 8 hours in P. City

by gdilieto

An 8-hour layover is enough to visit Panamá City's two top sights, the "Miraflores Locks" on the Canal and the historical colonial neighbourh "Casco Viejo".

You can hire a taxi at the airport and get to the Miraflores Locks where you an easily spend 2-3 hours watching the ships going through the locks and visiting a well-worth museum on the history of the Canal.

Second part of the day, ask the taxi driver to get you to "Casco Antiguo" and visit the churches and buildings of the historical colonial city as well as enjoy the view of the bay. You might spend 1-2 hours visiting Casco Viejo.

If you still have 1 hour to spare, ask a taxi driver to take you to the top of "Cerro Ancón" (the hill where you see the big Panamá flag), the best observation point in town to enjoy 360 degree view of the city and the Canal. It is worth it.

That should make your day. Taxis are cheap, (generally) safe and reliable; the best way to navigate through the city.

Enjoy Panamá City!
Giuseppe

Re: 8 hours in P. City

by flynboxes

Gracias G...will let her know.

Travel Tips for Panamá City

Panamanian Beers

by bilgeez

OK, I´m a beer connosuer, I have to check out the local brews wherever I go. Panamainian beers were unknown to me before I moved here. I have found them to be a pleasant surprise.
They have an award winning beer now, Cerveza Panama was given a gold medal at the International Brewers Contest in 2008. It is my prefered local beer, but the others are also very drinkable and perfect for the climate, a real treat on a hot day! I love to sit on my patio nearly every evening, and listen to the forest and look at the stars with a local beer.
The locals generally get one of the five local beers; Atlas, Balboa, Cristal, Panama, or Soberana.
The first two are from Cervezaria National and Atlas is the most popular, sort of the Budweiser of Panama, but not really the best tasting, in my humble opinion. Balboa is better tasting, but not as good as the latter two. Panama is made by Cervezaria de Panama in Chiriqui. My wife tells me the brewmaster is German, and this beer is definetely a German-style Lager. It is the best tasting to me, and the one I prefer to drink. I didn´t try it at first because I read that it wasn´t that good, but now that I tried it, I think the person who judged this beer as substandard was all wet! Soberana, is also good, it is my second favorite of the locals. It is a nice, light beer and is great for a hot day! Cristal is a pilsner that is also made by Cervezaria de Panama, that is a decent pilsner, but not as good as Cerveza Panama.
I hope if you like beer and visit Panama, that you will try the local beers. For one thing, they are cheap. A returnable bottle is 35-40 cents, plus ten cent deposit. But they are only 9.5 ounces. They sell 12 ounce cans for about 55 cents, each, usually they are a little cheaper in the larger super markets than the local "Supermercados", which are convenience stores. Except in Panama City, the beers are sold loose on the shelf in bottles or just in returnable plastic cases, or loose or only in six-packs in cans; but now you can get blister-wrapped 12-packs of Atlas and Balboa. They only tend to come in the 9.5 oz bottles or 12 oz. cans. I have gotten 12 oz bottles of Soberana and Balboa in restaurants, however, I have not seen that size in the stores except for one liquor store in Panama City. That may be a limited thing.
Well, not all Panamanians are as depicted in the attached photo, but Panama is third in per capita beer consumption in Latin America, behind Mexico and Venezuela. They are also in the top ten in the world. Panamanians do love their Atlas beer! Also brewed here by license or because the brewery is owned by the parent company; Budweiser, and Guiness Stout.

The rainmobile

by kyoub

We took a taxi from the city out to the Soberania National Park. It was about an hours drive. We had made arrangements to be met in the parking lot at 6:00am.
We arrived early, it was still dark but we could hear the Howler monkeys all around us.
Soon a little green golf cart type thing, called the rainmobile, showed up and the driver took us to the tower.

Steaks and Light Fare

by navyisland about Market

The owners are from La Posta where weve been regulars for years now. What a joy, MARKET has fresh fruit juices, steaks salads, cebiches and lighter fare in a breezy fresh space. 400 wines on the list at very fair prices. Rib Eye, aged approx. 30 days this angus beef was packed with that New York steakhouse flavour, charred outside and juicy inside. Creamed spinach was super.

El canal de panama

by schlumpf

Well, what to say about it?! You gotta see it, you gotta watch a ferry cross the canal...it is an amazing experience!!!
When somebody is talking about Panama, the thinking immediately after is his canal, so, why shall you miss it?! No way folks!

Parque Metropolitano

by peggydaly

Such a welcome break from the noise and traffic of the city. There are a number of trails, all of which are fairly low-impact, very green and very pleasant. lots of birds everywhere! mot mots, honey creepers, oropendulas, warblers, and more. they say there are monkeys and sloths but if there are, don't count on seeing them.

On the mono titi trail there is a mirador that looks over the canal/soberania on one side and over the city on the other (my main panama page has a pic)

Be sure to visit the visitor center first ($2). I went once and had the taxi drop me at the gate by the upper trails and they sent me back down to pay at the center.

Comments