The Balboa Inn

Cruces 2311A, Balboa, Ancon, Panama City, Panama

• AnnaHermans's Profile Photo

Dutch oasis in quiet neigbourhood

very friendly and helpfull. Nice neigbourhood, close to canal and Albrook.

Unique Quality: Nice neigbourhood, Gina is very helpfull

Directions: Neigbourhood Balboa close to cerro Ancon adn Albrook Mall

• Your home in Panama

We stayed 3 days at Balboa inn at the beginning of our 2 week stay in Panama. We had read great things on Trip Advisor and were not disappointed.

Thorwald & Gina are great people and were really, really helpful in answering any questions we had about getting around in Panama City and nearby attractions. The were especially helpful in sorting out hotel stays and flight arrangements to Kuna Yala (San Blas)

Our room was small but comfortable and kept spotlessly clean. The breakfast bufffet was extensive and with different daily specials each day. The neighborhood is very nice and safe with lots of trees and birds.

We felt at home straight away and that feeling stayed the same throughout our stay.

Thanks for helping to make our time in Panama so memorable!

Unique Quality: We loved the neighborhood: very green and safe, soooooooooo many birds!

Directions: Close to Niko's Cafe

• Great new Bed & Breakfast at convenient location

Recently opened,The Balboa Inn is a nice Bed & breakfast in Balboa at just a 5 minute taxi drive from Casco Viejo. The location is great. Safe, quiet and easy to get around. The Amador Causeway is within walking distance.

The friendly Dutch owners go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable and help you to make the most out of your time in Panama.

They have 8 nice rooms, all with private bathrooms and very quiet split airconditioning units, a room safe, TV/DVD, WiFi and ceiling fans.

A beautiful garden and outside terrace complete the package.

Highly recommended and a great deal.

Unique Quality: Location if you care for a quiet place yet close to everything. Very helpful staff. Great breakfast!

• Found a great Bed & breakfast

We stayed in the Balboa Inn last week. It's located in -guess what - Balboa, which is between the Panama Canal entrance and Panama City. It's a very quiet and safe residential area and the staff is very helpful in arranging tours. We visited the Canal visitor center and took the train accross the istmus. We also hiked all the way to the top of nearby Ancon Hill. Awesome views of the city. The other day we drove to Casco Viejo (5 minutes in taxi) and visited the Amador Causeway to rent bicycles.

It's also 5 minutes by car from the domestic airport where you'll catch your flights to Contadora or San Blas

The owners are Dutch and between the two of them they speak 7 languages!

This B&B has a great covered terrace with a beautiful garden around it. One morning we saw 4 tucans and a 'neque' (aguti?). Very cool!

Check out their website at www.thebalboainn.com

Scott

Unique Quality: location, garden, friendly service, tour assistance, baggage storage

Directions: area behind HSBC bank

More about The Balboa Inn

Great Stay

by TripAdvisor Member Snarf1949

We had a wonderful two day stay where the hosts went out of their way to make our stay a very pleasant one. Thorwald arranged for pickup at the airport and he personally drove us to the nearby Albrook Mall as well. Would highly recommend at stay at the Balboa Inn in their tranquill setting.

Couldn't beat the price

by TripAdvisor Member tanton

Finding a hotel in Panama in September was a trying experience since all the decent ones were over $125-150 a night. I had settled on the Marriott Courtyard - even though there were warnings re: construction, etc. Well, I kept searching every week for price changes, and stumbled on to the reviews on TA. That was the best find.
I contacted them immediately, securing a room for $75/night.
We were thoroughly delighted with the location, the staff, the facilities. Only thing missing was soap. Yes, soap for bathing (fortunately, I always travel with a bar).
My wife and I left for a couple of days to Royal Decameron and were touched that the Balboa staff were concerned that we'd disappeared without letting them know of our whereabouts.
I would recommend this facility - mainly for couples; it is so quiet and relaxing!

Very accommodating

by TripAdvisor Member Silvertip

We have recently retired and moved from Colorado to Panamá. One of the most complicated processes was importing our 2 old Labrador Retrievers. The dogs were to arrive at Tocumen Airport, in Panamá City, and be released from the quarantine inspection station at about 3 p.m. Our new home is in Volcán, almost 300 miles away. We didn't want to subject our dogs to the stress of another flight, and an 8 hour drive, at night, was out of the question. We needed to spend the night in Panamá City... In over 2 years of traveling back and forth, we have stayed in more than a dozen Panamá City hotels and B&Bs. Some were fancier, most were not as clean and well maintained as The Balboa Inn, but none of them would allow us to spend the night with our dogs. Thorwald, the innkeeper at The Balboa Inn, was willing to make a special arraignment so that we could spend the night and drive safely, the following day. The room was clean, the neighborhood was excellent for walking, and breakfast was cooked to order. We appreciate the staff and will be staying there (sans dogs) again.

Cozy, quaint, and affordable

by TripAdvisor Member TravelHappy365

I spent about a week searching for places to stay in Panama. All of my finds were either too expensive or had terrible reviews. Luckily, I stumbled across the Balboa Inn on TripAdvisor. I immediately made my reservation. Over the 5 days that I was there, Thorwald and Saskia, the owners were extremely accommodating. Gina, who works at the front desk was also extremely helpful. The hotel is new, clean, comfortable, and has everything one would need for a comfortable and enjoyable stay. The location is off the beaten path, which I enjoyed. I was able to walk to the neighboring towns and see how the locals lived. The Balboa Inn was exactly what I was looking for in my trip to Panama and I'm so glad I found it. I can't wait to book my return trip!

Balboa--Your Casa away from Casa

by TripAdvisor Member thinkdreambelieve

My husband, 2 kids (7 & 10) & I enjoyed a stay at the Balboa Inn as an end to the summer. We were supposed to split our stay in Panama between the Balboa and the Gamboa Rainforest Resort & ended up cutting our stay at the Gamboa to just one night after enjoying the service, tranquility and casa-away-from-casa feeling at the Balboa. We prefer staying in smaller places and some don't allow kids, but we were thrilled that our children were not only welcomed, but encouraged to enjoy their stay as well. Sandra took our kids out each morning to the best bird spots, pointed out the critters in the back yard and cooked the best breakfast to order for their picky appetites!! We dined with new friends from the U.S. each morning and one day even had a toucan swoosh over our heads! The taxi driver, Raul, that the Balboa arranged for us from the airport is such a good man; we chose him as a tour guide/driver over some of the other options. We loved that our room had no tv or phone, but both were available in the main room if we needed (as well as internet.) Our hosts were so great about recommending nearby restaurants and events that were going on around town. Unlike some B&Bs that I've been to, they weren't overly imposing in our time & space, but were there when we needed them & genuinely cared about us enjoying our stay in Panama.

!!!Excellent location with super services!!!

by TripAdvisor Member GYPSY1321

From Boynton Beach, Florida we just recently traveled the first time to Panama and spent a week in the lovely Balboa Inn. Conveniently, Thorwald the Dutch owner arranged a friendly taxi service to pick us up at the airport. We were welcomed by Juana the courteous guest greeter, who accommodated us in our very clean and comfortable room. We enjoyed the breakfast, which was freshly prepared by also Juana. We received all kind of useful information from Gina at the front desk and as well as from the owner. They both speak fluent English and Spanish, which is a plus to all visitors.The Balboa Inn is located in a safe and charming residential area, convenient to all amenities as well as to the famous Albrook Mall. (taxi ride $2.00)
We would highly recommend to stay @ Balboa Inn, can't wait to go back. We wish all the best to the owners and his employees and our appreciation for their great services. Edith and George

Comments